PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Blanket

Snake Farm
01-14-2011, 18:49
I am going to be bringing along a cheapo Wal Mart emergency blanket on my thru hike, just in case it gets dangerously cold at night. Anyone else bringing one of these along? Also, anyone know the weight on these? I cant see them weighing more than 4oz.

Apologies in advance to the hikers that have to sleep next to this loud s.o.b. in cold weather! haha

Fog Horn
01-14-2011, 18:58
I plan on bringing one that is a very bright color. That way my just in case blanket works two ways, if its too cold it might keep me alive, and if I fall down a cliff it can signal where I'm at.

I won't be using it as a primary sleep system though.

Boothill
01-14-2011, 19:02
you might want to think about one of these, much less noisy than the cheap ones, better quality and still not very much more $

http://www.afminc.com/adventure.asp

boot

Luddite
01-14-2011, 19:20
Those things are noisy and don't breath.

Kerosene
01-14-2011, 19:21
If it truly gets "dangerously cold", then wear additional dry clothing to bed, or at least until you start to de-loft your bag.

Most emergency blankets only reflect heat back, and they weigh more than 4 ounces also. Some of the newer, more expensive ones would be a better bet in my opinion.

Storm
01-14-2011, 19:34
I carry a cheap emergency blanket as part of a kit when I'm out on day hikes and don't have all my gear. If I'm on an overnight or longer hike hopefully I'll have my sleep system tuned in or maybe I shouldn't be out there.

Namaste
01-14-2011, 19:36
I was on a winter trip, frigid temps, struggling for breath as I was climbing uphill. Someone gave me brandy to drink and wrapped me in an emergency blanket. No one slept all night because of the noisy crinkly squishy sound of the blanket. Turns out I was having a full-blown asthma attack (which I didn't know I had). That was about 30 yrs. ago and technology hasn't changed a bit with those things.....they are still very noisy. Personally I never carry one with me unless I'm leading a trip that requires me to carry a 10 lb. first aid kit which always includes one.

TheChop
01-14-2011, 19:48
I used to carry a little kit in my pants pocket that had a compass, emergency blanket, etc. in it. One of those little survival kits. The idea being that I would have something to help me if I lost my pack somehow.

Carrying an emergency blanket in your backpack would be pretty foolish I believe.

Blissful
01-14-2011, 19:54
Better off with a good sleeping bag and a silk liner.

JaxHiker
01-14-2011, 19:58
Also, anyone know the weight on these? I cant see them weighing more than 4oz.
Mine weighs 1.9 oz. I use it as a vapor barrier with my hammock.

Tinker
01-14-2011, 20:59
Those things are noisy and don't breath.

The best usage for these is inside a sleeping bag or clothing. That way they work as a vapor barrier minimizing convective heat loss by keeping the insulation dry. On the outside of insulation they will allow your body's moisture to dampen the insulation which will actually make you colder as time goes by.
I'm not sure how good the reflective coating is at returning body heat, but I'd opt for a vapor barrier sleeping bag liner (again, you should only wear a very thin layer of clothing inside it) made of silnylon, spinnaker cloth, or cuben fiber) because it's more enclosed and more durable than the cheapo "emergency" blankets.

Tinker
01-14-2011, 21:03
Better off with a good sleeping bag and a silk liner.

Why carry a specialty item for one use only like a bag liner? Why not opt for some nice silk pajamas that you can wear around camp, becoming either the envy, or laughingstock, of your campmates?

Graywolf
01-14-2011, 21:20
There are reasons why these are called SPECIATY BLANKETS, EMERGENCY BLANKETS, ECT. They are for survival. I dont see a problem with having these in your kit. they weigh next to nothing, and can compliment your liner if the temps fall to 10* at night. I say, carry one. I do..

Its not Foolish, it's smart. Send it home when it warms up. Thats it.

Snake Farm
01-14-2011, 21:25
you might want to think about one of these, much less noisy than the cheap ones, better quality and still not very much more $

http://www.afminc.com/adventure.asp

boot

Thanks! I'll look into that.

By the way, I would hopefully never have to use it so I wouldnt be worried about the noise. Just an emergency thing, and the orange signal is a good dual use. But who knows, we'll see when I get all my gear packed and if I have to cut wieght here or there. Guess im just one of those green hikers who wants to load too much emergency and luxury gear haha. Almost positive i'll bring one along though. Anyway, thanks all!

Wise Old Owl
01-14-2011, 21:40
Most of the senior members have talked about the very compact mylar blanket in a old thread. Not to be confused with the better "new" version Boot hill mentions. Some of us have actually used the space age product in the field, including myself. I opened it up on what I thought was a chilly night in the Pocono's 45-50 in the fall. The noise was very bad, I was warm for three hours only to woke up the rest of the night soaking in condensate water or cold sweat. Think cold rain under the blanket. I would rather carry a down jacket than carry those three stupid ounces again. You will not need this product if you have the right layering system.

lori
01-14-2011, 23:18
I have been reading some really detailed and technical sources about hypothermia - one study quoted (by the Royal Air Force) found that there is no real significant difference between the mylar and a plastic sheet. A vapor barrier is a vapor barrier. They are "space" blankets because NASA used them in the vacuum of space where radiation is the most important aspect of heat exchange - we're not in space. We get to deal with convection, conduction, evaporation and all kinds of other factors. So you will get benefit in that the space blanket will protect you from convection heat loss.

Kerosene
01-15-2011, 19:31
So you will get benefit in that the space blanket will protect you from convection heat loss.But only if you wrap it around yourself inside your bag, in which case moisture will build up inside your bag.

I really don't see the point of a space blanket in conjunction with a sleeping bag.

JimM
01-15-2011, 19:55
I've used one as a wind break and a rain tarp a couple of time on short hikes. I was glad I had it along when I needed it.