PDA

View Full Version : Marmot Zeus

Snake Farm
01-16-2011, 17:01
Just bought a marmot zeus down jacket (800 fill) today at REI. I plan on layering it with thermals for my thru hike. Anyone else have any experience with this jacket?

BradMT
01-16-2011, 18:50
Yup... have the vest and jacket. What's the question?

Stir Fry
01-16-2011, 22:52
I have had the Zeus for 2 years. its great jacket and will keep you worm into the teens. You can layer if you want to but i have found I'm ok with just the jacket.

Snake Farm
01-16-2011, 23:35
Just wanted to see what you guys had to say about its warmth. The guy at REI said it was a good jacket, and the fact that it wieghs in at about 15 oz's is great! How's the whicking on it? And how is the water resistance? Thanks guys!

Stir Fry
01-17-2011, 01:44
Not a jacket to hike in, water resistance should not be an issue. Its not water proof so it whicks well. If you are going to be in the rain put a rain jacket on top. Its a great camp jacket, will keep you worm into the teens.

peakbagger
01-17-2011, 09:07
The cold weather conditions down south must be different then up north. Rarely does anyone hike with down in the whites in winter. Usually its fleece or wool, with a shell or a soft shell as down tends to soak up perspiration quickly and takes forever to dry out. Down is usually reserved for when hikers are stopped or at camp where it works great.

BradMT
01-17-2011, 09:39
Just wanted to see what you guys had to say about its warmth. The guy at REI said it was a good jacket, and the fact that it wieghs in at about 15 oz's is great! How's the whicking on it? And how is the water resistance? Thanks guys!

Works as well as any other down sweater. Should be nice for camp or breaks on the trail in cold, but I personally wouldn't hike in it. I can't imagine wearing anything other than a few light layers when hiking. You'll just get too warm (if I'm reading what you're writing correctly).

Outdoor76
01-18-2011, 12:30
Depending on how you regulate temps, this is typically a very warm jacket - quite a bit warmer than most down or synthetic sweaters from other brands. There aren't too many situations we've experienced where this jacket isn't an oven after 15 minutes while being active. As a camp jacket, its awesome. If you're looking for something to hike in, the Variant might be a better option - its quilted synthetic at the core and sleeves are M shell. Its a more active friendly jacket ..and still warm.

Joker4ink
01-18-2011, 21:55
Grizz, I've been looking at that jacket for a little while now. Unfortunately I haven't pulled the trigger yet. If it's anything like the other Marmot gear I own, it should be a solid piece of gear to last you years!

leaftye
01-18-2011, 22:05
If you can find one in your size, this is the one to buy:
New Balance Fugu (http://www.recreationoutlet.com/p-435-new-balance-fugu-down-jacket.aspx)

It's incredibly warm and a couple ounces lighter. Their stock seems to change quite often, so check frequently until you find your size.

Snake Farm
01-18-2011, 22:05
Joker4ink,

I havent been able to take it out into anything too cold as of yet. Last weekend though I wore it during some errands. I was driving with the window down going 45mph, no heat, could see my breath every time I breathed and felt tooooaaasty. Sorry I cant recall the actual temperature (Winter in NH). I should also mention that I had a cotton sweatshirt underneath it. I love this jacket, its very light (15oz), very warm, and superbly comfortable. I recommend you buy it if you cant find anything else to suit your needs. You can always return it if you're not satisfied.

Joker4ink
01-20-2011, 00:10
I've got $150 in gift cards to REI so I may have to try one on and go from there.