PDA

View Full Version : Who has the best Pizza?

Sonno
01-14-2011, 11:21
Ok all you pizza addicts (like me :D), where can the best pizza along the trail be found?

Bearpaw
01-14-2011, 11:23
Smoky Mountain Brewery in Gatlinburg. Pricey, but worth it.

the goat
01-14-2011, 11:25
Ok all you pizza addicts (like me :D), where can the best pizza along the trail be found?

the red onion in rangeley. you can order your pie with a multitude of toppings including double dough, enough said.

scope
01-14-2011, 11:32
C'mon man... its got to be along the trail somewhere in NY!!

Sonno
01-14-2011, 11:37

Heh, ok, maybe I should stipulate... Within a decent hike from the trail, not a train ride! :D

Tennessee Viking
01-14-2011, 12:00
Pizza Plus in Damascus, Hampton, and Erwin has some of the best cheap pizza. Damascus has the bigger of the buffets.

Need to try Quincy's in Damascus.

4eyedbuzzard
01-14-2011, 12:16
Hitch into West Lebanon, NH from Hanover, NH / Norwich, VT or take the free shuttle bus (Advance Transit (http://www.advancetransit.com/)) Go to Lui-Lui's at the Powerhouse Mall. Wood fire oven pizza. I'm originally from Jersey, so youse can trust me on pizza. Pricey but damn good. Better than EBA and others in Hanover, which are good, but just not as good. There's an EMS and LL Bean right there too. West Leb is strip mall city. WM, KM, etc, pretty much anything you'd need.

Tilly
01-14-2011, 12:35
Best pizza--hands down--is the pizza joint on Main Street in Palmerton, Penn. Can't quite remember the name, it's something simple like _____'s Pizza. But if you like NY/NJ style pizza this is the place. Plus their menu is HUGE the pizza is delicious. And if you're veggie there are alot of options.

This place to me has real deal pizza. But then again I'm from Jersey so I have certain expectations about pizza.

Pizza Plus has cheap pizza. Very cheap. And that's what you get.

-SEEKER-
01-14-2011, 12:36
So far for me it was at NOC at the Rivers End Restaurant.

Tennessee Viking
01-14-2011, 13:16
Pizza Plus has cheap pizza. Very cheap. And that's what you get.Definitely not the best...but I grew up on the stuff.

Sickmont
01-14-2011, 13:22
The best pizza can only be found around or in NYC and Chicago......with a nice exception in Pittsburgh

Bags4266
01-14-2011, 13:38
Well being from FLA anywhere north you will find good pie. From PA to MA.
The problem "from what I'm told" is the water. Any shops can buy the same ingredients but they can't duplicate the water used for the dough, which makes the good crusts.

Sonno
01-14-2011, 13:39
The best pizza can only be found around or in NYC and Chicago......with a nice exception in Pittsburgh

Meh, I'm not buying that. I can make home made pizza that'll rival anything anywhere! ;)

full conditions
01-14-2011, 14:05
There's a place about a mile upstream of NOC called Pizza by the River that's definitely a cut above River's End - worth the walk.

10-K
01-14-2011, 14:22
Christos in Manchester Center, VT.

Which also has the best breakfast @ Up for Breakfast. :)

(I guess I should move to this place...)

Sonno
01-14-2011, 14:47
There's a place about a mile upstream of NOC called Pizza by the River that's definitely a cut above River's End - worth the walk.

Pizza By the River is pretty cool. Just pull your raft up on the dock there and order one! Was cool to see the ads for the place in the trees along the river. Neat concept.

Ender
01-14-2011, 14:54
In NY, I think at NY52, it's a .25 mile walk to a deli and pizza joint. The pizza at that pizza joint? Shockingly good. Like, way better than it has any right to be. I've lived in NYC for almost 2 decades on and off, spent plenty of time in Chicago, and this pizza would battle it out with the best of them. Seriously, I've not had it's match in any other trailside pizza place. So so so worth going to.

Thin Mint
01-14-2011, 14:59
my favorite was in Monson at the Lake Shore House. It was a daily special for like $4-$5 for a personal pizza. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Cookerhiker
01-14-2011, 15:00
Best I can recall in the Trail corridor was in Hanover but I don't remember the name of the place.

ATsawyer
01-15-2011, 10:21
The best pizza is a good pie nearest to where you are. In Shenandoah, that would be Rudy's in Sperryville VA. But they're only open Thurs.-Sun.

And at the expense of launching another thread, you will pass Central Coffee Roasters in Rt 211 on your way down the mountain to Sperryville. A great cuppa joe and free to trail maintainers, but again, only open Fri-Sun.

4eyedbuzzard
01-15-2011, 10:27
I forgot, Ramuntos in Hanover is also very good.

the goat
01-15-2011, 12:14
The best pizza is a good pie nearest to where you are. In Shenandoah, that would be Rudy's in Sperryville VA. But they're only open Thurs.-Sun.

And at the expense of launching another thread, you will pass Central Coffee Roasters in Rt 211 on your way down the mountain to Sperryville. A great cuppa joe and free to trail maintainers, but again, only open Fri-Sun.

good call on both counts!

Diatribe
01-15-2011, 15:48
good call on both counts!

Sperryville is such a nice, quaint little town. I always enjoy driving thorugh Sperryville when I am headed into SNP via Thorton Gap. Never thought to stop for food though. Ill be sure to check out the pizza joint.

There is a maple tree at the main crossroads in town that turns an electric orange come fall. I took a picture of it ablaze one fall, and found a picture of the same tree in a great book I bought for my mom for xmas entitled "Champion Trees of Virginia".

Cabin Fever
01-15-2011, 16:01
Pizza Plus in Damascus, Hampton, and Erwin has some of the best cheap pizza. Damascus has the bigger of the buffets.

Need to try Quincy's in Damascus.

Pizza Plus is disgusting.

Jim Adams
01-15-2011, 16:02
Gorham, NH
2 different places, don't remember their names but both were better than any other on the trail.

geek

Tinker
01-15-2011, 17:53
the red onion in rangeley. you can order your pie with a multitude of toppings including double dough, enough said.

I don't know if this is the place I went to in Rangeley (about 7 years ago), but if it is, they had a Reuben pizza which might have been the best single thing I had ever eaten to that point (or it might have been the 5 days on the Trail :D).

10-K
01-15-2011, 18:26
In NY, I think at NY52, it's a .25 mile walk to a deli and pizza joint. The pizza at that pizza joint? Shockingly good. Like, way better than it has any right to be. I've lived in NYC for almost 2 decades on and off, spent plenty of time in Chicago, and this pizza would battle it out with the best of them. Seriously, I've not had it's match in any other trailside pizza place. So so so worth going to.

I got a calzone at this place that was as big as a hubcap on a 65 Dodge Dart.

Blissful
01-15-2011, 21:14

I ordered pizza at Mohican Trail Center in NJ in '07 from some place in NY and it was awesome.

Blissful
01-15-2011, 21:16
I also liked the pizza at NOC this past fall. Homemade through and through. I didn't have pizza much this past year though

Blissful
01-15-2011, 21:17

Just saw this. Yes it was excellent this past fall.

mweinstone
01-15-2011, 21:23
other than the phone ordered crappy pizza from partnership shelter, there is but one pizza to be had on the trail. and it is the best. a simple flour tortilla with cheese and peperoni . searved when famished.it is the pizza of the mind as radio is the theater of the mind.

Cabin Fever
01-15-2011, 21:37
other than the phone ordered crappy pizza from partnership shelter, there is but one pizza to be had on the trail. and it is the best. a simple flour tortilla with cheese and peperoni . searved when famished.it is the pizza of the mind as radio is the theater of the mind.

I have to agree and I have ordered pizza from Partnership. Pepperoni and cheese on a tortilla after a hard day on the Trail is magical.

Jim Adams
01-15-2011, 21:44
In 1990 I ordered 2 hoagies and a large pizza to be delivered to Antler's Campsite in the Wilderness. You had to pay for it ahead of time in Monson and you had to be there when you say you will because if not they just leave it at the campsite and leave. I have no idea whether it was actually good pizza or not but I can tell you that it was INCREDIBLE!!!!!

geek

Cookerhiker
01-15-2011, 22:04
Best I can recall in the Trail corridor was in Hanover but I don't remember the name of the place.

I forgot, Ramuntos in Hanover is also very good.

That must be the one I had in mind.

Bearpaw
01-16-2011, 23:57

Tried their pizza this weekend at SoRuck and it was great! Looking forward to it when I hike the Bartram Trail this spring.

Roland
01-17-2011, 07:35
There must be a lot of folks struggling with their New Year's Resolutions. In the last few weeks, I've seen more posts about food than usual.

Food: Hikers' Universal Topic

wvgrinder
01-17-2011, 20:46

The Manchester Pizza House aint too shabby either. ;)

RockDoc
01-22-2011, 14:24
The one on the river restaurant at the NOC was very good.

In Monson, the gas station at the east end of town has outstanding pizza (much to our surprise). We took their pizza back to Shaws in 07 and 09 and both times it was great. We carried cold leftovers into the HMW were it was enjoyed even more.

Roots
01-22-2011, 14:28
River's End at NOC and Quincy's in Damascus...yum!

Front Royal Mike
01-24-2011, 20:48
If you come off the trail at the northern end of Shenandoah National Park in Front Royal you must try The Melting Pot .The "Pot" is a Front Royal institution,been eating their pizza since I was a kid. Yummy ,good price and cold beer ,whats not to like ?

fredmugs
01-25-2011, 08:36

I'll be hiking that stretch in July. You can order any pizza with a multitude of toppings so what makes it the best? Why would you want double dough? I hate thin crust pizza but double dough doesn't sound appealing either.

sherrill
01-25-2011, 08:57
double dough doesn't sound appealing either.

Instead of cheese it's stuffed with money. Appeals to me. :D

Amanita
02-03-2011, 15:13
I can't speak to the trail in it's entirety, but I will second that Ramuto's in the Hanover/West Leb area has damn good pizza.

Jack Tarlin
02-03-2011, 15:27
More and more hikers every year speak well of the slices at Ramunto's, here in Hanover.

I'm sure that the fact that the first slice for thru-hikers is free has absolutely nothing to do with it. :D

Thenixon
02-08-2011, 11:17

In Hanover, Ramunto's has brick-oven sicilian pies with all sorts of fancy toppings available, if that's your thing. They're probably the one you're thinking of. I preferred C&A's myself - better cheese and sauce (and no burnt crap on the bottom of the crust). EBA's pizzas are mostly awful. If you must go there, get the thai chicken pizza, it's pretty good.

Sassafras Lass
02-08-2011, 13:58
Best as in real Neopolitan style with bufala mozzarella?

Or best as in American best?

My brother lives in DC - he's meeting as at Harper's Ferry, I'm gonna make him take us to 3 Amy's in DC, supposed to be terrific Napolitana pizza - can't wait!

the goat
02-08-2011, 17:14
Best as in real Neopolitan style with bufala mozzarella?

Or best as in American best?

My brother lives in DC - he's meeting as at Harper's Ferry, I'm gonna make him take us to 3 Amy's in DC, supposed to be terrific Napolitana pizza - can't wait!

you won't be disappointed!

mweinstone
02-08-2011, 19:18
in my humble opinion, philadelphia and new york have pizza, good and bad. the other states seam to have some sort of cheesy bread.

Thenixon
02-08-2011, 22:38
If you stop in Williamstown MA, Hot Tomatoes pizza well worth it. Best I've ever had, but pricey. Like everything else there.

Hikerhead
02-08-2011, 22:44
The Corned Beef. Downtown Roanoke Va.

bus
02-09-2011, 11:46
Don't remember the name, but, the pizza place in the barn, off of 19E in TN. Just down the road from Mountain Harbour.

$10 unlimited toppings....fire cooked...yummy...

Sickmont
02-09-2011, 11:58
in my humble opinion, philadelphia and new york have pizza, good and bad. the other states seam to have some sort of cheesy bread.

EXACTLY. Thank you, sir for iterating my point much better than i ever could have.

Buffalo Skipper
02-09-2011, 12:00
When I was a teenager, I used to love pizza. With all the Papa Johns and Dominos, Little Caesars and such, I really have become quite indifferent about pizza.

Maybe when I get on the trail and find some new little pizzeria making a quality product, I might change my mind, but I tend to doubt it.

I think of pizza the same way I think of baseball. Were it to magically vanish from the face of the planet overnight, I doubt I would even notice.

Ender
02-09-2011, 12:01

Ha! That make me laugh. Good stuff. :sun

d.o.c
02-22-2011, 12:08
I realy dig on belas pizza in dalville Va near the truck stop they have a buffet during the week but their pizza is best around here i think... i had some good pizza somewhere in vermont as well i realy cnt think of the name right now.

Different Socks
03-24-2011, 22:58

Just was getting to planning this stretch. Thanks for the heads up!

Different Socks
03-24-2011, 23:00
Just was getting to planning this stretch. Thanks for the heads up!

BTW, it's called Danny's Pizza.

Megapixel
01-24-2012, 03:14
Best pizza--hands down--is the pizza joint on Main Street in Palmerton, Penn. Can't quite remember the name, it's something simple like _____'s Pizza. But if you like NY/NJ style pizza this is the place. Plus their menu is HUGE the pizza is delicious. And if you're veggie there are alot of options.

This place to me has real deal pizza. But then again I'm from Jersey so I have certain expectations about pizza.

would this place be TONY's or Palmerton pizza?

SCRUB HIKER
01-24-2012, 03:48
Once you get to a certain point (i.e. like two days in) it all tastes fantastic. Using my real-world taste buds, I'd say Ramunto's in Hanover was the best I had on the Trail. But the most satisfied I ever was after eating pizza on the AT was at the Partnership Shelter near Marion, VA. Can't beat direct-to-shelter delivery, especially when you've been slogging out 20 in the cold and rain, as I had. So it's a case by case thing.

cvillewill
01-24-2012, 03:51
Ciro's in Waynesboro, Va (across from Quality Inn, in the shopping center on Broad St) is about as close to NY style you can get outside of the city. Simple, greasy, perfect sauce to cheese ratio, crunchy chewy crust, floppy slice goodness. I plan to skip the AYCE's and get a large pie, or two.

Blue Mountain Brewery in Afton Va (Rt250 east from Rockfish Gap AT crossing, then Rt151 south at the bottom of the mountain) has excellent gourmet pizzas, like sausage and apple - all with local ingredients. And the beer, WOW...if you haven't had it, you are missing out. Place is expanding fast, beers are getting national recognition.

SCRUB HIKER
01-24-2012, 03:54
Should specify that it was Pizza Plus that delivered to the Partnership Shelter. Also, I remember the Red Onion in Rangeley being very good, close to Ramunto's level. And for pure scale, can't beat the place that delivers to the Birdcage in Dalton, Mass (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=568919942902&set=a.568919124542.2055804.19103077&type=3&theater). (I forget the name).

MrCharlie2
02-13-2012, 22:39
You can get a good pizza in Delaware Water Gap, PA: going North on AT, go left on main drag in town, about 2 blocks to traffic light (downhill BTW), pizza across the street (and beer available as I remember).

Now, a philosophical question: wouldn't the correct question be "Who has the MOST pizza?" Picture in link above looks like a candidate.

Personally, I have never had a decent pizza south of Mason-Dixon line (and I have tried many samples), PA is pretty spotty, and nothing good north of Massachusetts.

atmilkman
02-13-2012, 23:13
One time I thought the microwave pizza I got at Neel's was pretty good but then again I can eat the back end of a wooden hobby horse and the southern end of a duck flying north.

Lone Wolf
02-13-2012, 23:24
One time I thought the microwave pizza I got at Neel's was pretty good but then again I can eat the back end of a wooden hobby horse and the southern end of a duck flying north.
and i can eat the azz off a skunk in heat

Sonno
03-01-2012, 17:12
Wow. Just wow. :D

vamelungeon
03-01-2012, 17:40
The goodness or badness of a pizza seems to be largely dependent on how hungry you are when you eat it IMHO. BUT the mom & pop pizza places are almost always going to have better pizza. The best one I ever had was in Monterey, California, far from NY, Chicago or the AT.

Just a Hiker
03-01-2012, 17:55
When you're hiking, all pizza is good pizza. I grew up in Cincinnati, Ohio eating Larosa's World Famous pizza; however, there came the day when i thought the microwave pizza at the hostel in Glencliff, NH was the best ******ing pizza on the planet.

Ron Haven
03-01-2012, 20:40
When you are in Franklin, NC it is Vito's

Trubrit
03-02-2012, 01:12
Pizza Plus in Bastian VA (Bland County) Lunch buffet every day 11am -2pm various pizzas and salad bar, $7.50.
Of course if you contact Fort Bastian when you are at the Trail Head on Rte 615 or Rte 52 you will be picked up shuttled to and from there and its FREE! Courtesy of Fort Bastian.
Trubrit. 708 207 6725.

coach lou
03-02-2012, 09:36
You can get a good pizza in Delaware Water Gap, PA: going North on AT, go left on main drag in town, about 2 blocks to traffic light (downhill BTW), pizza across the street (and beer available as I remember).

Now, a philosophical question: wouldn't the correct question be "Who has the MOST pizza?" Picture in link above looks like a candidate.

Personally, I have never had a decent pizza south of Mason-Dixon line (and I have tried many samples), PA is pretty spotty, and nothing good north of Massachusetts.

DWG was my guess for a decent look for a pie, and my cousin owns a place in Quechee, Vt.[long walk from AT/LT], but being from New Haven county, Connecticut, I don't look for pizza anywhere else! When I travel I like to eat native.

Two Speed
03-02-2012, 09:54

Pizza By the River is pretty cool. Just pull your raft up on the dock there and order one! Was cool to see the ads for the place in the trees along the river. Neat concept.May want to reconsider that. My understanding is PBR has had issues with health violations.

Just sayin'.

Gray Blazer
03-02-2012, 10:20

That's what I'm sayin'.

Florida Trail. If you are driving on I-75 through Gainesville, FL, get off at 39th Av. At the Publix Plaza is Pomodoro's Italian Reastuarant. They have the best NY style pizza in these parts. The chef's and owners are Italian. Imagine that. And Scope could get a pic of the waitresses and post them in his avatar.

Gray Blazer
03-02-2012, 10:21

Now that's pithy, brother.

Lone Wolf
03-02-2012, 10:24
Quinceys right on the AT

http://quinceyspizza.com/index.html

Gray Blazer
03-02-2012, 10:44
No skunk azz pizza on the menu.

sjd0397
03-02-2012, 13:26
I haven't thru hiked but if you get off the trail at the de water gap and go to Goombas in stroudsburg on main street they have the best white pizza!

hikerboy57
03-02-2012, 14:31
after 4 or 5 days on the trail, all pizza is the best.

Papa D
03-03-2012, 01:17

Man, you really are a Manchester Center fan - it's like Erwin of the North - I grocery shopped there, walked around in EMS, got a 1/2 pint of liquor across the road and hitched back to the trail - seems like I missed a lot!

Migrating Bird
03-03-2012, 08:29
Here are a couple in MA, in Gt. Barrington, Manhattan Pizza, on Rt. 7 as you enter town from the south (also Big Y see next). Lee, MA there is a new Big Y grocery store at the intersection I90, Rt.102 and Rt. 20 as you enter town, (where the truck stop used to be). Big Y has very good pizza and very reasonably priced and then there is Arizona Pizza in the center of town for wood fired pizza, more expensive, but full service bar. The best by far is the ones my wife makes, caramelized onions, hot sausage, sweet green peppers, whole black olives, green olives, a few hot peppers, pepperoni - fresh mozzarella cheese. The dough she makes has a sweet taste.

Marmaduke
09-03-2013, 12:09
In Rutland, VT, Ramunto's pizza right downtown is some of the best pizza I've ever had. Sicilian and New York style, they've got what you need....... mmmmmmmmmmm......

coach lou
09-03-2013, 12:26
My cousin has just informed me that he is opening a new apizzaria in West Hartford, Vermont. I will post location when he opens!!!

Seatbelt
09-03-2013, 12:41

Not the best pic in the world--but this is the best pizza I've found so far--Roan Mtn, TN.

Marmaduke
09-03-2013, 15:55
glad to see that we've revived a pizza thread. All forums need more prominent pizza threads. It's one thing that creates a bond among all humans, similar to what some trail miles can do to folks who don't even know each other.

Drybones
09-03-2013, 16:05

Not the best pic in the world--but this is the best pizza I've found so far--Roan Mtn, TN.

Now that looks like my kind of place...best food I've had has always been at hole-in-the wall places. I've never eaten at a fancy/expensive place that was worth remembering

Drybones
09-03-2013, 16:10

What's that got to do with hikin?

Drybones
09-03-2013, 16:12
Wow. Just wow. :D

+1...........it did get a laughs outta me.

Drybones
09-03-2013, 16:14

Does anyone have a tic-tac?

Drybones
09-03-2013, 16:25
The Corned Beef. Downtown Roanoke Va.

Is Ridgerunner pizza still in Roanoke?.... it's been 30 years since I lived there, but it was good pizza back then.

AngryGerman
09-17-2013, 01:53
Believe it or not, Linda at White House Landing made me a couple killer pizzas and the Lakeshore House in Monson had some killer pizza. There was a spot in NY/NJ where we ordered pizza from the shelter, but I can't remember the name of the shelter we were at. They delivered to the trailhead and wouldn't even take a tip; they had great pizza and garlic knots.

Phikes
10-15-2013, 17:45
Unionville NY, can't remember the name but damn good.

PD230SOI
10-15-2013, 17:51
Meh, I'm not buying that. I can make home made pizza that'll rival anything anywhere! ;)

Me too, my pizza rocks. I think it's the temp and you need a stone that has been preheated for one hour at 500. Once my boys get older we will try and bring some to trail heads in Maine.

cliffordbarnabus
10-15-2013, 21:21
the only thing that matters is if it's ayce. if its ayce, then, accordingly, it is therefore the best.

Wise Old Owl
10-15-2013, 21:25
I can't do pizza - most pizza shops are more infested than any other type of restaurant. I hike with a few people that do cheesecake and that makes me happy.. and an occasional shelter mouse.

Wise Old Owl
10-15-2013, 21:27
Unionville NY, can't remember the name but damn good.

Annabel's Pizza 6 Main St, Unionville, NY ‎ (845) 726-9992 ‎ · annabelpizzaandrestaurant.com (http://maps.google.com/local_url?dq=pizza&q=http://annabelpizzaandrestaurant.com/&ved=0CFsQ5AQ&sa=X&ei=WetdUqGQMea5xAG7wICACw&s=ANYYN7luXiS7GaDbUcj26u_1JDBgW-YZvQ)
4.15 reviews (http://maps.google.com/local_url?dq=pizza&q=https://plus.google.com/107534675253303683580/about%3Fgl%3DUS%26hl%3Den-US&ved=0CFoQlQU&sa=X&ei=WetdUqGQMea5xAG7wICACw&s=ANYYN7mtOuVOF9AD0FI6DLuJ4LXSe_MA7g) ·

ChinMusic
10-15-2013, 21:34
After reading through this thread I am proud to say I ate at most of em.

My fave.............Red Onion, Rangeley ME