PDA

View Full Version : Newby needs help and encouragement

Hymnsinger
01-15-2011, 17:20
Hi all, just joined, glad to be here. I used to be Woodswalker (or Woodswoman, depending on who you talk to). Now I'm 51, gained 50 lbs in 5 years, work behind a desk and am in absolutely rotten shape. I hurt all over from doing nothing and can't manage more than a flight of stairs without nearly keeling over! And I've never smoked!

I also have the great privilege of practically living in the woods (Near Boone, NC) and only a stones throw from the AT, the Iron Mountain Trail, the Virginia Creeper trail and the Blue Ridge Parkway.

I was a hard core camper, camping for three months at a time, twice! But they were base camps, well stocked and furnished. :D I have never hiked away from a road for days at a time and I want to! I have survival camping skills I've never used!

I want my name back! But I will have to start easy. In my former life I was a barnslave, a professional equine caregiver. 35 years of that tends to cause damage, and not only to the brain!! So I do have joint and back issues. I have one shorter leg, 3/4," and that causes torsion in my hips and knees when I hike. So, vitamin I is my constant companion.

So I need help to get started. It's hard for me to stay motivated when I want to stay in bed on my days off! I need some good advice, some good "round robin" day trails, an EASY (ok, easier) section of the AT to start on, and a LOT of encouragement! (What's the Watauga Lake section like?)

I've really enjoyed reading your posts and articles here and I'm really looking forward to learning and hopefully becoming Woodswalker once again!

Tracey

Tinker
01-15-2011, 17:28
Welcome!
You seem to know what you need to know about yourself and your limitations. Find someone here that's taking a short, easy hike and you're good to go.

As Lone Wolf says, "It's only walking". It doesn't need to be rocket science, though long term hikers usually desire top-shelf gear.

Get a nice, comfortable sleeping pad, a warm sleeping bag, and do an overnighter to start out.

Storm
01-15-2011, 17:30
Wecome to WhiteBlaze. Everyone has to start somewhere. Just take it slow and easy. Getting hurt or over doing in the beginning will stop you in your tracks. A few nice easy walks to start and build from there. If an old fart like me can do it so can you. Good luck.

johnnyblisters
01-15-2011, 17:34
Good for you, getting out there is hard for a lot of folks. My advise, start taking walks around town, gradually build up stamina/confidence, do some day hikes, etc. This is a really rewarding lifestyle physically and mentally, enjoy it!

kayak karl
01-15-2011, 17:37
It's hard for me to stay motivated when I want to stay in bed on my days off!
if you want to stay in bed, stay in bead. if you want to hike, hike.

DapperD
01-15-2011, 20:19
Hi all, just joined, glad to be here. I used to be Woodswalker (or Woodswoman, depending on who you talk to). Now I'm 51, gained 50 lbs in 5 years, work behind a desk and am in absolutely rotten shape. I hurt all over from doing nothing and can't manage more than a flight of stairs without nearly keeling over! And I've never smoked!

I also have the great privilege of practically living in the woods (Near Boone, NC) and only a stones throw from the AT, the Iron Mountain Trail, the Virginia Creeper trail and the Blue Ridge Parkway.

I was a hard core camper, camping for three months at a time, twice! But they were base camps, well stocked and furnished. :D I have never hiked away from a road for days at a time and I want to! I have survival camping skills I've never used!

I want my name back! But I will have to start easy. In my former life I was a barnslave, a professional equine caregiver. 35 years of that tends to cause damage, and not only to the brain!! So I do have joint and back issues. I have one shorter leg, 3/4," and that causes torsion in my hips and knees when I hike. So, vitamin I is my constant companion.

So I need help to get started. It's hard for me to stay motivated when I want to stay in bed on my days off! I need some good advice, some good "round robin" day trails, an EASY (ok, easier) section of the AT to start on, and a LOT of encouragement! (What's the Watauga Lake section like?)

I've really enjoyed reading your posts and articles here and I'm really looking forward to learning and hopefully becoming Woodswalker once again!

TraceyWelcome Tracey! I think what you need to do is first realize that hiking and especially backpacking can be/is a strenuous physical activity. Hiking and backpacking is a wonderful way to enjoy your time and also to enjoy the beauty of the outdoors while at the same time benefitting physically for your efforts by helping one get and stay in shape. From your post it appears you have been physically inactive for quite some time. You state you have gained weight and are physically exhausted after climbing a single flight of stairs. This is not good. I think you need to consider paying a visit to a doctor who can evaluate your current situation. Maybe he/she can suggest an eating plan that can begin to limit your overall caloric intake in order to stop and/or reverse your steadily increasing weight. Also if given the go ahead by your doctor, I would consider beginning a walking program, where maybe you can begin to walk on flat ground, and slowely build up your ability to increase your overall physical challenges gradually, in order for you to not over exert yourself and to limit yourself in order to keep from becoming physically overwhelmed and/or injured, thereby prematurely ending your attempt at reclaiming your health and pursuing the physical sport/pastime of hiking and backpacking that we all love and enjoy.

mweinstone
01-15-2011, 20:49
exodus 4:17

10-K
01-15-2011, 20:57
if you want to stay in bed, stay in bead. if you want to hike, hike.

That's very Zen Karl....

Hymnsinger
01-16-2011, 00:40
exodus 4:17

Now there's some encouragement! And yes, I have a forlorn and lonely staff in the corner, waiting for me.

Thanks everybody for the welcome, advice and encouragement. I think I'm going to like it here!

Tracey

Trailweaver
01-16-2011, 02:34
I absolutely agree that you need to start with your doctor's visit to make sure you won't be a candidate for a heart attack on the trail (very inconvenient, that!). Then start with a lower calorie diet, and start walking (around the neighborhood, short trails, etc.) You could also carry a backpack (daypack) and have some weight in it - maybe start out with 5-10 lbs. Start with small milage and work up.

As you lose weight, add miles and weight to your backpack. When you've lost a little and have gained a few miles in your weekly routine, plan a short weekend out and hike "X" number of miles on a trail with a backpack.

I'm betting you can do it and will be hooked once you've done that. After that, you'll start hiking seriously. If you've done three months of just camping out, you can certainly do this.

Just remember, you didn't gain that 50 lbs. in a week, and it's going to take more than a week to get it off. Start slowly, work at it, and get the support you need. . . from your doctor, your family, your friends, and us here on Whiteblaze. We will be watching for a trip report!

maybe clem
01-16-2011, 04:23
So I do have joint and back issues. I have one shorter leg, 3/4," and that causes torsion in my hips and knees when I hike. A good podiatrist can correct that with custom orthotics.

grayfox
01-16-2011, 09:23
Just want to say Hi and echo all the above advice. Also, if you can find a swimming pool that has lap swimming or adult water aerobics, it would be easy on your body to start exercising in the pool. Also look for an exercise class or weight loss group nearby. These group activities may give you a lot of moral support even though they are not hikers. Try to do a lot of different activities so that you will use all your muscel groups and always have an activity that is easier to do when one part of your body rebels at the thought of exercise.

The equipment has gotten much lighter and with the experience in how to use it already under your belt, you should be able to put together a light weight kit that is easy to shoulder.

Vesteroid
01-16-2011, 10:51
I thought perhaps a perspective from someone who has been there may be an asset.

This time last year, I was an easy 50-60 lbs overweight. I couldnt make a 3 mile hike with 700 feet of gain without huffing and puffing to beat the band.

I decided I wanted to do better for myself and my family. We all decided that each weekend we would schedule hikes on one or both days to go along with our camping (we have a travel trailer).

We just did research on trails that were near where we intended to camp and started working up a little at a time.

So in short here is how I did it and where it got me. I picked up a decent day pack, one that would allow me to carry rain gear, food, water, and a few other safety items. I carried between one and 3 liters depending on hiking distance and temperature. I began by trying to stay under 5 miles and around 500-700 feet of climb and staying below 9K feet (I live in the sierras). I moved up from there to doing 5-10 mile hikes with around 1000-1500 feet of climb in several months. I try to keep my pace just below where I feel forced to stop and rest. In other words, I tried to listen to my body in breathing and muscle "burn" on climbs and slow my pace to where I could always make forward motion. I found if I started and took rest breaks, it was harder for me than to simply vary my pace and keep going. I went faster on flats, and slower on hills. I practiced the rest step (so to speak) and that seemed to help.

One key ingredient is to make sure you take time to eat and drink more often than you think you need to. At first I was simply crashing after x miles and was done, I mean done, and didnt want to hike anymore. Later after I learned to make sure I ate at least every few hours, and make sure I was drinking around 1 liter per 5 miles (for me anyway) the crashes stopped and I simply got progressively tired.

Over the course of one summer I was able to go from doing 3 mile days to 20+ mile days with 3000-4000 feet of climbing. By the end of the season we were stretching 3 consecutive days of 15-20 miles with a full 20lb pack load.

I had to add in days during the week that I would go up to a close local trail that had a 2000 foot climb in 3 miles. I did this several days after work and it took me about 2 hours on the trail (slow up and fast down).

The truth to the matter from my perspective is no one on this board or anywhere else will be able to motivate you to do this, you will have to find that in yourself. My wife tried for years and failed until I decided I wanted to do it, not for her, but for me.

It was hard, I hated it at times, but each time got just a little bit easier.

We have decided we are going to do overnights this year, have purchased all our gear, and are planning a two week hike on the JMT (dont think we will make the entire route but maybe reds meadow to Whitney).

I can say its worth it. The pain and embarrassment (of being so out of shape and huffing and puffing when others were running up the hills) is worth the feeling of accomplishment and the sights you will see. I found places within 50 miles of my house that I never knew existed, and on some trials here I could go all day and not run into another human.

We hiked to clouds rest in Yosemite this year, and the views were truly amazing. i dont think I will ever forget it.

So decide what you want to do, set one foot in front of the other, and do it again the next day. Get up even when tired, when its raining, or its cold / hot. go anyway. At the end of the day you will thank yourself.

good luck.

sbhikes
01-16-2011, 18:14
A good shoemaker can add 3/4 inch to your hiking shoe. You should see a podiatrist to get the exact measurement. You might even have this covered by insurance.

Speakeasy TN
01-16-2011, 18:40
I'm sure the "go slow" advice is a little discouraging, but I bet you'll be suprised just how quickly you'll feel a difference! You'll be checking out the wildflowers along the Trail this Spring if you get going!
Best wishes!!!:welcome

Lilred
01-16-2011, 18:53
Tracey, We sound a lot alike LOL. I'm a good 50 overweight too. I got up off the couch and got on the trail. It was HARD!! Couldn't go more than 8 miles a day and huffed and puffed on the uphills. I did the rest step so much I named myself waltzing matilda. Anyhow, what I'm trying to say is if I can do it you can do it. You can change your diet, start an exercise program, do practice hikes, or you can just get out there and do it. Just start hiking and you will get in shape.

Smile
01-16-2011, 19:13
Tracey, there are a MULTITUDE of great, short hikes to start where you are. The Greenway Trail in Boone, the Boone Fork Loop, you can hike a little and work your way up to the loop, the Moses Cone Manor grounds offer something for everyone, there is also a group in that area called the Chargers and ReChargers who hike every Monday (easy hikes) and on Wednesdays (more difficult hikes). Have fun and hope this helps!

Blissful
01-16-2011, 19:31
Definitely go and get some decent footwear and insoles to work for you via a professional. No reason to have that kind of joint issue with proper footwear. You'll get ulcers if you stay on Vit I like that.

Mags
01-16-2011, 20:50
So decide what you want to do, set one foot in front of the other, and do it again the next day. Get up even when tired, when its raining, or its cold / hot. go anyway. At the end of the day you will thank yourself.

good luck.

Awesome story and great advice!!! Thanks for sharing.

Hymnsinger
01-17-2011, 00:27
I am reading and appreciating all your posts! Thank you so much for the great welcome. My first trail report will be soon!

God bless you, even if you don't believe in Him!! :D

Tracey

Cookerhiker
01-17-2011, 09:19
I have nothing to add to the good advice you've received thus far. I'm happy for you that you've decided to make this change and I'm confident you'll derive both pleasure and spiritual rewards as you make your way "up the trail." Best wishes and God bless.

gopher
01-18-2011, 09:07
Fear and Doubt are the only obstacles to success in any endeavor.. Others have done the trail with the same "limitations" and have succeeded. Change the way you see the trail, not 2175 miles but a series of 10 mile day hikes. Take 6 days when others say it takes 4, you can do it. Old saying follows... "It's a cinch by the inch but hard by the yard."

Sickmont
01-18-2011, 13:39
It's hard for me to stay motivated when I want to stay in bed on my days off!

Greetings, Tracey!

I have the exact same problem. I also noticed that the hardest part of it(for me, anyways)is just getting out of bed and out of the door. Once i'm out and in some nature, however, i never, ever regret it. Perhaps that little thought may be of some motivation for you as well, just knowing that once you're outside and in the natural world, everything is a billion times better. At least it seems to work that way for me.

Cheers!

Bear Cables
01-18-2011, 20:39
Tracey, We sound a lot alike LOL. I'm a good 50 overweight too. I got up off the couch and got on the trail. It was HARD!! Couldn't go more than 8 miles a day .

Gee I'm 56 in very good condition but I don't like to hike much more than 8 miles a day :)

My suggestion the the newbie is 1) get a physical 2) start a walking program then 3) day hike then 4) do a few overnight hikes and go for it!

Hymnsinger
02-13-2011, 01:08
I'm doin' it!! The trails behind my house are old logging roads, LOTS of up and down, mostly up! I did a quick two miles today, took me two hours. I don't know how to measure the elevation up and down except that I go from 1600' to 1800' three or four times! It's funny, the first 20 minutes I can't walk 200' without being out of breath with a pounding heart. After that first 20 minutes I seem to hit my stride, pulse & resp drop to near normal and I'm ok except for the normal tired muscles. It actually feels good! some of the slopes are pretty steep, near 12%. Need to do the rest step on those, but it's really no problem once I'm warmed up. Now I just need to keep at it.

I'm looking at doing the stretch from the Watauga Dam to the Double Spring shelter, then get picked up on US 421 north of Shady Valley, TN sometime this year. How far is it and how long should it take a seasoned hiker? I'll add a couple of days of course, LOL! I fully intend to take my time. How are the grades on that section? Suitable camp sites? Isn't that the Cherokee Nat. Forest? Are small open fires allowed there? How much water crosses the trail (creeks, streams, springs)?

Thanks everyone, you guys and gals are great . . . I can't wait to hit the trail!

Tracey

Carbo
02-13-2011, 12:20
I am reading and appreciating all your posts! Thank you so much for the great welcome. My first trail report will be soon!

God bless you, even if you don't believe in Him!! :D

Tracey

I swear it ain't a "Him" the way he keeps nagging me!

Hymnsinger
02-13-2011, 14:49

LOL yep "He" can certainly be a "she' too!! :eek:

Speakeasy TN
02-13-2011, 18:12

I'm glad I wasn't drinking a cup of coffee here! Thanks for a haha!