PDA

View Full Version : Have my gear...What Pack?

Figgsy13126
01-17-2011, 14:30
Going to purchase my pack this week. I am a newbie..with no experience with backpacking/hiking. Have done some research over the years and think ive come up with a pretty good gear list..all to my liking. I plan on taking all my gear to REI or EMS and try on a few bags. Not sure what brands they will have...Catalyst to big for my list? Circuit better? easy for a newbie to pack..also checking out the ATmos 65 or should i get the 55? What type/sizes should i select?..opinions? I wont by my platypus/bladder till after i get the bag..make sure i get best fitting.

Lunar Solo
Hikin pole
8"stakes
small tent repair kid (needle, thread, etc)

North Face 0 down..(Free) will swap out as i go

Msr Pocket Rocket
2 fuel canisters
Msr spork
texport mug
alpine pot 1l
couglin conatian alls..(small plastic bottle for salt,sugar,honey, etc.. fits in my pot)

Katadyn Hiker Pro
2 gatorade bottles

med kit
bug spray
tube of gold bond
waterproof fire sticks
waterproof matches
2 small rolled up duct tape
sawed off toothbrush
toothpaste'
camp soap
3 carabiners
bic lighter
notebook
pen/pencil
Thru Hike Companion
head lamp

stuff sacks
mesh bag
contractor bag

CLOTHES

North Face convertable pants (on person)
3 Wool socks (1 hike, 1 camp, 1extra)
2 Capeline base layers (hike/camp)
2 bandana
Bruins Tshirt (in pack)
Fleece top
2 pairs of compression underwear
Marmot Zeus
Trail runners
fleece hat

will prob add my AUBURN Football Sweatshirt. cuz i want to.

deff forgeting something!! What pack/sizes should i lean toward? dont mind spending the cash!

Luddite
01-17-2011, 14:41
Catalyst to big for my list? Circuit better?

I don't how small the Lunar Solo packs down, but I think the Catalyst will probably be too big. You could always E-Mail ULA your list and they could point you in the right direction.

skinewmexico
01-17-2011, 15:31
The Lunar Solo makes a nice long roll, which fits nicely in the side pocket of a Catalyst or Circuit. With the tent outside like that, the Catalyst is really too big.

vibbertations
01-17-2011, 15:44

I'm trying to think of a pack that will fit all that stuff and a kid too. :)

I'm anxious to see what everyone comes up with. I got an amazing deal on a Lowe Alpine pack at REI a couple years back...its somewhere around 3-4000 but was only 60 bucks! This was back when I didn't mind carrying a 40+ lbs bag....the bag alone weighs 8 pounds. I'm trying to pack lighter these days in my old age of 28. :D

bigcranky
01-17-2011, 16:18
Circuit should be fine, or the SMD Starlite. Packs to try at a local shop would be the Osprey EXOS series (be very careful about how the frame contacts your hip area), the Osprey Aether, the Gregory Z-series, the REI Flash 65, any Granite Gear packs that fit well, even the Osprey Kestrel series is nice.

Blissful
01-17-2011, 18:36
Don't need two fuel canisters. Aqua mira instead of filter. Lots of stuff you can leave out which will change your pack load.

Figgsy13126
01-17-2011, 19:55
Gotta add electronics..camera/iPhone/nano.

If I do go with a pack sized like the circuit..would the idea of leaving my down sleeping bag laid out in the bottom of the pack workable? Read that idea and liked it. What's the benefits of a larger pack along the trail? Just look so big! Hah

Figgsy13126
01-17-2011, 19:58
Don't need two fuel canisters. Aqua mira instead of filter. Lots of stuff you can leave out which will change your pack load.

deff expect nit to need 2..but, I still want room for it. I like the hiker pro. Pretty set on my gear. Won't drop the items! Thx bro!

StormBird
01-17-2011, 22:24
i vote ULA over Osprey because they make lighter weight packs.

Blissful
01-17-2011, 23:03
Pretty set on my gear. Won't drop the items! Thx bro!

You say you are brand new to backpacking, having never done it. But yet refuse to drop any of your gear.

Interesting.

To each his own

lori
01-17-2011, 23:17
Rent a pack and go for a trial overnight to put it all to use, see what happens.

If you are going to use the Marmot Zeus and the 0 degree bag on the same trip... either you are going to be really cold in the jacket, or you will sweat yourself into a puddle in the bag. Assuming that it is accurately rated within 10 degrees and not actually something like a 20-30 degree bag. The Zeus is a sewn through down jacket, I have the women's version and it's just not a winter jacket... Course, you've left off the sleeping pad, so you might sweat on top and freeze underneath.

leaftye
01-17-2011, 23:25
If you are going to use the Marmot Zeus and the 0 degree bag on the same trip... either you are going to be really cold in the jacket, or you will sweat yourself into a puddle in the bag. Assuming that it is accurately rated within 10 degrees and not actually something like a 20-30 degree bag. The Zeus is a sewn through down jacket, I have the women's version and it's just not a winter jacket... Course, you've left off the sleeping pad, so you might sweat on top and freeze underneath.

I wouldn't worry about the jacket. It can be combined with the bulky fleece jacket, sweatshirt and both pairs of base layers.

That clothing list reminds me of a training hike I did early last year. I used a Dana Designs Astralplane. It has a capacity of nearly 7000 cubic inches or roughly 115 liters.

lori
01-17-2011, 23:30
I wouldn't worry about the jacket. It can be combined with the bulky fleece jacket, sweatshirt and both pairs of base layers.

Only if it fits over all those, and then under the rain jacket. Compressing the down under heavy layers makes it less warm than usual. And that particular jacket is pretty form fitting.

No Cows
01-18-2011, 00:02
Gear-Yo (Formerly Gear-Skin) most comfortable and versatile pack I've ever worn, and great to work out of on the trail.....

moonbowgear.com

Figgsy13126
01-18-2011, 00:59
You say you are brand new to backpacking, having never done it. But yet refuse to drop any of your gear.

Interesting.

To each his own

Sorry man..I am new. I have those items such as the hiker pro..Not going to start buying other methods. SIgned sealed delivered on most of my gear! Thanx everyone for the advice!

MedicineMan
01-18-2011, 01:31
deff expect nit to need 2..but, I still want room for it. I like the hiker pro. Pretty set on my gear. Won't drop the items! Thx bro!
Famous last words :)

leaftye
01-18-2011, 01:45
Shouldn't this thread be in the Hiker Humor forum? I didn't realize this was a joke until I looked more closely at the gear list. The cut down toothbrush is a sign of true commitment to saving grams, except for the 3 biners, 2 fuel bottles and clothing. I suppose it would have been too obvious if the 3-ply goretex raingear were on that list too.

Figgsy13126
01-18-2011, 02:08
Tough crowd..

leaftye
01-18-2011, 02:17
Tough crowd..

What do you expect? You gotta be joking with that gear list.

Oh yeah, NF down sleeping bags would take up half the volume of the main compartment in a Catalyst. Considering the other items on your gear list, plus the stuff you forgot to list, you will need a bigger pack than a Catalyst. That's for real.

leaftye
01-18-2011, 05:03
Just so I can reduce my salty to constructive ratio...

Using the NF Superlight 0°F down bag, a 1 liter pot and 2 liter bladder would put you at 1500 cubic inches. The Catalyst has a 2600 cubic inch main bag and the Circuit has a 2400 cubic inch main bag. That leaves you with 900 & 1100 cubic inches, respectively. Your clothing list will probably take up the remaining space all by itself, and you don't even have raingear on your list yet.

I don't know how big of a pack you need, but my wild guess is that you need a bag with a main compartment that is at least 4000 cubic inches, and that's with storing water bottles and your tent outside or in other compartments.

Figgsy13126
01-19-2011, 16:10
Just so I can reduce my salty to constructive ratio...

Using the NF Superlight 0°F down bag, a 1 liter pot and 2 liter bladder would put you at 1500 cubic inches. The Catalyst has a 2600 cubic inch main bag and the Circuit has a 2400 cubic inch main bag. That leaves you with 900 & 1100 cubic inches, respectively. Your clothing list will probably take up the remaining space all by itself, and you don't even have raingear on your list yet.

I don't know how big of a pack you need, but my wild guess is that you need a bag with a main compartment that is at least 4000 cubic inches, and that's with storing water bottles and your tent outside or in other compartments.

Time for me to save face...

I wasn't lookin for gear advice..sure I might not need this or that. There are some good reasons I plan on bringing a few extras, that'll prob drop along the way. I was just lookin for suggestions on bag type/size so I can HYOH. I am in the position to stay in towns for however long I want. Hotel/hostels.. jamn' out at bars in town and along the trail. This is a vacation for me and would love to make it last 6+ months.

I've only decided on staying 2 nights in Damascus, Cherokee NC, Gatlinburg..Gettysburg..and begining to look into how I get to Nashville from the trail! Any other Trail towns thats anyone suggest i would appreciate it!..So, the need for a fairly clean tshirt or sweatshirt I was thinkin was worth carrying. I consider myself 8 out of 10 on fitness. So, a couple extra pounds to carry I'm not worried about.

Now..I guess i'll go through my gear. and my reasoning for my items..And Let me know where i am going wrong?

Lunar Solo
Hikin pole
8"stakes

Love this set-up...Whiteblaze helped me lean towards this purchase. and u lightweight hikers recommended it.

actually very small...pack this in with my med kit.

North Face 0 down..(Free) will swap out as i go
I can see the humor in this..But, i will be on the trail Feb. 25th. Sure it wont get that cold..But, it has snowed in Alabama this year. Who knows what weather i may get stuck in. Figured id start with this bag...and buy another bag as i hike. I gues im leaning towards a 20 bag?

Msr Pocket Rocket
2 fuel canisters
sure i could of went with an alcohol stove or any 1 of the 100 other type stoves. But, ive read nothing but good things from ya'll about the Pocket Rocket..and it suits me well. As for the fuel cansisters. I put down 2 only because i want to be able to count for havin the extra space.. Just in case along the way i decide that i wanna chill in the woods a lil longer...Im not sure how long a cansister last for. Im on 5 lipton meals...maybe ill get 20? out of a can? Something ill find out in a few days.

enlighten me

Msr spork
should i eat with my fingers?

texport mug
light as anything i can imagine drinking coffee out of. i think its made out of titanium? i dunno. fits about 1 1/4 cups of fluid.

alpine pot 1l
doesnt seem to big for me? what do u cook in? I feel like this is perfect...Inside it fits my spork, contain alls..which are small plastic bottles smaller than the size of your average day salt shakers. about 5 of them. I filled them up with salt/sugar/honey/and veg oil. close the lid of my alpine stowaway pot and it'll contain my kitchen needs.

whats wrong with this method? what do u do diff? Humor me

couglin conatian alls..(small plastic bottle for salt,sugar,honey, etc.. fits in my pot)

Katadyn Hiker Pro
Great reviews from fellow Whiteblaze members. Could of gone with tablets..From what i read the water along the trail is for the most part healthy. This product suits me well...fill my bladder and water bottles. etc.

2 gatorade bottles
maybe a lil funny to all you LIGHTWEIGHT fans...But, again. Ive read on this site that many hikers prefer these bottles rather than naglene. Lightweight...and has a tasty beverage in them before being reused.

Maybe i'll drop it down to 1? Whats ur methods? Ideas? Humor me

wait a second...almost forgot. The 2nd bottle will be for my Jack Daniels...yea, your goign wanna party with me on the trail.

med kit
small kit..bandages/moleskin/IBprofrin/ace bandage/gauze pads/med tape. took out some of the other med supplies that i wouldnt need. and added a SMALL can of bug spray/Gold Bond/ and 2 small rolls of duct tape. (couglins brand)

bug spray
small can (sawyers)

tube of gold bond
small travel size

waterproof fire sticks
just in case

waterproof matches
just in case

gray gold

sawed off toothbrush
my attempt at a lil humor..that bombed. I am purchasing a travel toothbrush. or should i just brush with my finger? Not sure how lightweight u would like me to be.

toothpaste'
travel size

camp soap
small bottle of soap to wash out my HUGE pot and keep other things santized. Also fits in my pot for storage along with my contain alls.

3 carabiners
gift from my buddy on Xmas....he didnt have much cash. But, hes interested in Hikin and thought it might be something i need on the trail. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I COULD USE THEM FOR. But, it was a gift. Maybe i'll just take 2...or none.

bic lighter
not good at rubbing sticks together

notebook
I had a lil schooling in my life...Maybe i'll practice my writing a lil.

pen/pencil
I enjoy birds..i hate to have to use a feather to write in my notebook. Or i could prob etch caligraphy in Rocks along the way.

Thru Hike Companion
prob should just leave this at home? Prob the most important piece of gear i have!

head lamp
cant fit my Night vision goggles...
2 stuff sack
variety of uses...not sure exactly i'll use them for. Prob just stuffing a shirt inside one for a pillow?
mesh bag
hang food? laundry use.
contractor bag
thought this was a popular product

added this:

Electronics in a waterproff zip lock type bag..
Iphone
Camera (small digital)
extra mem card
nano and headphones

CLOTHES

MOST OF WHERE YALL ARE LAUGHING...LEt me explain!

doubt this is an issue

prob should just have 2...But, I'd like to have a pair just for hiking and a pair for camp. The 3rd is just in case my hikin pair gets nasty. Wouldnt mind hikin in dry socks.....But, let me know what u think? Becuz of ur laughs and giggles. Im going with 2

i will be on the trail Feb 25th...Ive read from many whiteblazers that they enjoy having a clean pair for camp? What did i miss? Why is having 2 baselayers in the frst few months a bad idea? Again...it snowed in Alabama. Who knows what the weather will be like leading into April. Of course i'll drop a layer as i start getting a tan.

Humor me.

2 bandana
okay, just 1. For cleaning my pot and any other reason i seem fit. I thought 2 would be fine..but, i guess its funny?

Bruins Tshirt (in pack)
i was initially going to wear my Auburn Football Tshirt (natl' champs)...But, my Bruins will be in the playoffs in the early part of my hike...and seeing how i plan on doin MANY days in Town. Hitting bars/restaurants...Museums..Nashville? Maybe a concert? And a couple nights In NYC...I figure i need some party clothes while in town and doin laundry. to think about it...i might need to add a pair of lightweight shorts to drink in as well.

Humor me...Why is this a bad idea?

Fleece top
Christmas present from my brother...also got me my Thru Hiker companion. I figure he would enjoy seeing me wearing it in the pictures to come. I did lie...its not completely made of fleece..polyester as well. Form fitting and very far from any bulk.

i lied...Only bringing 1 pair. Sorry if this made u shake ur head. shoulda realised that a baselayer will double as underwear.

Marmot Zeus
Love it

Trail runners
dont wanna go barefoot

fleece hat
short haircut...prob a good idea for some warmth

again...and im trying to get you jealous. I will be spending Many nights in town. Nice clean sweatshirt, i thought wasnt a bad idea. At least for the first few months. Its about 4 years old..beat up and not bulky or even that warm.

Humor me...why a bad idea? I might just change my mind on this.

deff forgeting something!! What pack/sizes should i lean toward? dont mind spending the cash!

oh yea...My rain gear i went with Dry Ducks!! Might be too much? Too bulky? I guess i'll do my rain dances naked? prob will anyhow!

That should be everything i plan on carrying!

Humor me please!!! Where did i go wrong with my planning...of MY HIKE? I got most of my suggestions and ideas from Whiteblaze. So, Where did Whiteblaze lead me off track with my Gear? DO i have the wrong idea of the AT????

Please help a newbie that wants an experience of a lifetime. Someone who wants to find out for himself what he can accomplish...I am an Union Electrician...laid off for now like many others..Maybe this trip will prepare me for Traveling to Alaska and the Pacific NW for work? I might even decide going overseeas for work. Far from home...im use to having support from my family at home. Finally, need to spread my wings! See what im made of!

Now knowing a lil about me and my goals for MY HIKE. Should i be looking at a HUGE bag? i guess i'll find out next Tue when i make my purchase?

WAR EAGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Figgsy13126
01-19-2011, 16:21
damn...couple more things

Sharper Image Swiss Army Knife
Sharper Image Swiss Army knfe with pliers

(Christmas gift from My Swedish girlfriend who just recently moved back to Sweden...oh the memories) Should work for what i'll need to do. I will add a slightly larger knife in case i run into a dangerous tick...

Bo Knows
01-19-2011, 16:42
As long as you pack your courage and determination like I plan to, the rest you'll figure out on the way. A vote of good luck from a fellow rookie and GO BRUINS!

mister krabs
01-19-2011, 16:45
A tall kitchen garbage bag is about 50 liters, fill one with your gear and then decide how big your pack needs to be.

leaftye
01-19-2011, 17:58
8"stakes

Easton stakes? Those are bulky. I don't like recommending spending money, but you might want to swap 6 of those for titanium stakes, even if they weigh the same.

So, a couple extra pounds to carry I'm not worried about.

I totally understand that. I don't care so much about your weight, but the volume is a big concern.

Msr Pocket Rocket
2 fuel canisters
sure i could of went with an alcohol stove or any 1 of the 100 other type stoves. But, ive read nothing but good things from ya'll about the Pocket Rocket..and it suits me well. As for the fuel cansisters. I put down 2 only because i want to be able to count for havin the extra space.. Just in case along the way i decide that i wanna chill in the woods a lil longer...Im not sure how long a cansister last for. Im on 5 lipton meals...maybe ill get 20? out of a can? Something ill find out in a few days.

enlighten me

You have to cut back on volume hard if you want a chance at using a ULA pack. This means 1 canister. You might be able to add it back when you switch sleeping bags.

texport mug
light as anything i can imagine drinking coffee out of. i think its made out of titanium? i dunno. fits about 1 1/4 cups of fluid.

alpine pot 1l
doesnt seem to big for me? what do u cook in? I feel like this is perfect...Inside it fits my spork, contain alls..which are small plastic bottles smaller than the size of your average day salt shakers. about 5 of them. I filled them up with salt/sugar/honey/and veg oil. close the lid of my alpine stowaway pot and it'll contain my kitchen needs.

whats wrong with this method? what do u do diff? Humor me

Because you need to cut back so much on volume, you may need to give up the pot or mug. You can cook and drink out of either one, so make one serve both purposes for now.

If you choose the mug over the pot, you may have to give these up. It's not a big deal if you adopt freezer bag cooking. Basically, boil your water in your pot and then pour the water into a freezer bag that contains your premade preseasoned meals. That allows you to get rid of the contain-alls and maybe even the Alpine pot.

Katadyn Hiker Pro
Great reviews from fellow Whiteblaze members. Could of gone with tablets..From what i read the water along the trail is for the most part healthy. This product suits me well...fill my bladder and water bottles. etc.

2 gatorade bottles
maybe a lil funny to all you LIGHTWEIGHT fans...But, again. Ive read on this site that many hikers prefer these bottles rather than naglene. Lightweight...and has a tasty beverage in them before being reused.

Maybe i'll drop it down to 1? Whats ur methods? Ideas? Humor me

wait a second...almost forgot. The 2nd bottle will be for my Jack Daniels...yea, your goign wanna party with me on the trail.

I think you know it's coming....the filter has to go for now...and I'm a big fan of using a filter.

The Gatorade bottles area good idea. You can probably store these outside your pack anyway.

bug spray
small can (sawyers)
I don't think you'll need this for now. Can? Get the tiny bottles of 100% DEET. Even better, transfer that into tiny micro bottles like Gossamer Gear sells. Doing the transfer is actually a really good idea to prevent spills...DEET can really destroy gear if it spills. With the way DEET works, a dropper bottle will work just fine.

waterproof fire sticks
just in case

Swap for a mini bic lighter because matches don't always work...it's probably smaller too, and it's cheap.

Ooops, you have this below. If these take up more than one or two cubic inches, you might want to swap these for cotton balls dipped in vaseline stored inside a small ziplock bag.

gray gold

For volume, make sure this is wrapped around your trekking pole or bottle...something that is outside of your pack.

3 carabiners
gift from my buddy on Xmas....he didnt have much cash. But, hes interested in Hikin and thought it might be something i need on the trail. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I COULD USE THEM FOR. But, it was a gift. Maybe i'll just take 2...or none.
Whatever you do, don't put this in your pack.

notebook
I had a lil schooling in my life...Maybe i'll practice my writing a lil.

A small one? You can always pick up more as you go.

Thru Hike Companion
prob should just leave this at home? Prob the most important piece of gear i have!

Agreed, but you can save a bit of space by ripping it into sections so you can carry only what you need and have the rest mailed out to you as needed.

added this:

Electronics in a waterproff zip lock type bag..
Iphone
Camera (small digital)
extra mem card
nano and headphones

If you don't have hip or shoulder strap pockets, you might want to get them and store your electronics there instead of in the main compartment of your pack....or leave some of it at home for now...iPhone has a camera, right?

And now for the clothes...

CLOTHES

MOST OF WHERE YALL ARE LAUGHING...LEt me explain!

doubt this is an issue

prob should just have 2...But, I'd like to have a pair just for hiking and a pair for camp. The 3rd is just in case my hikin pair gets nasty. Wouldnt mind hikin in dry socks.....But, let me know what u think? Becuz of ur laughs and giggles. Im going with 2

i will be on the trail Feb 25th...Ive read from many whiteblazers that they enjoy having a clean pair for camp? What did i miss? Why is having 2 baselayers in the frst few months a bad idea? Again...it snowed in Alabama. Who knows what the weather will be like leading into April. Of course i'll drop a layer as i start getting a tan.

Humor me.

2 bandana
okay, just 1. For cleaning my pot and any other reason i seem fit. I thought 2 would be fine..but, i guess its funny?

Bruins Tshirt (in pack)
i was initially going to wear my Auburn Football Tshirt (natl' champs)...But, my Bruins will be in the playoffs in the early part of my hike...and seeing how i plan on doin MANY days in Town. Hitting bars/restaurants...Museums..Nashville? Maybe a concert? And a couple nights In NYC...I figure i need some party clothes while in town and doin laundry. to think about it...i might need to add a pair of lightweight shorts to drink in as well.

Humor me...Why is this a bad idea?

Fleece top
Christmas present from my brother...also got me my Thru Hiker companion. I figure he would enjoy seeing me wearing it in the pictures to come. I did lie...its not completely made of fleece..polyester as well. Form fitting and very far from any bulk.

i lied...Only bringing 1 pair. Sorry if this made u shake ur head. shoulda realised that a baselayer will double as underwear.

Marmot Zeus
Love it

Trail runners
dont wanna go barefoot

fleece hat
short haircut...prob a good idea for some warmth

again...and im trying to get you jealous. I will be spending Many nights in town. Nice clean sweatshirt, i thought wasnt a bad idea. At least for the first few months. Its about 4 years old..beat up and not bulky or even that warm.

Humor me...why a bad idea? I might just change my mind on this.

You really get killed here. Too much clothes and too many of them are bulky.

The bulky stuff is your socks, base layers, fleece jacket, fleece hat, sweatshirt.

If you're hiking, you really don't need much to stay warm. Just be sure to quickly throw on your down jacket during breaks. If you're cold while hiking, you can put on your rain gear because it's probably the wind that's making you cold. Actually, put on your rain jacket backwards, otherwise your back will get sweaty...this will also help you regulate temperature and moisture better. Soo...at a minimum, I would get rid of the bottom base layer for hiking.

Either accept that your clothes will be dirty or you will be nude when you get into your sleeping bag, or try something less bulky. I don't know what's less bulky, but this silk underwear (http://theunderwearguys.com/product_info.php?cPath=65&products_id=182) might do the trick.

Admittedly, I often hike with a fleece and a down jacket in the winter. I guess I can't fault you there. You do have a base layer though. I advise picking between the hiking base layer or the fleece jacket.

Gifts are tough, especially when it's Auburn. I lived in Montgomery for a few years, I kind of know how it is. Unfortunately I think you much get rid of the sweatshirt to save space, especially if it's cotton. If it's synthetic, then maybe carry the sweatshirt instead of the hiking base layer and fleece jacket.

You might want to consider swapping the fleece hat for a down hat, or if you can sew, the Ray Way bomber hat.

As for the Bruins shirt, what about mailing that to yourself at whatever town you think you'll be partying in? You don't need it for laundry, that's what rain gear is for, and the Dri Ducks rain gear was a good idea.

I didn't see a pad. This is going outside your pack? You really don't have space inside.

You're still going to have a lot of volume. Putting gear inside gear like you're doing with your cooking gear is a really good idea. Don't use compression bags because they create dead space, instead, put your sleeping bag and clothes loosely in the bottom of your pack and push it down with the rest of your gear. If space is still at a premium, you may need to switch your cooking gear for something smaller or even go without it entirely. You might want to start experimenting with cookless meals. As I noted earlier, you want to store as much gear outside of the main compartment as possible, but it's not like you'll have much of a choice about this.

Don't forget that you will be storing food inside your pack. As a rough guess, that will be another 500 cubic inches.

If you minimize your clothing, dump the cooking gear, and pack well, I think you might be able to use a Catalyst or something comparable.

Please note, my tips are focused on saving volume, not weight.

flemdawg1
01-19-2011, 18:22
Why are you going to Nashville? That's not near the trail. Did you mean Atlanta or Knoxville?