PDA

View Full Version : I have to do this!! Am I crazy??

davenc
01-14-2011, 16:01
Im glad I found this site. I am sure others have posted the same story Im about to post but this one is mine and would really like some feedback.

Im 33 and recently left a very unhappy job. I started back to school this month. I have been searching for "something" for my whole life I guess. I come from a Broken family, etc..etc...etc.. and it seems no matter what I do I just can't find it. Even having started school I just feel like Im crawling out of my skin. School is important to me but I have spent so much time f-ing my life up I just feel like I want to spend some time away from the craziness of it all. Im single, no kids...really nothing to keep me away from the trail. For a long time I just felt like i didn't have permission to do anything that was out of the "norm". Then I watched "into the Wild". Yes I know that movie ended with death and I don't wish that on anyone but I fell in love with Alexanders passion for life and also with his rebellious spirit.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this other then to say I HAVE to do something. I have to walk, I have to prove something to myself. I have to start somewhere!!. I have to get away from the madness. I have to just be with myself, and with other kindred spirits.
I feel very unprepared because basically I am. Would doing maybe a section of the trail this summer be a smart thing? I live in NC so getting to the trail is just a few hours. I almost feel like not doing something is much more dangerous then doing it. Sounds crazy but it's how I feel.
Can any of you relate to my babbling? If so let me know if I just need to up my prozac...lol...or if you think Im not really crazy at all. Thanks!!

sbhikes
01-14-2011, 16:07
I have to do this!! Am I crazy??
You are asking the wrong people. Of course you are crazy and so are we!

Would doing maybe a section of the trail this summer be a smart thing?
It's always a smart thing to go hiking! Also, if you are asking if it would be smarter for inexperienced you to hike a small section instead of the whole thing, why not just set out and see how far you get? Lots of people set out to do a section and then just keep on going.

hobbs
01-14-2011, 16:08
Im glad I found this site. I am sure others have posted the same story Im about to post but this one is mine and would really like some feedback.

Im 33 and recently left a very unhappy job. I started back to school this month. I have been searching for "something" for my whole life I guess. I come from a Broken family, etc..etc...etc.. and it seems no matter what I do I just can't find it. Even having started school I just feel like Im crawling out of my skin. School is important to me but I have spent so much time f-ing my life up I just feel like I want to spend some time away from the craziness of it all. Im single, no kids...really nothing to keep me away from the trail. For a long time I just felt like i didn't have permission to do anything that was out of the "norm". Then I watched "into the Wild". Yes I know that movie ended with death and I don't wish that on anyone but I fell in love with Alexanders passion for life and also with his rebellious spirit.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this other then to say I HAVE to do something. I have to walk, I have to prove something to myself. I have to start somewhere!!. I have to get away from the madness. I have to just be with myself, and with other kindred spirits.
I feel very unprepared because basically I am. Would doing maybe a section of the trail this summer be a smart thing? I live in NC so getting to the trail is just a few hours. I almost feel like not doing something is much more dangerous then doing it. Sounds crazy but it's how I feel.
Can any of you relate to my babbling? If so let me know if I just need to up my prozac...lol...or if you think Im not really crazy at all. Thanks!!
No your not crazy many people have different reasons for hikeing..But a section sounds like a good idea in the sense it would make you more at ease and comfertble..It will also give you an understanding of learning about yourself.IMO

4eyedbuzzard
01-14-2011, 16:08
You are crazy. Nothing will likely change that. You might as well go for a hike and have some fun.

davenc
01-14-2011, 16:09
You are asking the wrong people. Of course you are crazy and so are we!

It's always a smart thing to go hiking! Also, if you are asking if it would be smarter for inexperienced you to hike a small section instead of the whole thing, why not just set out and see how far you get? Lots of people set out to do a section and then just keep on going.

Ok good to know we are all crazy here...and in a good way it seems.

Sickmont
01-14-2011, 16:19
You are crazy. Nothing will likely change that. You might as well go for a hike and have some fun.

Yeah, like Buzzard said. Go play in the woods and be crazy.

hikerboy57
01-14-2011, 16:41
You're not crazy unless you eat the wild potatoes!

davenc
01-14-2011, 16:55
So what about family that thinks I'm crazy? how do I answer all of the questions??

Sickmont
01-14-2011, 16:58
So what about family that thinks I'm crazy? how do I answer all of the questions??

So let them think it. They wont bother you too often ever again if they think youre divergent.

hobbs
01-14-2011, 16:59
Do what I did tell them...Show them the National geographic AT Trail video. Have them call The ATC and speak with someone as well.... Your not crazy....I told my family and my mother is 73 and one brother said do it while you can.... So thats what I got for a responce.One brother said i should do it all in sections. Nope was mine and he said ok...But my sister her view is negative, I really dont care what she thinks anyway..To be honest,

hikerboy57
01-14-2011, 17:04
Your familys probably right. welcome to the club.

hikerboy57
01-14-2011, 17:05
And would you prefer to be "normal"? pretty boring.

tawa
01-14-2011, 17:10
Yep----your crazy all right!!** But relax ---you could be normal ---work a stressful job in a cubicle from 9-5 each day, drive in heavy freeway traffic for an hour each day, live in a suburbia USA on a culdasack with fifty other look alike homes, go to Walmart three-four times a week, have and use several technological gadgets which make you totally accessible and unplugged from the mainstream and be hooked on watching CNN news and ESPN sports several hours a day ---all while seldom exercising and hiking away from the couch and remote to either go to the refrigerator or bathroom!!** lol
Sure glad were crazy! Sure glad we took the other fork in the road and choose to travel the path less travelled. Actually hope we can keep it a secret because the mainstream would find a way to screw it up and for the government to either own or control it!
Just keep on hiking.

Slo-go'en
01-14-2011, 17:26
Going out hiking isn't going to solve any of your problems, but it could make you feel better and make it easier to deal with them.

Go to vist some thrift stores and get some basic camping/backpacking gear to start, do some short trips, say a weekend and if you enjoy it, start upgrading the gear and go out for longer trips.

Good luck!

beakerman
01-14-2011, 17:36
I'm with slo go...it seems to me that many of the folk I have spoken with feel they should have had some self realization/revelation/epiphany while doing a long distance hike. i personally have never has one. i have met some that claim they have but not many.

In short you will likely enjoy your time on the trail but I would advise against expecting to meet yourself on the trail.

earlyriser26
01-14-2011, 17:39
A section hike is a must. You may be looking for "something", but it may not be the trail. It is not for everyone.

hikerboy57
01-14-2011, 17:41
I agree with both of the above or as Mr Brady said"Wherever you go,there you are". But a bit of solitude away from all the distractions of everyday "life", it becomes kind of a walking meditation, giving you more clarity to deal with whatever issues you might be facing.

Lemni Skate
01-14-2011, 17:55
You've got nothing to tie you down. Get to Springer this spring. Start hiking north. Think of the first 30 miles as a section hike. Then when you get to Neels Gap, let them do a pack shakedown with you. You'll be ready to go the rest of the way.

I don't know how your set financially, but if you've got the money do it all now while you can!

Many Walks
01-14-2011, 17:56
As noted, the trail won't solve your problems, but I'll add hiking it will give you plenty of time to think about them and hopefully spur some ideas of what direction you might want to take in your life. You will also be tempted in the trail towns to party a lot and blow your money on new found “friends” who have none, which generally ends in failure. If you can maintain your commitment to hiking the trail you will learn to take care of yourself, manage the logistics of resupply, put in the miles, determine the route and distance each day to the next stop, manage and maintain your gear, and a bunch of other basic skills that will increase your confidence to decide what challenges you want to tackle next. It's a very long and challenging walk, but the journey is extremely rewarding and a great feeling to go to the end. Remember, the trail doesn't care if your make it or not. It's totally up to you.

Helios
01-14-2011, 18:10
“Throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
Mark Twain

“Insanity: a perfectly rational response to an insane world.”

My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you’re ugly too.
Rodney Dangerfield

“There is a thin line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.”
Oscar Levant

davenc
01-15-2011, 00:39
Yep----your crazy all right!!** But relax ---you could be normal ---work a stressful job in a cubicle from 9-5 each day, drive in heavy freeway traffic for an hour each day, live in a suburbia USA on a culdasack with fifty other look alike homes, go to Walmart three-four times a week, have and use several technological gadgets which make you totally accessible and unplugged from the mainstream and be hooked on watching CNN news and ESPN sports several hours a day ---all while seldom exercising and hiking away from the couch and remote to either go to the refrigerator or bathroom!!** lol
Sure glad were crazy! Sure glad we took the other fork in the road and choose to travel the path less travelled. Actually hope we can keep it a secret because the mainstream would find a way to screw it up and for the government to either own or control it!
Just keep on hiking.

This is my favorite response thus far!...
I also will take the comments regarding the trail not solving my problems. Youa re right I should not have any expectations so far as what to expect on the trail. Just letting things happen would be the better way to approach things.
What I like most is the over-all approach that everyone has had to break from the mainstream and do what I feel is best for me. Breaking my old train of thinking is a constant struggle but I can do it. BTW...Where do I find people like all of you in my own area?? Hikers, rebels, whatever you wanna call it...where are you?

hobbs
01-15-2011, 01:13
now that you know we exist.You have to hike for you and you know where will all be this spring! On the trail!!!

4eyedbuzzard
01-15-2011, 01:22
BTW...Where do I find people like all of you in my own area?? Hikers, rebels, whatever you wanna call it...where are you?
Mostly, we're institutionalized. :D

Seriously, join a local trail club and you'll meet others. Lots of clubs organize group hikes / weekenders / short section hikes.

Also, just go start hiking. Especially on weekends during good weather there are usually others out hiking. If you camp at or near shelters you'll often get to socialize a bit and get to know some others there too. Most people hike somewhat locally, so you'll often meet people that you'll see again. Sometimes there are more than you'd even like - the woods can sometimes get crowded in popular spots.

10-K
01-15-2011, 07:56
Not to be a stick in the mud or anything but once you start hiking this romanticism will quickly wear off. It's a LOT of work.

I really like your idea of a few section hikes before taking the plunge - that's pretty wise.

Mountain_Goat
01-15-2011, 08:11
wow,alot of what you said i can relate to.I'm 34 years old..landed in a career by default.Not happy.haven't been for about a few days after i graduated.Ended up staying because it paid the bills.I finally made the decision to thru hike the trail starting march 1st.I feel as though i need a break from the "normal" day to day life.I have a fiance and if it wasn't for her and her ability to "cover my ass" i definitly would not b able to fullfill this need as well as desire and dream i have had my entire existance.I am enrolling in school and when i return i will be starting over basically.It took me 34 years to finally decide where i feel as though i belong in this world.Outdoors.
goodluck and hope to see you on the trail.

Carbo
01-15-2011, 10:13
I broke it down to 2 choices...

Choice1. Stay home.
I will feel: bored. I will do the following: go to work, eat, sleep, repeat. I will think: should I do the thru-hike? Where the hell is the remote? Is this all there is?

Choice 2. Do the thru-hike.
I will feel: tired, hungry, hot, cold, happy, sad, challenged, discouraged, sore, encouraged and homesick. I will do the following: walk, camp, sleep, repeat; meet people, be dirty, stink, worry about food water and weather, see many sunsets, lose weight, get wet, get eaten by bugs and be uncomfortable. I will think: this is awesome, this sucks, this is where I belong, I just don’t want to do this, I’m glad I’m doing this now, I wonder if my wife left me, do I have enough food and water?

I'll let you guess which one I chose :rolleyes:.

Big Dawg
01-15-2011, 10:51
Im glad I found this site. I am sure others have posted the same story Im about to post but this one is mine and would really like some feedback.......

Welcome to WB!! YES, you're crazy. Congratulations! Welcome to the club. A lot of good responses so far. Question... have you ever done any hiking/backpacking? As 10K says,, "it's a LOT of work". But obviously work that's VERY rewarding. If you don't have any gear, then take the time to do research here, and make a list of the items you'll need. Many of us could send you a spreadsheet of our gear lists to give you an idea of a typical "kit",, ie.. all your gear. As far as finding yourself,, you'll have plenty of time in the woods to reflect, which can give clarity on what you really want to do in your future. Ultimately... go walk in the woods, and have a great time, and figure out what you want your experience to be. Oh, and while perusing here, sometimes you'll have to ignore the bickering, which accompanies any online forum. I sift through the crap and find the nuggets of gold. WB has many of them!

Yep----your crazy all right!!** But relax ---you could be normal ---work a stressful job in a cubicle from 9-5 each day........ etc.

one of my favorite responses too!

You're not crazy unless you eat the wild potatoes!

or the yellow snow,,, :D

endubyu
01-15-2011, 11:14
The journey is the destination, regardless of how long that journey is. What you seek may be found closer to home. State parks have hiking trails and campgrounds. Being on an organized trail for 6 months can give you a sense of accomplishment, and having it defined for you can give you a sense of direction and a stopping point. But never let Katahdin be your goal! (or Springer if SOBO). Enjoy each day you're in the wilderness whether on the AT or 20 miles from home. If you hike 20 miles today or two, take time to look around you, smell the air, hear the breeze in the leaves,... experience the solitude and make yourself whole. Let everyday be a pilgrimage. Your path will come to you.

Tenderheart
01-15-2011, 11:38

That's a good question. For 25+ years I have been hearing how crazy I am for running every day. When I announced my plans to thru hike, well. Just tell them that if they have to ask the question, they won't understand the answer. I'd much rather be the way I am than be normal. Wouldn't you?

litefoot 2000

the goat
01-15-2011, 12:13

when you boil it down, it's just going for a walk. nothing crazy about that.

Storm
01-15-2011, 12:46
I've done the 9-5 so to speak for 47 years. Started working when I was 17 and have provided a decent life for myself and my family. When I announced a little over a year ago that I was going to go backpacking with the ultimate goal to attempt a thru hike my entire family thought the old guy had finally lost it. Now that I've lost 40 pounds and can out walk my grandkids their change in attitude has been dramatic. Now they ask reasonable questions and understand this isn't a suicide mission.

If you want to talk crazy then wait until you've been on the trail for several days without a shower or shave, haven't combed your hair, you've slept in you clothes, walked 30 or 40 miles in 90 degree weather and run into a group of pretty smelling day hikers. The looks on their faces will let you know that they have little doubt that you are crazy. That's when you will know the ultimate truth. What they think doesn't matter. Do what you feel is right for you.

TheYoungOne
01-15-2011, 21:33
I mention this in a previous thead about the age of thru hikers. I'm 40 with a wife and kids, I will probably never thru hike, unless I stay healthy and wait until the kids are out of college and I'm retired. I felt those years in my late teen and early twenties, before I met my wife was wasted.

You have no wife, no kids, and you don't have a job. You have nothing tying you down. Also everyone I know right now who is unemployed is having a TOUGH time finding a job.

If you have the money and the equipment to do it, just do it. Like Carbo said, Its better then sitting at home, with no job, draining youre nest egg, drinking and watching TV come July or August and saying, " I wish I went"

TheYoungOne
01-15-2011, 21:39
Also, who is to say you cannot still do school then do the AT. You can either start late , after the Semester is over, or talk to your teachers and ask if you can leave early.

davenc
01-15-2011, 23:58
youve all given me lots to ponder.

I like the vibe from all of you. Honest but supportive. After thinking about the responses I have a tentative plan.

1. Enjoy this semester at college(as it's the first time I've been in school in 15 years)
2. Work as much as possible and begin saving money for the thru hike.
3. Start hiking and backpacking on a local and state level.
4. Begin investing in equipment.
5.Move to the Asheville NC area after school is out in May this year. I have been longing for the Mts most of my life. After spending a week in Valle Crucis NC this past september I knew it was time for me to make the move.
6. Keep reading this site for advice and start making real contacts with other hikers.

:D:D:D

Roland
01-16-2011, 09:09
youve all given me lots to ponder.

I like the vibe from all of you. Honest but supportive. After thinking about the responses I have a tentative plan.

1. Enjoy this semester at college(as it's the first time I've been in school in 15 years)
2. Work as much as possible and begin saving money for the thru hike.
3. Start hiking and backpacking on a local and state level.
4. Begin investing in equipment.
5.Move to the Asheville NC area after school is out in May this year. I have been longing for the Mts most of my life. After spending a week in Valle Crucis NC this past september I knew it was time for me to make the move.
6. Keep reading this site for advice and start making real contacts with other hikers.

:D:D:D

A reasonable plan, grounded in reality. Doable.

Congratulations.

Old Hiker
01-16-2011, 09:18
What if you turn out to be the only sane person there? You have a plan - try it out. If it doesn't work the first time, re-think it and try again.

Wait......... wild potatoes???

hikerboy57
01-16-2011, 11:48
What if you turn out to be the only sane person there? You have a plan - try it out. If it doesn't work the first time, re-think it and try again.

Wait......... wild potatoes???
read "Into the Wild"

gillbilly
01-16-2011, 13:30
define crazy................life is 2 short....nothin left to do but smile,smile,SMILE.....mile per mile.:sun

Penn-J
01-17-2011, 13:24
I would suggest reading as much Thoreau, John Muir, Ed Abby, Colin Fletcher etc.. as possible! :sun

davenc
01-17-2011, 23:00
I would suggest reading as much Thoreau, John Muir, Ed Abby, Colin Fletcher etc.. as possible! :sun

Thanks... Im really excited for those of you hiking the AT this year. I was out walking today at the local park and there was virtually noone there due to the recent ice...supposedly the trails were all closed due to the ice..even though there really wasnt any. Anyway was out walking and my inner voice was just like "what are you waiting for"? And I almost answered back with 'what AM I waiting for"? What is it thats stopping me? What am I so afraid of? I don't want to be 60 and wondering what it would have been like if I had done a,b,c...etc...
I dont know where things are headed for me. but I just feel like once I put some action behind all of my talk this ball is going to start rolling at crazy speed.!! It is exciting and scary all in the same!. :banana

davenc
01-17-2011, 23:03
btw..off topic but if you get the cable channel called RFDTV..( I have dish network) check out the show called R5Sons...its pretty cool..about a family that has 5 sons and run a family resort up in Alaska..pretty cool.

Delta-Dawn
01-17-2011, 23:42
Thanks... Im really excited for those of you hiking the AT this year. I was out walking today at the local park and there was virtually noone there due to the recent ice...supposedly the trails were all closed due to the ice..even though there really wasnt any. Anyway was out walking and my inner voice was just like "what are you waiting for"? And I almost answered back with 'what AM I waiting for"? What is it thats stopping me? What am I so afraid of? I don't want to be 60 and wondering what it would have been like if I had done a,b,c...etc...
I dont know where things are headed for me. but I just feel like once I put some action behind all of my talk this ball is going to start rolling at crazy speed.!! It is exciting and scary all in the same!. :banana

Listen to that inner voice. If it is true and correct, doors will fly open for you. I heard the voice last summer and the path just keeps opening up and getting clearer and clearer, at amazing speed! It just lets me know my SOBO this year is the right thing for my daughter and I at this time in our life. Good luck to whatever you decide, maybe we'll see each other out there. :o

davenc
01-18-2011, 00:00
Listen to that inner voice. If it is true and correct, doors will fly open for you. I heard the voice last summer and the path just keeps opening up and getting clearer and clearer, at amazing speed! It just lets me know my SOBO this year is the right thing for my daughter and I at this time in our life. Good luck to whatever you decide, maybe we'll see each other out there. :o

Thanks, by SOBO you mean SOuth BOund hike? If so I have been thinking that when I hike I would prefer SOBO as well. Living in NC it just seems like mentally it would be better to hike south as I would be thinking I was hiking home in a sense? just a thought. Also I could start later in the year maybe? When do most SOBO hikers start?

davenc
01-18-2011, 00:02

btw...you and your daughter have the time of your lives!!

Delta-Dawn
01-18-2011, 00:23
Thanks, by SOBO you mean SOuth BOund hike? If so I have been thinking that when I hike I would prefer SOBO as well. Living in NC it just seems like mentally it would be better to hike south as I would be thinking I was hiking home in a sense? just a thought. Also I could start later in the year maybe? When do most SOBO hikers start?

Yes, SOuth BOund and you can start later. We are starting in July. Driving up from GA, we're doing the 4th of July in Boston and then a day or two with the family in ME before we get to Baxter. I'm thinking we summit Katahdin on the 7th, because I like odd numbers better than even and 7 is my lucky number. I know, silly, but it is what it is. :rolleyes: When we come down we'll have one last night with the family and then we are off on our own.

I like the thought of walking towards home, not away from it. I also want to see the north in the summer. I'm a southern girl, I know all about spring and summer down here, rather do it up there and take our time. I don't want to worry about having to be there by a certain time, because I am hiking with a child. I would rather we meander and enjoy it if we want. Actual see what we want to see instead of obsessing about Oct. 1. By the time we get to TN, my family and friends will slack pack us down to the GA line (mostly because we've done the GSM and will have done them again by the time we start in July so we may skip entirely because of the dog-I haven't decided entirely but if I ever need to cut out miles it will be through here). I do not want to slack through GA though, I want to walk every single step to the Amicalola Lodge. :o

Delta-Dawn
01-18-2011, 00:25
btw...you and your daughter have the time of your lives!!

Thank you!! And you will, too! :)

Firefighter503
01-18-2011, 21:34
Read this: http://skwc.com/exile/Hail-nf.html

davenc
01-27-2011, 20:17
So I have decided to make 2012 the year. I took my mom out to dinner this evening and told her the news. I told her I didn't have all the details ironed out, but that I felt like it was something I needed to do.
About 5 minutes later she asked me if I was "afraid the mountains were going somewhere".... basically saying why do I feel like I need to do it now...
I will not get into the sordid details of my family life, we all have our stories, but is this the type of support I can expect from people? I even told my "best friend" and shes just kinda like whatever.
I have been making so many changes in my life over the past 4 months and I am beginning to feel like an alien walking this earth. if I dont physically connect with people that feel like me and think similar to me I'm gonna lose it. ugghhh!!!!

takethisbread
01-27-2011, 20:44
Not to be a stick in the mud or anything but once you start hiking this romanticism will quickly wear off. It's a LOT of work.

I really like your idea of a few section hikes before taking the plunge - that's pretty wise.

So true.

Planning and thinking about it is maybe the best part.,by the time you hit Franklin you know it's going to be a battle. a major 5 day section hike would certainly give you an idea of what you might be in for. Not really but it'd help.

It's like a marriage. It's romantic at the beginning, but after time, it's sexless drudgery, and you are just trying to get through it.

TheChop
01-27-2011, 20:46
So I have decided to make 2012 the year. I took my mom out to dinner this evening and told her the news. I told her I didn't have all the details ironed out, but that I felt like it was something I needed to do.
About 5 minutes later she asked me if I was "afraid the mountains were going somewhere".... basically saying why do I feel like I need to do it now...

Maybe your mom will come around. Maybe if you identified with Into the Wild a lot they won't.

Either way you're doing this for yourself and no one else and when you're out there cold and hungry and alone the only person you really have is yourself no matter how many cheerleaders you have back home.

Also once you thru hike or even section hike a little you'll realize Chris McCandless was a dumb ass. I just watched the movie this afternoon actually.

hobbs
01-27-2011, 21:25
I will not get into the sordid details of my family life, we all have our stories, but is this the type of support I can expect from people? I even told my "best friend" and shes just kinda like whatever.
I have been making so many changes in my life over the past 4 months and I am beginning to feel like an alien walking this earth. if I dont physically connect with people that feel like me and think similar to me I'm gonna lose it. ugghhh!!!!
Let me ask you this...I see your 33 so how did you just start school or are you a returning student after a long break? What I am getting at is your friend and family may see it as you putting off what they feel you should finish for you!!! Thats what I am getting at...I also know what it is like to start and stop and finish....YUP happened to me but the goverment helped in the stop part...But I do think hiking even section this summer break would do you good and look into an area club or start one on campus..You want to keep the sanity? Do something positive like you figure that is physical like the hiking....I ran. rock climbed and hiked and man was it refreshing and still is....

davenc
01-27-2011, 21:46
Was in a very unhappy job that I had been at for about 10 years. Decided to leave and go back to school. I'm basically changing everything about my life. I am even considering moving to an eco-village or intentional community(that is a whole other issue). Walking the trail has been on my mind since last Jan or so.
Like I told my mom and best friend I dont have all the details, but I know I have to move forward with what my gut tells me to do.

hobbs
01-27-2011, 21:58
Was in a very unhappy job that I had been at for about 10 years. Decided to leave and go back to school. I'm basically changing everything about my life. I am even considering moving to an eco-village or intentional community(that is a whole other issue). Walking the trail has been on my mind since last Jan or so.
Like I told my mom and best friend I dont have all the details, but I know I have to move forward with what my gut tells me to do.
Ok I understand...I have a sister that doesn't out of all my siblings but she is the Marterialistic type anyway....My answer was dont let the door hit you on the way out and my phone is disconnected.....Now dont do that with your mom and friend tho..LOL But I think I understand..i hope you do what you feel is best for you..But do start hiking even on your own.Low miles even to break the cycle of boredum and being overwhelmed..

88BlueGT
04-07-2011, 13:55
I have gotten the same response from MANY people when I told them that I wanted to do a thru-hike. Its funny how even your biggest supporters (friends, family, gf, bf, whatever) all turn their back when you mention going hiking for 5 months. I literally got the same response from my father (who was an avid hiker when he was my age), 'do you think the mountains are going to grow legs and run away'. The answer is no but if I don't do it I just have a feeling I'll never get the chance to for another 30yrs (you know, after schools done, after kids are grown, mortgage is paid bla bla bla).

I'm 23yrs old and in the middle of school and just started a new job (pretty good job too) but its just too bland. I try and get out on the weekends to go hiking but believe me, it doesn't help, only adds to the itch. That worst part is always waking up in the morning on that last day, looking north down the trail, and look south... deciding which way the car is and which way you REALLY want to go. I always tell myself... one day I won't have to backstep the trail! I can just GO!GO!GO!

Sorry for my rambling, anyway, moral of the story, its obviously very nice to have the support back home but if you cannot find the support within yourself you will never make it through a whole thru, like posted above, when your hungry, wet and cold laying in your tent by youself, your the only one who can perk yourself up.

skooch
04-07-2011, 20:07
People are afraid to try so they don't know how to respond to someone going WAY out of their comfort zone. Don't expect cheerleaders just set the wheels in motion and expect the best. Tell the world you are confident you can do it and smile :)

harryfred
04-08-2011, 21:00
That's how it starts. You just go for a little walk. Next thing you know your sitting in the dirt eating instant mashed potatoes and talking to chipmunks. You may not be crazy yet but your headed in the right direction.

88BlueGT
04-12-2011, 16:44
^^ lmfao ^^

Rockhound
04-12-2011, 16:49
Yes you are crazy. Welcome to the club. Be careful. Once you get out there you might not want to return to the "real world". On the plus side you may find you will not have to renew than Prozac perscription.

Rockhound
04-12-2011, 16:51
great. another hippie.

JAK
04-12-2011, 16:51
I keep trying to sit down and talk to the chipmunks and squirrels but so far they just keep brushing me off and laugh and make jokes about me. Just gotta keep trying I guess.

88BlueGT
04-12-2011, 19:34
Keep trying, they'll come around eventually

DapperD
04-12-2011, 20:28

Can any of you relate to my babbling? If so let me know if I just need to up my prozac...lol...or if you think Im not really crazy at all. Thanks!!You will have to at least spend some time and money assembling the most important and necessary items of gear you will need. Once you do that try going out for a few days close to home and see how you like being out there. It won't take too long to realize wether you will crave more at the end of those few days or wether you won't.

weary
04-12-2011, 20:42
Just go. Not with dreams of a thru hike, but just to get out in the woods and mountains to see what happens. It doesn't matter where you start. If you have the gear start at Amicalola in the next few days. Coming up is the most interesting time for a spring time hike in the south.

Otherwise start at Waynsboro, or Harpers Ferry, or Maine. It's all great. Just keep in mind that the trail is not for everyone. A decision that it's not for you is not a failure. But just a signal to try something else.

mad4scrapping
04-12-2011, 21:07
Listen to Weary. He's right about this.

Rockhound
04-12-2011, 21:10
Listen to Weary. He's right about this.
With a post short enough to read in one sitting too:rolleyes:

StormBird
04-12-2011, 21:27

I feel very unprepared because basically I am. Would doing maybe a section of the trail this summer be a smart thing? I live in NC so getting to the trail is just a few hours. I almost feel like not doing something is much more dangerous then doing it.

I totally feel ya man! I felt/feel the same way before I started trail and after I finished it whenever I get back to the "main stream life". I say go for it! If not the AT, some other wild adventure that is going to shake up your life. As a really good trail friend of mine always says, "you only have so much time to sell." Go spend it doing something you love that makes you feel alive!

DapperD
04-12-2011, 21:36
I feel very unprepared because basically I am. Would doing maybe a section of the trail this summer be a smart thing? I live in NC so getting to the trail is just a few hours. I almost feel like not doing something is much more dangerous then doing it.

Otherwise start at Waynsboro, or Harpers Ferry, or Maine. It's all great. Just keep in mind that the trail is not for everyone. A decision that it's not for you is not a failure. But just a signal to try something else.This is true. However suggesting the OP travel up to the great state of Maine all the way from North Carolina to try backpacking for the first time only to find out he doesn't enjoy what he is doing, and then have to turn around and travel back home to me is not the best advice. He clearly states he lives in North Carolina and that "I feel very unprepared because basically I am". He also states that getting to the trail in North Carolina would only take a "few hours". I think the overall best advice would be that he stays locally until he decides wether backpacking and thru-hiking is really indeed for him. Just my 2cents worth:)

weary
04-13-2011, 11:08
This is true. However suggesting the OP travel up to the great state of Maine all the way from North Carolina to try backpacking for the first time only to find out he doesn't enjoy what he is doing, and then have to turn around and travel back home to me is not the best advice. He clearly states he lives in North Carolina and that "I feel very unprepared because basically I am". He also states that getting to the trail in North Carolina would only take a "few hours". I think the overall best advice would be that he stays locally until he decides wether backpacking and thru-hiking is really indeed for him. Just my 2cents worth:)
Probably I wasn't wise to put Maine on the list. Maine hiking is so spectacular compared with the rest of the trail, that he might get the wrong impression.

skooch
04-13-2011, 11:36
Just go. Not with dreams of a thru hike, but just to get out in the woods and mountains to see what happens. It doesn't matter where you start. If you have the gear start at Amicalola in the next few days. Coming up is the most interesting time for a spring time hike in the south.

Otherwise start at Waynsboro, or Harpers Ferry, or Maine. It's all great. Just keep in mind that the trail is not for everyone. A decision that it's not for you is not a failure. But just a signal to try something else.

thanks. that was so nice and encouraging for all of us taking our first AT hike:sun

msikora4
04-13-2011, 11:52
This is a great opportunity and you certainly have any number of supporters here.

I quit my job a year ago after realizing that it was going nowhere (possibly killing me!) and soon after had an invite to hike 40 miles of the AT in Maine. I had not backpacked since 1979, am way out of shape, and had no clue what I was getting into. It was the most amazing thing I have ever done.

I can not stop thinking about it, gathering equipment, and planning the next trip. They all think I am crazy! Oh well...I am getting in shape, working at what I want when I want and enjoying life much more.

Take a shot on a portion of the trail. As other have said...you may just keep on going!

jelina
07-16-2011, 05:48
I feel very unprepared because basically I am. Would doing maybe a section of the trail this summer be a smart thing? I live in NC so getting to the trail is just a few hours. I almost feel like not doing something is much more dangerous then doing it. Sounds crazy but it's how I feel. You've got nothing to tie you down. Get to Springer this spring. Start hiking north. Think of the first 30 miles as a section hike. Then when you get to Neels Gap, let them do a pack shakedown with you. You'll be ready to go the rest of the way.

Boo
07-17-2011, 02:41
I'm packed, have the time and desire/need to hike on the AT for the first time and to hike overnights solo for the first time. But I do keep thinking about being solo. Not so much the day hiking but the end of the physical hiking. I've read on WB enough to understand I'll be fine and safe but I think it may be stopping me from just getting in the car and driving to Amicalola Falls. I will do this and I have the time now but reading the encouragement on the various threads here is helpful.

Jim Adams
07-17-2011, 10:02
You have no holds to keep you back...give it a try. One way or another...it will change your life.

geek

Boo
07-17-2011, 15:12
I know that doing this hike solo is the right thing for me. One big part of this hike I'm wanting to accomplish is also the part I'm most worried about. "Always do what you are afraid to do." Ralph Waldo Emerson This is want I keep telling myself.

harryfred
07-17-2011, 23:49
Yep, That's how it starts. You take a little walk, next thing you know you are sitting in the dirt eating instant mashed potatoes talking to chipmonks:eek:

harryfred
07-18-2011, 00:02
Could not say better. take some day hikes. Get a pack, bag, tent and a few other odds and ends search the forums and go cheap. Just go, doesn't even have to be the AT lots of good trails out there. Just go and enjoy. You won't find anything out there but awe and wonder, but you will be amazed what you will loose.

double d
07-18-2011, 00:03
I haven't thru-hiked, but I do hike when I can (just had a great two week hike on the Long Trail in Vermont) and all I think that hiking 2170 miles will give you alot of time to think through your life, what it means to you, what you want to see, do and dedicate yourself to others/career/community/lifes passions, etc. No one gets out alive and hiking makes you feel alive (even it when it can get tough)!

yingxuy
01-10-2012, 23:20
Springer has been this spring. Start hiking north. Plus one as the first 30 miles. Then when you Neels gap to blackmail them with your package. You're ready to rest the way.

Wise Old Owl
01-10-2012, 23:21
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugKW4b8NHEI

Slo-go'en
01-10-2012, 23:46
I'm not sure what the above video has to do with this thread, but it was entertaining!

BTW, it seems unlikely the OP ever did get on the trail, Guess thru-hiking wasn't something he had to do after all...

Wise Old Owl
01-10-2012, 23:51
You kind of got it it's crazy!

Born to roam
01-11-2012, 03:14
R U CRAZY. I hope so,we are the only sane one's left.RE;Waylon Jennings,Patsy Cline,Narls Barkley[sic] .See also M&M CRAZY INSANE OR INSANE CRAZY.I know it's Emenim but I'm crazy.Wellcome Brother,you are with like minded folks. Enjoy your hike,hope to see you on the trail. I plan on leaving Springer 3/9/12.Happy Trails and God Bless.

Born to roam
01-11-2012, 03:30
R U CRAZY. I hope so,we are the only sane one's left.RE;Waylon Jennings,Patsy Cline,Narls Barkley[sic] .See also M&M CRAZY INSANE OR INSANE CRAZY.I know it's Emenim but I'm crazy.Wellcome Brother,you are with like minded folks. Enjoy your hike,hope to see you on the trail. I plan on leaving Springer 3/9/12.Happy Trails and God Bless.