PDA

View Full Version : Aqua Mira freezing

Helios
01-17-2011, 06:38
Just curious, as I'm heading out this weekend, at what temps would Aqua Mira freeze?

Tagless
01-17-2011, 09:16
Joe,

This info from an Aqua Mira Q and A implies that it CAN freeze, but without any negative effect...

10. Does freezing effect AQUAMIRA? No. Aquamira Water Treatment Drops are “freeze-thaw
stable”.

During our 09 AT thru hike, my wife and I saw days below freezing (in the 20's) and never had a problem with Aqua Mira freezing. As a precaution, on a super cold day you could carry it in a pocket. Body heat should prevent any freezing issues

Wise Old Owl
01-17-2011, 09:19
use the tabs -then its not an issue, 32 degrees Aqua mira is water with a high concentration of clorine.

42 degees at high altitiude.

bigcranky
01-17-2011, 10:00
I had Aqua Mira freeze once, and it broke the container, which then leaked in my pants pocket and the acid ate through the ziploc baggie and then the pants fabric. Just FYI.

Helios
01-17-2011, 11:01
I had Aqua Mira freeze once, and it broke the container, which then leaked in my pants pocket and the acid ate through the ziploc baggie and then the pants fabric. Just FYI.

What temps were you in when this happened?

Bags4266
01-17-2011, 11:37
Oh boy!!! I'm expecting some in the mail in the next few days.

bigcranky
01-17-2011, 16:30
What temps were you in when this happened?

Single digits overnight, which is when it froze. Then it thawed in my pants pocket, with sub-optimal results.

mad4scrapping
01-17-2011, 20:32
"sub-optimal results". LOL!

bigcranky
01-17-2011, 21:00
"sub-optimal results". LOL!

Sorry, my dad was an engineer. Some of it rubbed off.

Roche
01-17-2011, 21:01
As a precaution, on a super cold day you could carry it in a pocket. Body heat should prevent any freezing issues

Great advice - I now keep mine in a shirt pocket after having problems squeezing the bottle in the cold weather.

QiWiz
01-17-2011, 21:27
use the tabs -then its not an issue, 32 degrees Aqua mira is water with a high concentration of clorine.

Aqua Mira makes chlorine dioxide, not the same as bleach, even though it sounds like it would be similar. Have used it in the 20's for sure without having it solidify (in Ohio and at altitude out west ~10,000 feet). Keep in pocket and by you inside sleeping bag to be on the safe side. I have found that the tablets (MicroPur and others) do not dissolve easily or quickly in cold water, hence my preference for Aqua Mira. Just my 2 sense . . . HYOH :D

Wise Old Owl
01-17-2011, 21:53
uhh OK Aqua Mira makes tabs... boil the water... what?

Luddite
01-17-2011, 21:59

You're saying Aquamira turns into chlorine when it gets cold enough?

Thoreau-going
01-17-2011, 23:51
On my last hike I had my AM in my hip belt pocket and temps were hovering near 20 all day. They were frozen enough that I couldn't squeeze any drops out. I put them next to my skin (won't tell you where) for 5 minutes and they worked okay.

Wise Old Owl
01-18-2011, 00:01
You're saying Aquamira turns into chlorine when it gets cold enough?

no not even close!

Aqua Mira is highly concentrated chlorine that is stablized or (BUFFERED), yet its base is water. So if it gets cold enough it freezes at 32.

Think Liquid shock used in pools.

Hikerhead
01-18-2011, 00:18
Guess I need to check mine. I haven't looked at my pack since the single digit overnighter last weekend.

Luddite
01-18-2011, 00:54
no not even close!

Aqua Mira is highly concentrated chlorine that is stablized or (BUFFERED), yet its base is water. So if it gets cold enough it freezes at 32.

Think Liquid shock used in pools.

I was just reading this on BPL.

3. Is there chlorine in chlorine dioxide?
No, there is no chlorine in chlorine dioxide. Although chlorine dioxide has the word chlorine in its name, the two chemicals have completely different chemical structures. The additional oxygen atom radically changes the molecule and creates completely different chemical behaviors and by-products. Their differences are as profound as those between hydrogen, the explosive gas, and hydrogen combined with oxygen, which creates dihydrogen oxide—commonly called water.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/aquamira_mcnett.html

Snake Farm
01-18-2011, 20:59

Really sounds like something good to ingest huh?

rockytop7
01-19-2011, 00:38
The bigger issue is how effective it is at cold temps. Water close to freezing will take up to 4 hours to neutralize cysts, according to packaging.