PDA

View Full Version : New York City to Williamstown, Ma.

rainmaker
01-16-2011, 22:33
I plan to take Amtrak to NYC and Peter Pan Bus line to Williamstown when I begin my final AT section hike to Baxter later this year. Where is Penn Station in relation to the Ports Authority Bus Terminal and what is the easiest way to get there? I'll have about a three hour layover in the city before the bus leaves. Thanks.

Driver8
01-16-2011, 22:38
I plan to take Amtrak to NYC and Peter Pan Bus line to Williamstown when I begin my final AT section hike to Baxter later this year. Where is Penn Station in relation to the Ports Authority Bus Terminal and what is the easiest way to get there? I'll have about a three hour layover in the city before the bus leaves. Thanks.

Port Authority Bus Terminal is about a mile north of Penn Station. Easy bus ride, not a bad walk. Near 8th Avenue and 45th Street, or thereabouts. You can also catch a subway train up there from Penn.

Cosmo
01-17-2011, 13:24
Rainmaker,
If you need a ride to the trail once you are in Williamstown, let me know.

Cosmo

doheir
01-17-2011, 18:16
Exit Penn Station on the Eighth Avenue side. You'll be at about 33rd or 34th Street. Walk north on the west side of the street to 42nd Street, and you'll be at Port Authority. It's less than a mile's walk (20 blocks to a mile).

Doug

doheir
01-17-2011, 18:17
Reading my post, I may not have been specific enough. You'll be walking north on Eighth Avenue on the western side. Good luck.

Doug

Yahtzee
01-17-2011, 20:42
Holy smokes! Walk there. You have three hours. Take the subway to 72nd st, head for Centrail Park, say hi to Lennon, walk the park south to Columbus Circle hitting Sheep's Meadow along the way, see Lincoln Center, the Met, the Opera House, the Philharmonic, walk down 8th towards Times Square. If you have enough time, head to 46st and 11th and go to Daisy Mae's for some fantastic barbecue. Then head on up to the terminal at 41st and 8th.

That's just one idea. You can experience a bunch in two hours in NYC. Would be a great juxtaposition for the walk you are about to undertake.

Ender
01-17-2011, 21:20
It's .4 miles north on 8th avenue from Penn Station to Port authority. Or it's a single subway stop north on the ACE (blue) line. It's realy, really easy to get from one to the other.

If you need more specific info, or help while you're here, contact me via PM and let me know. I live here in the city. :sun

rainmaker
01-17-2011, 22:37
Thanks to all of for your advice and help. I'm really looking forward to this trip.

XCskiNYC
01-17-2011, 23:47
PM me if you want any help getting from Penn to PA Bus Station. Make sure to leave a half hour or so because they now sometimes check ID's and luggage so you can be on lines for a while to get your ticket and to get onto the bus. PA bus station is spread out so ask at one of the info booths for the location of the Peter Pan ticket counter.