PDA

View Full Version : Them darned theives!

Snake Farm
01-16-2011, 23:43
Hey all, I am a bit concerned about theft on my first thru hike this spring. Has anyone seen or heard of people having food, money or gear stolen on the trail? The fact that im sleeping in a shelter with all my belongings out in the open for anyone to grab while im asleep is a bit unsettling. Im sure that 99% of hikers would never consider such a thing but that 1% could break my thru hike. So yeah, just wondering if anyone could give me a bit more info about theft along the trail.

sparky2000
01-16-2011, 23:49
My opinion is that driving a car is a lot more dangerous then hiking or going to war. Do u drive a car?

Fog Horn
01-16-2011, 23:53
Sleep with the pack touching you. Either under your legs or your head or wrap your wrist up in it. When you're out in the wild, you'll be surprised how in tune your body is with the night when you are sleeping, and any rustling of your bag should wake you up.

I disagree that driving a car is more dangerous than war.

Snake Farm
01-16-2011, 23:56
Sparky, im not worried about the dangers, im worried about having my gear stolen thus causing me to go home without having completed my thru. Like I said, I dont think its prevalent but just wanted to hear from some hikers if they know of any occurences.

And yes, I drive a truck.

DapperD
01-16-2011, 23:56
Hey all, I am a bit concerned about theft on my first thru hike this spring. Has anyone seen or heard of people having food, money or gear stolen on the trail? The fact that im sleeping in a shelter with all my belongings out in the open for anyone to grab while im asleep is a bit unsettling. Im sure that 99% of hikers would never consider such a thing but that 1% could break my thru hike. So yeah, just wondering if anyone could give me a bit more info about theft along the trail.I have read a few threads right here on Whiteblaze of pack thefts, gear being stolen (or drug off into the night by aggresive animals:D), hiker harassment, etc...so sure thefts occur-you betcha. I'll bet if someone looked into it, thru-hiker's could probably insure all their gear in case of theft just like anything else if they really wanted to:sun

Ender
01-16-2011, 23:57
It's very unlikely, but it has happened. If you're really worried about it, just stay in your tent with all your gear.

vamelungeon
01-17-2011, 00:04
That's it...don't stay in shelters, sleep in your tent with gear.

RGB
01-17-2011, 00:06
My opinion is that driving a car is a lot more dangerous then hiking or going to war.

You must be a sh***y driver.

Slo-go'en
01-17-2011, 00:15
The biggest threat of having your pack or food stolen is by a bear, not a human. At least while your out in the woods. Everyone has enough of thier own junk, they don't want any of yours! And if you think someone did steal something from you, it's really more likely you simply lost it.

Of course you will want to pay a little more attention while in town and while hitch hiking. Keep your valuables on your person. All in all, the chances of being struck by lighting or being hit by a bus crossing the street is magnitudes of order greater than having something stolen on a thru-hike.

Snake Farm
01-17-2011, 00:23
Good info everyone, thanks!

Guess i'll just have to leave my 42" hi def LCD TV at home for this trip :[

mweinstone
01-17-2011, 00:50
grizzz, when a theft occurs we are very organized.we re outfit a victim in many cases.the community of outfitters and volenteers and hikers and organizations and lawfolk is quite impressive. the trail has a crime rate so low that when it happens alot of folks are trying to help you in alot of ways. you need to hear the story of when serrial got his pack stolen and how ab barrakus and others had his back. we are a tightly knit community on the trail.we are most like submariners. everyone knows everyone and the chain of communication is almost instantainious. the only succesful pack theives are from nearby trail towns useing cars and praying mostly on trail days and hikers on or near roads. putting a pack inside a tent while its dark at traildays is the best solution. the theives walk thru at night and take packs outside tents only. and rarely at that. leaving a pack on the shoulder of a road for just a moment while peeing in the bushes is a bad idea. as is hiking around anyone you feel a bad vibe from. trust your gut. and relax. we dont sleep tied to our packs. shelters arent dangerous and pack theives are extremly rare. as rare as clear day on clingmans.lol.

Panzer1
01-17-2011, 03:38
never leave your pack unattended, even when you go into town to go into stores.

Panzer

BigHodag
01-17-2011, 10:50
Might be careful around Watuga Lake. Jack Straw (2010) had an unpleasant experience while there. (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=306498) Trail community came to Jack's aid, but the event was very demoralizing and affected his hike.

garlic08
01-17-2011, 12:09
The only instance of theft I heard about on my AT hike was someone leaving their pack in a public park in Duncannon and it disappeared. I won't comment on the brainpower it takes to leave your pack unattended in a town park for a few hours while you run your errands.

With a little common sense and situational awareness you'll be fine. If your pack is not welcome in a place of business (always ask unless they have grocery carts), find a fellow hiker and take turns guarding the packs while shopping. Or keep it in plain sight through a window, with every possible strap buckled around a stationary object. Keep valuables on your person in town.

Pete Moss
01-17-2011, 12:22
Most cases I have seen or ran into of packs disappearing or being ripped off, were kind of suspect. MOST cases seem to be someone trying to mooch at some level. Not saying it doesnt happen, but most cases are either people bumming, the pack was lost to an animal, or a simple misplacement by the owner of an item(this was someone swearing up and down a guy stole his camera and found it wrapped up in his sleeping bag).

Garlic hit it on the head, just use your common sense with regards to where and who you leave you stuff with, and all will be fine.

LoneRidgeRunner
01-17-2011, 12:27
I think it's highly unlikely..but if you catch someone....break both his legs right in the knee joints (it's very easy to break knees.), take his gear and boots far away and let the thief crawl out of the woods barefooted and with both his legs broke..I HATE thieves both on and off the trail!..Does it show?....LOL.. Bears are the biggest threat of stealing your gear... Break his legs too...LOL..

LoneRidgeRunner
01-17-2011, 12:33
The only instance of theft I heard about on my AT hike was someone leaving their pack in a public park in Duncannon and it disappeared. I won't comment on the brainpower it takes to leave your pack unattended in a town park for a few hours while you run your errands.

With a little common sense and situational awareness you'll be fine. If your pack is not welcome in a place of business (always ask unless they have grocery carts), find a fellow hiker and take turns guarding the packs while shopping. Or keep it in plain sight through a window, with every possible strap buckled around a stationary object. Keep valuables on your person in town.

Good advice Garlic...but if my pack isn't welcome in a place of business I won't patronize that business. I have left my pack outside diners while hitch hiking many years ago, but there was a well trained German Shepard named Baron Von Clyde guarding it. Many times people would be petting Clyde which he allowed and enjoyed but if they touched a pack he was guarding he would bite em in a heart beat.

Odd Man Out
01-17-2011, 12:38
If your pack is not welcome in a place of business (always ask unless they have grocery carts), find a fellow hiker and take turns guarding the packs while shopping

If the manager says packs are not allowed, my plan would be to say "I'm planning on spending lots of money in your store. Thank you so much for watching my pack while I shop". If they say no, ask nicely where the nearest store is.

LoneRidgeRunner
01-17-2011, 12:47
If the manager says packs are not allowed, my plan would be to say "I'm planning on spending lots of money in your store. Thank you so much for watching my pack while I shop". If they say no, ask nicely where the nearest store is.

Good plan. If a store owner wants your business he should allow your pack. If not, take your business elsewhere and let him know why you are leaving for another store.

garlic08
01-17-2011, 14:46

Sure, almost every business in a trail town is very welcoming to hikers and their packs, but it's just polite to ask first. There are a few cases in small stores and cafes where navigating with a large pack is hazardous and you can do some damage. Knock over an expensive end rack or bop a seated customer in the head and see how happy the owner stays with hikers. Most will recommend an indoor vestibule or safe corner. A town that comes to mind is Manchester Center, VT, where a little cafe had me stow my soaking wet pack in their vestibule and the EMS store directed me to a row of hooks in their vestibule. Both were very polite and helpful and I spent plenty of money there. I seem to remember a few little grocery stores with 24" wide aisles, too.

Cookerhiker
01-17-2011, 15:01
A 2004 would-be thruhiker had his pack stolen around Pearisburg. Don't know much more than what's in his last journal entry (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=71134).

johnnyblisters
01-17-2011, 18:45
Its sad how little trust we have in our fellow man. Although I would hate to have my stuff jacked, more than likely it wont happen, I hope.

Toolshed
01-17-2011, 18:53
A considerate hiker would take their pack OFF THEIR BACK before entering an establishment of any kind, thereby avoiding knocking over displays, leaving room for others to move past them, not blocking the employees view or just being a general nuisance. I've seen a few or more walk in with their packs on their back acting like they need a hometown hero welcome..
Showing a little respect and courtesy to these proprieters goes a long way in maintaining relationships in the hiking community.

As for theft it boils down to opportunity. Even an honest man can be driven to doing something regrettable when given enough opportunity.

Don't give no Opportunity and there won't be no Opportunity.

DapperD
01-17-2011, 19:04
A considerate hiker would take their pack OFF THEIR BACK before entering an establishment of any kind, thereby avoiding knocking over displays, leaving room for others to move past them, not blocking the employees view or just being a general nuisance.For what it's worth I just can't picture in my minds eye ANY hiker walking into an establishment with a giant thru-hiker's pack and knocking over end racks, etc...like a bull in a china shop:D

wrongway_08
01-17-2011, 19:08
Same as been said already, always keep it in sight. If you eat some place that doesnt want the pack inside (could be because of room, they are not tryn to be a-holes most of the time) - sit the pack at an area you can see throught he window while eating and tie it to something.

Best bet, bring a dog and you don't have to worry about it at all :)

Mrs Baggins
01-17-2011, 19:09
I keep my ID, credit/debit cards, cash, car keys, cell phone and camera in a fanny pack. That fanny pack goes into the foot of my sleeping bag at night. Sure someone could get my other gear, but I would still have the means to buy more or get back home. Replacing the gear would be a pain in the a** of course, but far easier than trying to get my identity and credit rating back.

Luddite
01-17-2011, 19:23
Don't give no Opportunity and there won't be no Opportunity.

Taking your pack off and leaving it outside or up front in the store is an opportunity. As long as you're careful you won't knock anything down. I don't think these store owners realize how much hiking gear costs and if a thru hiker were to have his/her pack stolen it could end their hike.

Toolshed
01-17-2011, 20:28
I keep my ID, credit/debit cards, cash, car keys, cell phone and camera in a fanny pack. That fanny pack goes into the foot of my sleeping bag at night. Sure someone could get my other gear, but I would still have the means to buy more or get back home. Replacing the gear would be a pain in the a** of course, but far easier than trying to get my identity and credit rating back.
Aaaaah.... so that's where you keep it......:D

double d
01-17-2011, 20:41
As others have said, never let your pack out of your sight, especially when its easy to let your guard down, such as in town shopping (or eating at a diner). I usually sleep with my pack in my tent at night, and I like to camp near shelters because I like to talk to other hikers at the end of a long day, but again, always use common sense and go from there.

Awol1970
01-17-2011, 20:43
Even an honest man can be driven to doing something regrettable when given enough opportunity.

I respectfully but emphatically disagree.:cool:

Mrs Baggins
01-17-2011, 20:45
Aaaaah.... so that's where you keep it......:D

And I'm a VERY light sleeper..........

whoopee doo i am pithy. and winters are long

Pommes
01-18-2011, 00:28
Sleep with the pack touching you. Either under your legs or your head or wrap your wrist up in it. When you're out in the wild, you'll be surprised how in tune your body is with the night when you are sleeping, and any rustling of your bag should wake you up.

The year i deployed with 1st Cav out of Ft Hood, TX we lost 38 soldiers. The year we got back we lost 22 to driving accidents. That figure does not include military spouses that were also in the vehicle. So i'd say driving is almost as dangerous as war.

DapperD
01-18-2011, 02:05
Hey all, I am a bit concerned about theft on my first thru hike this spring. Has anyone seen or heard of people having food, money or gear stolen on the trail? The fact that im sleeping in a shelter with all my belongings out in the open for anyone to grab while im asleep is a bit unsettling. Im sure that 99% of hikers would never consider such a thing but that 1% could break my thru hike. So yeah, just wondering if anyone could give me a bit more info about theft along the trail.Grizzz, as you see from other's who know, thefts do/have occured on or near the trail. But thefts occur everywhere. You have the good and bad. I have planned to do a thru-hike, and have all the gear I need. I know how long it took to assemble everything. And I know everything combined cost a pretty penny. So I understand why you are concerned, and you have the right to be. If you are super concerned about having your gear stolen while you sleep, then consider purchasing and using a two-person tent, like a MSR Hubba Hubba:http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/experience-series/hubba-hubba/product Yes it is going to weigh more than a solo tent, somewhat more, but you will then be able to bring all your gear inside with you, including your pack, and you will still have enough room to sleep comfortably and not be concerned about your gear being left outside the tent, say under the tent vestibule or out in the open where it will be vulnerable to someone stealing it in the middle of the night while you are asleep. As has been mentioned, hiking with other's and going into town together, say at least with one other person, so one can shop while the other keeps watch over the packs and gear, is a great way to prevent theft. It simplifies and negates a lot of the hassles involved with having to bring the packs into the stores, etc...but basically applying common sense by not leaving your pack anywhere that is not completely safe or by entrusting your pack to anyone who is not well known to you to the point where you wouldn't hesitate to do so will go far to prevent theft of your pack and gear. I have read other's threads and posts where this issue has been discussed before, and the best advice I have heard is someone stating that where they go, their pack goes. By following these basic principles, chances are you will be OK and you can avoid being "liberated" of your pack and gear thus prematurely ending your thru-hiking goals and aspirations. Good Luck

Bucherm
01-18-2011, 03:28
You must be a sh***y driver.

Run the numbers. If you're a US serviceman you're more likely to get killed on the road at home than while you're deployed in Iraq or Afghanistan.

(This isn't to knock the dangers of those war zones, but there's a reason why we had safety stand-downs before every 3 day weekend)

The Weasel
01-18-2011, 04:20
I mildly disagree with some of the foregoing...

I've seen a significant amount of theft or "lost" items along the AT and other trails that have mixed campsites open to many. It's sort of like being in a parking lot: You might leave your car unlocked, but why take the chance? And there are a fair amount of problems in towns, as well. My short list of my precautions:

1) I don't bring much that I can't do without if it sprouts feet.
2) Cash is in small amounts, usually under $50.
3) Plastic is ALWAYS credit card, not debit card, since unauthorized uses are easier to reverse (usually instantaneously upon finding out).
4) No electronics other than PDA.
5) Items 2-4 go in a small stuff bag inside my sleeping bag at night.
6) If in a shelter, pack is hung at my feet. In a campsite it is ALWAYS inside my tent or fly, and I generally "lock" my tent door with a twist tie. If I'm using a fly, I use part of my pack as a pillow.
7) In towns/stores/offices, I never leave my pack out of my personal possession. If the owner/manager does not allow them in the store (usually on grounds of cleanliness) , I ask them (politely) to reconsider in light of the baby seats, carriages and more that parents bring in and, in many stores (including some groceries) the presence of dogs. My pack always fits on a chair in a restaurant out of the way; those who question that have never been in an airport restaurant.

I once calculated that the replacement value of my pack and its contents, not counting electronics, was something north of $1,000. I don't take chances with that kind of loss.

TW

RGB
01-18-2011, 04:40
Its sad how little trust we have in our fellow man. Although I would hate to have my stuff jacked, more than likely it wont happen, I hope.

One of Martin Crane's (from Frasier) best quotes:

"The world would be a happier place if everybody remembered two little words: people stink."

I tend to agree.

garlic08
01-18-2011, 09:43
One of Martin Crane's (from Frasier) best quotes:

"The world would be a happier place if everybody remembered two little words: people stink."

I tend to agree.

Along those same lines, I saw a bumper sticker the other day: "The more people I get to know, the more I like my dog."

Fog Horn
01-18-2011, 10:27
The year i deployed with 1st Cav out of Ft Hood, TX we lost 38 soldiers. The year we got back we lost 22 to driving accidents. That figure does not include military spouses that were also in the vehicle. So i'd say driving is almost as dangerous as war.

I'm not going to argue with you on a thread about safety, but at war, for the most part, a person acts responsibly. We do our jobs the best way we know how. Back at home, soldiers drink and drive, drive irresponsibly, and even wrecklessly.

Rick500
01-18-2011, 11:11
If you are super concerned about having your gear stolen while you sleep, then consider purchasing and using a two-person tent, like a MSR Hubba Hubba:http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/experience-series/hubba-hubba/product Yes it is going to weigh more than a solo tent...

My pack and I comfortably fit in my Tarptent Moment, as well.

Snake Farm
01-18-2011, 18:25
Thanks for the info everyone, especially Dapper. I knew to never leave my pack out of sight, was just wondering if theft was prevalent on the trail. I think im just gonna stuff it in my eureka solitaire...somehow... it'll be my snuggle buddy I guess, maybe I wont get so home sick haha!

YoungMoose
01-18-2011, 18:32

i agree with this about how you are more in tune. I know i am by when i set my alarm on my watch in regualr daily life i never wake up to it but in the woods i instantly wake up to it.

Toolshed
01-18-2011, 19:07
Taking your pack off and leaving it outside or up front in the store is an opportunity. As long as you're careful you won't knock anything down. I don't think these store owners realize how much hiking gear costs and if a thru hiker were to have his/her pack stolen it could end their hike.

For what it's worth I just can't picture in my minds eye ANY hiker walking into an establishment with a giant thru-hiker's pack ....:D

Hmmm..... Luddite does.......:sun

Bronk
01-19-2011, 06:58
In 2002 I met a guy who tripped and fell off the trail near Clingman's Dome and dislocated his shoulder...he left his pack on side of the trail in plain view and walked down to newfound gap and made his way to a hospital...several days later when he was released he hiked back up and his pack was still there undisturbed. HOWEVER, this was in the spring before the road to Clingman's Dome had opened. Had there been bazillions of tourists walking by every day it probably would have disppeared.

One time while hiking at a state park in Florida I leaned my pack up against a tree near a road and walked 10 minutes back to my car and then drove to pick up my pack...of course when I got there it was gone. It was an expensive mistake.

Generally though, nobody wants to steal more weight to carry. I have never worried about my gear unless I was close to a road or in town. If you got caught stealing something on the trail your name would be mud and word would travel very fast.

I had a wallet that had a nylon cord so I could hang it around my neck...in that I kept cash, credit card, driver's license, headlamp (petzel zipka), and a lighter...theory being if I were ever separated from my pack I would have a basic emergency kit and the funds to regroup.

DesertMTB
01-19-2011, 10:20
Keep close hold of your food! A thru-hiker ate my entire large order of curly fries from Arby's when I was staying at Kincora Hostel this past spring. The offender was named Hiker Trash. He was nice enough not to eat my sandwhich, but left the bag open.