PDA

View Full Version : saving money on food drops

Megapixel
01-16-2011, 23:20
Was wondering if anyone has used this subscribe and save option on amazon.com before for getting grocery items. I'm thinking of doing this for a few food drops on our thru hike, but the more i look at it the more i'm thinking to to add a few more food drops into the mix. The pricing on some items is extremely good. My only concern: expiration dates.

DapperD
01-16-2011, 23:49
Was wondering if anyone has used this subscribe and save option on amazon.com before for getting grocery items. I'm thinking of doing this for a few food drops on our thru hike, but the more i look at it the more i'm thinking to to add a few more food drops into the mix. The pricing on some items is extremely good. My only concern: expiration dates.I think the best thing is to buy most of your food as you go, but there is nothing wrong with buying items on sale if you can save money, and then have them shipped as food drops to yourself along the way. I think if you do this, however, it would be best to ship really desirable items, like good tasting freezedried meals and snacks, etc...things that maybe aren't as easily obtained on the trail from the stores that are found along the way. Don't send things like ramen noodles, rice, or mac and cheeze, etc...once you get hiking and become ravenous out there, your going to want some decent grub and three times as much:D

leaftye
01-17-2011, 00:31
All the camp food I need can be found at Costco or Protein Factory. Amazon is more expensive for the stuff I look for. The one thing it can be good for is getting stuff shipped to you in trail towns. If you have Amazon Prime, shipping is cheap.

mweinstone
01-17-2011, 01:10
the standard method is to have all your maildrops made up at home, boxes left open, and a support person you call anytime before a box is sent to have items added, subtracted or to delay or hasten the mailing of the box.and a list of preset mailing dates and packages in the event you are on shedual and need only whats allready in the boxes and dont call.

a good beginner box does not try to fully resupply the hiker. it augments his food. the components of the best box are three:

that the items are all light should the food be mostly uneeded. a common event.

that the food be cheap. in the event you change your mind about drops 200 mi in.

and that the box be filled with very little that can be bought in the town of pickup.

some of the best things to put in a drop are:
fudge
powdered whole milk
easter candy (at easter)
homemade anything
alcohol
tobbaco
jerky
gorp
emergen "c" packets
candles
apples