PDA

View Full Version : NC1365-Tellico Gap, NC

rustmd
01-15-2011, 21:29
Is Tellico Gap, NC a road where one can meet a pre-arranged shuttle? I'm trying to find an end for one of my section hikes this spring.

thanks,
dottie

Cabin Fever
01-15-2011, 21:38
Yes. It's way up the hollers, but easily accessed as long as there is no bad weather.

JaxHiker
01-16-2011, 14:03
That's where I left my truck on my last hike. Definitely in the middle of nowhere but I had the shuttle lead me there and then take me to Dick's Creek.

rustmd
01-20-2011, 18:38
Thank you for your replies, Cabin Fever & Jax Hiker.

Another question: we are hiking from Unicoi Gap to Tellico Gap, NC. Any place to resupply? Or should we just pack it all in for the duration?

dottie

Gray Blazer
01-20-2011, 18:45
Thank you for your replies, Cabin Fever & Jax Hiker.

Another question: we are hiking from Unicoi Gap to Tellico Gap, NC. Any place to resupply? Or should we just pack it all in for the duration?

dottie

No place right on the trail. You could hitch hike to Hiawassee or Franklin. If you're just going out for 5 or 6 days you should be able to carry enough. There is lots of water along this section so you won't have to schlep a lot of water.

JaxHiker
01-20-2011, 18:54
I'd say you can mail a box to Haven's and have them bring it out to you at Winding Stair. They'll also run you into town. I think it's about 10 mi from Franklin.

generoll
01-20-2011, 22:44
depending on what time of year, the store at Standing Indian might be open. best to call ahead.

Marta
01-21-2011, 08:28
Tellico Gap is only 8 miles (almost all downhill) from Wesser/NOC/US 74/19, which is a major road crossing and has lots of services. While you could meet a shuttle at Tellico, it would be much easier to arrange almost anything at the NOC.

daddytwosticks
01-21-2011, 08:35
Agree w/Marta. Continue on and stop at that awesome fire tower for great views before the hike down to the NOC. :)

Ron Haven
01-21-2011, 08:42
Yes Dottie, you can get a shuttle at Tellico Gap. If I can help you arrange anything just let me know..

SawnieRobertson
01-21-2011, 12:11
Dottie, how are your feet? If you are having trouble with them, you'd probably be better off taking Ron up on that offer. The trail going north from Tellico Gap is indeed downhill, unmercifully so if you are in current plantar difficuly. Hiking UP from NOC, going south, is a delight.--Kinnickinic

rustmd
01-24-2011, 18:44
thanks for all the replies so far, you all help very much.

a bit more info.: this april section hike time frame is 8 days--i'm a teacher, this is my spring break. hiker hostel will shuttle me & my hiking partner to unicoi gap, then we have 8 days to hike. we are both very hardy. i've hiked a bunch north, i.e. va, md, pa & new england, and just a bit in GA. my itinerary right now has us hiking 12-15 mile days, from unicoi gap to natahala. 8 days, 84 miles, so 10.5 each day.

should we carry food for 8 days, or should we figure out a food resupply? i do like ron haven's offer to help out (ron, you've done a shuttle for me in the past, smile).

so w/ that info., what'd ya think?

dottie

Marta
01-25-2011, 07:53
If it were me, I'd definitely break up the trip with a visit to Franklin, for a shower and resupply. Then carry on. If you're arranging the endpoint shuttle with Ron, you could always leave things open for either Tellico Gap or NOC, depending. You should be able to get cell phone service in the last couple of days, to pin things down.

daddytwosticks
01-25-2011, 08:24
I had good cell phone service (Verizon) at the top of the tower north of Tellico Gap and then down to the NOC. Have fun. :)