neo
12-28-2004, 09:16
mine is my own version of oatmeal,i hate instant oatmeal
rolled oats
flax seed
raisons
chopped dates
chopped walnuts
craisins(dried cherry flavored cranberries)
crushed bran flakes
brown sugar
cinnamon
powdered nido whole milk
i love this stuff,i eat it all the time:sun neo

SGT Rock
12-28-2004, 09:18
Grits and coffee.

TDale
12-28-2004, 09:44
Either oatmeal with dried fruit, or grits with something meaty. Glass o' gatorade, coffee. Sometimes trail mix bars.

Rock, have you seen the Stadler's Country Ham Bits in a jar? Like bacon bits, but real, good ham. Great in grits.

Kerosene
12-28-2004, 10:20
When cooking: instant oatmeal with raisins with hot chocolate or Tang.

Grab-n-Go: Cracklin' Oat Bran with dried apricots and water.

Spirit Walker
12-28-2004, 11:07
That sounds like a good oatmeal, if you are out for a short time. If you are buying as you go while on a thruhike, you are restricted to what you can find in the small shops along the way. Usually Nido and craisins aren't available.

I agree, instant oatmeal gets old, and after a while doesn't really fill you up all that much. We usually just eat cold cereal - a dense one like granola or raisin bran - with milk. Then about two hours later we'll eat either a granola bar or poptart. On short trips, or the first week of a long trip, we'll have logan bread for breakfast - very dense and rich.

rocket04
12-28-2004, 11:33
Peaches and cream oatmeal was a personal favorite. Pop-tarts favored when I wanted an early start.

neo
12-28-2004, 11:43
i premix and mail dropp this stuff along with other supplies,buy in bulk and mix at home:sun neo

HikeLite
12-28-2004, 11:43
I eat dry granola cereal for breakfast.

SGT Rock
12-28-2004, 12:07
Rock, have you seen the Stadler's Country Ham Bits in a jar? Like bacon bits, but real, good ham. Great in grits.

I haven't seen that. So far I really like some butter buds and a little bit of Alabama Wildfire habanero hot sauce. Wakes you up like nobody's business!

TakeABreak
12-28-2004, 13:06
The first couple of weeks it was two packets of instant oatmeal, there after if was 3 packs of instant oatmeal. And Usually, one hour after breakfast it was a couple of breakfask bars as a booster.

grrickar
12-28-2004, 13:16
Granola with dried fruit and powdered milk in a ziploc bag. I pour in cold water, zip the bag, shake, then unzip and eat. Works great, tastes good and no messy cleanup or need to use your stove. I do like a warm breakfast in colder temps, so my vote would be grits or oatmeal.

wacocelt
12-28-2004, 16:27
3 packs of Fruits and Creme oatmeal
1 pouch French Vanilla Carnation Instant Breakfast
3-4 oz Granola Cereal with Almond and coconut flakes
1 oz (approximately) squeeze butter and olive oil

Takes awhile to choke it all down, but about 30-45 minutes after eating all of that you WILL have a good start to your day.

Peaks
12-28-2004, 17:32
Is there a thru hiker among the previous posters? While their ideas are all good, most thru-hikers don't seem to put much effort into cooking anything, especially in the morning. From what I saw, most just eat a breakfast bar of some sort and head out. Very few even heat water. And powdered milk is deadful when first mixed.

grrickar
12-28-2004, 18:30
Peaks, not a thru hiker here, just a section hiker.

I agree that powdered milk by itself is not too tasty, but mixed with granola it tastes more like the real thing. I guess from the cinnamon and sugar in the granola. Protein bars for breakfast aren't bad either. We were trying to bag miles on our section hike, so breakfast and lunch were no-cook items: protein bars, granola and milk, tang, kool aid, tuna, jerky, trail mix, candy, etc. Dinner was the only meal we cooked, and usually it was just boiling water for noodles or soup.

Sleepy the Arab
12-28-2004, 18:32
Boiled Squirrel.

Seriously, breakfast was usually 2 breakfast bars (General Mills Milk 'n' Cereal bars, or Quaker Oats oatmeal bars etc.), a chewy granola bar, 2 packets of instant breakfast mixed in a pint shaker of water and a good handfull of dried fruit (usually pineapple, mango or papaya). Oatmeal was reserved for those really cold mornings in the first and last 200 miles, and for trapping more squirrels.

Second breakfast (eaten after 4-5 miles of hiking) was an energy bar of sorts, usually a Pemmican bar from Bear Valley. They were tough to eat after the first week of nonstop consumption; it helps to order a large quantity beforehand from the company to increase motivation. They are also very dense - a weeks worth can weigh up to 2 pounds but this comes in handy should you need to club a small rodent for dinner.

Fiddleback
12-28-2004, 22:32
"And powdered milk is deadful when first mixed."

Nido is better than most -- it's whole milk (I didn't know there was such stuff until last year). After years of dealing with skim milk at home, powdered whole milk doesn't seem so bad to me. Your results may vary :rolleyes:

FB

swamp dawg
12-28-2004, 22:52
I normally eat a cold breakfast so I can get a fast start or a few more minutes in my warm sleeping bag. Before my hike, I mix dry cereal and dry milk in a ziplock and add water on the trail. I find this light and I get all the proper food value.
Life is good on the trail.........Swamp Dawg

java
12-29-2004, 00:44
This summer I always at the cheap Sunbelt brand granola cereal with powered milk for breakfast. I ate a mugful everyday, and one box would last for four breakfasts. I think a box is only about $2.00, so that's a cheap way to go.
On our thru it was usually pop-tarts and Nature Valley Granola bars. Oh, and of course coffee!!

Tim Rich
12-29-2004, 01:02
When I section I usually have two apple/cinnamon or maple/brown sugar instant oatmeal packs with some powdered milk along with it. It's presweetened enough to offset any taste alteration by the milk. I also eat a fruit bar, usually Nutrigrain. After I finish the oatmel, I put a little warm water in my mug and drink my oatmeal remnants, and then make a cup of coffee in the mug from the Folgers coffee bags. The coffee's not the best but it's a conscious choice between taste, space and utility. I sip the coffee as I'm getting packed. I also drink 16 ounces of Cytomax exercise and recovery drink before heading out as well, and another 16 ounces at the end of the day. If I don't cook at breakfast, I eat a couple of Nutrigrain.

Take Care,

Tim

runs247
12-29-2004, 17:26
PB&J and a Power or Harvest Bar

SGT Rock
12-29-2004, 17:54
I've done the coldbreakfast a few times, I just like somecoffeeand some hot food to get moving. I suppose on a really long hike I might mix it up sometimes. But I sure do like the grits and coffee. Now if I could just get a hot ham biscut and some hash browns for breakfast on the trail.

Jeremy
01-21-2005, 16:01
I enjoy mixing grape nuts cereal with either instant oatmeal, or "do it yourself" oatmeal. then throw in some raisins, dried apricot, brown sugar, etc. I enjoy the grape nuts alot, because it adds some crunch to your mushy oatmeal, and a whole lot of carbs and nutrients.:)

Footslogger
01-21-2005, 16:36
I'm a cold breakfast person on the trail, but I don't carry powdered milk so cereal is out of the question unless I want to eat it dry or with water.

During my thru-hike in 2003 I discovered "Quaker Breakfast Squares". Loaded with calories and come in different flavors. Would buy a box of 6 and eat 1 or 2 for breakfast along with some Tang. I like the oatmeal/raison flavor but there are at least 2 other flavors.

Quick, easy and nutritous. Each on is foil wrapped and generate very little trash.

Anyhew ...it worked for me.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Jack Tarlin
01-21-2005, 16:53
Over the years there've been a bunch of folks who found this unusual, but I never eat breakfast on the Trail as I rarely have a big appetite in the morning. (I've even skipped breakfast at Miss Janet's or Keith Shaw's hostels because I haven't been hungry. And skipping breakfast at these places is a really stupid thing to do!)

Sometimes I'll make coffee and have a cigarette or three, but that's it.

Oh, and I usually skip lunch, too; in '03, Mountain Dew thought I was nuts because he'd be eating all day and I generally wouldn't have a thing til dinner.

Different things work for different people.....I don't like a lot of food in my gut before I start hiking; some folks CAN'T hike without a big meal first; some folks will cook dinner and then hike for a few more miles; personally, I can't hike a yard after eating a big evening meal.

As to what I've observed out there, most folks seem to prefer a simple cold breakfast.....fruit if they've got it (this is usually on the first few days out of town or until it's gone); bagels and cheese; pop tarts or granola bars are very popular til people get sick of them. Cream cheese, by the way, travels better than you might think, especially in cooler months. Of the folks who cook, instant oatmeal is very popular, especially the flavored packets from Quaker Oats. Southerners seem to prefer instant grits. Tip: If you're gonna go this route, carrying squeeze butter and brown sugar will go a long way to help make this glop palatable; I think I'll stick to cofee and a smoke. Powdered eggs, by the way, are pretty much uniformly disgusting. But I often will hard-boil some eggs before I leave a town (like in a hostel); they're great at any time of the day and will last easily for several days. If memory serves, they were also a favorite of Earl Shaffer.

Pencil Pusher
01-21-2005, 17:37
Southerners seem to prefer instant grits. Tip: If you're gonna go this route, carrying squeeze butter and brown sugar will go a long way to help make this glop palatable; I think I'll stick to cofee and a smoke. at least ten characters of :D

Tractor
01-21-2005, 18:55
I agree with Tim, oatmeal before coffee. I swish the coffee bags around to dislodge the remnents of the oatmeal making for much easier cleanup. Also like those Nutrigrain bars. I bring some of all flavors and rotate. May experiment with grits next trip too.

As several have mentioned, some mornings I just have something cold but I usually will heat water for coffee no matter what.

hustler
01-21-2005, 23:00
I think a majority of the time I ate pop tarts along with the other thru hikers. I would eat one pack right when I woke up and then eat another after hiking for a few hours. Those cerial bars did nothing for me, they weren't filling and were expensive. Sometimes I would buy granola or grapenuts and mix cold hot chocolate in for milk. It tasted fairly good.

peter_pan
01-21-2005, 23:02
powder milk is heavy.... two cups of coffee and a couple handfulls of dry cerial....90 minutes of hiking and then second breakfast of a snickers or what ever bar in the daily bag looks tempting.

Draggin
01-22-2005, 08:29
It is tough to beat the calories you get from two frosted poptarts with peanut butter spead on them, oh yeah and don't forget the coffee! Draggin

Lone Wolf
01-22-2005, 08:32
The most UNcommon breakfast food but very common for me is bacon & eggs. For the first 3 days out of town it's what I have for breakfast.

wacocelt
01-22-2005, 08:46
Dangit LW, everytime you mention your camp cooking habits I can feel my pack weight rising incrementally.

Lone Wolf
01-22-2005, 08:48
That's right brother. Get rid of that Go-Lite weenie mentality. :)

wacocelt
01-22-2005, 08:55
Now that you have me buying all new gear LW, answer my danged PM's!

Effin hippy!

Poptarts are the most common breakfast food on the trail, but I don't touch em while I hike. I may eat a box at a time on town days, but not while hiking.

Cookerhiker
02-28-2005, 17:36
mine is my own version of oatmeal,i hate instant oatmeal
rolled oats
flax seed
raisons
chopped dates
chopped walnuts
craisins(dried cherry flavored cranberries)
crushed bran flakes
brown sugar
cinnamon
powdered nido whole milk
i love this stuff,i eat it all the time:sun neo
Neo, my breakfast is very similar to your's except I don't include the dried fruits and nuts - I have plenty of them in my trail mix/gorp. My only additional breakfast ingredient for my oatmeal mix is cracked wheat and I vary the spice - sometimes using clove, ginger, or allspice.

I'm not a thru-hiker but I've done long-distance section hikes over 100 miles and thus used maildrops. Pre-mixing the breakfast at home and mailing it takes time but it's worth it to me for a good breakfast.

superman
02-28-2005, 20:35
I do not make super meals on the trail...any meal on any trail. I overdosed on oatmeal early on the AT. I've OD'd on most trail foods. It's come down to buying regular boxes of semi-healthy cold cereals. I get rid of the box and pack the bag of cereal. I don't care if it gets crushed. I fill my pan half way with water and add powered white stuff (doesn't matter what it is). I'm lactose intolerant so I try to avoid real dairy stuff. When Pat and I hike together she cooks and I fiddle with the tent.

Jack Tarlin
02-28-2005, 20:51
Black coffee and two Camels.

It seems to be working so far.

Skyline
02-28-2005, 20:53
Eat cold for breakfast.

I carry half dozen hard boiled eggs for breakfast and/or snacks, with some seasonings to dip them in to spice it up. Supplemented at breakfast by varieties of breakfast and energy bars or maybe some Gu.

ocourse
03-05-2005, 21:09
Craisins or raisins, and walnuts or sunflower seeds added to 1 cup whole oats. And coffee. Then another cup :jump

TDale
03-05-2005, 22:32
Well, I got a new favorite last trip out. Two bags of Quaker butter flavored instant grits with a healthy splash of good olive oil. I gotta quit eatin' out of baggies, tho'...my tongue ain't long enough to get all that out of the corners. And y'now, Irish coffee ain't a bad way to start your last, know-the-walk-home-is-short day of a trip.

RagingHampster
03-06-2005, 00:36
I like "Strawberries & Cream" Cream of Wheat. The apple/cinnamon variety is also good. I like yogurt covered raisins for some reason in the morning too. If its cold out, I'll also have a liter of simple hot water. Sucking down hot water when you're cold does wonders to get you going.

Panama Red
03-06-2005, 01:37
i like bagels and coffee because bagels are indestructable and since i use a beer can stove i always put a little extra fuel in it to make sure the coffe perks, when the coffe is done i prop the bagel up with tent stakes and toast with the remaining fuel

peter2003
04-28-2005, 16:06
For me I had the following"

Pop tarts until I got sick of them
Oatmeal at the start or when very cold
Breakfast bars
Bagles and cream cheese

However the breakfast and other meals in town were what kept me going. If possible I would try and have 3-4 meals during each town stop. Often I would leave town mid day to allow a good breakfast and lunch (you could still get at least 10 miles in) . I was one of the hikers who liked to eat breakfast on the run or after you have had a chance to warm up.

TOW
04-28-2005, 17:15
a dip or two of copenhagen
seven or eight cigarettes
seven or eight cups of mud
some ramen noodles and cheesy grits mixed together
and a "partridge in a pair tree"

now that's an eye opener!

Ridge
04-29-2005, 02:14
Here is a recipe my hubby has used, he of course fixes the stuff then carry's to the trail and adds the Nido. Will not spoil. I'm still trying to find his secret "PowerBar" recipe. I find it, it will no longer be a secret.

Cruising Granola: In a large bowl, mix 4 cups regular or quick-cooking oats, 1 cup coconut (freshly grated is best), 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, 1/3 cup oil, 1/3 cup pancake syrup or maple syrup and ¼ can of sweetened condensed Milk. Spread on a cookie sheet and bake at 375 for 10 minutes. Stir; bake another 5 minutes. Stir; repeat twice more or until light golden brown. Cool and store airtight.

To serve: Top with sliced banana or grated apple, then spoon on *Nido powder and chilled water. It takes a bit of stirring, but it makes great cereal.

*Nido (made by nestle) is hard to find in stores. Need to go to a Mexican Grocery store. Its supposed to be used as instant baby formula. You can get it from the web but I think its pricey. This stuff is really good (rich and creamy). My hubby calls the stuff freeze-dried breast milk..yea he wishs.

Moxie00
04-30-2005, 15:53
I like the fruit and cream instant oatmeal, either Quaker or store brand, Open two packets, pour one into the other, add cold water. (it works fine and water from my nalgene isn't that cold), stir and eat, Hit the trail early as breakfast takes 5 minutes. Have a bagel loaded with peanut butter ready for your first break 3 or four hours later- a Snickers bar and a handful or two of gorp on your next break. That takes care of breakfast and lunch. Walk til almost dark and have a hot supper. (I only lost 55 pounds on my thru but I was healthy as a horse on that diet)
:banana

badinfluence
08-30-2005, 13:22
I had to laugh at Tim Rich, I have only been able to section hike - but almost always have Maple and Brown Sugar Instant Oatmeal.

For a quick switch, I sometimes use dehydrated eggs and bacon - but that is a rarity - the oatmeal is usually what I eat.

3 packs of them goes a long way.

Jonathan

Seeker
08-30-2005, 14:01
i alternate instant oatmeal and poptarts on alternate days, with a cup of cocoa every day... i wake up real slow, and always cold, even in 'hot weather'... takes a while to 'warm up'... cocoa helps...

Jaybird
08-30-2005, 14:34
POP-TART SANDWICH
&
DOUBLE-STRENGTH COFFEE (makes even STARBUCKS taste weak!) :D

TrailSweeper
08-30-2005, 14:43
Try This
2 pkgs instant cheese grits
1 pkg cream of chicken cup of soup
add hot water until desired consistancy is reached

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-30-2005, 22:02
How anyone tried powdered eggs on the trail? I'm considering ordering some along with powdered cheese. I would think that by adding bacon TVP one could have something similar to an omelet. I like a protein packed breakfast.

Sgt Rock, dehydrated hash browns are available. I was planning to take those along as well for the carbs.

neo
08-30-2005, 22:32
How anyone tried powdered eggs on the trail? I'm considering ordering some along with powdered cheese. I would think that by adding bacon TVP one could have something similar to an omelet. I like a protein packed breakfast.

Sgt Rock, dehydrated hash browns are available. I was planning to take those along as well for the carbs.

i hate powered eggs,they suck:cool: neo

Ridge
08-30-2005, 23:48
I know my husband likes any of the following in about any combonation: quick oatmeal any flavor, grits w/butter/cheese/meat/garlic/habenero sause, eggs-anyway but raw, honey, peanut butter, coffee, juice, instant milk, poptarts, any kind of fruit in anyway. BUT the big favorite is homemade powerbar cakes and coffee. He puts honey or peanut butter on them if available. Here's the recipe:

1/2 c. salted nuts, chop if needed, Pecans are really good and has lots of cals
1/2 cup raisins, craisins or other dried fruit, also chop if needed
1/2 c roasted sunflower seed kernels
2 cups raw oatmeal, quick or old fashioned
2 cups toasted rice cereal, such as Rice Crispies
1/2 cup peanut butter, crunchy or creamy
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla

1. In a large bowl, mix together the nuts, raisins, sunflower seed
kernels, oatmeal and toasted rice cereal. Set aside.

2. In a medium microwaveable bowl, combine the peanut butter, brown
sugar, and corn syrup. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Add vanilla and
stir until blended.

3. Pour the peanut butter mixture over the dry ingredients and stir
until coated.

4. Spoon it into an oiled 9x 13 pan. Press down firmly. (It helps to
coat your fingers with margarine, oil or cooking spray.)

5. Let stand for an hour to harden, then cut into 16 bars.

Calories per bar: 225
30 grams Carbohydrate
6 grams Protein
9 grams Fat

DMA, 2000
08-31-2005, 00:02
I ate like Moxie. 2-3 packs of cold oatmeal with just enough water to get them wet. I found grits too tasteless as a main course and poptarts too fragile.

I rarely had the patience or energy for cooking in the morning.

Seeker
08-31-2005, 00:45
funny how different people are... my morning sluggishness is exactly why i almost HAVE to cook something warm for breakfast every morning... and, unlike an earlier poster, i love dehydrated eggs... (yeah, they taste a little weird, but then i like diet coke for it's taste too.) don't like to carry and clean up a frying pan though, so i stick with oatmeal and cocoa...

Ramble~On
08-31-2005, 05:57
:sun Wake up and start the water for coffee. As I drink the coffee and pack up
I'm waiting on the blueberry muffins or bisquits. Fresh baked Chocolate Chip Cookie muffins in the morning aren't a bad way to start the day either.
How ? Reynolds Oven bags, "Martha White" (just add water) or "Bisquit Complete" mix. I cut the instruction water by 25%. Pour the mix into the oven bag, add the water and squeeze it around in the bag until it's a dough.
Only catch is you need a "Bakepacker" grid inside your cooking pot. I use the Ultra Light Bakepacker which weighs in just under four ounces.
Bisquick mixes and Martha White muffin mixes are in most grocery stores in the baking aisle and sell for about $1.00 a pack. Some require milk so I use powdered.
Some of my favorite for breakfast are
Blueberry Cheesecake muffins
Strawberry muffins
Cinnamon Swirl Bisquits
Cotton Pickin' Cornbread
for more about the "bakepacker" check out www.Bakepacker.com (http://www.Bakepacker.com)
Since everything is cooked inside the bag there's never anything to clean.
Lipton Dinners, Mac and Cheese...whatever you want.
If you try one of these outdoor Culinary whizzbangs be sure to pratice at home. I've amazed more than a few people at night when I produce a perfect chocolate cake in the middle of nowhere. A handful of Chocolate morsels melt on top of the cake and become icing.
The Bakepacker has pretty much limitless options as to what you can cook in it.

Heater
08-31-2005, 07:12
for more about the "bakepacker" check out www.Bakepacker.com (http://www.bakepacker.com/)
Since everything is cooked inside the bag there's never anything to clean.
Lipton Dinners, Mac and Cheese...whatever you want.
If you try one of these outdoor Culinary whizzbangs be sure to pratice at home.
Now that is cool! I'm gettin' one! :clap

Thanks SpiritWind...

Tin Man
08-31-2005, 07:22
I have found some breakfast cereal bars that go well with my fresh coffee. I get warm quick without having to fuss over cooking a hot meal.

Newb
08-31-2005, 07:24
I tend to cannibalize a fellow hiker first thing in the morning. It's a compulsion.

the goat
08-31-2005, 07:43
nature valley granola, nutella & peanut butter

Heater
08-31-2005, 07:48
I tend to cannibalize a fellow hiker first thing in the morning. It's a compulsion.
So, if someone were to say, "eat me"... you would do it? :D