PDA

View Full Version : L.L. Bean Cresta Boots

DLANOIE
01-17-2011, 11:37
Just bought a pair of these online at the LL Bean website. I have been wanting to try these boots for a very long time and finally had enough scratch to afford them. I am normally a trail runner hiker, but I have been experimenting lately with different styles/methods of hiking. I sold all my hammock gear and am looking now for a tarp or tarptent. I have very strong leg muscles and want to give boots a try. I only live an hour or more from there flagship store so if they dont fit or I dont like em, I can easily send them back or get properly fitted for my feet. Living in Maine and doing most of my hiking in New England I feel that boots will give lots of protection from all the nasty terrain I ususally encounter. If I were to do any long distance treks, I would use trail runners. But the majority of my hiking ranges anywhere from 10-15 mile day hikes to 2-3 nights out tops. I am married with two young boys....very busy.

Can't wait to get these and give them a go. I read a ton of reviews and they seem to be THE "tried and true" hiking boot. I only wish they were made in America!;)

swamp dawg
01-17-2011, 12:09
Love the boot, well made and gives lots of support and the tread seems to grip well. The only negative would be it is a bit on the heavy side, it never bothered me on the trail since the positives of this boot out weighed any negatives.

QuarterPounder
01-17-2011, 12:42
I've owned a pair of Crestas for several years. I wore them last year from Springer Mountain to Damascus. As I started my thru on March 12th, I expected to be hiking a bit in snow... I was right! I'm glad I wore the heavier footwear for the early miles. Once I reached VA, I switched to trail shoes which worked fine. However, I went through 3 pairs of trail shoes. The Crestas are still in decent shape...I could get another few hundred miles out of them.

Heavy, but comfortable and very durable.

walkin' wally
01-17-2011, 17:44
I have two pair and I will be using one or the other on my thru this March. Heavy, but supportive for my tired ankles. Very comfortable and easy to break in.

DLANOIE
01-18-2011, 08:24
Hey Wally, hope you have a good hike! Is this your first attempt? My wife is a nurse in Waterville.

walkin' wally
01-18-2011, 10:59
Yeah this is my first attempt. I have done all of Maine , most more than once. I hope to be sucessfull. I have been waiting a long time.

My wife is a nurse in Waterville too. She will be my home support.

waywardfool
01-20-2011, 21:50
I'm sold on the Crestas (all leather model, not the nylon/leather). Bought mine last June, did about 20 miles local walking, then 20 on the AT a couple of weeks later. Zero problems at all. Really took 100 miles to really get broken in really good, but never a blister. Getting ready to buy another pair, to have a 2nd pair handy.

I'm a 14-B...really hard to find anything at all that works.

BTW, I'd read online that they had moved production to China or someplace a couple of years ago, but in the reviews, buyers said not difference in earlier Italian-made models. I was surprised when mine arrived that they were made in Italy. Guess that's one good thing about being on the outer end of the bell curve.

waywardfool
01-20-2011, 21:51
Oh, I set mine up with the green superfeet. Works great (for me).

Appalachian Tater
01-20-2011, 23:05
The LL Bean Cresta hiking socks are great quality as well.

DLANOIE
01-21-2011, 07:55
These are the first hiking boots I have ever worn. I have to say right out of the box I am very happy. I ordered online and the size/fit is spot on for me. Just wearing them around the house, they are very comfortable. Not what I was expecting from a high cut boot!

One question, should I be treating the leather with anything to help preserve the waterproofing?

leaftye
01-21-2011, 08:18
It's not the leather that's waterproof, it's the goretex. Leather by itself is not waterproof. You could use some leather waterproofing goop to prevent the leather from gaining water weight, but that reduces breathability even more. Unfortunately you can't do much to preserve the goretex. If you're just looking to preserve the leather, you don't need anything fancier than skin lotion.

DLANOIE
01-21-2011, 09:32
It's not the leather that's waterproof, it's the goretex. Leather by itself is not waterproof. You could use some leather waterproofing goop to prevent the leather from gaining water weight, but that reduces breathability even more. Unfortunately you can't do much to preserve the goretex. If you're just looking to preserve the leather, you don't need anything fancier than skin lotion.

OK thanks. I guess I will just leave it as it is.

waywardfool
01-22-2011, 14:01
I've always used sno-seal on leather boots, goretex or not.

read here (4th paragraph): http://www.atsko.com/articles/footware/proper-care-of-hard-working-leather.html

Kel, the "Stickman"
01-22-2011, 14:44
Wicked good boot! I had "happy feet" first time I put them on. Virtually no break-in period, and hiked 800 miles of trail. I still wear them at work and hiking, so they have gotten a lot of use since 2007. I did have a problem at about 600 miles... the sole, at the toe, came unglued. The cobbler told me they were "done for", but his wife knew how important they were to me, and pleaded my case. One hour and ten dollars later, the boots were fixed!... by the way, I was on trail, and L.L. Bean immediately shipped another pair to the next maildrop, just in case... at NO CHARGE, and an apology for any inconvenience! I was able to return the boots, unused, with a big "THANKS ANYWAYS!". So, I would rate the boots top notch, and L.L. Bean as superior in standing behind their products.