PDA

View Full Version : Warmest socks ???

GolfHiker
01-16-2011, 13:24
I have basically been on a life long search for the best/warmest socks I can find. Needless to say, I'm still looking. I'm not concerned with hiking socks, but rather campsite & sleeping wear. Nothing ruins a night out like cold feet, so I hope someone out there shares my problem. I know there are a ton of quality sock mfgs., and everyone claims to have the best/warmest, so I would appreciate any real world feedback. With my next winter hike coming up I just thougth I'd ask now.

I'm not a newbie, I'm not doing mountain expiditions, I understand the layering method & I'm willing to spend an appropriate amount. I just hate having cold feet.

lori
01-16-2011, 13:32
Down booties - Western Mountaineering, Sierra Designs and REI have their versions. The WM is the puffiest and has pretty decent soles. And there are also Goose Feet - I am so wanting a pair of Goose Feet with overcovers.

Integral Designs has a primaloft Hot Sock - about forty bucks, cheaper than the down booties but pretty good for sleeping in the cold. Pair them with crocs and you can walk around camp in them.

johnnyblisters
01-16-2011, 15:04
Insert feet into penguins= warmest sock.

Raul Perez
01-16-2011, 15:20
Goosefeet down socks

leaftye
01-16-2011, 16:19
Down booties. Get them overstuffed with down until they're indisputably the warmest socks...if you really must have the warmest. But the answer is down booties. The Goosefeet booties are about the same weight as thick wool socks, but of course they are much warmer.

garlic08
01-16-2011, 18:14
I agree with the down booties idea. I can't see one pair of clean dry socks being too much warmer in a camping situation than any other pair of clean dry socks of the same thickness. regard less of material or mfr claims. But that's the key--clean and dry socks, under puffy insulation whether in your sleeping bag (my method) or booties if you think they're worth the cost and fuss.

I have had a couple of very cold nights with unavoidable wet socks and I've used a down vest wrapped over the feet inside the sleeping bag. That works pretty good.

Fog Horn
01-16-2011, 18:16
Insert feet into penguins= warmest sock.

Insert feet into penguins = Happy Feet :D

GolfHiker
01-17-2011, 12:46
Thanks to all for the good suggestions. I hate to be a dunce, but what are penguins? Where can I find them? Are you yankin my chain?

QiWiz
01-17-2011, 21:35
Down booties.
Next would be either thick merino wool or possumdown.

10-K
01-17-2011, 21:56
I wear my Goosefeet around the house and I don't care how goofy I look.

I don't have anything to compare them against but the word "toasty" comes to mind when I think about my booties. I've never owned a pair of toasty socks.

Tinker
01-18-2011, 01:05
Buy a pair of vapor barrier socks and wear them inside down booties.

One source: www.warmlite.com (http://www.warmlite.com) .

MedicineMan
01-18-2011, 01:10
Just to throw out another option-
Woolpowers Artic sock
There seriously thick merino, expensive though, but you can't tear them, cant burn them-those are the advantages over down booties and wool still keeps feet warm when wet...if you ever do wet out your down booties your feet will regret it.
I'm going to the Roan Higher Colder Hang where temps might be 0 to -13F (we hope) and I'll be using a thinner Woolpower sock in the arctic model and then into a pair of Exped down socks.
Forgot to mention Tinkers idea above is excellent....but a plastic bread sack will do the same thing. We did that as kids and its always worked.

GolfHiker
01-18-2011, 19:11
The good ideas just keep coming... I checked out the Stephenson VB socks. Very nice. Lite, not expensive, probably just what I need.

Just an FYI Question, I have a pair of Sierra Designs Goose down booties ( kind without bottom pads), which I use exclusively for sleeping. They are at least 10-12 yrs. old, well taken care of, but just not new. What's the conventional wisdom on older down, does it continue to perform?

bigcranky
01-18-2011, 19:16
Light wool socks inside down booties. Bliss.

lori
01-18-2011, 19:17
Down sleeping bags can last for decades. Don't see why any other down item would be any different, if it's been cared for properly. Best way to know is to try 'em. :)

bigcranky
01-18-2011, 19:17
With proper care down will last a very long time. You'll know if they are still usable if they still have some loft.

Kerosene
01-18-2011, 21:07
Warmest socks have got to be the PossumDown Socks (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/possumdown_socks.html) I'm currently wearing around the house.

IronGutsTommy
01-21-2011, 15:36
smartwool socks are good too, basically any merino wool sock thats got some thickkness to it will worrk well while still allowing breathability. down would be even sweeter if you dont have goretex treated shoes or if your feet get chilly easily

NiteRaven
01-26-2011, 01:49
If you don't want to spend a lot, I found these:

http://www.smartsocks.net/merino-extreme-hiker.html

Very high merino wool percent. I was also looking for a thick sleeping sock but didn't want to blow my wad. :D

NiteRaven
01-26-2011, 01:54
Also, I forgot to mention... you should always go one size bigger, at least for sleeping. Tight socks will prevent circulation and be counter productive.