PDA

View Full Version : Camping on Whitecap?

earlyriser26
01-14-2011, 12:23
Any good spots to camp on top of Whitecap in the Maine wilderness?:-?

fehchet
01-14-2011, 13:19
Logan Brook Lean-to has some tenting spots. The top is pretty bare and exposed. Some down the mountain going north from the lean-to. I pulled into Logan Brook and there were 70 people there! We did a count. I hunted around and was able to pitch my tent. After dinner and comradeship, we were nailed by a wicked lightening storm. Seemed like it danced over us for a couple of hours with torrents of rain. It had been in the 80's during the day.

earlyriser26
01-15-2011, 09:59
I know it is exposed, but are there any good tenting spots on top if the weather is good?

fehchet
01-15-2011, 10:02
A free standing tent would work best, I suppose. Be great with a clear sky and all the stars.

earlyriser26
01-15-2011, 10:57
A free standing tent would work best, I suppose. Be great with a clear sky and all the stars.
I guess I am not making myself clear. Are there flat places to put tents? With or without rocks?

fehchet
01-15-2011, 11:30
Yes there are flat places.

Slo-go'en
01-15-2011, 11:41
If you insist on camping on top of a mountian in Maine or NH, be sure to do it on rock which is already exposed. The soil at and/or near the top of all these mountains is shallow and any vegetation growing on it is very fragile and likely endangered.

Pitching a tent is not often practial up there, as it take up too much room. However, you might find a reasonably flat and level rock big enough to cowboy camp on if the weather is good. But you can't always count on it staying that way all night! And if you have to step off of rock onto vegetation to get to that spot - don't do it!

Better yet, camp where your suppost to and not on the top of mountains on thier fragile ecosystem!!

earlyriser26
01-15-2011, 11:57
If you insist on camping on top of a mountian in Maine or NH, be sure to do it on rock which is already exposed. The soil at and/or near the top of all these mountains is shallow and any vegetation growing on it is very fragile and likely endangered.

Pitching a tent is not often practial up there, as it take up too much room. However, you might find a reasonably flat and level rock big enough to cowboy camp on if the weather is good. But you can't always count on it staying that way all night! And if you have to step off of rock onto vegetation to get to that spot - don't do it!

Better yet, camp where your suppost to and not on the top of mountains on thier fragile ecosystem!!
Like shelters:rolleyes:

fehchet
01-15-2011, 12:15
Excellent point Slo-go'en.

Blissful
01-15-2011, 12:50
I don't recall anything good for camping on top of the mtn personally when I was there this past summer. But it was foggy and rainy. I'd camp at the base of it in the shelter area and hike up the following day. Yeah the area gets heavy use at times, but that's the way it is in the 100 mile wilderness in summer.

earlyriser26
01-15-2011, 14:05
Thanks for the info, sounds like it is better for a break than stopping

Jim Adams
01-15-2011, 15:26
If you are camping there in september beware of bears there for the blueberries on the summit.
I ate alot of blueberries there on both of my thrus BUT I also saw 2 bears in 90 and 1 in 02 also eating the berries with me.

geek

Tinker
01-15-2011, 16:22
Two words make me shy away from summit camping (and they don't have anything to do with "rules"). They are:
1) Lightning, and
2) Rod
Of course witer camping above treeline is different (and, in most places, legal).
Either way, be careful up there. :)

Jim Adams
01-15-2011, 16:24
BTW, Tinker...slowly learning on that guitar. Thanks again.

geek

Tinker
01-15-2011, 16:42
BTW, Tinker...slowly learning on that guitar. Thanks again.

geek

Very cool. My pleasure.

Will you be at the Winter Warmer this year? I would like to bring my guitar.

I finally got around to writing my first "Hiker Song" (and, for once, I didn't crumple it up and throw it away :)).