PDA

View Full Version : New Patch for Thru Hikers

rickb
01-16-2011, 09:49
I read that the ALDHA is creating a new patch that they will be handing out to newly minted AT thru hikers.

Sounds like a fun idea, and a decent alternative for those who want a patch but for whatever reason don't want to complete the ATC's 2000-miler application.

Pedaling Fool
01-16-2011, 10:08
I feel like punching holes in this idea, but will refrain. You got a link?

Helios
01-16-2011, 10:29
Wow....walk 2000 miles and get a patch. What on Earth for? ALDHA doing a fund raiser or something?

4eyedbuzzard
01-16-2011, 10:33
It's not there's anything stopping anybody from making any AT related patch they want for personal use. Even selling them for a profit is fine - provided it doesn't infringe on a registered trademark if used for commercial purpose. Tons of patch manufacturers out there. If people want an ALDHA thru-hiker patch that's cool. Whiteblaze could sell their own too.

10-K
01-16-2011, 10:33
Can you still get in the Hall of Fame if you have the patch?

Seriously though - it's not hurting anyone. If it's not your cup of tea, just ignore it.

4eyedbuzzard
01-16-2011, 10:35
Can you still get in the Hall of Fame if you have the patch?

Seriously though - it's not hurting anyone. If it's not your cup of tea, just ignore it.
Yeah, but you'll get an asterisk. ;) :D

moytoy
01-16-2011, 10:37
http://www.aldha.org/patch.htm

pistol p
01-16-2011, 10:46
I think it's nice. Recognition is a good thing. When I used to drag race, I was out there for me. I wanted to see what I my hard work of designing and building the engine and transmission, along with the suspension set up, could do...nothing else. When I won, and was given a trophy, it was a good feeling. It was a remembrance of what a good time I had and what I had accomplished.

Someday, I will smile from receiving a patch from the ALDHA :)

10-K
01-16-2011, 10:55
Ha, me and my son also got the Georgia patch AND the certificate. For hiking less than 90 miles.

Patches are a keepsake, something to mark a memory. I don't think they're imbued with any magical powers.

I also like getting medals, mugs, t-shirts, etc. for races that I run.

jersey joe
01-16-2011, 11:00
Ha, me and my son also got the Georgia patch AND the certificate. For hiking less than 90 miles.

Patches are a keepsake, something to mark a memory. I don't think they're imbued with any magical powers.

Patches are great for kids. I remember when I was 12 getting the four gettysburg trail patchnes when completing the four trails there...It was fun! We got many patches for many different things, they served as symmbols for things that we did and places we went.

Helios
01-16-2011, 11:00
I don't think they're imbued with any magical powers.

I'm holding out for the secret decoder patch, or was that ring? :-)

I can not remember what half the medals I've gotten from racing are for. Real bad memory issues. I love the t-shirts though! I still have my first marathon t-shirt from 1988. Sadly, it doesn't fit any more. Too many AYCE's!

Pedaling Fool
01-16-2011, 11:21
I read that the ALDHA is creating a new patch that they will be handing out to newly minted AT thru hikers.

Sounds like a fun idea, and a decent alternative for those who want a patch but for whatever reason don't want to complete the ATC's 2000-miler application.

http://www.aldha.org/patch.htm
Well according to the above link, it's not a thru-hiker patch, rather just another 2,000 miler patch. Does the ALDHA even define "thru-hiker"? Just by looking at the link it seems as though they just use the loose definition, much like the ATC.

max patch
01-16-2011, 11:56
The ONLY organization that should issue 2,000 miler patches/certificates is the organization that manages the trail; the ATC.

rickb
01-16-2011, 12:45
Well according to the above link, it's not a thru-hiker patch, rather just another 2,000 miler patch.

This is what I read that made me think that the ALDHA's patch is separate and distinct from the one that the ATC has for 2000 Milers (bold type is mine):

We want as many Class of 2011 thru-hikers to stop back in North Adams after they've finished their northbound thru-hikes and join us for this special Gathering. There's an incentive for them to do this: At the Gathering next year, they can fill out or bring a report of their thru-hike, submit it to the ATC on Friday afternoon, and on Friday night they'll be called up on stage to formally receive their 2,000-miler certificate and patch, straight from the good folks at trail headquarters in Harpers Ferry. AND, for the first time ever, members of the Class of 2011 will receive a free patch and certificate from their newfound soulmates in ALDHA, congratulating them on their thru-hiking accomplishment.

Not sure what the ALDHA standard will be for getting a patch, but clearly they have the opportunity to be more inclusive with regard to blazes than the ATC is now (if that's what they want to do).

Sonno
01-16-2011, 13:06
I don't need no stinkin patch... as long as I take my camera with me! :D

Pedaling Fool
01-16-2011, 13:12
I found the ALDHA standard and it is basically a copy of ATC's very loose definition. http://www.aldha.org/atpolicy.htm

Found it here http://www.aldha.org/fever.htm under the title "What exactly is a thru-hiker?"

It kind of sounds like they (ALDHA) will only give it to recipients of the ATC's 2,000 miler certificate.

10-K
01-16-2011, 13:14
It kind of sounds like they (ALDHA) will only give it to recipients of the ATC's 2,000 miler certificate.

Show me your papers...

:)

Pedaling Fool
01-16-2011, 13:17
I'm too much of a loser:sun

WalkinHome
01-16-2011, 15:20
This is what I read that made me think that the ALDHA's patch is separate and distinct from the one that the ATC has for 2000 Milers (bold type is mine):

Not sure what the ALDHA standard will be for getting a patch, but clearly they have the opportunity to be more inclusive with regard to blazes than the ATC is now (if that's what they want to do).

Sometimes a patch is just a patch.

wrongway_08
01-16-2011, 15:28
Don't need no patch to show off. I know what I have done well at and what I have failed at in life.

sbhikes
01-16-2011, 18:18
I had my tattoo artist engrave me a patch. I really like it.

10-K
01-16-2011, 20:28
Don't need no patch to show off. I know what I have done well at and what I have failed at in life.

I think in order to stay politically correct we need to have "failure patches" too. :)

Mags
01-16-2011, 20:45
I have two sets of scars on my forearm from when I slipped on the AT.

Does that count as a thru-hiker patch?