PDA

View Full Version : Jet Boil

Jerryatric
01-17-2011, 13:52
I've used an alcohol stove ever since I hit the trail five years ago in Georgia. I'm now as far north as Hanover, and plan to complete the remaining 440 miles this fall. I've had good results with the alcohol, but have been considering a jet boil for the last section. My biggest concern is availablity of fuel canisters thru New Hampshire and Maine. Also, I'm not sure how many days I can get out of the small canister (I only heat some water for coffee in the morning, and boil a pot of water in the evening). Any feedback from fellow hikers would be greatly appreciated.

Two Tents
01-17-2011, 13:57
Hi! Just use the search function and search 'jetboil' You'll have information overload.

jrwiesz
01-17-2011, 15:45
At your described usage, you will easily get 10 days work out of a canister. :sun

jeremesh
01-17-2011, 15:52
At your described usage, you will easily get 10 days work out of a canister. :sun
Not a scientific measurement but I have gotten 12 packages of ramen out of a canister and it still has fuel left.

Helios
01-17-2011, 16:00
I did almost the same thing. I used my alcohol stove for about 5 years. Then I saw the jetoil, gave it a try, and now it's all I use. When I set the same amount of days worth of fuel, stove, and pot side by side... my jetboil was a smaller pack and lighter weight.

Still got the alky stove. Love that home made thing! I just don't use it any more.

I make hot tea in the morning, and usually at lunch, then heat up water for supper. Usually instant potatoes so it doesn't need to come to a boil. I get 12 days / canister this way. Again, I never really bring it to a boil.

Resupply has never been an issue either.

HeartFire
01-17-2011, 17:02
I love my jet boil, just to boil water in the AM and PM, a can of fuel lasts 2 weeks.

wornoutboots
01-17-2011, 21:38
I love mine! The only problem I have with it is when the temps are below freezing, I need to warm up the canister before lighting or it never seems to run at full force. I think I need to start putting it in my bag or somewhere where the cold won't affect it?

lori
01-17-2011, 21:41
If you want something lighter and faster than a Jetboil, the Primus Etaexpress Solo beats it on both counts. Hiked with a lot of Jetboils (none of them mine) and the Primus knocked my socks off.

That said, I am still an alky kinda gal. I like my quiet little stoves. When I end up sharing I take the Snowpeak Giga, which is simple and very light, packs comfortably into my ti pot, and works with any kettle or pot I put on it. Fuel economy is nice and has a very low CO output.

Blissful
01-17-2011, 23:05
You can get a canister at Gorham.

Mail yourself one or two in Maine. They can go USPS surface.

mark schofield
01-18-2011, 07:40
I use the SnoPeak Giga like Lori. With coffee and oatmeal in the morning (almost a quart of water) and one Mountian House (2 cups) at night, I get 10-12 days per 8 oz. canister. I use a SnoPeak 900 cook set. and the flame from the stove doesn't go up around the side of the pot. I use to use an MSR Superfly which has a lot larger diameter burner head. Too big for my smaller pot.

After
08-11-2011, 00:42
I love mine! The only problem I have with it is when the temps are below freezing, I need to warm up the canister before lighting or it never seems to run at full force. I think I need to start putting it in my bag or somewhere where the cold won't affect it?Sleep with the canister. If it's really cold, warm up about 2 oz of water then put the water in the cup base and set the assembled stove in the warm (not hot) water. That jetfoil will really cook, and its a lot more comfortable than trying to keep the canister warm with your hands. We figured this out on an overnight when temps dropped to around zero. 3 liter water pouch froze solid overnight but we were able to boil water using the nalgenes we had stored in our sleeping bags.

Trailbender
08-11-2011, 03:56
Hmm, Jetboil always seemed too heavy and expensive for what it was for. Used alcohol for awhile, went to esbit, did a fire twice a day for 3 weeks on my thru, got pretty efficient at it, fire was tiny, maybe two big fistfuls of smaller sticks, just enough to boil 2 cups water.

For total simplicity, as I cut down weight, I'll probably just carry a few esbit tabs, and use a fire or eat cold.

flyingturtle
08-11-2011, 08:21
I use a jetboil. I dump in my ramen/lipton, bring it to a boil, turn it off and put the lid on it and let it finish cooking on its own. It takes a little longer this way, but I am able to consistently get about a month's use out of a canister. My hiking partner has used a jetboil in the past with the same method and gets the same results. We would only cook dinner, not any breakfasts or lunches, so 2 weeks is spot on as HeartFire says if you like a hot breakfast!