PDA

View Full Version : camp shoes

strollingalong
01-16-2011, 23:54
i hate crocs. they might be light. they might prevent smell. they might be cheap if you buy fake ones.

but I'm sure as hell not going to wear the retarded looking things.

good camp shoe ideas?

Hooch
01-17-2011, 00:05
It's a shame you can't get past looks and concentrate more on the function and comfort of them. But, to each their own. Get some good old fashioned flip-flops from the dollar store.

Fog Horn
01-17-2011, 00:11
Flip flops suck in the mud. When you pick out camp shoes though, you might want to consider ones that can double as shower shoes, like flip flops or crocs. I am sorry I don't have any more suggestions, I plan on using crocs.

To be perfectly honest, I plan on looking even more ridiculous than just wearing them, I plan to make a fool of myself by bringing my scale into the crocs store and seeing if they have any models less than eight ounces, lol.

strollingalong
01-17-2011, 00:12
it's a shame that people that wear crocs, wear crocs

Rambler
01-17-2011, 00:21
No one is really going to care what you wear on your feet, and crocs are as common as apple pie.
Okay, be really hip and hike in these:

Vibram FiveFingers KSO Trek Multisport Shoes -

DapperD
01-17-2011, 00:23
i hate crocs. they might be light. they might prevent smell. they might be cheap if you buy fake ones.

good camp shoe ideas?Walmart sneakers. Good for in town also.

Sierra Echo
01-17-2011, 00:25
I wear my beloved Teva sandals.

Trailryder42
01-17-2011, 00:28
After reading all the hype about Crocs I went to try on a few pairs. I can't seem to keep them on my feet. That goofy pivoting heel strap won't stay in place.

Flip flips are too light. Don't like having to grip the shoe with my toes to keep them on.

I've got some water shoes I may think about using.

01-17-2011, 00:29
Teva or cheaper brands. Usually made of foam and really light

strollingalong
01-17-2011, 00:34
apple pie sucks

Roland
01-17-2011, 07:11

good camp shoe ideas?

Being close-minded can limit your options.

You might try these. (http://www.cabelas.com/mens-hip-boots-muck-8482-woody-bayou-hip-boots.shtml?type=product&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleBaseUSA&WT.z_mc_id1=729161&rid=40&mr:trackingCode=C770D0CB-958E-DF11-A0C8-002219318F67&mr:referralID=NA) They double as water shoes. :D

Helios
01-17-2011, 07:18
I wear my beloved Teva sandals.

Ditto! My Teva's are awesome. Not just for camp shoes, but I've hike many a mile in them. With a good liner and wool sock, I was out 2 weekends ago in temps around 30F with my Teva's - for 2 1/2 days with out issue. NO blisters. Love them!

bigcranky
01-17-2011, 10:04
Troll, anyone?

Old Hiker
01-17-2011, 10:28
Troll, anyone?

Especially the remarks about apple pie. Before you know it, he'll be trashing Mom and the American way of life.

Crocs for me.

Lone Wolf
01-17-2011, 10:32

good camp shoe ideas?

agree. i just wear the shoes i wore all day just leave them untied and loose. no need for "camp shoes"

jerseydave
01-17-2011, 10:38
Troll, anyone?

If not, oughtta be

ClassY
01-17-2011, 11:21
I second the hideous looking crocs.
I was planning on bringing my nike livestrongs on my hike, but they are very heavy..

I almost gave into crocs, but I will go w vibrim five fingers as well.
You should check then out. Kinda expensive, but hopefully you don't think they look retarded.
I also wouldn't get the fancy hiking ones. Get the lighter, more functional pair.

Good luck!!
~ClassY

Big Dawg
01-17-2011, 11:48
Troll, anyone?

agree.......

Tinker
01-17-2011, 11:58
agree. i just wear the shoes i wore all day just leave them untied and loose. no need for "camp shoes"

Absolute ditto!

If the shoes you're hiking in aren't comfortable at the end of the day it should make you think that you should be wearing something else.

Shoes get wet? get a pair of waterproof socks for wear around camp.
Stephenson Warmlite makes a nice pair of vapor barrier socks which have a nice soft finish. They are double thickness polyurethane coated stretch nylon tricot with the poly sides facing each other, leaving the soft sides against you and your feet. Look here: www.warmlite.com (http://www.warmlite.com) .

I have also used thin neoprene socks (some folks are allergic), and Sealskinz socks. Best part is that you can not only use them around camp but you can use them on the trail on wet days to keep your feet clean (no, they won't be 100% dry, but the dampness will at least be from your feet and not some fetid swamp water ;)).

lori
01-17-2011, 12:09
Croc knockoffs around here at the local drugstore chain come in several styles - the big clog type, the conforming water shoe kind, and something that looks more like a birkenstock. All made of the same hydrophobic and light plastic.

I got the croc type and wear primaloft hot socks in them around camp. Mmmm, comfort. If I don't bring them, I just loosen the laces of the trailrunners. Used to use these light slip ons, felt every rock and pine cone through the sole. Tried flip flops, tore out toe webbing. Tried Tevas, got sick of shaking junk out from under my foot, stubbed my toe on granite. I'll still take Tevas once in a while tho.

Five fingers... ah, they're okay, but again, pointy objects get between the toes, and you're suffering. And you have to get the expensive toe socks to go with the expensive toe shoes, if you want warmth.

Thought about sticking my feet in a couple trolls, figured the hot air would be insulating, then figured crocs were cheaper and lighter...

IceAge
01-17-2011, 12:10
Aqua Socks

Wise Old Owl
01-17-2011, 12:22
You don't need camp shoes or sandals - extra weight.

Ender
01-17-2011, 12:24
I've used these for years:
http://www.sprintaquatics.com/prodinfo.asp?number=901

They're ugly, sure. But at 1.5 ounces a pair they work fine for me. Also, they have impressive grip in the wet, I've used them for crossing streams and they grip better than my hiking boots. They're much more durable than you'd expect. I had a single pair last me the entire time on my PCT hike which was the first half of the trail, about 1000 miles, and would have lasted the whole length of the trail most likely. And if it hadn't, it's only $5 to replace.

Bumpa
01-17-2011, 12:24
Being close-minded can limit your options.

You might try these. (http://www.cabelas.com/mens-hip-boots-muck-8482-woody-bayou-hip-boots.shtml?type=product&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleBaseUSA&WT.z_mc_id1=729161&rid=40&mr:trackingCode=C770D0CB-958E-DF11-A0C8-002219318F67&mr:referralID=NA) They double as water shoes. :D

LOL....I spit coffee out through my nose :p

strollingalong
01-17-2011, 12:57
i was just pointing out that just because most everyone eats apple pie doesn't mean it's any good. I prefer many a pie over apple. Seems like a lot of people agree that crocs are a hideous fashion victim's choice.

leg warmers did what they were supposed to and kept your legs warm.

Luddite
01-17-2011, 13:03

good camp shoe ideas?

I wear my crocs everywhere but the trail. They are ugly, but who cares? They aren't as light as you might think though. I think they weight around 13 or 14 oz.

Flip flops would be the lightest.

lori
01-17-2011, 13:08
If you take the name branded Crocs, they're heavier than the off brand seven dollar cheapos, which are usually 7-8 oz.

I am anything but a fashionista in the first place. Clothing is purchased off clearance racks - I DO NOT CARE if that hot pink shirt doesn't match the khaki green nylon pants, it must be COMFORTABLE and up to the task of helping me stay warm and dry. If you want to be Stylish Hiker, feel free, there's plenty of Patagucci and North Face I left in the store for you.

I save the matching clothes for the job interviews, dates, social events and business meetings that happen when I'm not hiking.

daddytwosticks
01-17-2011, 14:13
Got a pair of cheap sandal-thingies from the drug store. Heavier than flip-flops but lighter than croc knock-offs. :)

IceAge
01-17-2011, 15:43
I've used these for years:
http://www.sprintaquatics.com/prodinfo.asp?number=901

They're ugly, sure. But at 1.5 ounces a pair they work fine for me. Also, they have impressive grip in the wet, I've used them for crossing streams and they grip better than my hiking boots. They're much more durable than you'd expect. I had a single pair last me the entire time on my PCT hike which was the first half of the trail, about 1000 miles, and would have lasted the whole length of the trail most likely. And if it hadn't, it's only $5 to replace.

Those are just like Aqua Socks, but a little uglier

sixguns01
01-17-2011, 19:08
Crocs are ugly but they work well for camp. Pretty light and becomes my luxury item

hikerboy57
01-17-2011, 19:25
the only prroblem with flip flops are when its chilly at night, socks and flipflpos are a bit awkward. I switched to Tevas

Ender
01-17-2011, 21:22
Those are just like Aqua Socks, but a little uglier

And to be fair, lighter weight. :sun

excuses
01-17-2011, 21:43
Ender, do those mesh shoes run alittle big? I wear a 13 and they don't go up that high?

Big Dawg
01-17-2011, 21:57
I use croc slides,, like a flip flop but wraps over the top of foot instead of in between toes. Not as bulky/heavy as regular crocs, but gives ample support in camp, and packs up small. I wear leather boots to hike in, so using them as camp shoes is not feasible. I've tried trail runners as hiking shoes before, w/ a thought of using them in camp too, but learned my big frame needs mid-ankle boots for hiking.

BTW, I use regular crocs around town in my daily life. I don't see the big deal. They're comfy, and I could care less about what other people thought regarding what my feet were wearing. I got over that years ago. I leave that kind of thinking to my pre-teen nieces.:rolleyes:

kolokolo
01-17-2011, 22:07
It makes sense to me that you might need camp shoes if you hike in leather boots - that's one reason I bought the lighter trail runner-type shoes.

Still, sometimes it seems like it would be nice to have a really soft, loose, comfortable pair of shoes for camp. I can't justify the weight, though.

Ender
01-19-2011, 07:51
Ender, do those mesh shoes run alittle big? I wear a 13 and they don't go up that high?

A little, but not too much. You'd probably be able to fit in, but it would be snug.

fredmugs
01-19-2011, 10:44
First time I hiked in Maine I had regular cheap flip flops and at the first knee high stream I forded the current ripped one of them right off my foot and down the river it went.

Now I wear Crocs mostly because of the thickness of them. After a 20 mile day I don't want to be walking around camp with those thin flip flops and I hate having to stick my toes in there. I may have hiked close to 10 of the miles in SNP in my Crocs.