PDA

View Full Version : I had a whole National Park to myself for hiking. Never had that happen before!

Wobegon
01-14-2011, 12:23
My girlfriend dropped me off at Badlands National Park in western South Dakota to do some day hiking while she ran some errands. When I paid my fee at the visitor center the park was completely empty.

There was quite a bit of snow for the area so I post-holed a bit, but after meeting with some other rangers they told me I not only was the only hiker out today, I was the first of the new year!

I got around 11 miles in and didn't see a soul except for rangers. Lots of deer, a porcupine, rabbits and my girlfriend saw big horn sheep on the way out.

Anyway, it was pretty cool having an entire National Park all to myself so I thought I would share. Anybody else had this happen? Also, I'd like to recommend the Badlands for hiking. It was my first time going there and it had a really supernatural feel.

sbhikes
01-14-2011, 13:23
I would love to see the badlands someday. I've never had a national park to myself but I have been out in the wilderness and not seen another person for days and only seen bear and mountain lion tracks on the trails.

Egads
01-14-2011, 13:25
I saw a total of 4 people on the trails during my last two hikes at GSMNP. Not many go in the winter

Sickmont
01-14-2011, 13:29
Wow, thats so cool. i like to go to a few preserves here that aren't well known just to get away from t people for a while. I did a 10 mile hike last weekend in a preserve here in central Florida and the whole time it was just me and the vultures.

Blissful
01-14-2011, 13:37
Badlands is neat

Old Hiker
01-14-2011, 14:51
Kayaked out to Anclote Key here in the Tampa area one time. That next morning, stood on the beach and looked left: no one for miles. Looked right: no one for miles. Saw no one the next three days, other than boats out in the Gulf. Spoiled me for beaches ever since.

skinewmexico
01-14-2011, 14:54
Go to the Dog Canyon campground at Guadelupe Mountains NP sometime. It's like that year round.

Cookerhiker
01-14-2011, 14:56
It's hard to think I could have been the only person one day in a national park like Shenandoah. But it may have happened.

For 5 years, I maintained a section of the AT in SNP and a few times visited the stretch in winter. One time after an ice storm had followed a snow storm, the entire Skyline Drive was closed (it was a weekday) so I parked outside the entrance station and walked to my section carrying my bow saw. Skyline Drive was a sheet of ice as was portions of the Trail. After visiting my section and sawing what I could of the ice-induced blowdowns, I thought as I made my way back how foolish I was for being there alone having not told anyone where I was; could have easily fallen on the ice and broken a bone or 2. Anyway, I never saw any one nor any evidence of vehicles' tracks on the Drive - not even Park Service vehicles.

Hikerhead
01-14-2011, 15:03
It's hard to think I could have been the only person one day in a national park like Shenandoah. But it may have happened.

For 5 years, I maintained a section of the AT in SNP and a few times visited the stretch in winter. One time after an ice storm had followed a snow storm, the entire Skyline Drive was closed (it was a weekday) so I parked outside the entrance station and walked to my section carrying my bow saw. Skyline Drive was a sheet of ice as was portions of the Trail. After visiting my section and sawing what I could of the ice-induced blowdowns, I thought as I made my way back how foolish I was for being there alone having not told anyone where I was; could have easily fallen on the ice and broken a bone or 2. Anyway, I never saw any one nor any evidence of vehicles' tracks on the Drive - not even Park Service vehicles.

I'm sure there was another idiot out there somewhere :) If it was a blue sky day, me and Stumpknocker were at the Rt 211 waiting for them to open up, we finally left, they opened up the road to Big Meadows the next day.

Cookerhiker
01-14-2011, 15:09
It was bright blue-sky day and I got some pretty good photos of the ice glistening as it weighed down the branches, making the whole trip worthwhile.

Hikerhead
01-14-2011, 15:12
It was bright blue-sky day and I got some pretty good photos of the ice glistening as it weighed down the branches, making the whole trip worthwhile.

Must have been the same day. We were a bit PO'd that it was so nice out and they wouldn't let us in. You couldn't see any damage from where we sitting.

Luddite
01-14-2011, 15:13
I spent a few days at Arches National Park around Christmas one year and had Delicate arch all to myself.

Go to the Dog Canyon campground at Guadelupe Mountains NP sometime. It's like that year round.

I've been wanting to go there for some time, for that reason. It looks amazing out there.

Carbo
01-14-2011, 15:15
On a lucky stretch of warm weather in Februrary, we hiked down the Grand Canyon. Stayed at Phantom Ranch (no reservations), only other people there were the cook and caretaker. Also stopped at the Great Sand Dunes National Park, there was no one there either, in fact I don't remember even seeing park rangers at the entrance.

On an average winter day here in NJ, Sandy Hook State park is empty. About 6-7 miles of beach with views of the NYC skyline. You can do a great out-and-back 12+ mile hike on the beach and not see anyone!

Luddite
01-14-2011, 15:24
On a lucky stretch of warm weather in Februrary, we hiked down the Grand Canyon. Stayed at Phantom Ranch (no reservations), only other people there were the cook and caretaker. Also stopped at the Great Sand Dunes National Park, there was no one there either, in fact I don't remember even seeing park rangers at the entrance.

You got lucky. I went there in February thinking I'd have the whole place to myself, but it was actually crowded.

DuctTape
01-14-2011, 15:35
Hmmm, don't think that's every happened to me, but just wanted to agree that Badlands is underrated and awesome. One place that jumps to mind where something similar could happen is Petrified Forest NP, with its Painted Desert Wilderness. I've never done a true hike in it, and get the impression that there's never very many, if any people out there.

DuctTape
01-14-2011, 15:38
On a lucky stretch of warm weather in Februrary, we hiked down the Grand Canyon. Stayed at Phantom Ranch (no reservations), only other people there were the cook and caretaker.

The Canyon is great in the winter and quiet, even on the main trails to Phantom. I like the effect from the bottom of looking up at the snow on the rim, like snow-capped mountains from a desert valley.

Sickmont
01-14-2011, 15:38
On an average winter day here in NJ, Sandy Hook State park is empty. About 6-7 miles of beach with views of the NYC skyline. You can do a great out-and-back 12+ mile hike on the beach and not see anyone!

Hey, i know the wife of the current commander of U.S. Coast Guard Station Sandy Hook.......

Trailryder42
01-14-2011, 16:13
I rode my motorcycle thru there last July. I bet it looks awesome covered in snow. Any pics?

GoldenBear
01-14-2011, 16:26
did your adventure occur in late October of 2005? On the evening of 24th, I entered SNP with the intent of camping the first night and backpacking the next few days. When I woke up the next morning, several centimeters of ice were over all the roads, with several more centimeters of snow on top of them. I drove (VERY SLOWLY) to Big Meadows and, upon finding a Ranger, found that Skyline Drive was closed! I bet HE was surprised to see me!

Spent the next few days at Big Meadows Lodge, twiddling my thumbs, re-assuring my wife that I was okay, talking with fellow strandees, and watching the World Series. I actually did a little bit of hiking around Big Meadows, and ran into another person doing the same.

I was VERY far from being the only person at the Park (I wasn't even the only person watching the Series!), but I know what it's like when Skyline is shut down.

bus
01-14-2011, 16:35
late october 2005? that would have been a combination punch of Hurricane Wilma moving off Florida and up the coast and a strong early cold front moving south. It was cold in Florida during that time.

Carbo
01-14-2011, 16:44
Hey, i know the wife of the current commander of U.S. Coast Guard Station Sandy Hook.......

Well ask her to bring out some hot chocolate if she sees some old raggedy hiker resting by the cannon at the fort! I'm about 200 yards from the coast guard station at that point.

Cookerhiker
01-14-2011, 17:00
did your adventure occur in late October of 2005? On the evening of 24th, I entered SNP with the intent of camping the first night and backpacking the next few days. When I woke up the next morning, several centimeters of ice were over all the roads, with several more centimeters of snow on top of them. I drove (VERY SLOWLY) to Big Meadows and, upon finding a Ranger, found that Skyline Drive was closed! I bet HE was surprised to see me!

Spent the next few days at Big Meadows Lodge, twiddling my thumbs, re-assuring my wife that I was okay, talking with fellow strandees, and watching the World Series. I actually did a little bit of hiking around Big Meadows, and ran into another person doing the same.

I was VERY far from being the only person at the Park (I wasn't even the only person watching the Series!), but I know what it's like when Skyline is shut down.

It was February 2007. I put some photos of the ice on my WB gallery. Click here (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?do=member&catid=member&imageuser=5065&page=17) and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Also in February 2006 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=125152), Northern Harrier and I hiked for 2 nights in the Park. Again Skyline Drive was closed when we parked outside the Swift Run Gap entrance and hiked first north to Bear Fence Hut for the 1st night and then backtracked, went past Swift Run on up over HighTop Mt. (my section) and spent the 2nd night at HighTop Hut. Saw no hikers or anyone else. We did hear a park maintenance vehicle on the Central District portion of Skyline Drive. The forest was beautiful in the snow as was the view west from the HighTop rocky viewpoint.

Adayak
01-14-2011, 17:18
You should marry this girl.

Wobegon
01-14-2011, 19:46
You should marry this girl.

Planning on it!

Wobegon
01-14-2011, 21:54
Upon request, here are some pictures from yesterday in Badlands National Park:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1393.snc4/164585_10100418419431040_13962816_67716029_4919384 _n.jpg
Me at the trailhead

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs069.snc6/167970_10100418419969960_13962816_67716045_6045292 _n.jpg
First to climb the infamous "Notch" 100 ft. log ladder in 2011!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1386.snc4/163851_10100418420164570_13962816_67716050_1260718 _n.jpg
View from the top of the Notch ladder.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs018.snc6/166853_10100418420623650_13962816_67716060_7114139 _n.jpg
I found the contrast between the red on the sign and the sky really drastic and pretty.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1337.snc4/162993_10100418420933030_13962816_67716067_4026003 _n.jpg
Road walk on the park loop road.

10-K
01-14-2011, 21:56
Badlands is neat

Sure enough....

On the way there I was really shocked at the number of gophers we saw.

Cookerhiker
01-14-2011, 22:12
Pretty with the snow. Looks like winter's the time to be there.

map man
01-14-2011, 22:17
In September 2008 I hiked for eight days in Guadalupe Mountains National Park in west Texas. You are supposed to write down an itinerary if you are planning to use the backcountry campsites. After four days I went back to park HQ to let them know I was going to make a change in campsites for one of my last days and asked if the new destination was already full. The ranger said I was the only one in the park camped anywhere in the backcountry sites for my previous three days and was the only one currently signed up for the next four! And though I saw dayhikers on the couple most popular day-hike trails during my eight days I never saw another soul in the high country where I spent most of my time. It was beautiful country and I was there at one of the best times of year to hike, but I had the high country to myself. Hiker heaven!

The Cleaner
01-15-2011, 10:51
Been hiking in the Clark's Creek >Sampson Mtn Wilderness > Rocky Fork area right between Greeneville&Erwin TN for 20 years only met about 4 people.Seen evidence of others just never seen hardly anyone.AT access @ Big Butt about 1.5 miles N of Jerry's Cabin Shelter.Or take the recently cleared Squibb Creek Trail>Middle Spring Ridge trail from Horse Creek Campground.If you go you'll probably see no one...and have about 20K acres all to yourself...:cool:

ATsawyer
01-15-2011, 11:13
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/newattachment.php?do=manageattach&p=

Not sure if your day was the exact same as mine, but I was in Shenandoah with crampon after that same ice storm. Sky was cobalt blue. There was nobody south of Thornton Gap that day except me and my hiking partner. Serious rime ice on the tree branches.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/newattachment.php?do=manageattach&p=

skinewmexico
01-15-2011, 11:37
In September 2008 I hiked for eight days in Guadalupe Mountains National Park in west Texas. You are supposed to write down an itinerary if you are planning to use the backcountry campsites. After four days I went back to park HQ to let them know I was going to make a change in campsites for one of my last days and asked if the new destination was already full. The ranger said I was the only one in the park camped anywhere in the backcountry sites for my previous three days and was the only one currently signed up for the next four! And though I saw dayhikers on the couple most popular day-hike trails during my eight days I never saw another soul in the high country where I spent most of my time. It was beautiful country and I was there at one of the best times of year to hike, but I had the high country to myself. Hiker heaven!

Having to carry all your water keeps most of the overnight hikers out.