PDA

View Full Version : Who's Goin' PARuck 2005

willyhort0w2
12-27-2004, 19:56
Just wondering who will be in attendance for the 2005 PARuck at the Iron Masters Mansion(pine grove furnace state park) Jan 28, 29, 30th 2005

Crash
12-27-2004, 22:25
I plan on crashing there. Can't wait to go. Any other hammock hangers?

Crash
12-27-2004, 22:41
http://www.artofthetrail.com/paruck.html

willyhort0w2
12-28-2004, 02:06
I canceled my trip on Jan 2 from Caledonia to Duncannon so I can Hike to the Ruck from Harpers ferry to the Ironmasters Mansion in Pine Grove Furnace. If any one would like to tag along I am statring on Jan. 22(I hope, unless my plans fall through) If anyone is interested let me know

Lone Wolf
01-16-2005, 19:39
I'll probably make this one too.

Boo Boo
01-18-2005, 20:46
I'm currently hanging out in Maryland trying to make my way to North Carolina. I heard about the PA Ruck this afternoon, and now i'm interested in going. I just don't have a ride. If anyone is coming up from down here, please let me know. I'd like to get up there and see some other thruhikers.

Peace and grooviness.

-Boo Boo

GA=>ME=>?? '04

cell phone: 863-677-0797
email: [email protected]

Lone Wolf
01-27-2005, 09:37
Anybody here going?

Mouse
01-27-2005, 12:37
I will be there. After all, it is not far from Philadelphia.

Boo Boo
01-27-2005, 16:41
Right now I know Pegasus (AT '04), MountainMan (Damascus, VA), and Coyote (AT '04) and I (Boo Boo AT '04) are going to be there. Beatbox (AT '04 is going to try and go, but might only make it for Saturday. I think I'll be camping somewhere...don't know where yet.

Any ideas? Strapped for cash over here...

Jack Tarlin
01-27-2005, 16:59
BooBoo--

If you're still in Maryland, you might want to call Laura and Ron an the Outfitter's in Harper's Ferry to see if they are planning to attend; if they are, I'm sure they can pick you up somewhere in Maryland. Try (304) 535-2087

If you're farther south, give Miss Janet a call. And if you can get to Damascus, I think Lone Wolf was planning to go.

Boo Boo
01-27-2005, 19:42
Thanks, Jack.

MountainMan and I are currently sitting in Boone, NC doing laundry. I think we'll be headed late tommorrow afternoon. Probably leave from Damascus in the afternoon.

Still looking for some stealth sites. Know any good ones, Jack?

Thanks again...

Jack Tarlin
01-27-2005, 20:11
Stealth sites where?

Last time I was at the PA Ruck, you could camp for cheap within Pine Grove Furnace Park; it's best to split one site amongst several people as I remember you could have several tents on the same site. This is inexpensive and leaves you close to the hostel where everything is taking place.

If you want to camp outside the Park, follow the Trail North (it's dead flat) around half a mile or so (it's very quick) and there's a beautiful spot on the right of the Trail about .1 after you exit the Park. But if the weather is anything like it was a few years ago, you WON'T want to make this walk late at night; when we were last there it was around 3 below zero and we all almost died. I'd try and stay in the hostel or close to it if I were you.

A-Train
01-27-2005, 20:32
Not sure if Trix is headed to the Ruck, though I assume he probably is. I've got a hunch he might tell a story from the 03' Ruck. He was driving Red back to the Hostel at like 3am and in the middle of the road emerged a freezing cold hiker-wannabe who had come to get info on his upcoming hike. The hiker was walking in the middle of the road with his sleeping bag draped around him, having abandoned his tent for a possible warm bed in the hostel. Anyway, Trix didn't have any room in his car so the cold hiker had to grab onto the back of his hatchback and hold on for dear life with the cold wind numbing his fingers. Anyway, the hiker got to the hostel, but was stupid enough to go out the next night and again sleep in his tent, this time making it through the night.

It was in the single digits that weekend and I can tell you from first hand that it can get pretty cold! Especially after a couple adult bevraged you might not wanna be looking for a stealth site in the woods, even if you've already pitched your tent. I concur with Jack-stay at the group site for a couple of bucks, or if your feeling soft and have the extra money-go for the warm bed. Enjoy!

Lone Wolf
01-30-2005, 15:13
Yes A-Train, Tricks told the story. :D Friday night at the campfire around midnite the temp was at 0 deg. I stayed in the hostel. First time in years I stayed in one. Worth every ******* penny too! There was no snoring either. Thanks to Gary for the buttload of wood he hauled to the campground. Nice fire all weekend. Marcia and others did a helluva job in the kitchen prepping and serving meals. Great bunch of folks in attendance. Good to put faces with names. Looking forward to more Rucks.

Tenacious Tanasi
02-01-2005, 03:26
It was really great to see you again, Lone Wolf. That story about that poor frozen hiker was pretty funny when Trix told it. So was the leaf blower one! LOL :jump

My hat goes off to the brave souls (er...should that be crazy? :rolleyes: ) who stayed out in the cold...don't know if I coulda done it. Brrrrrr

A-Train
02-01-2005, 10:04
It was really great to see you again, Lone Wolf. That story about that poor frozen hiker was pretty funny when Trix told it. blower one!

haha I AM the poor (stupid) frozen hiker!

Tenacious Tanasi
02-01-2005, 21:18
Bless your heart! As cold as it was out there this past weekend, I can't imagine even trying it! But, I heard you made it OK the second night. Did they really have to pry your frozen fingers off of the back of the car with a crow bar? ;)

Boo Boo
02-02-2005, 16:09
I broke down and paid for the first night, but crashed on a couch. The second night I scorched my pants in the fire. Someone was fanning the ass, and I didn't know it.I guess moonshine, te-kill-me, and fire just mix.

I remember heading into the woods around 4am with my pack, but woke up the next day in the hostel. I'm still trying to piece together what happen.

Thanks Shelly for the ride to Damascus. I managed to make it up the mountain with no problems.

Tenacious Tanasi
02-02-2005, 20:46
I had the same experience the nite before...I seem to recall stepping on someone... was it Dingle (Casey) while trying to climb up onto the top bunk. Still tryin' to piece that one together myself. Glad to hear you made up to the cabin with no probs, Boo Boo! You're welcome for the ride. I really enjoyed hearing stories of the trail this past year from you and Coyote. You gotta send me that pic of Pegasus biting the head of that flamingo and the one of the writing in the snow! Too funny!