PDA

View Full Version : Hammock Wiki

titanium_hiker
12-28-2004, 14:35
I found this off risk's site...

doesn't look like it has been maintained very well.... I spent at least an hour removing spam...
Anyway, I am asking that you people with great hammock expertise would contribute to this wiki so that we can show more people the joys of hammocking :D

you can find it here:
http://www.imrisk.com/cgi-bin/hwiki.pl?HammockWiki

titanium_hiker

titanium_hiker
01-02-2005, 14:42
come on guys. Share your knowlege!!!

*bump*

titanium

flyfisher
01-06-2005, 14:49
I just saw that it has been spammed again (January 4) Any suggestions?

[email protected]

titanium_hiker
01-07-2005, 14:39
this really bugs me. I spent at least an hour fixing the front page once.

The jerks who completely wipe out the other stuff are the worst. Can you block IP addresses from the wiki?
Viewable from the 'recent changes thing'

the best prevention would be a lot of traffic HINT HINT HINT
titanium_hiker

titanium_hiker
01-07-2005, 14:44
oh, and risk: Since I fixed the front page, you should be able to to go back to an old revision of the site. my ip is usually 200.58.78.xxx but it was just 200.58.79.xxx

dsl102-184.globaldial.com is the spammer.

fixing pages as we speak...
makes you feel good, doesn't it.
titanium

SGT Rock
01-07-2005, 18:34
There is a way in a server to add an IP block, but that isn't always effective and I can'tremember exactly how to do it. The forum software we use is a lot more effective at that. The problem is you usually end up blocking IPs for others you don't intend to as well. Anyway...

I was hacked one time, it really sucked, so I feel for you. People that do these sorts of things are the same sort of people that tag folks homes and vandalize cars. They think that it is cute and like to pat themselves on the back for how smart it makes them feel.

titanium_hiker
01-07-2005, 18:56
Where are the Whiteblaze wiki(s) ?
did it die?

A possible suggestion for giving the Hammock wiki more exposure was to move onto this wiki. Don't tell me it's gone already!

titanium_hiker

SGT Rock
01-07-2005, 19:06
Well spam and hacker attacks were my main concern when the wiki idea was proposed. ATTroll saw the problem on the hammock wiki and suspended it's use:

I don't want to use the Wiki anymore after seeing what is happening to the HammockWiki that flyfisher is hosting. It is getting spamed bad.

titanium_hiker
01-07-2005, 22:00
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5739

Oh come on guys. Read what trikos has to say. Yeah there are some jerks out there, but if the community is more proactive, then maybe it can work. The failing of the Hammock wiki is that it doesn't look like many people know about it.
sigh...

umm... perhaps we could ask to start a section on the wikipedia. or something.
titanium_hiker

attroll
01-07-2005, 23:38
wbdent What is going to happen when these same people who are hacking into your hammock wiki hack the one on WhiteBlaze? I don't have the time and patients right now to deal with it. Titanium_hiker if you want to take charge of the WhiteBlaze Wiki then you can have at it. I am not trying to be rude or anything. It is just that WhiteBlaze itself keeps me busy enough. The WhiteBlaze Wiki is still there I just removed the thread that said where it was until the hammock wiki had become more stable.

titanium_hiker
01-08-2005, 10:41
Ohh....
hey At Troll the reason that jerks can get away with spamming is that there is not a large community of Hammock wikians who would take the time to contribute knowlege to the wiki. And the other thing is that even if someone whipes out the text of a page and replaces it with dodgy links, the wiki keeps previous revisions, so you can go back to the right version with out retyping everything.

The wiki here at whiteblaze sounds like it could be a great resource. We just have to get the people here excited, tell them what it is, how it works, and why it is such a good idea... get lots of people involved, then the wiki will take off.
It just seems the people are a little reluctant to new technology. Thats ok though. :)

titanium_hiker

ocourse
01-08-2005, 20:21
Well I played with the hammock wiki a bit - I never knew about wikis before. I made a little change just to keep things active. Gee, hope I don't offend anyone by adding to it.

flyfisher
01-08-2005, 23:12
Well I played with the hammock wiki a bit - I never knew about wikis before. I made a little change just to keep things active. Gee, hope I don't offend anyone by adding to it.

That is what it is there for.

(Hammock Wiki owner)

titanium_hiker
01-09-2005, 16:30
thanks for getting involved tamstan. Keep it up, invite all of your friends...
Yay!!!

titanium

titanium_hiker
02-05-2005, 18:16
Ok. As you can see, there have not been any malicious spamming attacks on the hammock wiki since janurary 13. I have been checking it for new stuff every 2nd day... (at least) so if there is any spam I should catch it. Not wanting to blow my own horn or anything, but I'd hate to see all my work going down the drain if no one adds thier knowlege to the wiki.

C'mon guys, add what you know. Tell us what ripstop you used. All you people with the hammocking bug, please come on over!

titanium_hiker

oldfivetango
02-06-2005, 10:01
There is a way in a server to add an IP block, but that isn't always effective and I can'tremember exactly how to do it. The forum software we use is a lot more effective at that. The problem is you usually end up blocking IPs for others you don't intend to as well. Anyway...

I was hacked one time, it really sucked, so I feel for you. People that do these sorts of things are the same sort of people that tag folks homes and vandalize cars. They think that it is cute and like to pat themselves on the back for how smart it makes them feel. Yup Sarge-once again you said it right-they think they are smart for
messing up some strangers computers.Imagine how smart I would feel if
only i could locate these perps and pour some sugar in their car's gas tanks?
Now that would make me a genius I am sure.Oh yeah.
Cheers to all,
Oldfivetango:bse

SGT Rock
02-06-2005, 12:40
Mythbusters busted the sugar in the gas tank thing. Doesn't work. A boot up the ass is always effective and projects the intended message.

titanium_hiker
02-06-2005, 14:58
lol. :)

Does Kill Spam sound threatening enough? heheh.

titanium_hiker

MadAussieInLondon
02-06-2005, 18:31
stick the ips or stuff like deny .cn in your .htaccess file in the root of your server

i have a 50k .htaccess file banning a lot of countries and ip addresses