PDA

View Full Version : Springer to Unicoi Gap

vibbertations
01-17-2011, 11:47
First post. Hello everyone!

Four of us are planning a trip in October from Springer to Unicoi Gap. We're thinking we'll drive down from Kentucky on a Saturday, stay the night somewhere, start hiking on Sunday and finish on a Thursday, stay in a hotel/hostel again, then leave on Friday.

Looking for you GA people's suggestions.

1) Stay at Helen, GA. Leave one car there, drive to Amicalola and leave a car there. Drive back once completed.

2) Park both cars at Amicalola then rely on shuttle service to pick us up at Unicoi to drive us back.

I guess I'm more concerned with how secure the end point will be versus cost of transportation of shuttle service. There will be nothing of value in the second car but who knows...and at the same time, it looks like we would have to get up early to drive back to Amicalola to do the seven to eight miles on day 1.

Looking forward to hearing from you all!

JaxHiker
01-17-2011, 12:11
I've never (knock on wood) run into problems leaving vehicles at the GA trailheads. However, it takes extra time to stage vehicles at both ends (#1) and that eats up hiking time when you're trying to hit the trail. Here's what we're doing these days: drop one vehicle at the end and get a shuttle to the start.

The benefit is that you only have 1 vehicle to deal with and you don't have to wait for the shuttle when you're finished.

ranfreem
01-17-2011, 15:01
i got shuttle at Y Walasi Neels Gap about a month ago back to Dicks Creek (76 west of Clayton). Walked in asked for shuttle and she said " can you wait 20 minutes?" the are apparently are set up for it, but I would call and you will pass through on hike.

bigmac_in
01-17-2011, 15:57
Check with Ron Haven here on WB - he owns the Hiawassee Inn and I'm sure he can help you with all your logistics. Simple.

58starter
01-17-2011, 17:00
I have done this hike in June of 2009. We were dropped off at Springer Mt service road and hiked to unicoi gap. There is plenty of room to leave a car at the trailhead at both ends. I graduated from WKU in 1973 and again in 74.

generoll
01-17-2011, 18:26
whatever option you choose I'd suggest hiking to your car. if you need a shuttle, get that for the start so you know everything will be there waiting for you. Unicoi Gap has always been safe. There's always a first time, but no reports so far. Helen is a bit on the pricey side. You will find less expensive accommodations in Hiawassee if that matters to you.

vibbertations
01-18-2011, 00:34
Thanks for the replies. We're planning on starting the conditioning when it warms up a bit. I've got some new gear to try out and I want to practice carrying less water. I'm 6' 220lbs and always carry alot of water. Usually 100oz bladder and two 32oz Nalgene bottles filled to the top. (And my Miniworks just in case I run out!) I realize I'm going to have to go with less for a 5 day trip. The longest I've ever been out was 3 days and that was back in college.

@58starter - What made you decide to move? There is so much to do in Bowling Green. :)

JaxHiker
01-18-2011, 13:01
Replace your Nalgene bottles with regular water bottles. Much lighter.

vibbertations
01-18-2011, 19:59
Replace your Nalgene bottles with regular water bottles. Much lighter.

I was reading that yesterday. Finally switched from a Peak 1 Xpert and Duralight pot set to the Pocket Rocket and Backcountry Titanium pot.

My next item will definitely be a new pack but probably not for awhile. I think my current pack weighs somewhere around 8 pounds (using the step on-off-on scale method).

Malto
01-30-2011, 16:46
You could also throw in the AT approach trail into your trip, it adds 7.5 miles. That would avoid the gravel roads and remote parking are at Springer. The parking at the state park looks about as safe as you can get. As far as water, I have hiked this stretch multiple times and never take more than 2L. In fact I did the approach trail and then the AT to Hawk mountainn and back yesterday and only took 1L. There is generally water near every shelter. YMMV

58starter
02-10-2011, 21:10
@58starter - What made you decide to move? There is so much to do in Bowling Green. :)

I left to start a life of work. I am now retired. There is plenty of water out there so don't carry so much water.

star
04-30-2011, 22:57
I live in Helen and have a van. I could shuttle you over to Springer if you'd like and you could hike back to your car at Unicoi Gap.

Trailweaver
05-01-2011, 01:39
No one has mentioned the Hiker Hostel. . . they shuttle also. Check out hikerhostel.com. And if you stay there you can leave your vehicle in their parking lot. (Plus you get the most yummy hiker breakfast ever!)

You definitely don't want Helen - it's really too far away from the trail, too commercial/tacky, and the better shuttle services are closer to the trail anyway.

jesse
05-01-2011, 04:34
I would park at Amicalola and get shuttled to Unicoi. Car would be much safer. I have left a car at Unicoi Gap, and had no problems, but I worried about it.

griz43
06-15-2011, 07:25
I need shuttle contacts I could call for upcoming trip to Springer Mountain. Thanks

max patch
06-15-2011, 08:08
I'd leave a car at each trailhead.

max patch
06-15-2011, 08:34
I'd leave a car at each trailhead.

Or spend the nite at Ron Havens hotel in Hiawassee and (1) proceed as suggested above, or (2) leave both cars at Unicoi and have Rons people shuttle you to Amicalola. Less hassle with option (2) but more expense. I've never paid for a shuttle in GA so I have no idea what the going rate is.

jljmonky
08-09-2011, 16:29
I am doing this next week... I will let you know how it and our shuttle goes. We are driving down Sunday to Unicoi Gap. The Shuttle will drive us to springer and we are hiking back to the car. Shuttle cost is $110 for 4 of us. We aren't paying for any hotel space or anything like that, sleeping at unicoi sunday night (not getting there until 2 or 3 a.m. though) and then will probably spend our last night a few miles from the car and finish out then leave... I'll report back on it when we get back.

4dogHiker
08-09-2011, 16:43
I am doing this next week... I will let you know how it and our shuttle goes. We are driving down Sunday to Unicoi Gap. The Shuttle will drive us to springer and we are hiking back to the car. Shuttle cost is $110 for 4 of us. We aren't paying for any hotel space or anything like that, sleeping at unicoi sunday night (not getting there until 2 or 3 a.m. though) and then will probably spend our last night a few miles from the car and finish out then leave... I'll report back on it when we get back.

jljmonky, who is shuttling you? we need neels to springer at the end of the month. thanks!

jljmonky
08-10-2011, 15:15
Joyce Monroe, email is [email protected] and phone number is 706-896-9339 between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. only she says...

4dogHiker
08-10-2011, 16:52
Joyce Monroe, email is [email protected] and phone number is 706-896-9339 between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. only she says...

OK, thanks. I've called her b/f but she can't take all of us (2 adults and 4 50lb dogs). Gene Roll usually shuttles us but is out of the country for a month or so in Sept and Oct. I actually got a positive response today for our hike in Sept. Enjoy your hike!

jljmonky
08-19-2011, 19:17
Good Deal... we just finished before lunch today. All told we covered about 53 miles in what we amount to 4 days, half day last Monday and a half day today. Water was available only by dipping from Woody Gap to Unicoi even after a good thunderstorm last night. Car was fine when we got back to it today. Hope you have a good time!

Sierra Echo
08-19-2011, 19:49
There is a park ranger at Amicalola who shuttles. I have his business card in my car if you are interested in the details.

G-WALK
09-08-2011, 02:08
I would get a shuttle and walk back to the car. If you have a large enough cooler, and enough ice you can have cold beer waiting on you !
i shot some video up on springer last April...

http://youtu.be/T1PLyjrpT1E

http://youtu.be/4aSXJ5_r8eI

Maddog
09-08-2011, 02:35
:D
I would get a shuttle and walk back to the car. If you have a large enough cooler, and enough ice you can have cold beer waiting on you !
i shot some video up on springer last April...

http://youtu.be/T1PLyjrpT1E

http://youtu.be/4aSXJ5_r8eI +1 For cold beer waiting in the car! Why didn't I think of that?:D

BigRing
06-23-2012, 17:25
No one has mentioned the Hiker Hostel. . . they shuttle also. Check out hikerhostel.com. And if you stay there you can leave your vehicle in their parking lot. (Plus you get the most yummy hiker breakfast ever!)

You definitely don't want Helen - it's really too far away from the trail, too commercial/tacky, and the better shuttle services are closer to the trail anyway.

Fyi...you may want to check first on using Hiker Hostel. They told me that they only shuttle guests who stay overnight.

max patch
06-23-2012, 22:06
The OPs hike was 9 months ago and he hasn't been here since last Thanksgiving.

But ya'll can keep giving him advice if you want to. :)

henry g wilgo
01-31-2014, 15:52
star...could i arrange to have you shuttle me from gainsville train station to unicoi gap area,,,end of april or early june?

thanks henry..if so i will leave email address and or cell # later

henry g wilgo
01-31-2014, 15:57
:banananeed shuttle gainsville train station to unicoi gap area late april of early june
thanks henry email is [email protected]

01-31-2014, 18:52
First post. Hello everyone!

Four of us are planning a trip in October from Springer to Unicoi Gap. We're thinking we'll drive down from Kentucky on a Saturday, stay the night somewhere, start hiking on Sunday and finish on a Thursday, stay in a hotel/hostel again, then leave on Friday.

Looking for you GA people's suggestions.

1) Stay at Helen, GA. Leave one car there, drive to Amicalola and leave a car there. Drive back once completed.

2) Park both cars at Amicalola then rely on shuttle service to pick us up at Unicoi to drive us back.

I guess I'm more concerned with how secure the end point will be versus cost of transportation of shuttle service. There will be nothing of value in the second car but who knows...and at the same time, it looks like we would have to get up early to drive back to Amicalola to do the seven to eight miles on day 1.

Looking forward to hearing from you all! My family has done this hike several times, We drive down from Virginia in time to shuttle to the beginning, springer and hike up 1 mile backwards, south and stay right in the springer mt shelter, can do the same at Amicalola. Always had time to build a good fire. It is 10 hour drive. I never liked jumping out of a car and start hiking, I prefer to stay at a shelter get into the swing of things and get going in the morning. I have used several shuttle drivers and they all had fair prices and were timely. My car has always been fine upon getting back. I would recommend keeping a cooler in the car and have ready some pop, drinks and such.

Jim Lynch
03-30-2014, 18:35
I'm staying at Hiker Hostel next week and looking forward to it. I'll just be on the trail for three days, and will use their shuttle on both ends.

Hill Ape
03-30-2014, 21:00
If you're amtraking, hiker hostel will work out better than Helen to nobo. Better experience too

MissPengwin
05-19-2015, 21:38
We just did this section. Left the car at Unicoi Gap Trailhead and had Ron Brown shuttle service.
Hes on Facebook great service!