PDA

View Full Version : Penny Ultralight Stove

Spider
01-15-2011, 14:47
Anyone have any experience with this model?

http://www.jureystudio.com/pennystove/

FatherTime09
01-15-2011, 19:36
I built the same sort of thing, a little more primitive in nature, for my hike in 2009. I used it for a month and a half with no problems. Mine was just two can bottoms pressed together, holes punched, with a pretty crappy wind shield/pot stand made out of aluminum baking pan. If you took your time with it, you could easily replicate that one and probably make it more efficient than mine was. Definitely take your time with a sturdy pot stand though, that would be my one complaint.

HeartWalker
01-15-2011, 21:31
Good stove but not very sturdy. I doubt it would last an entire thru. Mine lasted about 10 trips.

QiWiz
01-17-2011, 21:56
Prior to getting my Caldera Cone, this was my favorite alcohol stove. One of only a few models that will boil 4 cups of water at a time. Drink the Heineken, make the stove.

Oogie Boogie
01-18-2011, 12:02
These are a fairly bonehead-proof instructional for making an easy penny stove. Just try to ignore the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj7PIhjPLxA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQl6XS3eGKg&NR

The sealant IS recommended. Not necessary to initial operation, but will make your stove last longer, as the tendency is for the upper and lower half to separate due to uneven expansion during use. I have made several that are short enough to work using a modified cat-food can for a stand. Quite strong, and easy to do.

Oogie Boogie
01-18-2011, 12:03
And BTW, penny stoves work well, but I much prefer wood.

topshelf
01-18-2011, 12:24
I tried to make this model many times and could not get a correct seal in between the top and bottom halves. I ended up switching and making a model where the top fit over the bottom and I got a better seal.

It will take some time and playing with it to get it right. The number and size of the holes you put in your stove will affect the air to fuel mixtures. Expect to play with it in order to get the right combination. You can also buy one premade from someone like zelph

crazystick
01-19-2011, 16:39
Yes, I actually made two this week. I have not done any trips with it yet so I cannot attest to how well it works after extended use. But i have had experience with many other stoves and alky stoves so I can get an idea of how well it works.
First of all, it was alot of fun making the stove. I read and watched all that i could about making it. it was pretty easy to make, my second one came out better than my first. but they both work great.
I suggest instead of drilling the 1/4" hole in the center to drill 3-4 1/16" holes in the center. It preheats pretty well, you can either use a pan underneath or follow their instructons to preheat by just putting a few drops of alcohol ontop of the stove.

I like Redeye had some trouble getting a really good seal around the burner and the cup. in the instructions they make it seem like its hard to put the two halves together, mine went in fairly easy. but I just got some JB Weld and put it around the seam, the jbweld is good to 600 degrees. after I applied that stuff the seal is perfect, and its a very nice working low pressure alky stove.

I plan on using it on my thru this year.

Odd Man Out
01-19-2011, 17:39
I have made some Penney Stoves. Some comments for previous posts.

Had one blow out flaming alcohol when I didn't fill to cover the jets, so follow those instructions.

Priming is often necessary, either with a wick or priming pan. I can't always get the stove to start without it.

A simmer cat stove used with a pot stand will boil 4 cups (the bottom of the pot should be about 1-2 mm above the top of the stove.

Buy good beer and drink it. Use the Heiniken to make carbonade flamande.

heartlandoutdoorsman
01-19-2011, 17:41
Glad I caught this thread b/c I was about to buy that Penny stove.

crazystick
01-19-2011, 20:21
dont buy it, make it with heineken cans. its a good alky stove. has the same flaws as any other alky stove. its a good one, alot of people dont make the "true" penny stove like the one from this site: http://www.jureystudio.com/pennystove/ I believe that design is the best one.