PDA

View Full Version : Three Forks GA Road Status

NorthGA_Hiker
01-16-2011, 16:28
Has anyone been on any of the forest service roads in the Chattahoochee National Forest near Three Forks since we got all the snow last week? I am planning a hike from Woody Gap to Three Forks for next weekend and wondered what the road conditions might be like on FS 58. Thanks for any information.

Sierra Echo
01-16-2011, 17:50
ALL back roads still have ice on them. Especially the shady ones. It warmed up today, but what didnt dry up to today could refreeze tonight.

Awol1970
01-16-2011, 19:18
I can virtually guarentee FS 58 and 42 are still icy and dicey however...I've been up there in my 4x4 pickup after ice storms and snowstorms before and never got stuck. An iced up gravel road has much more traction as you pass over it than a paved road. It also helped that when I was up there I had everything all to myself...In otherwords no oncoming traffic and the ability to do what I needed to do when I needed to do it.

That being said I wouldn't go up there in a two wheel drive pick-up (the worst vehicle in slick conditions) or even a front wheel drive car. YMMV.

NorthGA_Hiker
01-17-2011, 16:00
Thanks guys,

The trip we are talking about doing isnt until this Saturday. Looking at the weather this week its supposed to warm up all week I think. I have a 4x4 Toyota Tacoma, do you think I will be ok to cover FS 58 by this coming Saturday? Thanks for the input.

Awol1970
01-17-2011, 16:09
Absolutely no problem. My Dodge Dakota took on 8" of powder one trip and 1" of ice the next. During the icestorm the branches leaning WAY over the road due to the weight of the ice was my biggest concern.

FatMan
01-18-2011, 09:34
The FS roads will be clear of snow and ice by the weekend. Down to about 1.5 inches on my driveway as I write and melting fast. Tempst to remain seasonably warm the next few days. Expect plenty of mud though. Enjoy your hike.

NorthGA_Hiker
01-18-2011, 23:07
Thanks a lot.

That helps a lot. Here in Dalton it has all but gone. I thought the mud might be pretty bad. We have decided to park at the intersection of the AT and FS 42-1 (Cooper Gap road) rather than Hwy 60 in order to make the mileage a little more manageable.

BG

Trailweaver
01-19-2011, 03:42
You can call the Hiker Hostel and get them to tell you how the road is - they're on it almost daily.