PDA

View Full Version : July SOBO mother-daughter team

Delta-Dawn
01-15-2011, 22:28
Hello Board! My name is Dawn and I have been a lurker for months, every since this urge to hike the A.T. set in and took over. ;) I have to say I have learned so much from just reading all the amazing information on this site but I have also piled in every book I could gt my hands on to get as much information as possible to make sure that I could indeed do this thing. I am happy to proclaim aloud here, that SOBO in July '11 will be when I begin my journey home to GA!

A little about me: I'm a wife and a mom, but I'm also an avid gardener, voracious reader, inspired writer, and an outdoorswoman. I am a southern gal; a 'Dixie darlin' who hunts, fishes, rides horses & atvs, kayaks, camps and hikes. I can shoot a gun (and do it well), but would rather shoot my camera. I care about our green spaces, our waters, our planet. The earth is my mother, and I love her dearly. I can also dress up okay, too, and I'm always a lady...even after a good, long, sweaty, stinky hike. ;)

About my hike: I will be hiking with my youngest child, my 10 yr old (hike time 11 but acts like she's 52) daughter. I am a cancer survivor and maybe my outlook on life has changed, but I feel like the time is now. Soon she will be a teen and times will be different. This is our time. It is my time to plant in her the belief that she can tackle anything set in front of her, because she tackled the A.T. and succeeded. (No negativity allowed. We begin this with the faith that we will complete this.) :sun

I'm excited to get to know more of you and pick your brains for any advice or information I haven't gotten yet.

Holy cow, I just made my first official A.T. thread. I'm just a wee bit giddy. :jump

topshelf
01-15-2011, 22:31
Good luck to you, I hope to be heading SOBO in the next couple years

Roland
01-15-2011, 22:47
Welcome to WB, Delta-Dawn. :welcome

wornoutboots
01-15-2011, 22:52
Welcome!! I look forward to hearing more of your Adventure. Will you be journaling? If so on trailjournals? I'd love to follow along!

Fog Horn
01-15-2011, 22:53
Good luck to you and your daughter. Be prepared to learn a lot you never knew about her. It should be a rewarding experience if you have an open mind about it.

My mom and I took an autobiography class together and both focused on a time frame when I was a kid. She had no idea about a lot of the crap I pulled and got away with (like blaming my brother for stealing twenty dollars from her purse, then buying as many gummy snacks as I could with it at the school snack shack for two week).

Are you keeping a journal? The dynamic of mother and young daughter would make it very different and interesting, imo

Awol1970
01-15-2011, 23:00
What's that flower you have on? Could it be a faded rose from days gone by???

Jim Adams
01-15-2011, 23:12
Hope to meet you out there...you have so much positive attitude...remember 10% effort, 90% mind. Don't ever give up on those thoughts and you should do fine. Good luck!

geek
PS. I wish my daughter had gone with me.

Delta-Dawn
01-15-2011, 23:14
Hello! Thanks for such a warm (and quick) welcome! Yes, it is a faded rose from days gone by. ;)

I will be journaling, and while I don't have a TrailJournal set up yet, I do have a blog (that hasn't been updated in a month-ACK!) but that I will post to often as things progress and then during the hike. Katie will be journaling as well and making notes of her own. :) While I had been working on a book about surviving life, the South, dysfunctional families and cancer and being happy anyway, it has turned into something bigger: all that plus a surviving the A.T. with my child book series. lol :) Katie will be working on her own "Hiking the A.T. for Kids, by a Kid" book. :) As we go along and get closer to the dates, I will be sure to share the links so anyone interested can follow along. :)

Roland
01-15-2011, 23:14
...remember 10% effort, 90% mind. Don't ever give up on those thoughts and you should do fine.

Poetic

Delta-Dawn
01-15-2011, 23:22
Hope to meet you out there...you have so much positive attitude...remember 10% effort, 90% mind. Don't ever give up on those thoughts and you should do fine. Good luck!

geek
PS. I wish my daughter had gone with me.

Jim, I believe that so much! I have had ovarian cancer 3 times (it likes to spread). During that time, I had to realize that my thoughts are far more powerful than I gave them credit for. If I was going to kick cancer in the arse, I had to BELIEVE it. I believe that I can overcome anything, and that is what I want to be teaching her as well. :)

Hope to meet you too! :)

wcgornto
01-15-2011, 23:46
I went SOBO in 2009 and hiked home to Georgia. It does give an extra psychological boost to know that the journey will end in your home state.

I came across a mother/daughter pair heading north when I was in Stratton, ME. They were nearing the end of their hike and it was a delight to see them out there together. What treasured memories they now share.

I believe the youngest thru hiker of record was six, so eleven should be no problem.

To quote you from above "We begin this with the faith that we will complete this." That's the key right there. Remove the word "attempt" from your vocabulary and determine before you start that you will finish.

All the best to you.

Delta-Dawn
01-16-2011, 00:11
I went SOBO in 2009 and hiked home to Georgia. It does give an extra psychological boost to know that the journey will end in your home state.

To quote you from above "We begin this with the faith that we will complete this." That's the key right there. Remove the word "attempt" from your vocabulary and determine before you start that you will finish.

All the best to you.

Thanks so much! I also thought the same, that to walk home would be more important to us than walking away from it. I'm glad to see that it does indeed give the much needed boost. :)

'Attempt' has been banished. ;)

Pedaling Fool
01-16-2011, 08:14
Good Luck (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3SfcANH-9A) :sun

Two Tents
01-16-2011, 09:23
Maybe you could call your book"Being happy anyway." I like that! It is something everybody must do in some way. Best wishes for you and your lucky daughter.

Awol1970
01-16-2011, 12:04
One of the coolest things that will come of this I believe is how you look at your daughter and her abilities when you both complete this. When she graduates from high school and she says to you " Well I'm off to the Mexican border to take a quick jaunt to the canadian border", or "Plane leaves Monday to Europe and all I'm taking is a pack that I can carry on and the knowledge of how to make a stove from the crap in any dumpster, I'll be back in 12 weeks or so", or "I'm off to Australia for an indeterminite amount of time." You can say "Ok honey! Don't forget to write!" with confidence and ease.

And that right there is an awesome thing.

Delta-Dawn
01-16-2011, 13:30
One of the coolest things that will come of this I believe is how you look at your daughter and her abilities when you both complete this. When she graduates from high school and she says to you " Well I'm off to the Mexican border to take a quick jaunt to the canadian border", or "Plane leaves Monday to Europe and all I'm taking is a pack that I can carry on and the knowledge of how to make a stove from the crap in any dumpster, I'll be back in 12 weeks or so", or "I'm off to Australia for an indeterminite amount of time." You can say "Ok honey! Don't forget to write!" with confidence and ease.

And that right there is an awesome thing.

AWOL, you kinda choked me up there. lol But yeah, I can totally see that happening some day. :)

Two Tents, I like that!

Thanks, John! :)

58starter
01-16-2011, 15:01
Welcome, hope to see you out there somewhere. I section hike and will be doing about a week in Oct. somewhere on the trail

Migrating Bird
01-16-2011, 16:16
Good luck, my daughter and fiance thru hiked SOBO in 09. Hope to meet you on the trail, if not when in MA let me know how I can help.

CrumbSnatcher
01-16-2011, 16:52
Good luck! :)
HAVE FUN:D

Jujube7
01-18-2011, 18:26
Mother-daughter team sounds great! I'll also be going SOBO in June. Hope to see you out there

TJ aka Teej
01-18-2011, 20:39
How's the planning going? Have you decided your start date yet? I always recommend MEGAs book two nights, before and after your climb, in a lean-to at Katahdin Stream Campground. Choice nights in July go fast - make that reservation soon!

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/

Be sure to check out the MEGA forum here: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=422

Delta-Dawn
01-20-2011, 12:38
How's the planning going? Have you decided your start date yet? I always recommend MEGAs book two nights, before and after your climb, in a lean-to at Katahdin Stream Campground. Choice nights in July go fast - make that reservation soon!

Be sure to check out the MEGA forum here: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=422

Hi TJ! The planning is going well, although I had to take a 36 hour break. I think my brain is in A.T. overload! :eek: So much to do, so much to prep for! Long distance is so much different than 4-5 day jaunts and I want to be prepared for anything.

Our start date is 7/7. I am about to call Baxter to make my reservation for the 6th and the 7th. I'm actually a little nervous! It is making it officially official, ya know? :o

Jujube, Crumbsnatcher, Migrating Bird and 58starter, thanks everyone for the welcome, I look forward to seeing you all out there! :D

Spokes
01-20-2011, 12:54
You guys are gonna have a blast!

Cheers!

Delta-Dawn
01-20-2011, 13:00
You guys are gonna have a blast!

Cheers!

Thanks, Spokes! I am so excited, I think it will be the time of our lives! Some good time, some bad time too, more than likely, but definitely the time of our life! :sun

Driver8
01-20-2011, 17:31
Thanks so much! I also thought the same, that to walk home would be more important to us than walking away from it. I'm glad to see that it does indeed give the much needed boost. :)

'Attempt' has been banished. ;)

Howdy, Delta Darlin'! I'm an Arkie living all the way up in Connecticut. Have gotten into hiking in a big way this past year, and the fever shows no signs of subsiding. :)

Have you read the "Barefoot Sisters" books? Susan and Lucy Letcher wrote them, the first one, about SOBO from near their family home in Maine, is an excellent account of their hike, and "Walking Home", as well, of *their* return home. The NOBO book is more about the social dynamic with other hikers, the SOBO is more about their interaction with each other and with a smaller circle of hikers with whom they shared the same stretch of trail. The sobo hike, be advised, was very difficult and challenging for them, moreso than their return trip. I bet both books would make a very informative, illuminative read for you.

Cheers and best wishes. Will be happy to chip in something useful to you now and then when I can - there are many here far more knowledgable about most things AT-related than am I, but now and then I have something useful.

-Chris/Driver 8

peakbagger
01-20-2011, 17:32
If you at any point are concerned about your daughter being "too young" you may want to check out this blog

http://trishandalex.blogspot.com/

Blissful
01-20-2011, 18:03
Hope it goes well. I started July 1 last year. It can't be overstated, though, that this is a tough hike all around, but esp in the beginning. Without much chance to change your gear at all until Hanover, etc. Be sure you are set when you start. Take your time. Maine is extremely tough for SOBOers. You will be hurting and tired after Katahdin - its hard. I hope your 10 yr old has done some really tough hikes. This will test a child to the limit. Once you get to Glencliff, NH, its just miles and days. But Maine and NH will definitely test your will and energy to do this. Just get to Glencliff, and then you are really on your way.

Blissful
01-20-2011, 18:05

Actually there were plenty of sites there even late in the season and over July 4th. I was surprised. Not to say you shouldn't plan ahead,

Delta-Dawn
01-20-2011, 18:23
From what I saw on there today is that there are 25 open sites for KS for the week that we are going, through-out the entire week. I counted and it looks like that is how many that campground has in total so no reservations as of yet? :? I am sending off the form tomorrow though, I want to make sure that is taken care of and we aren't left scrambling for something later. I'd hate to think it would be plenty open to only find it not, ya know? :)

Delta-Dawn
01-20-2011, 18:33
Hope it goes well. I started July 1 last year. It can't be overstated, though, that this is a tough hike all around, but esp in the beginning. Without much chance to change your gear at all until Hanover, etc. Be sure you are set when you start. Take your time. Maine is extremely tough for SOBOers. You will be hurting and tired after Katahdin - its hard. I hope your 10 yr old has done some really tough hikes. This will test a child to the limit. Once you get to Glencliff, NH, its just miles and days. But Maine and NH will definitely test your will and energy to do this. Just get to Glencliff, and then you are really on your way.

Thank you. I know Maine and NH is going to kick our arses, so we are definitely going to be as in the best physical shape possible. When she gets out of school at the end of May we are heading to the NC line and we will hike north for a few weeks before we have to be home at the end of June for a wedding. I don't know how far we'll make it north, ( am hoping to at least completed NC/TN-which I guess means technically we are doing a flip-flop), but by this time we will have been shaken down and have had a few extra months to prep. She hikes with us all the time, and is quite the scrambler over rocks, etc. (little monkey) but I am trying to get her as physically ready as possible as well as myself. We don't want any injuries or giving up. :)

Delta-Dawn
01-20-2011, 18:35
Howdy, Delta Darlin'! I'm an Arkie living all the way up in Connecticut. Have gotten into hiking in a big way this past year, and the fever shows no signs of subsiding. :)

Have you read the "Barefoot Sisters" books? Susan and Lucy Letcher wrote them, the first one, about SOBO from near their family home in Maine, is an excellent account of their hike, and "Walking Home", as well, of *their* return home. The NOBO book is more about the social dynamic with other hikers, the SOBO is more about their interaction with each other and with a smaller circle of hikers with whom they shared the same stretch of trail. The sobo hike, be advised, was very difficult and challenging for them, moreso than their return trip. I bet both books would make a very informative, illuminative read for you.

Cheers and best wishes. Will be happy to chip in something useful to you now and then when I can - there are many here far more knowledgable about most things AT-related than am I, but now and then I have something useful.

-Chris/Driver 8

Hi Chris! :) I have Barefoot Sisters in the stack to start next! I got it for Christmas along with a few others. I am looking forward to it since it is a SOBO journey and most are NOBO.

Chip in when you can! :)

Delta-Dawn
01-20-2011, 18:37
If you at any point are concerned about your daughter being "too young" you may want to check out this blog

http://trishandalex.blogspot.com/

Thank you!! I have been looking for someone that had a blog with child hikers. I can't wait to read it! :)

Driver8
01-20-2011, 18:43
Hi Chris! :) I have Barefoot Sisters in the stack to start next! I got it for Christmas along with a few others. I am looking forward to it since it is a SOBO journey and most are NOBO.

Chip in when you can! :)

Make sure to do their Walking Home book, too, about the yo-yo/nobo. It's funner with a wider social circle, and the end of it is just awesome - they're both coming home, with their love for Maine shining through in their fluid prose, and it's September 2001, which is a story in itself. They tell a great story brimming over with neat trail magic and, at the same time, give an excellent, practical guide through their account of how to hike the doggone thing, tackling it bit by bit and day by day. Hope you get a chance to enjoy both books, if time permits.

Also, have you read "Becoming Odyssa"? It's on my wish list. Would love to get a review from you.

Cheers, and well met,

Chris/Driver 8

Delta-Dawn
01-21-2011, 11:38
Make sure to do their Walking Home book, too, about the yo-yo/nobo. It's funner with a wider social circle, and the end of it is just awesome - they're both coming home, with their love for Maine shining through in their fluid prose, and it's September 2001, which is a story in itself. They tell a great story brimming over with neat trail magic and, at the same time, give an excellent, practical guide through their account of how to hike the doggone thing, tackling it bit by bit and day by day. Hope you get a chance to enjoy both books, if time permits.

Also, have you read "Becoming Odyssa"? It's on my wish list. Would love to get a review from you.

Cheers, and well met,

Chris/Driver 8

Becoming Odyssa is under Barefoot Sisters and under that is 'Footpath my Ass!: And other Keen Observations made by a middle-aged woman hiking the A.T.'. LOL :rolleyes: They are the last in my ever-present stack of books that has to deal with the A.T. and I've already read so many others that I wanted to save these a little longer. You know, the anticipation of a good book, knowing that a rainy weekend around the house is good reading time. :D If there is idle time, more than likely I have a book in my hand, so I will blow through the stack I have now within the next month and by March will be eager for more, so I am spacing out the good A.T. stories between my other books that I have to read. :)

Spokes
01-21-2011, 12:54
I just finished "Becoming Odyssa" and rank it as the best AT read to date.

If you want a great laugh out loud book pick up a copy of "The Cactus Eaters: How I Lost My Mind and Almost Found Myself on the Pacific Crest Trail" by Dan White.
Coffee shot out of my nose on several occasions while reading it......

Cheers!

Delta-Dawn
01-21-2011, 13:04
I just finished "Becoming Odyssa" and rank it as the best AT read to date.

If you want a great laugh out loud book pick up a copy of "The Cactus Eaters: How I Lost My Mind and Almost Found Myself on the Pacific Crest Trail" by Dan White.
Coffee shot out of my nose on several occasions while reading it......

Cheers!

Ooh, then Becoming Odyssa may be next then, before Barefoot Sisters. :)

Thanks for the good book recommendation! Always love coffee or tea shooting out my nose! lol ;)

Driver8
01-25-2011, 20:24
... I am spacing out the good A.T. stories between my other books that I have to read. :)

Sounds like a good plan! I found the Barefoot books engrossing, hard to put down. Read one right after the other.

Delta-Dawn
01-31-2011, 22:30
Well, I couldn't wait; started The Barefoot Sisters over the weekend. I am now a little freaked out about the leeches! :eek: LEECHES?! No one told me 'bout no stinkin' leeches! ACK!!! :eek: I've never even seen a leech except in a lab or on the television. Do they really swim after you? OMG! :confused:

On a second note of interest, I received my first ATC package of the year with the '11 Companion, Maine maps and books and the Lipsmackin' Backpackin cookbook in today's mail. :banana For kicks and grins, I stacked all my AT books on top of each other and measured. I have over 3 feet of books! That's a small person!!! :D And that isn't even counting the library books I've already returned. My brain is consumed with everything AT. Is this normal?! Oh heck, who am I asking? We all going out for months at a time with our belongings strapped to our back; I bet many would say THAT's not normal! lol :p

We had a great weekend here in the south, I loaded 20 lbs in my pack and the kid and I got a good 9 miles in on Saturday. Another 5 yesterday after church, so I'm feeling training is off to a good start. Now if we could just get rid of winter. At least I have my elliptical for when ma nature doesn't want to cooperate. :sun

Sorry for the bump, but it is my thread and I didn't want to waste board space with a new one. :)

The Flatulator
03-01-2011, 16:17
Good luck with your plans, Delta-Dawn. If you are looking for a shuttle, accomodations and mid-Wilderness resupply during your hike, please check out www.100milewilderness.info (http://www.100milewilderness.info) and let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Toli
03-01-2011, 17:40
Thats soooo awesome Delta Dawn... My son hated hiking... So I got a dog... He loves it :)

bpollard99
03-01-2011, 17:54
Wow, your adventure sounds famaliar....I started at Springer with a 12 year old in 2003, and we headed to our home State.....Maine! I'm sure there is a lot we could talk about! My wife and I have a business on Route 1, in Searsport, AND are the local bus stop from Boston, but I was born in Millinocket and love to visit Katahdin often. We would love to meet you and daughter and perhaps get yaw'l started ( thats Georgia talk -- not Yankee! ) Give us a call at home 207-469-7993 any evening. PS Chainsaw went 1025 miles to Maryland, I continued on and summitted Oct 4 in the SNOW! I'd love to talk about anything, be it pack weight to the lack of other younger children on the trail and how we dealt with these issues....Best of Luck, and welcome to the AT family....its a special group! Bain "Sherpa" Pollard

Delta-Dawn
03-01-2011, 19:18
Good luck with your plans, Delta-Dawn. If you are looking for a shuttle, accomodations and mid-Wilderness resupply during your hike, please check out www.100milewilderness.info (http://www.100milewilderness.info/) and let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Thanks so much!! The Wilderness is what I was concerned with in the beginning, so thank you so much for the link and help offer. I WILL take you up on it, I'm sure! :)

Thats soooo awesome Delta Dawn... My son hated hiking... So I got a dog... He loves it :)

LOL...I hear ya! I have a 16 yr old daughter who has NO interest in anything outdoors. ;)

.I started at Springer with a 12 year old in 2003, and we headed to our home State.....Maine! I'm sure there is a lot we could talk about

Bain, Wow...prayers were answered today! I was praying THIS MORNING for someone, ANYONE that would say, "oh yeah, I hiked the A.T. with my kid, too", and look, here ya are! :banana I am so happy you introduced yourself, I would have searched here forever and would have never found you. I do have so many questions for you! I can deal with gear, food, maps, etc., but the questions regarding thru hiking with children aren't common on this board and it is a bit of a guessing game. Did you TrailJournal? I would love to read about y'alls journey before I overload you with questions. :)

Y'all really made my day. Talk about almost immediate prayer fulfillment. lol :sun

blitz1
03-02-2011, 12:12
I'll add my best wishes to the others, really cool what you're doing! When my kids were young I loved taking them on short hikes, and as they got older, short backpacks, up to a week or so. I would have been delighted to do the AT with them, but my work schedule and their school schedules never permitted it....
I'll take vicarious pleasure in hearing of your trip, while i start my own AT hike No
Bo by myself (until i run into everyone else out there)

Delta-Dawn
03-03-2011, 13:17
Blitz, I keep trying to respond to you but the board keeps telling me I am too short in my message, even though I probably had a book written. Grrr....

Thanks for the support! :)