PDA

View Full Version : Lifestyle after the hike? Mobile? Simple? Better job?

sbhikes
01-14-2011, 13:19
So here I am starting year 2 after completing my hike. :( I've become kind of fascinated with the idea of melding trail life with regular life. I'm curious if anybody has done the same. What, if anything, have you done to change your lifestyle after your hike? Did you decide to dwell portably, live in a van or RV so you can save money or just be a vagabond? Did you just strip down your needs to bare bones and get real frugal so you can save for another hike? Or did you just get real frugal and bare bones because you don't care about acquiring stuff anymore? Did you decide to hunker down with a real good job and sock away every penny so you can retire early? Did you decide to go the route of fungible, temporary crap jobs with hiking every year or other year or whatever and just hope for the best? I'd love to hear your experiences.

DuctTape
01-14-2011, 15:43
Went for a few years with of periods of working in my hometown divided by longer trips. Then I discovered working in National Parks, and still get to take off on long distance hikes.

hobbs
01-14-2011, 16:23
I have to ask...The hike has that large of an effect on your life? I'v have done some section hiking here in Virginia and this spring will be my thru hike. I read it has a large affect on people..I just didnt know to be honest...I am actually looking forward to the journey...But it has had that high of an impact on you? could you be a little specific-I understand the material part. I never have been,

Blissful
01-14-2011, 16:27
My son has been living in his car since Sept '09 (he hiked it with me '07). No joke
Me, I still like my house. And am working on my writing (a contracted novella). :) But oh wow, I get on the trail when I can, and have 2 biggie hikes planned this year, finishing my SOBO and then thru hike the JMT. Can't wait.
And I still look for gear. And trail runners on sale.

Mags
01-14-2011, 16:30
I moved 2000 miles away and spent the better part of a decade on all kinds of hiking adventures.

Tilly
01-14-2011, 16:36
Went back to school. It was just taking advantage of an opportunity. If I didn't I would've kicked myself later on.

I plan on trying to hike every year or every other year for the next ~5 years, but after that I will be settling down because I want pets and a kid. No hiking after that.

As for retiring early for me it's never going to happen. I simply don't make enough money to even consider it.

To be honest being a full time homeless/car dwelling person doesn't appeal. I like having an apartment and a warm happy place to stay during the winter.

hobbs
01-14-2011, 16:46
I moved 2000 miles away and spent the better part of a decade on all kinds of hiking adventures.
I can see this maggs..it makes sense to continue in what you enjoy and take the oppertunity....

Adayak
01-14-2011, 17:25
Depends on your current lifestyle / situation. If you have a wife/husband or kids I'm sure you can't just sell it all and live in a van. But then someone who is 22 years old, right out of college with little real responsibilities might have an easier time changing their lifestyle after a thru-hike.

hobbs
01-14-2011, 17:36
Depends on your current lifestyle / situation. If you have a wife/husband or kids I'm sure you can't just sell it all and live in a van. But then someone who is 22 years old, right out of college with little real responsibilities might have an easier time changing their lifestyle after a thru-hike.
I guess what your saying. It affects people differently...That age also and responcibilites paly a roll in that as well...Tilleys post also states it..

garlic08
01-14-2011, 18:22
I remember "purging" my belongings down to the bare necessities before the hike to more easily move stuff into storage. Then after the hike, I looked at all the stuff I had stored and I couldn't imagine why I owned so much crap. Five months with one change of clothes and I felt fine. I think that has defined much of my lifestyle since then.

hobbs
01-14-2011, 18:31
I know SBHIKES started this topic. But I find it interesting because everyone has stated they do change something in their life... The material thing was never an issue with me...I was in the Military and always had to have a deployment bag ready..I never really like collecting things because I had to be the one to move them..I like simple like that but Iam still intrigued by everyone's reply...

FatherTime09
01-14-2011, 18:55
Considering I was only on the trail for a month and a half, it impacted my life greatly. I definitely got rid of at least half of my belongings before the trail, expecting of course to be gone for 6 months, and my parents not wanting to store all my stuff. Started hiking, met my dream girl (Sarah) Easter weekend and got to know her. We ended up having sooo much in common it wasn't funny. (Being the only two we knew of with external frame packs, the most tattoos, large gauged ears.. the list goes on) We also had a pretty haphazard plan for our hiking in common, and both were running out of money. Got to talking and planned to get off the trail in Damascus after Trail Days, and I was to move from my home state of CT to hers, DE. So that's what we did. I ended up meeting a bunch of her friends who had the same kind of attitude (traveling, holding bull**** jobs just for some money, dumpstering...), lucked out with a few part time jobs to get me through, all the while talking about our next adventure. We decided to do the WWOOFing thing (http://www.wwoof-usa.org (http://www.wwoof-usa.org/)) and set out basically with what we walked in with (backpacks filled with the necessities) and hitchhiked our way to FL. Lived with no electricity, in a van in a field, cooked over a fire every day, dumpstered at least 80% of our food, and did the work for stay thing for a month and a half over the winter. Got the chance to hitch a ride to New Orleans and back with our host during that time, where we know some people. Back to FL, then started traveling with a friend we made on the farm, driving her car around southern FL waiting out the warm weather up north. Stayed with some friends and family for a few weeks, drove up to GA then to Asheville NC to meet some friends, then parted ways with our friend. She going west, us going north. My brother happened to be on his way back to CT from Mardi Gras, met us on the highway and gave us a hitch a few hours north to the exit for Sarah's parents' place, where we stayed and helped out on the farm for another month. They dropped us at a truck stop an hour north, and we hitchhiked our way up to DE to see all our friends again. Convinced a friend from CT to come visit DE and give us a ride to CT. Ended up at my parents' house for a while, then at a friend's apt until I heard about a job making good money. Decided I needed some money so I signed up, got a car, apartment in the ghetto, all the works. Did that for 6 months, got tired of meaningless work, managed to get married though! but now it's starting to get cold... time to go south. Have a car this time, moved all our stuff with us, and are now here at Sarah's parents again. They have 10 acres about 15 min from the AT, and we will be building a dome cabin come spring time on what will be essentially "our half" of the property. Been here about 2 months, finally found a job, and we are expecting our first child in August! Sooo... we're settled for now for obvious reasons, and our dream is to open a hostel nearby to serve the AT community. I've even got my sights on a property, 5 min walk from the trail.
So, you wanted a story, here's your story. haha Hope someone enjoyed that. Would love to hear more from others!

hobbs
01-14-2011, 19:07
Considering I was only on the trail for a month and a half, it impacted my life greatly. I definitely got rid of at least half of my belongings before the trail, expecting of course to be gone for 6 months, and my parents not wanting to store all my stuff. Started hiking, met my dream girl (Sarah) Easter weekend and got to know her. We ended up having sooo much in common it wasn't funny. (Being the only two we knew of with external frame packs, the most tattoos, large gauged ears.. the list goes on) We also had a pretty haphazard plan for our hiking in common, and both were running out of money. Got to talking and planned to get off the trail in Damascus after Trail Days, and I was to move from my home state of CT to hers, DE. So that's what we did. I ended up meeting a bunch of her friends who had the same kind of attitude (traveling, holding bull**** jobs just for some money, dumpstering...), lucked out with a few part time jobs to get me through, all the while talking about our next adventure. We decided to do the WWOOFing thing (http://www.wwoof-usa.org (http://www.wwoof-usa.org/)) and set out basically with what we walked in with (backpacks filled with the necessities) and hitchhiked our way to FL. Lived with no electricity, in a van in a field, cooked over a fire every day, dumpstered at least 80% of our food, and did the work for stay thing for a month and a half over the winter. Got the chance to hitch a ride to New Orleans and back with our host during that time, where we know some people. Back to FL, then started traveling with a friend we made on the farm, driving her car around southern FL waiting out the warm weather up north. Stayed with some friends and family for a few weeks, drove up to GA then to Asheville NC to meet some friends, then parted ways with our friend. She going west, us going north. My brother happened to be on his way back to CT from Mardi Gras, met us on the highway and gave us a hitch a few hours north to the exit for Sarah's parents' place, where we stayed and helped out on the farm for another month. They dropped us at a truck stop an hour north, and we hitchhiked our way up to DE to see all our friends again. Convinced a friend from CT to come visit DE and give us a ride to CT. Ended up at my parents' house for a while, then at a friend's apt until I heard about a job making good money. Decided I needed some money so I signed up, got a car, apartment in the ghetto, all the works. Did that for 6 months, got tired of meaningless work, managed to get married though! but now it's starting to get cold... time to go south. Have a car this time, moved all our stuff with us, and are now here at Sarah's parents again. They have 10 acres about 15 min from the AT, and we will be building a dome cabin come spring time on what will be essentially "our half" of the property. Been here about 2 months, finally found a job, and we are expecting our first child in August! Sooo... we're settled for now for obvious reasons, and our dream is to open a hostel nearby to serve the AT community. I've even got my sights on a property, 5 min walk from the trail.
So, you wanted a story, here's your story. haha Hope someone enjoyed that. Would love to hear more from others!
I read somewhere you were close to Rockbridge? if this is true there's a hiker day for WB in roanoak in Feb. If your interested send me a PM...I read you said something about wanting to do a hiker hostel...

Luddite
01-14-2011, 20:37
My son has been living in his car since Sept '09 (he hiked it with me '07). No joke

Thats cool. I've been wanting to do that myself. Buy a van, put my kayak on top, and drive around the country working odd jobs and going to all the national parks. How old is he?

sbhikes
01-14-2011, 22:48
I talked to a guy who said that after his AT hike he never wore a suit again. I guess that was a while ago. Now he lives in an RV. Since I was talking with people who live in Vans and RVs it made me wonder how many of them were drawn to that lifestyle because of long distance hiking, hence my question. I know a lot of former hikers are drawn to simpler living, or paring down their things.

I can't say my lifestyle has really changed much except that I work only part-time now and still manage to save a lot of money. I did get a giant tattoo on my leg. Kind of like I realized that I'm never going to strive for any kind of job that requires a pristine leg.

Chop
01-15-2011, 00:39
I am guessing that it is a little self fulfilling in that the type of person who would hike the AT would be open to big change. Thru hikers are giving up/changing something to do the hike already, so that stone has started rolling already ( for those on their first hike ).

hobbs
01-15-2011, 01:01
I am guessing that it is a little self fulfilling in that the type of person who would hike the AT would be open to big change. Thru hikers are giving up/changing something to do the hike already, so that stone has started rolling already ( for those on their first hike ).
I understand your saying in a way a thru hiker is a rolling stone that gathers no moss in a sense...Yes i can see that by peoples reply's in a way..

Torch09
01-15-2011, 01:48
Thats cool. I've been wanting to do that myself. Buy a van, put my kayak on top, and drive around the country working odd jobs and going to all the national parks. How old is he?

When do you plan on starting your hike? I need to meet you! I've got a pick up truck and I'm planning on getting a cap on it so I can haul my kayak on top and sleep inside.

Pedaling Fool
01-15-2011, 09:01
I always lived kind of a frugal lifestyle, just part of me, no effort involved. So I don't get it when people talk about adopting trail life after a thru.

For me it was all about restarting my approach to maintaining a healthy body, because I was starting to get bored and falling off a cliff WRT my health; I also saw it as a way to get me into running. It all worked and I'm now much healthier for it, not from adopting a trail lifestyle, simply using the physical activity of a hike to overhaul my body.

I have no desire, in the least, to live in a tent, van, RV...or whatever. Yes, on some level owning a house can be a burden, but life is a burden. If you try and relieve all your burdens you will be miserable, best to try and make the best of it and purge on the worst and unnecessary, just don't throw out the baby with the bath water.

Working out to maintain a healthy body is sometimes a very irritating burden, but nature requires it, life just sucks, the quicker you realize that the happier you will be.

FatherTime09
01-15-2011, 12:35
... life just sucks, the quicker you realize that the happier you will be.

I think some of us are happier realizing that life doesn't suck, when you get rid of all the needless crap and do what really makes you happy. It is what you make it.

No-one is destined to live a life of poverty, because each of us has the ability to change everything in this life. The law of attraction is the law of creation, and it allows each person to create the life they want. Every person has their own unique circumstances to overcome, but every single person has the opportunity to achieve anything - and change everything.

In other words, you have a choice, do what you want. :D

Tenderheart
01-15-2011, 13:05
Cup and I lived in a fifth-wheel for 2 years after my thru hike and would still be if it hadn't started falling apart. We built a very small house (676 sq. ft.) in the woods on her late father's farm. I don't have or want any stuff. We keep life as simple as society will allow. You know the American way is prettier girl, bigger house, faster car. Living the way we do is not always easy but it vastly beats the alternative. I see how much stuff most people have and wonder why on earth. I am really content to have the bare essentials. Maybe I'm crazy.

litefoot 2000

bpitt
01-15-2011, 13:48
I wish to live simpler. I do have a different view on life, and a much greater appreciation for it as well. I crave to 'be in the woods' just to mellow out. I also am seeking employment closer to great hiking locations ;).

pistol p
01-15-2011, 15:28
No-one is destined to live a life of poverty, because each of us has the ability to change everything in this life. The law of attraction is the law of creation, and it allows each person to create the life they want. Every person has their own unique circumstances to overcome, but every single person has the opportunity to achieve anything - and change everything....:D

Amen, brother.

;)

hobbs
01-15-2011, 15:32
I wish to live simpler. I do have a different view on life, and a much greater appreciation for it as well. I crave to 'be in the woods' just to mellow out. I also am seeking employment closer to great hiking locations ;).
I live right here by the AT..It's nice in a sense the greatest spot on the trail is only a 5 mile hike in then 5 out. Nice area to reflect and recharge..I am looking to see the whole trail this spring and understand myself even more.

sbhikes
01-16-2011, 00:34
I"ve always wanted to be a nomadic person but have never been one except on the trail. I really enjoyed it. I live in the same town where I was born. I can see the hospital room I was born in from my living room. I got all my schooling here, too. I liked the nomadic life of the trail and I doubt I'll ever live that way, but I would love to do more of it. It intrigues me that some people live that way. Makes me wonder...

Pedaling Fool
01-16-2011, 09:15
There are still many people of the world that live the nomadic lifestyle, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lycmTmNCBI&feature=related

That video illustrates what I think of when the word "nomadic" is used, but I understand there are different concepts of it.

What I find intensly interesting are the uncontacted tribes of the world. Many people think of the Amazon area, but there are other areas, such as in New Zealand

http://blogs.nationalgeographic.com/blogs/news/chiefeditor/2009/05/five-uncontacted-tribes-nearing-extinction.html

Kind of an interesting way to look at the history of man, sort of in real time.

10-K
01-16-2011, 09:24
Everybody has their own unique story - that's what makes the world an interesting place.

fiddlehead
01-16-2011, 10:08
My hiking career started when i got divorced in '88.
I hiked every year until I had a kid in 2005.
Now, I just hope he is into hiking so we can do some together.

I've lived in vans, travelled around the world, expanded my horizons beyond my wildest dreams from my life before.
Now, I'm back in the rat race, living for my kid mostly.
But, I'll be back.
I stay in shape by designing a trail here in Southeast Asia and it's almost as exciting as hiking except i'm hope most every night.
Yes, hiking long distance stuff totally changed me.
If you would've told me before my 1st hike that someday i'd be living in Thailand, I would never have believed you. never.
Life is Priorities, I discovered that mine was travelling. Hiking is one of the best ways to travel (although a bit slow sometimes)