PDA

View Full Version : ULA Catalyst or Circuit?

ecohen
01-14-2011, 14:25
(for a thru-hike on the AT)

KMACK
01-14-2011, 14:34
I guess that depends on how much and what type of gear you bring. The Ciruit has been on my short list for some time but as my gear weight is getting lower I realize that I dont need as big of a pack.

topshelf
01-14-2011, 14:56
How large is your current pack? How does it compare to each of these?

skinewmexico
01-14-2011, 14:57
I use my Circuit 20 times for every 1 time I use my Catalyst. Catalyst is just too big for what I do, which is 3-5 day trips.

Luddite
01-14-2011, 15:10
The Circuit is the perfect size for a thru-hike, the Catalyst is probably going to be too big.

Spokes
01-14-2011, 16:34
I was talking to Wayne at Bluff Mountain Outfitters in Hot Springs late last year about this exact question. Comes down to a series of trade-offs. Double check the base weight recommendations of each and factor in your personal comfort factor. Decisions, decisions....

I'm steering towards the Catalyst as a replacement for my old Atmos 65 (which performed flawlessly on my 2009 thru).

Good luck.

wrongway_08
01-14-2011, 16:49
Circuit was a bit big, even with my dogs gear but, its nice to have a little extra room, incase you want to stay out a few days longer. It held up well on my Thru., only had one problem - stich came loose - the company sent me a new one asap.

Spokes
01-14-2011, 16:55
..... It held up well on my Thru., only had one problem - stich came loose - the company sent me a new one asap.

Knew a couple thru hikers in 09 that had their ULA packs blow out (stitches and such) like you but the company made it right for each of them.

I reiterate double checking the base weight recommendations.

FiveHead
01-14-2011, 17:32
I have been wondering the same thing.

Here are my larger items:
-Montbell UL Super Spiral #1
-Tarptent Moment
-Use a Thermarest Zlite

I have slowly been buying lighter/nicer clothing and recently changed to a alcohol stove from my pocket rocket.

My pack is a Gregory Baltoro 70.

I don't need all of this room and would like to possibly spend the money and get a lighter pack but nobody around Birmingham, Al carries ULA.

Anyone know if this stuff would fit in the Circuit?

WhoDey
01-14-2011, 17:42
I have been wondering the same thing.

Here are my larger items:
-Montbell UL Super Spiral #1
-Tarptent Moment
-Use a Thermarest Zlite

I have slowly been buying lighter/nicer clothing and recently changed to a alcohol stove from my pocket rocket.

My pack is a Gregory Baltoro 70.

I don't need all of this room and would like to possibly spend the money and get a lighter pack but nobody around Birmingham, Al carries ULA.

Anyone know if this stuff would fit in the Circuit?

The Circuit should fit your needs fine assuming you aren't bringing unnecessary items. The Catalyst is huge so unless you routinely carry large items or a bear canister, the Circuit will be fine.

To the OP, the Circuit is a great size for a thru, but without us knowing what you will be carrying, it is hard for us to say

Chop
01-15-2011, 01:00
I'll be taking this pack for my sobo this summer, wife as well.

For me, it is about perfect size, but for my wife it is just a touch large for the warm months, but she doesn't carry the tent (smd lunar duo). That being said, it is still a pretty good size that we have used for shorter trips, at least for how we both pack. ( base weights of 11-14).

Chop
01-15-2011, 01:02
I'll be taking this pack for my sobo this summer, wife as well.

For me, it is about perfect size, but for my wife it is just a touch large for the warm months, but she doesn't carry the tent (smd lunar duo). That being said, it is still a pretty good size that we have used for shorter trips, at least for how we both pack. ( base weights of 11-14).

In doing a section in NC in November, we met 4 sobos, 3 of them had the circuit.

wrongway_08
01-15-2011, 13:12
My stiches fell apart behind the belt. When I talked to the sales rep, he said it would effect the pack (I had tied off the ends already). I told him I wasnt worried then but he sent me one anyways.

No other problems after that and the pack has been abused by worse trails then the A.T. since.

Just FYI.

beas
01-15-2011, 13:51
I figured tha the OHM would work for most thru hikers.
BEAS

Luddite
01-15-2011, 14:16
I figured tha the OHM would work for most thru hikers.
BEAS

Its works OK for me. Plenty of room even for cold weather gear.

Spokes
01-15-2011, 14:34
Luddite, did you use a pack cover or just a liner with your Ohm?

Luddite
01-15-2011, 14:57
Luddite, did you use a pack cover or just a liner with your Ohm?

I use both. Trash compactor bag and cuben fiber cover.

Storm
01-15-2011, 17:24
I must be doing something totally wrong. I bought the Catalyst based on ULA's reccomendation, more support for someone my age. When I load up all my gear I'm pretty much filling up the pack and wondering if I'll have enough room for food. Only have a base weight of about 19 pounds but it sure seems to take up a lot of space. Really carries well though.

nawlunz
01-15-2011, 17:46
seems to be an excellent pack and people swear by it. However, I had the same concern on space. It seems, however, that the space advertised by ULA is in several compartments, including outside the pack, water pockets, etc. as opposed to a larger compartment for packs like the Atmost 65. I was very inclined to go with the catalyst, but expressed the same reservation.

I don't think I am to the point of being totally UL just yet, so perhaps I am leaning to the Atmos. But, I guess with experience one is able to take less and be comfortable with the supplies. I don't think I am there yet.

beas
01-15-2011, 20:11
If you are looking on what could fit in an OHM take a look at this fellas vi o. He is a superstar from the sister site Hammockforums.net.

http://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery#p/u/24/i57YopeCubc

He and I have just about the same pack load. He is reviewing a six day load for a trip in N.C. I have been giving the OHM a hard look. I already have Atmos the size of a hot air ballon.

If nothing else he could entertain you for atlest 2 hours with his videos and dont be surprised if you start looking for a hammock.

BEAS

topshelf
01-15-2011, 22:20
I must be doing something totally wrong. I bought the Catalyst based on ULA's reccomendation, more support for someone my age. When I load up all my gear I'm pretty much filling up the pack and wondering if I'll have enough room for food. Only have a base weight of about 19 pounds but it sure seems to take up a lot of space. Really carries well though.

I'm with you I can't fit everything into a much smaller pack. I don't carry a whole lot of weight but some of the thing I carry are bulky. I often don't cram my sleeping bag down to it's smallest size and some of my clothes are light and bulky. Not really extra weight. My base is around 17-18.

stranger
01-16-2011, 08:25
I might point out that ULA packs are built for lightweight backpacking...and base weights around 18-20 pounds or so means you are probably outside the realistic range of these packs after you add food and water.

Also, remember that volume and weight do not necessarily go together, it's quite possible to have a 60 liter pack weight less than a 45 liter pack depending on who is packing it.

The Circuit is smaller than it looks because of the very narrow bottom section that tapers back to front, but it's large enough for a thru-hike in my opinion. I wrote a review of the Circuit in this forum a while back as well if that helps.

garbanz
01-16-2011, 09:20
I have both packs. The Circuit is lighter and I will be packing it for my AT thru in the lightweight catagory. Its right for a full up 30 lb load. The Catalyst has the volume needed for the PCT where resupply points are farther apart.

topshelf
01-16-2011, 11:08
I might point out that ULA packs are built for lightweight backpacking...and base weights around 18-20 pounds or so means you are probably outside the realistic range of these packs after you add food and water.

Also, remember that volume and weight do not necessarily go together, it's quite possible to have a 60 liter pack weight less than a 45 liter pack depending on who is packing it.

The Circuit is smaller than it looks because of the very narrow bottom section that tapers back to front, but it's large enough for a thru-hike in my opinion. I wrote a review of the Circuit in this forum a while back as well if that helps.

I carry a Circuit and have never had an issue with my base weight or my pack being overloaded to the point the pack starts to strain and not carry properly even with my higher than recommended base weight, and I often load 6-7 days worth of food

10-K
01-16-2011, 11:16

On a cold winter trip I have no problem filling up my Catalyst. I'm preparing to hike the BMT through GSMNP in a few weeks, weather permitting, which means 5 days of food.

I'm mentally preparing myself for a full, 30 lb pack.

Of course I've got to be ready for pretty extreme cold and be prepared to hunker down for a few days if necessary so whatcha going to do? 30 lbs seems pretty light for those circumstances.

Summertime, no problem at all to get out the door with 20 lbs.

gipcgirl
01-16-2011, 19:47
(for a thru-hike on the AT)
I used a ULA Circuit for my Thru hike last year loved it. Base weight for me was 9lbs and this pack was perfect. Using it again this year for another Thru Hike on the AT I have had to repair some of the outside mesh panels, very easy to do, darning needle and dental floss works great.

stranger
01-16-2011, 19:53
I carry a Circuit and have never had an issue with my base weight or my pack being overloaded to the point the pack starts to strain and not carry properly even with my higher than recommended base weight, and I often load 6-7 days worth of food

I'm very proud of you :)

It's not a question of having a 'problem'...it's a question of efficiency and function. Overloading any pack means compromising the packs performance and fit. The whole purpose of going light is to maximize efficiency on the trail, not compromise it by buying a 38 ounce ULA and loading it with 30lbs, that's just silly.

Wanderfar
01-23-2011, 21:58
Suggest ordering both, with arrangements to return one based on loading each and see for yourself. I returned Ohm because it seemed too small / tight for me. HYOH :sun:sun:sun

topshelf
01-23-2011, 22:57

It's not a question of having a 'problem'...it's a question of efficiency and function. Overloading any pack means compromising the packs performance and fit. The whole purpose of going light is to maximize efficiency on the trail, not compromise it by buying a 38 ounce ULA and loading it with 30lbs, that's just silly.

that statement makes no sense...if I carry 30 pounds(the weight with a full week of food) then it's below the recommended carrying weight for the pack. Each day I go it gets further and further below the recommended weight. If I carry less than the recommended weight then I should have no problem with the pack failing. Just because I choose not to carry 10 pounds in my pack doesn't mean I'm limited to 5 pound packs. Just plain dumb.

beas
01-24-2011, 00:05
Talked with Chris at ULA Fri evening. I was watching the videos I shared in the first page Shug was getting 6 days worth in an OHM. No ultra lighter either. I believe he was pushing it to the max. I felt I was also going to push the limits of the OHM. I informed him that I was at 18lbs without food and water. Hammock and all accessories, clohtes, stove, fuel, and possibles for 3 season hiking. He recomended the Circuit right away. With food and water I will be at 30. He said the hip belt on the Circuit was the big factor. They also have the 2011 version out now. Swapped out the netting on side pouches and added cordura to the bottom. Chris also reports a slight weight savings on the 2011. Looks as if I will order one Mon. morning.
Now I gotta determine if there is enough volume to carry the gear???

BEAS

stranger
01-27-2011, 08:49
that statement makes no sense...if I carry 30 pounds(the weight with a full week of food) then it's below the recommended carrying weight for the pack. Each day I go it gets further and further below the recommended weight. If I carry less than the recommended weight then I should have no problem with the pack failing. Just because I choose not to carry 10 pounds in my pack doesn't mean I'm limited to 5 pound packs. Just plain dumb.

Yes, you are right...I told you to carry a 5 pound pack...

I also told you that your are in danger of the pack 'failing'...

You might want to read my post again, I didn't make either comment...what I was trying to say is that I personally don't understand the logic in loading an ultralight pack with 30lbs of weight, regardless of what 'rating' ULA gives the pack.

It's a matter of opinion, that's all...

topshelf
01-27-2011, 09:42

:-?:rolleyes:

topshelf
01-27-2011, 09:43
Overloading any pack means compromising the packs performance and fit. The whole purpose of going light is to maximize efficiency on the trail, not compromise it by buying a 38 ounce ULA and loading it with 30lbs, that's just silly.

:-?:rolleyes::eek:

beas
01-27-2011, 18:18
Circuit should arrive tomorrow!

Hope I am happy..BEAS