PDA

View Full Version : Where to start

golfer
01-15-2011, 22:39
Hello forum,
Let me start by saying that I've never done an overnight hike or should I say section hike. I live in western massachusettes and would like to do a small section that would be 2 or 3 days long. But I don't know where to start looking at where or what trail or about shuttleing from or to car . Or if there is clubs that do this as a group. I intend on using a hammock and not a tent for lower back purposes and it's just more comfy to me. Any info would be appreciated greatly thank in advance.

Ty

Roland
01-15-2011, 22:58
Contact jigsaw (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=237)

He's a long-time section hiker, living a bit West of you. I'm sure he could suggest beginner hikes in your area. Who knows, you may even make a friend.

golfer
01-15-2011, 23:32
Contact jigsaw (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=237)

He's a long-time section hiker, living a bit West of you. I'm sure he could suggest beginner hikes in your area. Who knows, you may even make a friend.

Thanks roland

rickb
01-15-2011, 23:44
Ty,

You might want to check out the Appalachian Mountain Club.

When you do your research, be sure to check out the trips organized by individual club chapters. Here is the link to one chapter that seems to have a lot going on:

http://www.amcworcester.org/hiking.htm

golfer
01-16-2011, 06:54
Thank ya rickb will do

mweinstone
01-16-2011, 07:22
read books like colin fletchers the complete hiker.go to an outfitter and look at everything.read every word on this site. start makeing and remakeing a list of gear. buy the basics. find the best hike nearest you and hike day hikes.refine your gear and cooking and tenting and walking and navagating and do an overnighter. finaly, and when you feel ready,...relax in your skills enough to have fun!

golfer
01-16-2011, 09:52
read books like colin fletchers the complete hiker.go to an outfitter and look at everything.read every word on this site. start makeing and remakeing a list of gear. buy the basics. find the best hike nearest you and hike day hikes.refine your gear and cooking and tenting and walking and navagating and do an overnighter. finaly, and when you feel ready,...relax in your skills enough to have fun!

I've been doing just exactly what your saying. Day hikes I've been doing and aquiring gear and refining it for 2 years now trust me I am not just jumping into the unknown with crazy heavy gear or anything . I have been studying this for over 2 years and slowly getting ready. Problem for me is my wife will not do it and I know no one with proper gear to do a section hike with me ( not that I need anyone ) but the gear can be costly for lightweight equipment . I have stayed out overnight testing hammock and tarp and gear so I'm looking forward to a scenic hike .

shelterbuilder
01-16-2011, 10:35
I've been doing just exactly what your saying. Day hikes I've been doing and aquiring gear and refining it for 2 years now trust me I am not just jumping into the unknown with crazy heavy gear or anything . I have been studying this for over 2 years and slowly getting ready. Problem for me is my wife will not do it and I know no one with proper gear to do a section hike with me ( not that I need anyone ) but the gear can be costly for lightweight equipment . I have stayed out overnight testing hammock and tarp and gear so I'm looking forward to a scenic hike .

I hear ya! I started backpacking in college, but because I was working full-time too, my schedule didn't mesh with any of my college hiking buddies, and since my wife didn't hike (or drive), I started doing "out-and-back" trips. It might sound like "buying the same real estate twice", but it really is a different hike in the opposite direction, so you might think about this as an option. Rickb's suggestion about getting with a local club is a great one - not only can you meet a lot of potential hiking partners while doing some hiking, but some of these folks might even have some "gently-used" gear that you could buy!

golfer
01-16-2011, 18:31
I hear ya! I started backpacking in college, but because I was working full-time too, my schedule didn't mesh with any of my college hiking buddies, and since my wife didn't hike (or drive), I started doing "out-and-back" trips. It might sound like "buying the same real estate twice", but it really is a different hike in the opposite direction, so you might think about this as an option. Rickb's suggestion about getting with a local club is a great one - not only can you meet a lot of potential hiking partners while doing some hiking, but some of these folks might even have some "gently-used" gear that you could buy!

Great idea

Blissful
01-16-2011, 19:32
This is a good place to be also for gear ideas, etc

Spider
01-16-2011, 19:40
I don't have any experience in Mass. but I've done several short trips like you mentioned in VA. I got started really on this forum by browsing and asking lots and lots of questions.

I suggest visiting your local outfitter and picking up some Appalachian Trail maps. You can also order them online with an easy google search. The only downside to a short trip on the AT is that you're hiking on a linear trail so you obviously can't drive yourself there, so you can have a wife, kid, or friend drop you off and pick you up.

Again, just keep browsing this site, it's got tons of information to get you started. I also suggest checking out the archives which you can access on the home page where you'll find things like sample packing lists which are very useful for getting ready for a trip.

golfer
01-16-2011, 20:15
I don't have any experience in Mass. but I've done several short trips like you mentioned in VA. I got started really on this forum by browsing and asking lots and lots of questions.

I suggest visiting your local outfitter and picking up some Appalachian Trail maps. You can also order them online with an easy google search. The only downside to a short trip on the AT is that you're hiking on a linear trail so you obviously can't drive yourself there, so you can have a wife, kid, or friend drop you off and pick you up.

Again, just keep browsing this site, it's got tons of information to get you started. I also suggest checking out the archives which you can access on the home page where you'll find things like sample packing lists which are very useful for getting ready for a trip.
kinda hoping i can drive to a place that would have shuttle service to bring me a distance and then hike basically back toward where the car is.