PDA

View Full Version : gortex shoe liner

Megapixel
01-17-2011, 15:00
We went on a rain shakedown today in a very nice downpour for about two miles, and my wife's feet were soaked while my gortex lined light hiking shoes kept my feet bone dry.
Will this be the same after 8 miles? 2 or 3 days? Will the gortex stop working over time?

10-K
01-17-2011, 15:43
We went on a rain shakedown today in a very nice downpour for about two miles, and my wife's feet were soaked while my gortex lined light hiking shoes kept my feet bone dry.
Will this be the same after 8 miles? 2 or 3 days? Will the gortex stop working over time?

The answer is yes - if you had walked 6 miles in the rain your feet would be as wet as hers except hers would dry faster.

It happens quicker if you're in mud.

shelterbuilder
01-17-2011, 22:34

The short answer is, "yes, it will fail over time".

Goretex is okay when it's new, but as you continue to walk on it, it will develop areas of wear which, over time, will eventually leak.

10-K is also correct - Goretex tends to keep a certain amount of LIQUID water trapped. The "breathing pores" in the membrane are smaller than a water droplet, but larger than a water molecule in vapor form - the vapor tends to pass through, but liquid water tends to stay put...at least until it vaporizes, which could take a long time.

BrianLe
01-18-2011, 05:45
If you're concerned you could consider goretex socks. You want to pair these with very breathable shoes, so that with a nice humidity delta there's good ventilation to allow the goretex to move the vapor outside of the shoe. This way your shoes dry faster, and you get more breathable shoes for non-rainy times.

Not a panacea; you might find them uncomfortable or feel seams, wrinkles from these somewhat stiff socks, but it's an option to consider. I like them in snow.

10-K
01-18-2011, 07:30
If you're concerned you could consider goretex socks. You want to pair these with very breathable shoes, so that with a nice humidity delta there's good ventilation to allow the goretex to move the vapor outside of the shoe. This way your shoes dry faster, and you get more breathable shoes for non-rainy times.

Not a panacea; you might find them uncomfortable or feel seams, wrinkles from these somewhat stiff socks, but it's an option to consider. I like them in snow.

That's what I've completely switched over too this winter for hiking in the snow. I've been wearing a mid-weight wool sock with a goretex sock over it with my trail runners covered by a pair of short eVent gaiters and my feet stay completely dry and warm no matter how wet and mucky my shoes get.

Much better than boots IMO.