PDA

View Full Version : How safe is the trail?

C Seeker
01-17-2011, 11:06
How safe is the trail?

I am planning on hiking the AT this 2011 season at age 17-18 and have a good chance of doing it alone. I have always found the trail to be safer than a town/city. But my boyfriend is friends with a few cops and they state that they will not step on the trail unless they have a gun on them. Mainly because of the accidents that have happened on the trail that most people don't know about.

I am not sure if I should bring a weapon of choice (large knife, tazer, spray, ect) on the trail with me, or should I leave it at home and save weight. What is your thoughts on the trail safety?:confused:

Fog Horn
01-17-2011, 11:16
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=61717

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=68139&highlight=safety

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=67863&highlight=safety

A couple of threads have already covered this in depth.

In my personal experience, whenever someone says something like "oh we all don't do this because of a huge danger that the public isn't aware of" they tend to be fibbing to impress someone. My dad does it all the time at the bar. Most law enforcement officials don't step foot anywhere without a gun.

Also, with the thousands of people on the trail every year, I find it difficult to believe that there is a heavy danger out there that cowers police officers and yet the hiker community is unaware of it.

If it makes you feel better to have a weapon of choice, then bring it. Just make sure you know how to use it safely and have looked up the laws for each individual state regarding weapon carry.

Pedaling Fool
01-17-2011, 11:17
Safe as safe can be, go for it. If you want to carry a weapon get training or the weapon is useless.

SweetestFetus
01-17-2011, 11:22
Hike with a partner, or take a knife if it makes you feel better. However, I think you'll be safer walking the trail for six months than you would be walking down a big city street for a couple hours. That's just my opinion, though.

One of my cowokers thru-hiked the trail at age 18 and said it was one of the best experiences of her life. Go confidently and make the most of it.

nitegaunt
01-17-2011, 11:26
If it were that dangerous we'd all be starting thread on self-defense. Most predatory people aren't going to go hiking. Of the attacks I've heard of, I think all of them were near towns and roads. You know, those places littered with beer cans that you see for a little while before/after you cross a road. I can understand a solo female hiker being a little worried, though. So be smart and if you carry a weapon make it one that's easy to reach. But don't let other people's fears keep you from living the life you want to live. Whether on or off the trail.

LoneRidgeRunner
01-17-2011, 11:44
I carry a big knife, but not because the trail is dangerous. The biggest danger other than Lyme Disease carrying ticks may be unattended dogs who have no trail manners. That's the main reason I carry the knife, because I will decapitate a dog right in front of the owner before I will let it bite me. As far as human trouble makers go, maybe just the owner of the dog I just killed for trying to eat me, but that's just his problem. (He should teach it some manners or keep it under his control or both.) Yes..I have been charged by an ill mannered dog on the trail once (a German Shepard). Fortunately for the dog his owner yelled at the dog when it was 4 feet away and the dog stopped, which saved the dog's life because my big buck knife was out and ready. As far as human trouble makers, only the drunks who are too lazy to get more than a few hundred yards from the roads could be a problem. If a cop is scared to hike without a gun he shouldn't be a cop...LOL...I have a gun only when I used to back pack and deer hunt together.

swamp dawg
01-17-2011, 11:53
Try to hook up with a few hiker who hike about the same speed as you hike. During the hiking season there are lots of folks moving north. You can judge thoes folks that seem to move at your pace and this my vary over the first few weeks. Never hike alone and use the advice posted about what to watch for near roads etc. You can and will fall somewhere along your journey so a partner can help if needed, just be safe and enjoy your journey. Life is good on the trail.

jeremesh
01-17-2011, 11:55
I carry a big knife, but not because the trail is dangerous. The biggest danger other than Lyme Disease carrying ticks may be unattended dogs who have no trail manners. That's the main reason I carry the knife, because I will decapitate a dog right in front of the owner before I will let it bite me. As far as human trouble makers go, maybe just the owner of the dog I just killed for trying to eat me, but that's just his problem. (He should teach it some manners or keep it under his control or both.) Yes..I have been charged by an ill mannered dog on the trail once (a German Shepard). Fortunately for the dog his owner yelled at the dog when it was 4 feet away and the dog stopped, which saved the dog's life because my big buck knife was out and ready. As far as human trouble makers, only the drunks who are too lazy to get more than a few hundred yards from the roads could be a problem. If a cop is scared to hike without a gun he shouldn't be a cop...LOL...I have a gun only when I used to back pack and deer hunt together.

Glad I'm not the only one that is annoyed by charging dogs... what infuriates me even more is after a tooth bared charge when the owner says.. oh he wont hurt you, he just wants to play!!

Wise Old Owl
01-17-2011, 12:04
lions, tigers, and bears.... You have nothing to fear, bring a small sharp knife for cutting open freeze dried meals - its a tool- not a weapon. Your cop friends are over the top.

LOL Lone Ridge Runner... are you an animal hater? wow.

Tinker
01-17-2011, 12:10
Carry an AK-47, a bazooka, or an RPG and you should be safe enough :D.

(Or - just be careful whom you befriend, and once you find someone (or ones) that you can trust, keep them around near road crossings and in town.

The ratio of creeps/good people is markedly lower on the trail than it is in towns/cities. The reason? Most creeps are too lazy to hike and can find "targets" closer to home.

LoneRidgeRunner
01-17-2011, 12:11
Glad I'm not the only one that is annoyed by charging dogs... what infuriates me even more is after a tooth bared charge when the owner says.. oh he wont hurt you, he just wants to play!!

Yep...the owner of that German Shepard I referred to wanted to "mouth off" a little because I pulled that big knife on his dog but ALL he did was run his mouth for a few seconds. I told him "Teach the dog some manners or keep it leashed or leave it at home before I or someone else kills the thing and if it's me there's nothing you can do about it." At the time I was much younger than I am now, was a practicing martial artist and a second degree black belt with a big razor sharp buck knife in my hand! All he knew though was the big knife but he was in for a rude awakening had he tried to back up his threats...LOL..
I love dogs (dogs with manners) myself and until 13 years ago I had one living with me most of my life but my dogs all had manners. And large dogs charging with bared teeth and snarling to beat the band are NOT wanting to play. They are wanting to kill or be killed.

LoneRidgeRunner
01-17-2011, 12:14
lions, tigers, and bears.... You have nothing to fear, bring a small sharp knife for cutting open freeze dried meals - its a tool- not a weapon. Your cop friends are over the top.

LOL Lone Ridge Runner... are you an animal hater? wow.

NOPE!! I LOVE dogs, when they have manners. I have had dogs living with me most of my life until 13 years ago when my Collie died.
I also love deer..They're delicious.

JaxHiker
01-17-2011, 12:24
lions, tigers, and bears....
Frankly I'm sick and tired of running into lions and tigers. They have no place on the trail. :mad:

Not nearly as effective as a Dillon Aero M134 mini-gun. It's hard to beat a good Gatling gun.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQP4-n0ctzh_nrRUR_1Cb3fB4PskDkJ193SOhdEzlOwy5AswhOi

I can see having some trepidation as a 17-18-y-o female hiking alone. While I think the trail is a pretty safe place if you were my daughter I'd have you outfitted with OC spray and the knowledge to use it. I recommend the stuff from Spitfire (http://spitfirepepperspray.stores.yahoo.net/). Get a couple of the practice refills and you can get some familiarity using it w/o wasting actual pepper spray. It costs $15. I think the refills are about $6-$7.

sherrill
01-17-2011, 12:25
All good advice.

However, let me say, beware of the skunks and porcupines. They're bad, and they know it. :D

jeremesh
01-17-2011, 12:28
[QUOTE=JaxHiker;1096181]Frankly I'm sick and tired of running into lions and tigers. They have no place on the trail. :mad:

Not nearly as effective as a Dillon Aero M134 mini-gun. It's hard to beat a good Gatling gun.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQP4-n0ctzh_nrRUR_1Cb3fB4PskDkJ193SOhdEzlOwy5AswhOi

But do they make this in titanium??

XCountry
01-17-2011, 12:32
C Seeker, I have been a police officer for almost 20 years with one of the larger departments in the southeast. I have to agree with Wise Old Owl on this one. Also, many police officers believe that a firearm is necessary regardless of the area traveled. I am the same and I carry a pistol with me everywhere, including church. Whether this is good or bad, right or wrong, can be left to another discussion.

The reality is that the trail is incredibly safe. Read the different safety threads and you will get some good ideas. They include: traveling with a partner(s), situational awareness, never letting someone who makes you feel uncomfortable know you are traveling alone, never camp near roads and using good common sense.

Interestingly, the small pistol that is in my pocket at the start of many of my hikes usually ends up in my pack after a day or so, particularly when it is hot and I am sweating. I find myself relying on the general safety techniques mentioned above. If you do decide to carry a firearm, take SweetestFetus' advice seriously and get really good training. A firearm that is not readily available, you are not properly trained and determined to use, is useless.

Have fun and don't let fears stop you from living your life to the fullest. You are on the right track. You got information from your boyfriend that caused concern and sought advice from a good source. Keep up the work and you will be fine.

Todd0060
01-17-2011, 18:11
Just my opinion, but there is no way a woman should be out there alone. Maybe if you are well trained and I am even sure there are women out there that could knock me out, but it's just not a good idea for a young woman of 17-18 to be out there alone. I guess that's the father in me, but the buddy system is a must and you should take a self defense course and carry something to defend yourself. I am thinking of going back alone in the future myself, but for sure I will have to bring something, if even pepper spray for bears in certain parts or human nut jobs anywhere. I am not an expert on the trail by any means and I have only done 1 section so far and thoroughly enjoyed it and felt safe the whole way. We were in a group of 5 and we met some of the nicest people on the trail including trail angels and the culture there was super and you will never forget the experience. But it just takes one nut case just one moment for you to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I did see some solo women hikers and others in pairs and they seemed safe, but a young woman alone could not be a good idea. Fortunately most of the nut cases are in the city as someone mentioned, but I just like staying on the safe side of things in general and things can turn ugly in an instant. Have fun, but be safe and safety first.

wrongway_08
01-17-2011, 19:14
Don't worry, its safe.

The worse thing that can happen is some sick in the head person comes up to your tent at night, while you are sound asleep - dreaming of tomorrows sunrise, pulls out a gun and shoots you dead through the tent.

But, that didn't happen to me or anyone I know on my thru-hike sooooooooo ..... use your head while out there and you will be fine ............ Happy dreaming :)

sheepdog
01-17-2011, 19:17
Don't worry, its safe.

The worse thing that can happen is some sick in the head person comes up to your tent at night, while you are sound asleep - dreaming of tomorrows sunrise, pulls out a gun and shoots you dead through the tent.

But, that didn't happen to me or anyone I know on my thru-hike sooooooooo ..... use your head while out there and you will be fine ............ Happy dreaming :)
a good clean head shot??? lots worse than that can happen

wrongway_08
01-17-2011, 19:36
a good clean head shot??? lots worse than that can happen

True that ..... you know if the guys screwed up in the head, his aim wouldn't be that good.

You'll probably get a few rounds stuck in ya, but not placed well enough for you to miss the morning sunrise BUT placed good enough you'll get a cool chopper ride out of it. Hey, this really doesnt end up sounding toooo bad, a sunrise, someone else carrys your pack out for you and a free chopper ride! :sun

Oh yea and your hit count would be through the roof on your Trail Journal!!!!!!!

Luddite
01-17-2011, 19:40

Who would be dumb enough to carry an AK-47 on the trail?? The AK-74 is almost 3 pounds lighter! ;)

TheChop
01-17-2011, 20:05

Had an experience with a woman who had a wolf/dog hybrid in GSNP. The dog/wolf was clearly not happy with hikers around and she was completely oblivious. Very few things annoy me more than dog owners who don't realize that not everyone else is as comfortable around their pet as they are and don't realize their pet is not as comfortable around everyone else as they are around the owner.

turtle fast
01-17-2011, 20:14
In reality, the trail is relatively safe. Thousands of hikers use the trail without firearms, bazookas, ninja weapons or Chuck Norris. Though safe, you do have to use common sense and be aware of potential problems while hiking. While the threat from a crazy serial killer is quite low, you do have to be aware of sports type injuries that could happen, dehydration, ticks, mosquitoes, dogs, and other things. However most of these things are preventable. Like any sport you have some risk, and with thousands of hikers on the trail these injuries and risks are low.

Ashevillian
01-17-2011, 20:41
I’ve lived in Western NC for a long time. We certainly have our share of rednecks. There are a few places I still carry a gun when I go fly fishing, but what I have found is that the more unsavory locals don’t bother to get too far from their 4x4 or case of PBR. I’ve hiked much of the Mountains to Sea, AT and other trails like the Art Loeb, etc. and have never run into any trouble. It seems like the locals don’t hang out much on the trails because it’s inconvenient. I’m not saying that something can’t happen, but it’s pretty rare. Be safe, hike in pairs when you can, be more careful around road crossings and towns. If you are real bugged out buy a gun, don’t worry about the restrictions as long as you don’t go flashing it around unnecessarily.

chief
01-17-2011, 20:46
How safe is the trail?

I am planning on hiking the AT this 2011 season at age 17-18 and have a good chance of doing it alone. I have always found the trail to be safer than a town/city. But my boyfriend is friends with a few cops and they state that they will not step on the trail unless they have a gun on them. Mainly because of the accidents that have happened on the trail that most people don't know about.

I am not sure if I should bring a weapon of choice (large knife, tazer, spray, ect) on the trail with me, or should I leave it at home and save weight. What is your thoughts on the trail safety?:confused:
Every step on the AT is rife with danger. You could fall and break bones, you could get raped/killed by a deranged hiker/wannabe, you could get killed/eaten by a bear or you could step on and be bitten by a venomous snake. Stay home and let you boyfriend protect you (after all, he does know a cop or two).

msujay
01-17-2011, 21:06
How safe is the trail?

Dunno...are you a Blood or Crip?

Stir Fry
01-17-2011, 22:14
If a cop and I do not carry a gun on the trail. Its safer then the school you just graduated from.

Todd0060
01-18-2011, 01:06
C Seeker, maybe something like this group could help you team up and be safe.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=335539

Snoring Sarge
01-18-2011, 01:43
If you feel you need self protect then you need it. Just be proficient with it and understand when you can and can not use it.

DapperD
01-18-2011, 02:51
How safe is the trail?

I am not sure if I should bring a weapon of choice (large knife, tazer, spray, ect) on the trail with me, or should I leave it at home and save weight. What is your thoughts on the trail safety?:confused:As even the Appalachian Trail Conference have stated in their publications, violent major crimes have occured on the AT over the course of it's history. Supposedly they are a very very small percent when compared to the amount of people who use and frequent the trail every year. Lesser crimes of theft, harrassment, assault, vandalism, etc...occur occasionally and maybe this is what your boyfriend and his friends are refering to:-? As other's have said, since they are law enforcement, they are trained regularly in the use and carry of their weapons, and so they would choose to not go onto the AT unarmed. I don't know too much in regards to the laws regarding concealed carry for a civilian on the AT, as they differ from state to state. I know you didn't mention you yourself were considering taking a firearm, but you mentioned other items, some which possibly could be illegal. I think your best bet would be to find other's whom you could hike along with. They say if you start your hike in Georgia in March or April there will be many other's starting everyday that you will see and can meet up with. As far as bringing large knives and tasers, it would probably be better to leave them at home.

abn trooper
01-18-2011, 06:11
Situational awareness and common sense will get you safely down the trail and are much lighter than a pack full of weapons.

Jim Adams
01-18-2011, 16:13
Just my opinion, but there is no way a woman should be out there alone. Maybe if you are well trained and I am even sure there are women out there that could knock me out, but it's just not a good idea for a young woman of 17-18 to be out there alone. I guess that's the father in me, but the buddy system is a must and you should take a self defense course and carry something to defend yourself. I am thinking of going back alone in the future myself, but for sure I will have to bring something, if even pepper spray for bears in certain parts or human nut jobs anywhere. I am not an expert on the trail by any means and I have only done 1 section so far and thoroughly enjoyed it and felt safe the whole way. We were in a group of 5 and we met some of the nicest people on the trail including trail angels and the culture there was super and you will never forget the experience. But it just takes one nut case just one moment for you to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I did see some solo women hikers and others in pairs and they seemed safe, but a young woman alone could not be a good idea. Fortunately most of the nut cases are in the city as someone mentioned, but I just like staying on the safe side of things in general and things can turn ugly in an instant. Have fun, but be safe and safety first.

Well, the trail is waaaaay safer than any urban area....would you let your daughter go to Wal-Mart alone? If so, why...these are the dangerous areas. :eek:
No need to scare people from leaving their house.
Your BEST weapon is COMMON SENSE! Use it and you will be fine.

geek

Awol1970
01-18-2011, 16:29
I concur about the fact that going to Wally World is more dangerous than a walk in the woods. Carrying weaponry is just to damn heavy.

I was brought down by my Uncle's farm shepard when i was twelve. He was chained and I mistakenly believed I could win the footrace. He would have taken my calf muscle had I not been wearing jeans.

I love dogs...all kids and all breeds. Make no mistake though, I will kill any dog that threatens me. It was a lesson learned the hard way.:-?

Sickmont
01-18-2011, 16:33
Well, the trail is waaaaay safer than any urban area....would you let your daughter go to Wal-Mart alone? If so, why...these are the dangerous areas. :eek:
No need to scare people from leaving their house.
Your BEST weapon is COMMON SENSE! Use it and you will be fine.

geek

You've got that right. This is what happened to a friend of mine's sister here 11 years ago:
http://goldstarclub.com/unsolved-murders/tara-reilly-case.html

daddytwosticks
01-18-2011, 16:51
Ashevillian my friend, you are dead wrong about the western nc rednecks...they all drink Natural Light! :)

double d
01-18-2011, 17:38
Situational awareness and common sense will get you safely down the trail and are much lighter than a pack full of weapons.
Couldn't agree more-common sense and awareness go a long ways, your brain is your best "weapon".

Odd Man Out
01-18-2011, 18:07
NEW FLASH

This just in: 311,913,729 people in the US were NOT the victims of violent crime yesterday!

sixguns01
01-18-2011, 18:33
I find the trail a lot safer than a REI Garage Sale. Crazy people out there. Same common sense that keeps you safe at home and in cities is the same common sense that will keep you safe on the trail. Be aware of your surroundings

Jim Adams
01-18-2011, 19:45
NEW FLASH

This just in: 311,913,729 people in the US were NOT the victims of violent crime yesterday!

that means that 311,913,728 must have been on the AT.:D

geek

SouthMark
01-18-2011, 20:41
Frankly I'm sick and tired of running into lions and tigers. They have no place on the trail. :mad:

Unless they are on a leash or under owner's control. :)

Sarcasm the elf
01-18-2011, 20:58
NEW FLASH

But that makes for such a lousy headline for the network news channels!

JaxHiker
01-18-2011, 21:21
Unless they are on a leash or under owner's control. :)

Takes a big leash, though. And don't even get me started on ligers!

Lostone
01-21-2011, 07:56
Everytime this topic pops up I am simply amazed. I will begin to say that I am glad that I am not slave or victim to fear.

The cops keep their job by fear mongering.

Most cops I have met are pretty screwed up in the head, compared to the rest of us. Huge Egos, high testosterone and bad attitudes, Especially ones trying to impress a 18 year old young lady.

Be smart and aware of what is going on around you. follow your instinct if someone or something worries you move on and get away from the situation.

I did enjoy the comments about the Gatling gun and asking if it is available in titanium.

bronconite
01-21-2011, 08:46
How safe is the trail?
Safer than many places you currently go on a regular basis.

I am planning on hiking the AT this 2011 season at age 17-18 and have a good chance of doing it alone. I have always found the trail to be safer than a town/city.
Your observations are the same as the vast majority of people who spend time in the outdoors/woods/mountains/on the trail.

But my boyfriend is friends with a few cops and they state that they will not step on the trail unless they have a gun on them.
Sissies ;)

Mainly because of the accidents that have happened on the trail that most people don't know about.
It sounds like your boyfriend's friends are straight up lieing about things that happen out there. Ask for specifics. This is the kind of stuff the media, especially local news, thrives on. If something bad happens out there, it's all over the front page. Cops aren't necessarily the best source of info, just because they're cops. They are not necessarily personal safety experts, or experts on the outdoors.

Do you carry anything for self defense now?
The basics of personal safety and self defense are the same on trail and off. If you're interested in personal safety, seek information from experts in that field. If you carry self defense measures with you now, consider continuing to do so on trail. If you feel safe in your daily travels currently, feel safer on trail.

I personally think it's prudent to think about your personal safety, ALL the time, especially women. It's not about being afraid, just informed and responsible.

I also believe you are probably as safe sleeping in a tent in the mountain as you are sleeping in your own bed.

weary
01-21-2011, 11:03
It's natural and proper for single females to be nervous when hiking alone. When I walked the trail in 1993 at age 64, a woman 20 years younger than I was fell in with my pace. I sensed she thought I was safe. At the time I wasn't sure that was a compliment, but whatever. She was a pleasant companion for two months.

But she had the right idea. There are a lot of people on the trail. They quickly seem to divide themselves into compatible groups hiking at roughly the same pace. You'll quickly find a compatible group or a series of compatible groups. They'll become good friends, sometimes lifelong friends.

There is really no easy way to really hike the AT "alone," for very long. It's something one would have to deliberately try to achieve. Most people quickly find friends, and those friends will help keep you safe from the really minimal trail dangers.

skerry
01-21-2011, 11:56
C Seeker - you will not be 'alone' for long. There will be dozens of people you meet along the trail. Many times during the day you may find some solitude which you will enjoy and in the evenings there will ususally be a nice group to shave the evening with.
Don't let fear stop you from taking this first step on your 2000 mile journey. No regrets!
I will be starting, by myself, in mid-April. Hope to see you along the way.

The Weasel
01-21-2011, 13:47
Just remember: Life sucks. Then you die.

TW

FlyPaper
01-21-2011, 15:44
This came up before and I always hear that the trail is safer than a big city.
But I had not really heard of a careful analysis. It just seems that people repeat
this over and over and the result is everyone just believes it. It began to bother
me that no one cited any analysis to back up the claim of just how safe the trial
is.

Don't get me wrong, I hike, don't carry a weapon, and don't feel unsafe. Rest
assured, there will be more murders in NY City in 2011 than on the AT. If that
makes you feel safe, then so be it. Unfortunately, that is about as rigorous as
most "analysis" that concludes the trail is safer than a big city. Even in "unsafe"
cities, only a small percentage of people are murdered in a given year. Our
perceptions can be badly skewed when we're dealing with small percentages.

In an earlier thread, it was mentioned that there have been 5 thru-hikers murdered
since 1936. In the same time there have been 11630 trail "completions"
according to the ATC. It would be useful to treat the trail as it's own "city"
and compare it with major metropolitan areas. We could look at all crimes, but
it would be hard to even estimate that statistic. We could consider murders of
people on the trial. I don't have a count of the number of murders on the trail.
I do have a count of the number of thru-hikers that have been murdered (which
is 5). We need to consider this number against the total population of thru-hikers.
Since we don't know how many section hikers or day hikers that have been
murdered (well maybe someone does, just not me), then for the sake of analysis,
we will only count thu-hikers in the base population of the AT "city". Then we
can estimate a per-capita murder rate to compare against actual cities. Presumably
there have been murders on the trail of victims that were not thru-hikers. If
we counted the whole population of the trail, not just thru-hikers, we would
have more murders and a larger base population. Nevertheless, an estimate of
a murders per capita against only thru-hikers is still very useful in estimating how
safe the trail is compared to actual cities.

Here is the analysis I did in another thread...

The ATC site claims that there have been 11630 AT "completions" recorded since 1936. I seems likely that the overwhelming majority of these "completions" are thru-hikers. Perhaps there are a few non-recorded completions that can offset the section-hiker "completions", but for the sake of argument, let's say there have been 11630 thru-hikes completed since 1936.

A thru-hike consists of about 6 months living life "on the trail". That is 1/2 of a year. The population of a city such as Baltimore is based on people living there a whole year. Some move in and some move out, but the per capita murder rates are based on the average population of a city, not the number of distinct visitors or visits to the city. Since a thru-hike is 1/2 a year, we must double the per capita murder rate in order to compare "apples to apples" with large cities.

When talking about per capita murder rates, it is important to consider those who were "thru-hiking" at one point but did not finish. Obviously someone who was murdered while thru-hiking is not going to complete their
thru-hike. It is impossible to know if they would have completed their thru-hike had they not been murdered. So it is important when comparing
per capita rates of thru-hikers to city dwellers to consider the whole population of those that consider themselves to be "thru-hiking" whether or
not they would go on to finish their thru-hike.

According to the ATC web site, approximately 25% of those that start thru-hiking finish in a given year. This is based on the last 8 years. I imagine the percentage was lower before that. But for the sake of argument, we'll say 4 times as many start as finish.

Of those that start, almost 1/2 have quit within around 3 weeks. Another 25% quit later. If someone quits a thru-hike 3 weeks into the hike, that is not the same as spending a year on the trail, and hence is not proper to compare as an "apples to apples" comparison to someone living in the city for 1 year. It would take 17 people starting a thru-hike and quiting in 3 weeks to equal one person living for a whole year in a city in order to make a valid comparison to establish the relationship between per capita murder rates.

Since those that quit within 3 weeks spend almost no time "thru-hiking", for the sake of argument, we can pretend these people never were thru-hiking, and to more than offset that pretend the 25% that quit after 3 weeks to have completed the thru-hike. That means, we have 11630 x 2 thru-hike completions since 1936, each of them spending 1/2 a year on the trail.

That is like having 11630 people live for 1 year on the trail resulting in 5 murders. The murder rate per capita of the AT as a city would be 0.43 per thousand which is not as safe as Baltimore, but safer than New Orleans.

Note: I made a number of simplifying assumptions, but I believe most of these assumptions err on the side of making the trail seem safer than it really is.
Also, I am counting day hikers and section hikers as if they were part of a different "city" entirely. Since this thread mentioned murders, but not muggings, rapes, etc., all I am looking at is murders.

Based on this, I don't think you can really say that the trail is substantially safer than an ordinary city.

Addendum:

Also, when visiting or living in a city, all of us recognize that different activities, locations, and times significantly affect the level of danger. For example, if you are sitting in church in the suburbs on Sunday morning, you would be at a significantly lower risk than if you were selling drugs in a rival gang neighborhood. A city's murder rate is a composite of murder rates of all the activities that go on in that city. So if you visit Baltimore to go to an Oriels game on a Sunday afternoon and you don't buy drugs, don't get drunk, and don't make trouble, I would think you would be a lot safer than the average time spent in Baltimore that results in a 0.37 murders per 1000 residents. In other words, those engaged in high risk behavior in Baltimore (e.g. selling drugs in a rival gang territory) are sort of "taking one for the team" in a sense that they are taking a lot more than their share of the risk. (I realize they don't make anyone safer this way. It's just that our knowledge that they are much more likely to get murdered we can assume our own risk is somewhat lower than the "average" as long as people like that are part of what makes up the "average").

Fortunately, the AT is a place where you're not really seeing gang wars and such. But the downside of this realization is that it is "ordinary" trail life that contributes to this 0.43 per thousand murders per "person year" for thru-hikers on the trail.

For those that think life on the trail is safer than your life in the suburbs, I have to say I'm not convinced.

wrongway_08
01-21-2011, 15:46
Hey, keep not doing stuff because crap might happen, you'll live to a ripe old age and have nothing to show for it ..... yippie do f'n woopdee doo!

The A.T. is safer then going to the store - if you have common sense.

If you don't have common sense, stay the heck home - nobody needs non-common sensed people running free, they tend to screw things up for every one.

If a boyfriend/girlfriend/mom/dad/brother try to say the A.T. is a danger, they lie. They are just scared themselves of letting you go for whatever reason but the A.T. being a danger to you is not the correct reason.

Get out and hike the trail.

hikerboy57
01-21-2011, 15:55
Paralysis by analysis. Carpe diem, Sieze the Day!Live your dreams. What are the odds of getting hit by lightning?Ask the guy who just got hit.ANYTHING can happen to ANYONE at any given time. Last year a man was killed watching TV in his living room when an out of control car came right through the window and crushed him.Forget about murder, the real dangers are injuries and Lyme disease.

FlyPaper
01-21-2011, 16:15
Paralysis by analysis. Carpe diem, Sieze the Day!Live your dreams. What are the odds of getting hit by lightning?Ask the guy who just got hit.ANYTHING can happen to ANYONE at any given time. Last year a man was killed watching TV in his living room when an out of control car came right through the window and crushed him.Forget about murder, the real dangers are injuries and Lyme disease.

Don't know if you're replying to me and my analysis. Just in case, let me repeat what I said at the beginning.

Don't get me wrong, I hike, don't carry a gun, and don't feel unsafe.

I'll be on the trail this year if I'm physically able. Unarmed. Feeling safe. Don't presume to know anything about my psychological make up that makes me want to engage in more careful analysis of the safety of the trial.

For those who persist in saying the trial is safer than Wal-Mart, I'd be interested in hearing what their conclusion is based on. My reasons for wanting to hear this have nothing to do with how safe I'm going to be feeling on the trail.

hikerboy57
01-21-2011, 16:22
I wasnt responding so much to your analysis, which by the way was great, so much as the fear factor that brought you to provide the analysis. Every day that I have above ground is an absolute gift. NYC, which many people believe to be a dangerous city, was recently voted most courteous city IN THE WORLD. You turn on the news and hear only the bad things that are going on. I believe the world to be a friendly place, and good people far outnumber the bad. As FDR once said"the only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

FlyPaper
01-21-2011, 16:49
Our life philosophy is probably not very far off. Trust me, my motivation is driven more by an affinity for analysis and the desire to challenge conventional thinking than it is from any fear. After all, it is January, and I am sitting in a building. My time spent constructing this analysis hasn't caused me to lose any time on the trail.

hikerboy57
01-21-2011, 16:55
Our life philosophy is probably not very far off. Trust me, my motivation is driven more by an affinity for analysis and the desire to challenge conventional thinking than it is from any fear. After all, it is January, and I am sitting in a building. My time spent constructing this analysis hasn't caused me to lose any time on the trail.
I think the point of your analysis leads us to the same conclusion.the best way to get beyond the fear is to confront it in small doses.Day hike Harriman State Park, which is probably closer to a major cith than any other part of the AT. then, maybe go on a few overnights, then weeklongs, etc. Every step in the process will make you feel more comfortable in yor surroundings, and with that newfound knowledge, comes more confidence. Although I have yet to thru hike (4/10/120 is my start date), I've met and spoken to countless thru hikers over the years. Between those encounters and the great people who I've leraned from on WB, the AT is a warm and caring community. No fears.

hikerboy57
01-21-2011, 16:56
i need spell check

Wise Old Owl
01-21-2011, 16:57
Glad to see nobody is taking this seriously,

By the way since Camden NJ had laid off 175 police officers - I have decided to offer a tour bus trip to downtown, it will be completely safe....

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/08/12/art.armored.truck.cnn.jpg

FlyPaper
01-21-2011, 17:22
I think the point of your analysis leads us to the same conclusion....

What part of my analysis enables you to determine how I "feel" about it? Initially you challenged me to "seize the moment" (i.e. carpe diem). I was sitting here at my desk thinking to myself, "I'd like to respond on this thread and add my 2 cents worth, because I like to engage in thought provoking discussions and don't like to accept conclusions at face value". So I did what I felt like doing. I "seized the moment". In what part of this "carpe diem" have I failed to conform to proper conventions?

I've hiked around 500 miles of the AT. As I am now saying for the third time on this thread alone, I'll be out there this year, unarmed, and not feeling unsafe. Why does it seem like you keep skipping over that sentence? Are you asserting that in order to avoid fear we should remain ignorant?

Sickmont
01-21-2011, 17:28
For those who persist in saying the trial is safer than Wal-Mart, I'd be interested in hearing what their conclusion is based on. My reasons for wanting to hear this have nothing to do with how safe I'm going to be feeling on the trail.

This is why i'm inclined to agree with the "trail is safer than Wal-Mart" theory.....this was a friend of mine's younger sister:

http://goldstarclub.com/unsolved-murders/tara-reilly-case.html

FlyPaper
01-21-2011, 17:32
I think the point of your analysis leads us to the same conclusion....

Perhaps I misread your tone, and if so I apologize. The transition here led me to believe I was receiving a lecture on overcoming fear. I can see now you were probably more expressing agreement and then going on an aside about overcoming fear for those who might be fearful of the trail.

hikerboy57
01-21-2011, 17:36
I wasnt really being critical of your analysis, which I actually felt was pretty darn interesting and very well put together. More, i'm speaking to others, who have been frozen by fear, not realizing that any of us could die at any moment, regardless of odds or statistics. Fear can be healthy, it helps keep us alive. It is the imagined unrational fears that have kept many from living the life they really want.I think I agree with you if you feel safety is a relative condition...and you did "seize the day".

Lostone
01-21-2011, 23:11
Flypaper, you fail to take into account the thousands of section and day hikers that utilize the trail. In those years I am going to guess that the people total will increase by 100X if not 1000X. That will significantly change your stats.

weary
01-22-2011, 01:03
Are we sure the 11,630 that a poster has ATC claiming as being the total number of "thru hikers" really refers to thru hikers?" I suspect it may be the total of "2,000 milers" who have claimed to have completed the trail over the decades.

If so the total has nothing to do with those that attempt the trail in one year. Rather it is those that claim to have completed the trail regardless of the time span involved -- up to 50 years or so.

Regardless, all such figures are pretty nebulous. No one's really checking.

I don't base it on statistics, but I generally feel safer on the trail than I do at home. Trail users I meet strike me as friendly and gentle folks, who seem far less likely to cause harm, than say the worst of those I meet in a town or city, regardless of size.

mweinstone
01-22-2011, 10:00
trail crimes are rampent and need imediate attention
here are just a few seldom noticed ongoing crimes :

lwolf and gypsys happyness so close to the trail

serial and jills dog not being mine

miss janets dog fabion not being mine

malas dog tucker not being mine

young wonderfull hiker women being too young for me

hiker women such as vsa and sheneequa and twobeers being in relationships not with me

peolple like the only wanderer liveing on the trail without me

people like wonder and brian being so happy and trail like and without me

and the number one crime on the trail:

ms outhiking matthewski

the judge
01-22-2011, 12:27
i think this has been grossly over analyzed. every day you wake up you could potentially die, the trick is to make the best of it till ***** happens. who's to say you pack a 9mm with you, but someone is hiding along the side of the trail or walks up behind you and uses his/her's first. having a gun does nothing then. we have and make friends for a reason. I'm leaving my guns and big knives at home.

Jim Adams
01-22-2011, 15:17
The action that you take that gives you the most chance of dying by accident in the USA per individuals involved is driving a vehicle, hence unless you walked to Wal-Mart or anywhere else for that matter, actually hiking the AT is safer.

geek

FlyPaper
01-24-2011, 13:21
Flypaper, you fail to take into account the thousands of section and day hikers that utilize the trail. In those years I am going to guess that the people total will increase by 100X if not 1000X. That will significantly change your stats.

I explicitly mention section hikers and day hikers and explain why I did not count them.

There are two important parts to this. One, I did not have the statistics on the number of section hikers or day hikers murdered. What if you were looking at a city and were told that "there were 13 murders in this city where the victim was Hispanic." In order to make a meaningful comparison with other cities overall murder rate, you'd consider the 13 murders against the total population of Hispanics.

For example, it would be nonsensical to say that "there were 13 murders of Hispanics, but the overall population is 500,000 people so that is not very much".

More germane would be, "there were 13 murders of Hispanics out of a total Hispanic population of 100,000"

Since I have in my possession I statistic that says there have been 5 thru-hikers murdered, I sought to estimate the total "population" of thru-hikers.

Another important point is that counting overall numbers of people that use the trail leads to extremely skewed comparisons with city populations.

For example, my first time on the AT, I got out of my car and walked for two hours, then got in my car and drove home.

The following would be a nonsensical comparison:

"I went on a two hour day hike and was encountered no crime, but in my 30 years living in Baltimore I was mugged twice. Therefore the trail is safer than Baltimore."

Unfortunately this is approximately what people are arguing when they argue the trail is safer.

The following would be more germane:

"I spent one week on the AT and experienced no crime. I also spent one week in Baltimore and experienced no crime.".

That is an example of an apples to apples comparison that may be useful. But spending a single week in Baltimore without experiencing crime is hardly a basis to claim it is safe. Likewise, spending a week on the trail without experiencing crime is hardly a basic to claim it is safe. Also, few of us take comfort in visiting a dangerous neighborhood just because we happen to be making a short visit. For example, no one would say, "I don't mind carrying a large amount of cash into that rough neighborhood because I'll only be there for a few days."

The only meaningful way to compare crime on the trail to crime in a city is to make statistical adjustments to account for the large disparity in the amount if time spent on the trail verses time spent in a city. The unique number of people on the trail is not nearly as important as is the combined amount of time people spend on the trail.

You say that adding section hikers and day hikers would increase the factor 100x or 1000x. Perhaps if you count unique visitors, but absolutely not if you are counting overall time on the trail. In my experience, of the people I encounter on the trial, probably somewhere between 15 to 35%
are thru-hikers. This is because even though there are a lot less thru-hikers, they spend a lot more time on the trail than a day-hiker or section hiker.

Nevertheless, I don't have stats on murders against non-thru-hikers anyway.

Spokes
01-24-2011, 13:38
.......But my boyfriend is friends with a few cops and they state that they will not step on the trail unless they have a gun on them. ......

Reminds me of a joke a friend sent me on my trailjournals guestbook page back in 2009:

Ex-cop goes into a gun store. He tells the salesman he's going to walk the entire Appalachain Trail. He needs to know what kind of handgun he should carry in case he runs into a bear.

The salesman says, "Carry any handgun you want. But if you're going to shoot a bear with it, be sure to grind off the front sight."

The former cop looks perplexed. "Why should I grind off the front sight?"

"That way it won't hurt so bad when the bear takes it away and shoves it up your arse." said the salesman

FlyPaper
01-24-2011, 13:46
Are we sure the 11,630 that a poster has ATC claiming as being the total number of "thru hikers" really refers to thru hikers?" I suspect it may be the total of "2,000 milers" who have claimed to have completed the trail over the decades.

If so the total has nothing to do with those that attempt the trail in one year. Rather it is those that claim to have completed the trail regardless of the time span involved -- up to 50 years or so.

Regardless, all such figures are pretty nebulous. No one's really checking.

I don't base it on statistics, but I generally feel safer on the trail than I do at home. Trail users I meet strike me as friendly and gentle folks, who seem far less likely to cause harm, than say the worst of those I meet in a town or city, regardless of size.

I did mention the distinction between "2000 milers" and "thru-hikers" and this distinction is a valid question. Since I'm largely doing a "wet finger in the air" consideration of the claim that the trail is safer than the city, I made a number of educated guesses.

I made a guess that the overwhelming majority of "2000 milers" have done so by thru-hike. You'll notice though that if this is wrong and that a large percentage of "2000 milers" are actually finishing section hikers that this would support the conclusion that the trail is actually less safe than my simple estimate. (This is because there are still 5 instances of thru-hikers murdered, but now we measure against less time spent on the trail by thru-hikers).

On the other hand, there could be large numbers of successful thru-hikers that have been overlooked. I would guess not, but if so this would more support a conclusion that the trail is safer than my simple estimate.

I generally feel adequately safe on the trail also, regardless of any calculations. And I am certainly not suggesting that thru-hikers are likely candidates for perpetrating serious crimes against other hikers. My experience too is that people that take the challenge to hike long distances are decent people. I have even fewer numerical arguments to support it, but my guess is that almost all serious crime that has happened on the trial would be carried out by people not hiking very far. If I meet someone on the trail and am convinced they're hiking long distance, I am a lot more trusting of them than someone who might be out for an afternoon stroll.

FlyPaper
01-24-2011, 13:59
i think this has been grossly over analyzed. every day you wake up you could potentially die, the trick is to make the best of it till ***** happens. who's to say you pack a 9mm with you, but someone is hiding along the side of the trail or walks up behind you and uses his/her's first. having a gun does nothing then. we have and make friends for a reason. I'm leaving my guns and big knives at home.

I spent about 20 or 30 minutes running a rough calculation.

For my typical hike, I spend 3-4 hours shopping and packing, 3-4 hours planning hike logistics, and probably 10-12 hours traveling to and from
the trail. And this time is used for every hike. Everyone who comes
with me spends 3-4 hours shopping and packing along with 10-12 hours
of traveling. So if a group of 5 of us go for a hike twice a year, we can
easily use more than 100 hours without counting one second of actually
being on the trail. But all of this is part of a labor of love for those of
us drawn to the trail.

The effort to make the estimate of trail safety did not use any tax dollars,
nor were any donations made to whiteblaze used to pay for this
calculation. I personally was more entertained making these calculations
than I was while watching the last movie I happened to have seen, so I
don't feel personally to have lost anything by making some calculations.
Also, no one has been forced to read anything.

So I am not sure what criteria you judge that something is over analyzed.
I am not packing a 9mm, but I have been on the trial and expect to
be on it again.

earlyriser26
01-24-2011, 14:04
1) The trail is very safe (not perfect, but safer than any city or even driving to the trail) 2) Are the risks greater for a female, yes but again they are very small 3) What to do to be safe? a) trust your gut insticts b) avoid camping near towns and roads c) you will naturally find people to hike that you are comfortable with d) forget the gun, it is heavy, you will likely always be thinking about it vs. enjoying your hike, and most importantly, you probably would not have enough time to get it out. Bad guys are planning on being bad and they almost always pull a weapon first. If you want to bring anything, bring pepper spray. Learn to use it. It may come in handy vs. dogs. And you might be more willing to use it vs. a human.

Sickmont
01-24-2011, 14:13
There are "bad apples" no matter where you go, however i'm thinking the ratio of "them" to us(the not so bad apples) is lower on the trail. Relatively speaking, of course.

Tenderheart
01-24-2011, 14:55
Leave the weapons at home and don't tarry at road crossings, paved or otherwise. Boogers don't go far from roads. There will be oodles of people to hook up with if you decide to.

litefoot 2000

rickb
01-24-2011, 19:53
For those that think life on the trail is safer than your life in the suburbs, I have to say I'm not convinced.

Best to stay aware on the Trail.

About one in 65 AT shelters has been the site of a murder (or double murder) over the past 35 years.

My guess is that statistic is higher than the comparable rate at the B&Bs my wife and I tend to frequent.

On the other hand, certain risks are far less on the Trail. Like getting killed in a motorcycle accident or falling out a dorm window.

TheYoungOne
01-26-2011, 12:23
Your a teenage female, I would DEFINATELY take something with you on the trail.

I would at least take a knife and some bear spray. You can legally get away with a folding knife with a blade 3" or less in most states along the trail. Lots of companies make nice 2 1/2" to 3" blades that can be deployed very fast and are lightweight. Check Kershaw, Spyderco, Gerber, etc. Another option is a neck knife. Check the Becker Necker, or the CRKT minimalist.

Forger tasers, there is no civilian taser out there that is waterproof. Also carrying a firearm is illegal without a carry permit in almost all the states along the trail. Getting permits in multiple states takes time, and I think you need to be at least 21.

I really don't understand the sheep mentality with some people. Nahh its safe, what are the odds. Come on a young woman hiking alone, she should have something. I think you will probably have an uneventful hike, but its better to be safe than sorry.

wrongway_08
01-26-2011, 14:09
Don't bring weapons - you don't need them.

The trail is safe.

People wasting time looking through stats ...... go hike.

Bring a weapon if you want, don't complain about the useless dead weight you carry. Don't complain about the worry it will bring if you loose it. What ever kind of weapon you bring.

Hike with one of the worry warts. 1) Let them waste there time worry'n about stuff. 2) They will more then likely weighted down with stupid safety crap that the'll be slower then you and fall into there own stats. And don't worry about them saving you with there quick actions..... they studied this stuff reading from books, when real life happens, they'll brain fart and freeze.

bla,bla,bla.... just go hike.

Croft
01-26-2011, 14:32
Only met three "sketchy" characters on my thru last year. With the first I just kept hiking because I felt uncomfortable camping in the same spot as him, the second was a homeless guy who turned out to be really nice--again just kept on hiking, and the third was so wasted he couldn't have caught me if he tried. I hiked alone 70% of the trip and other than about 10 nights when I chose to stealth camp alone on a ridge (rather than down by a road), there were plenty enough people in the shelters and campsites to give me a sense of safety (in numbers).

I'm in the senior age bracket but I spoke to one early 20's woman who had a problem with another hiker constantly hanging around her that made her nervous. She shuttled 50 miles up the trail and put distance between them--problem solved.

99.9% of the people I met on the trail were awesome and we all seemed to keep an eye out for each other.

Have a great trip. It's an awesome adventure!

Red Hat
01-26-2011, 15:18
what Croft said.... I'm old, but I felt safe pretty much everywhere on the AT last year.

hikerboy57
01-26-2011, 15:30
Your a teenage female, I would DEFINATELY take something with you on the trail.

I would at least take a knife and some bear spray. You can legally get away with a folding knife with a blade 3" or less in most states along the trail. Lots of companies make nice 2 1/2" to 3" blades that can be deployed very fast and are lightweight. Check Kershaw, Spyderco, Gerber, etc. Another option is a neck knife. Check the Becker Necker, or the CRKT minimalist.

Forger tasers, there is no civilian taser out there that is waterproof. Also carrying a firearm is illegal without a carry permit in almost all the states along the trail. Getting permits in multiple states takes time, and I think you need to be at least 21.

I really don't understand the sheep mentality with some people. Nahh its safe, what are the odds. Come on a young woman hiking alone, she should have something. I think you will probably have an uneventful hike, but its better to be safe than sorry.
what is she going to do with a 3"blade in the unlikely event she's attacked? Should she take a course in knife fighting.Maybe pepper spray, but I'm sure most people do not know how to use a knife in a fight Although I have yet to thru-hike, I've section hiked enough of the AT to know that you're only alone if you want to be. Use common sense, dont camp near roads and be aware of your surroundings.You'll meet plenty of people along the way willing to help.You'll be OK.

TheYoungOne
01-26-2011, 15:45
I'm in the senior age bracket but I spoke to one early 20's woman who had a problem with another hiker constantly hanging around her that made her nervous. She shuttled 50 miles up the trail and put distance between them--problem solved.

99.9% of the people I met on the trail were awesome and we all seemed to keep an eye out for each other.

Have a great trip. It's an awesome adventure!

That is what I'm talking about. A young woman traveling alone might have issues with some guys. Most guys, even some of the creepy ones will ask you out, or make an advance, and if you reject them they go away. Its that real small precentage of scumbags that you have to worry about. Some may think, she is traveling all alone, and no one is around.

At least if you have "Something" to defend yourself it will not be easy for them and they will back down. Look at it this way, you think a creepy guy is going to harrass a female hiker any further, if she says go away, then pulls a knife out an picks her fingernails with it.

Also it is just useful to carry a knife. You can use it to cut cord, cut food, and even carve a piece of wood to pass time in the rain. Their are plenty of good knives under 3oz so it will not slow you down.

Unfortunately it is our current culture. In the past no one was afraid of knives and guns. Boy Scount use to carry knives and learn how to shoot. They were tools that are used in everyday life. Today I see American moms that are afraid to give their pre-teen kids a sharp knife to cut their own food.

The trail is probably very safe, but would it be just a little safer with a knife in your pocket.

hikerboy57
01-26-2011, 15:50
That is what I'm talking about. A young woman traveling alone might have issues with some guys. Most guys, even some of the creepy ones will ask you out, or make an advance, and if you reject them they go away. Its that real small precentage of scumbags that you have to worry about. Some may think, she is traveling all alone, and no one is around.

At least if you have "Something" to defend yourself it will not be easy for them and they will back down. Look at it this way, you think a creepy guy is going to harrass a female hiker any further, if she says go away, then pulls a knife out an picks her fingernails with it.

Also it is just useful to carry a knife. You can use it to cut cord, cut food, and even carve a piece of wood to pass time in the rain. Their are plenty of good knives under 3oz so it will not slow you down.

Unfortunately it is our current culture. In the past no one was afraid of knives and guns. Boy Scount use to carry knives and learn how to shoot. They were tools that are used in everyday life. Today I see American moms that are afraid to give their pre-teen kids a sharp knife to cut their own food.

The trail is probably very safe, but would it be just a little safer with a knife in your pocket.
Carrying a weapon without proper training AND the willingness to use it is probably not a good idea. I didnt say not to carry a knife, but if you're going to rely on it for protection, you better know how to use it.

TheYoungOne
01-26-2011, 16:34
Carrying a weapon without proper training AND the willingness to use it is probably not a good idea. I didnt say not to carry a knife, but if you're going to rely on it for protection, you better know how to use it.

Here is the proper training on how to use a knife if someone grabs you

1) Open knife

2) Stick sharp end into bad guy

3) Repeat if necessary

You don't have to go to any special forces/ninja school. Almost everyone knows how to punch someone, and the vast majority of people never took a single boxing or karate lesson showing the "proper" way to throw a punch. If the lack of training concerns the OP, you could easily do a day class at some martial arts school, or look up knife training videos on You Tube. You don't need to be a Black Belt to fight with a knife, and actually I find simple street fighting moves always trump flowie, complex martial arts moves.

I just don't get the unwillingness of people to take simple precautions. So if you are unwilling to use a knife against a bad guy, you are probably not going to punch or kick either, so what is the difference if you have a knife in your pocket or not. Just close your eyes let him do what he wants to do and hopefully he will let you live when he is done.

I really hate being a "carry a knife" spokesperson. I really love Whiteblaze and the AT, but I cannot understand why is there so much agnst about carry any knife on the trail.

hikerboy57
01-26-2011, 16:56
never said anything about not carrying a knife, and if its not a locking blade, you're more likely to hurt yourself than someone else.All I said was if you're going to carry a weapon, know how to use it. a swiss army knife isnt going to intimidate too many people out to do harm to others.

Papa D
01-26-2011, 17:16
Leave the weapons at home - use common sense - if you hitch-hike, do so only into known "trail-towns" with another hiker if possible, and if possible during the daylight - make use of trail angels and shuttles when possible, avoid shelters close to the road - that's where the troublemakers would most likely be (or show up late night) - don't be stand-offish or rude, but also vague about your plans to strangers. if you encounter someone who makes you feel uncomfortable there is a pretty good chance you a lot hike faster than they do - move on a mile or two to a tent site or on to the next shelter. The most dangerous thing you do (statistically) is travel by car to and from the trail - if you use common sense there is a 99.99999% chance you will be fine on the AT - your chances are much worse in a shopping mall or grocery store parking lot.

rickb
01-26-2011, 20:30
if you use common sense there is a 99.99999% chance you will be fine on the AT

A thru hiker's chance of falling victim to evil on the Trail is certainly far greater than 1 in 10 million. The families of 5 thru hikers can attest to that.

Skid.
03-16-2011, 11:58
You will meet some questionable characters in the woods. Take a self-defense course ahead of time. Not necessarily judo or karate, just a few hours of training that will help you recocnize a bad situation, and how to get out of it. My local high school offered one in its adult education curriculum, and now I at feel much better confident and prepared.

Sickmont
03-16-2011, 12:07
Just buy a gun and blow away anyone who gives you the creeps. That being said since i'm considered by most folks to be an "odd sort of person" please dont shoot me.