PDA

View Full Version : 1 week Ga section hike

Rangerman40
01-14-2011, 12:50
Now that my wife has given me the green light for a one week section hike I'm trying to iron out the details. Is it unreasonable to think I could hike the entire Georgia section in a week including the approach trail? I've done some hiking here in Ohio, but nothing overly difficult since we don't really have a lot of hills here. If needed I could stretch the hike out to 8 days, but would prefer to finish in 6-7. Also for those of you that know the weather down that way when would be a good time to leave? I want to do it in the spring some time and I'm fairly heat sensitive so I don't want to be hiking when its above 80, but on the flip side I don't really have the gear to deal with snow on the ground either. I'm really excited to start this adventure and am looking forward to all of your responses.

scope
01-14-2011, 13:06
No snow after 4/15, in general. Freezing temps still possible, but start getting a lot less frequent around that time. Still, cold snaps can take the temps into the 20s, but usually not for very long. Your "best window" of moderate temps might be the first half of May. However, its typically wetter then, and often foggy/misty.

What are you going to do with the northern end point? I would probably just hike from Amicalola to Dicks Creek, even though that's not ALL of Ga. Then leave that last section as the beginning of the next section that you do. Otherwise, that's another 14m to the next road, and another 4m from there down to the nearest paved road. The former would be a good 6-day hike, the latter probably takes you into day 8.

Rangerman40
01-14-2011, 13:38
Hmmm.... Maybe I was a bit overly optomistic thinking of doing the entire state. Dicks Creek seems like a good stopping point as going 8 days cuts down on my spare time alotted for getting home or just hiking a slower pace and still getting to my intended stopping point.

Typically how busy is the trail during the end of april/ early may? My wife wants me to find a hiking partner (not gonna happen) so I guess my next best option is to time my departure during a fairly busy time of year when lots of people take off for their hikes so that I can satisfy her requirement of not hiking alone.

Sickmont
01-14-2011, 13:58
My plan is to do as much of GA as i can fit into a 2 week vacation this summer, which includes drive time(8 or so hours one way) to Atlanta and visit some friends/family for a day or so. I'm guessing i'll wind up just going about 4 days out and then back, hopefully i can make it to the GA/NC state line and back in 8 days. And yeah, the heats gonna be tough too.

Rangerman40
01-14-2011, 14:10
I have about an 8hr drive one way as well. My plan was to leave my house on a friday morning and stay the night at the Hiker Hostel. Have them drop me off at Amicalola on Saturday morning..... and well, that's about the extent of my planning right now lol.

Sickmont
01-14-2011, 14:35
I have about an 8hr drive one way as well. My plan was to leave my house on a friday morning and stay the night at the Hiker Hostel. Have them drop me off at Amicalola on Saturday morning..... and well, that's about the extent of my planning right now lol.

Yeah, i've been thinking about spending a night there and taking the shuttle to Amicalola too. I can't seem to find any other place to park my car long term around the park.

Awol1970
01-14-2011, 14:46
Park it at the Park.

Sickmont
01-14-2011, 14:50
Park it at the Park.

Will they let you do that for a week and a half?

FatMan
01-14-2011, 14:51
Typically how busy is the trail during the end of april/ early may? My wife wants me to find a hiking partner (not gonna happen) so I guess my next best option is to time my departure during a fairly busy time of year when lots of people take off for their hikes so that I can satisfy her requirement of not hiking alone.You will not be lonely. Expect lot of hikers and crowded shelters.

FatMan
01-14-2011, 14:51
Will they let you do that for a week and a half?They will let you do it for months.

Sickmont
01-14-2011, 15:25
They will let you do it for months.

Cool. That's good to know.

daddytwosticks
01-14-2011, 15:39
First half of May when the trees just start to leaf-out is my favorite time to be on this section of the trail. Days getting longer, nice temps, minimal bugs, still some interesting characters starting their thru-hikes late, etc. :)

Semperfeet
01-14-2011, 20:55
You will have a lot of company going through there. It's tough terrain. Those north GA mountains don't play nice.:D

Tinker
01-14-2011, 21:07
They will let you do it for months.

You must register for long term parking at the ranger station, so plan that into your time schedule. I parked there for 11 days, no problems.

bigcranky
01-14-2011, 21:27
Early May is a great time to be on the trail. Still plenty of hikers, but not too crowded. You can start at the park and just hike north as far as you can in six days. Then call for a shuttle back to your car.

Rangerman40
01-15-2011, 12:32
Ok, I have been convinced for an early May start date.... Next question. What will I need in terms of clothing for this time of year?

Rangerman40
01-15-2011, 12:43
And one other question. I'll be using my alcohol stove and freezer bag cooking the whole way. Should I only pack enough food for the first 30 miles to get me to Walasi Yi and then have a drop for the next 3-4 days to get me to Dicks Creek or just pack it all and don't worry about it?

Blissful
01-15-2011, 12:56
Should I only pack enough food for the first 30 miles to get me to Walasi Yi and then have a drop for the next 3-4 days to get me to Dicks Creek

Yup. :)

I see no reason why you can't do the whole state of GA in a week incl. the approach. That's a hair under 12 miles a day. Or if 8, that's only around 10ish.

Blissful
01-15-2011, 12:58
Ok, I have been convinced for an early May start date.... Next question. What will I need in terms of clothing for this time of year?

Insulating clothing still needed. I'd go with a 20 degree bag personally.

Rangerman40
01-15-2011, 13:03
Insulating clothing still needed. I'd go with a 20 degree bag personally.

I have a 30 degree bag that I have had out in temps into the lower 40's/ high 30's while just wearing a t shirt and a pair of gym shorts and had no problems. What's the chances of sub freezing temps this time of year? I didn't really want to buy another bag. I usually sleep warm so I could just put some more clothes on if it gets cold out.

FatMan
01-15-2011, 14:39
I have a 30 degree bag that I have had out in temps into the lower 40's/ high 30's while just wearing a t shirt and a pair of gym shorts and had no problems. What's the chances of sub freezing temps this time of year? I didn't really want to buy another bag. I usually sleep warm so I could just put some more clothes on if it gets cold out.You should be OK. Typical early May temps are highs in the 60-70s and lows in the 40s. But check the weather before you start. It can get as low as the mid 20s on the extremes.

bigcranky
01-15-2011, 17:12
I take my 30-F down bag in May, and it's fine. When it's warm, I just drape it over myself like a quilt (that's why I prefer a full-length zipper.) We had sub-freezing weather on that section in early June, though I expect the average lows to be closer to 40 or mid-40s.

For clothes I would wear shorts and a s/s base layer to hike in, and bring some dry clothes for camp, probably another s/s base layer and very light nylon pants or zipoffs. I sweat a LOT even in cold weather, and it's really nice to have dry clothes in camp and hang the wet stuff to dry. I'd take my Marmot Drlclime jacket for a mid layer, and possibly a very light down vest, depending on the long term forecast (and then only if the lows were expected in the 30s.) Light hat and gloves. I'd bring a rain shell, too, as it can get cold during a heavy rainstorm.