PDA

View Full Version : Northern hostels

cold kettle
01-16-2011, 16:15
I will be attempting a thru begining mid - late March, being a Tennessean I hear a lot about "must do" southern hostels but little about any north of Virginnia. So would some of you northern experts wade in and tell me where I "need" to spend the night?

Lilred
01-16-2011, 17:01
I will be attempting a thru begining mid - late March, being a Tennessean I hear a lot about "must do" southern hostels but little about any north of Virginnia. So would some of you northern experts wade in and tell me where I "need" to spend the night?

Hey there Cold Kettle, can't answer your question as I have yet to get north of VA, but just wanted to shout out to my neighbor. I live in White House, TN. Good luck on your thru. Are you keeping an online journal??

Did you see the Nashville Hiker get together the end of Feb.?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1095662#post1095662

dana2k
01-16-2011, 17:13
youll hear about the good ones beforehand while you are hiking, no matter where you are. someone going the other direction will always mention them. that being said, the cabin in andover, maine was my favorite stay

Cookerhiker
01-16-2011, 17:25
First one that comes to my mind is Shaw's in Monson. Because Monson is the last town stop before the 100 mile "wilderness," I venture to say more thrus stay at Shaw's than any other hostel in the north.

Some other nice ones (I'm only listing the ones where I stayed and thus have personal attestation):

Stratton Motel/Hostel, Stratton, ME
Pine Ellis, Andover, ME
Hikers Paradise, Gorham, NH
Mohigan Center, NJ

You'll hear good things about many of the others as well.

Wizard 2009
01-16-2011, 17:26
Moon in the Pond Farm in MA was a highlight for my thru, Its not a hostle in the traditional sense as they operate on a "work for stay" basis only; but after almost 1500 miles of walking a few days of farm work was really enjoyable.

Pony
01-18-2011, 13:50
By the time I was in the northern half of the trail, I didn't really "need" to stay anywhere, except for laundry and showers. Usually I would try to get a shower and do laundry at a hostel and then hike out of town and camp. That being said, here are a few places I liked.

The city building (old jail?) in Palmerton. The church hostel in DWG. The Mayor's house in NY, though I hear it may be closed this year. The Green Mountain House Hostel in Manchest Ctr Vt. Chet's place in Lincoln NH., Shaw's in Monson, and I had a great time at Tom Levardi's in Dalton. You should also make time to spend a night and afternoon at Upper Goose Pond cabin in Mass.

Kermitt
01-18-2011, 14:18
The only 1 that I wound not stay at is Hikers Paradise in Gorham. I was their in 09, I had to ask them to clean the bathroom becuase it was so bad it look like it had not be clean for days. Also the room needed cleaning & the kitchen was realy bad & all you had to cook on was the stove & the oven would set off the alam when you cooked.
All the others listed are good ones.

DLANOIE
01-18-2011, 16:22
The Barn in Gorham: Doc was very nice and a fellow hiker

The Gull Pond Lodge in Rangeley: The owner let me use his truck to go into town for resupply.

White House Landing: I haven't personally stayed here, but have heard many good things.

Lybarger
01-18-2011, 16:34
Cleanest and best equipped (laundry and computer!!) hostels up north are Free State Hiker in MD and Green Mountain House in VT

10-K
01-18-2011, 16:55
White House Landing: I haven't personally stayed here, but have heard many good things.

White House Landing has the better view than all the other hostels put together IMO.

The only bummer is they watched me like a hawk to make sure I didn't steal anything - really got on my nerves.

the goat
01-18-2011, 17:24
hiker's paradise in gorham has turned into a real dump over the years. i liked it the first time i was there, but having visited since, it seems the owners just don't care anymore. i enjoyed the barn much, much more.

the doyle hotel in duncannon is a must, best hostel on the trail, imo.

adamkrz
01-18-2011, 17:45
Mason Hill in Chesire Massachusetts was really nice.

peakbagger
01-19-2011, 10:03
I live near Gorham NH so I dont stay at any of the nearby hostels, but talking to thruhikers, Hikers Paradise definitely seems to be less preferable these days. It has all the convieniences and is closest to the stores up the road but if you want a friendly owner and somewhat clean surroundings, thats not included. Many folks end up moving across the street to the Mt Madison motel or the Northern Peaks motel just down the road. The Barn has had mixed reviews due to a prior employee but most folks like it as it is hasnt changed a lot from its origins of a barn to stay in. It is a bit further down the road from the Walmart, but there is a community bus service that runs up and down main street. Its also right next to the town commons and there is usually some sort of band playing in the evening one night a week. The Barn is closer to the trail and the hitching to either Pinkham or Rattle River is easy as most traffic is going by either spot.

The last hostel in the area is at White Birches Campground in Shelburne. Its a basic hostel. The owners family lives at the other end of the building and therefore it isnt a party spot. They are a friendly bunch and having only been in the hostel business for a couple of years, they take a bit more interest in the operation.There is usually someone in the campground that will do shuttles for hiking. It is a couple of miles out of Gorham. The owner will usually do a shuttle to town on a scheduled basis, but if you want "shuttles on demand" you will have to pay a taxi.

In general if you want a friendly hostel owner that will go out of their way to help you out, like many down south, Gorham probably doesnt have what you want, but it really isnt needed as much of the local bunesses are set up to support hikers and outdoors people.

LIhikers
01-26-2011, 20:16
I enjoyed the night my wife and I stayed at the Hikers Welcome Hostel in Glenn Cliff, NH. You can choose if you want to sleep inside, in a wall tent outside, or in your own tent pitched in the yard. And there are laundry and shower facilities, which are always nice.

Gunner81
01-26-2011, 20:29
1. Green Mountain House Hostel in Manchester Center, VT: A-Mazing

M1 Thumb
01-26-2011, 21:49
Is The Cabin in Andover still in operation? Their website is no longer functioning and I don't know if this is indicative of the status of the hostel.

10-K
01-26-2011, 22:14
In general if you want a friendly hostel owner that will go out of their way to help you out, like many down south, Gorham probably doesnt have what you want, but it really isnt needed as much of the local bunesses are set up to support hikers and outdoors people.

Not a hostel but I stayed at the Royal Inn when I was in Gorham and the folks there were very nice. They let me stash my pack there while I went slackpacking before I even checked in. The girl working the desk offered to drive me to Wal-Mart for groceries when she got off - and it was pretty cheap as I recall.

I left Gorham right at daybreak and the second car that drove by picked me up and took me to Rattle River.

10-K
01-26-2011, 22:17
Is The Cabin in Andover still in operation? Their website is no longer functioning and I don't know if this is indicative of the status of the hostel.

I stayed there this past June. They had actually quit advertising to new hikers and were really only interested in people who had stayed there in previous years (don't ask me...).

I think my stay was atypical. There were some family issues causing quite a bit of stress on the owners and I think I was there at a bad time. Everyone was nice but it was a very superficial nice and I could sense it was somewhat forced.

4eyedbuzzard
01-26-2011, 22:42
White House Landing has the better view than all the other hostels put together IMO.

The only bummer is they watched me like a hawk to make sure I didn't steal anything - really got on my nerves.

Can't blame 'em. You are kind of shady lookin'. just sayin' :p :D

Blissful
01-26-2011, 22:46
I stayed there this past June. They had actually quit advertising to new hikers and were really only interested in people who had stayed there in previous years (don't ask me...).

The Cabin in Maine - I stayed there in July, 2010. This was not true anymore since their son is now there to help shuttle hikers. Honey and Bear had been overwhelmed and it was too hard for them, as they were getting on in years. But they said they very much wanted hikers to come. In fact the son gave me cards to hand out.

However I checked and see their site is down. Not sure why. I hope nothing happened. If anyone knows anything, please let me know. They are just wonderful people. Maybe they are updating it for the coming season. I hope that's it.

Sly
01-27-2011, 00:16
The only 1 that I wound not stay at is Hikers Paradise in Gorham. I was their in 09, I had to ask them to clean the bathroom becuase it was so bad it look like it had not be clean for days. Also the room needed cleaning & the kitchen was realy bad & all you had to cook on was the stove & the oven would set off the alam when you cooked.

You do realize for the most part it's up to hikers to keep the hostel they're staying in clean. I hope I never see Bob Peoples on his hands and knees cleaning hiker piss.

the goat
01-27-2011, 09:49

You do realize for the most part it's up to hikers to keep the hostel they're staying in clean. I hope I never see Bob Peoples on his hands and knees cleaning hiker piss.

there's a huge difference between a place like kincora and a place like hikers' paradise.

bob runs kincora at a loss, i'm sure. $3 donation?

hikers' paradise is a for-profit business, they should be cleaning their own bathrooms. regularly.