PDA

View Full Version : Project:High Frontiers

marcus
12-28-2004, 14:16
Dear Fellow Hiking Enthusiasts;
As a director of promotions and projects for Range Rover I would like to announce that we are coordinating with the United States Department of the Interior and the USFS to expand vehicle access to several ridges along the Appalachian Trail and other mountain areas of the US. This will open the hiking experience to a larger cross-section of the American public who are not able to endure the grueling ordeal of a backbacking adventure. We are looking for feedback from the Appalachian Trail community.

Lone Wolf
12-28-2004, 14:21
You're kiddin, right? :)

Lone Wolf
12-28-2004, 14:28
The larger cross-section of the American public who can't endure the "grueling ordeal of backpacking" is cuz they're too fat and couch bound. Building roads for fat asses ain't the way. That's what the National Park overlooks are for.

treetrunks
12-28-2004, 14:39
I hope this guy is kidding, but it is just the kind of thing that Georgie Bush would go along with.

Kerosene
12-28-2004, 14:49
This is a horrifying prospect. Improving car accessibility will ruin the experience for far more people than it will benefit. If someone wants some readily accessible views, then have them drive the Blue Ridge or Skyline parkways.

It reminds me of the requirement enforced at the Pico Camp shelter in Vermont to make its privy wheelchair accessible.

Bloodroot
12-28-2004, 15:09
It is HYOH, not DYOH (Drive Your Own Hike)

wacocelt
12-28-2004, 15:52
This is one of those things that meakes you go... :-?

Moose2001
12-28-2004, 16:00
Marcus...if you're serious about this I beleive the AT community will fight you tooth and nail on this one!!

kncats
12-28-2004, 16:06
This will open the hiking experience to a larger cross-section of the American public who are not able to endure the grueling ordeal of a backbacking adventure.
Okay, I'm confused. What does driving to the top of a ridge or mountain have to do with any sort of hiking experience? Does this mean that all the tourons who take the auto road to the top of Mount Washington have enjoyed their "hiking experience"? And please, let's leave Skyline Drive out of this discussion. Send the couch potatoes to the beach instead. There they can have miles and miles of unobstructed view, all the way to the horizon. And it's not a grueling ordeal at all.

wacocelt
12-28-2004, 16:17
I'm surprised lobster hasn't chimed in that more people able to drive to trail crossings would 'enable' those mangy Thru-Hikers to make it to Katahdin easier.

tribes
12-28-2004, 16:57
:mad:
Dear Fellow Hiking Enthusiasts;
As a director of promotions and projects for Range Rover I would like to announce that we are coordinating with the United States Department of the Interior and the USFS to expand vehicle access to several ridges along the Appalachian Trail and other mountain areas of the US. This will open the hiking experience to a larger cross-section of the American public who are not able to endure the grueling ordeal of a backbacking adventure. We are looking for feedback from the Appalachian Trail community.

WHAT CRAP!!!! :mad:

Explain to me how this opens the hiking experience to people? It leaves out all but the most important aspect of the hiking experience. You know....the hiking.

If the larger cross section cannot get off there fat lazy asses and get out and hike than they should stick to parking their butts in front of the idiot box and leave what is left of the corridor alone. Jeeezz, I hope that he is just a troll and not serious.

grrickar
12-28-2004, 17:25
Me thinks we are being had. A quick Google search turned up nothing about this project. I wouldn't get too excited about it just yet. Even if something were in the works, the AT community would put up a good fight.

Mags
12-28-2004, 17:26
This looks to be a hoax to gain the response we are doing. I think this news would have hit more than just Whiteblaze if it was true. Move along..don't feed the troll. ;)

On a somewhat related side note when you google "range rover" "appalachian trail", A-train's journal is the third link. :)

Mags
12-28-2004, 17:28
Looks like I was just a tad too slow (In googling , posting and in many other ways! :D)

wacocelt
12-28-2004, 17:28
On a somewhat related side note when you google "range rover" "appalachian trail", A-train's journal is the third link.

A-Train! You dirty bastage you, the truth is out! You have an alternate Troll personality! Makes me wonder if you're not also MS, lobster and a few others as well!

TakeABreak
12-28-2004, 19:17
MARCUS,

Can I give you some advise??

Unless you LandRover wants to be boycotted by the people here and other trail communities, I would strongly advise that they re-think their position.

The Old Fhart
12-28-2004, 19:24
This is different but thought you might like to see this link (http://www.4x4abc.com/Carlos_adventures/Mount_Washington.html). Rover had done something similar around 2001 when I was there in winter.

doppler
12-29-2004, 17:38
There are already plenty of places not near the AT that these people can drive to and hike. Sounds like they want to cash in on the PR value of the AT, which as we all in the community know is verboten. Considering I own a Land Rover and perform my own maintence, I know this "project" is laughable. Their Land Rover Hiker access trail would be littered with Land Rover corpses, not the best advertisement. Perhaps the automaker should be using their available capital to improve their product instead of attempting to inject it into places where it is not wanted. I would be happy to set mine on fire, in protest, in the middle of their opening ceremony if it doesn't breakdown on the way there.

saimyoji
12-29-2004, 18:03
...Wasn't the original vision of the AT a series of 'work camps' where regular folks could retreat to along the ridgeline to escape, recuperate, etc? I recall reading these camps being like little resorts, hot water, beds, restaraunts, with roads connecting them