PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen Question

GolfHiker
01-16-2011, 14:30
Ok, I've been using my windscreen for years. Used it with my alcohol stove, used it with my MSR Pocket Rocket, and likely many other stoves. I have heard that it is not advisable, say even dangerous to use with canister stoves. I'd like to know something definitive before I blow up myself & my hiking partners. My particular screen is just a home made model of medium gage aluminum, which folds up nicely. It seems to work, and I just thought I'd ask for an opinion.....:-?

bigcranky
01-16-2011, 14:44
As long as one side is mostly open, it should be fine. Feel the canister, and if it is even slightly warm, that's not a good idea. (Canisters should be cold from the release of pressure. Gas laws and all that.)

Luddite
01-16-2011, 14:48
What bigcranky said. I wouldn't wrap the windscreen all the way around a canister stove. Just set it up on one side or use a tree or a rock to block the wind.

Kerosene
01-16-2011, 16:55
As a long-time canister user, I concur that a loose-fitting windscreen keeping one side open will work just fine. You want to avoid reflecting heat back from the burner that overheats the canister.