PDA

View Full Version : pct in april/may 2011

mac attack
01-17-2011, 15:44
hiked the at SOBO in 2009, been working since, and had the PCT in mind. Was supposed to move to bozeman and live/work there, but got dumped last minute. PLAN B! HIKE THE PCT!

So now I get to wander a bit, live on some couches and prey on hot guys in ski town. And start planning.

Just starting to do my research, already own enough gear (thank you pro-deals!), and don't have any commitments in the way. Was wondering though what would be the best trail guide book to use. I discovered that with the AT I went for the most popular...but wasn't happy with my choice. While the mileage was accurate, it left out all the little hidden wonders of the trail.

Likely going to aim to take off around the ADZPCTKO weekend, and wondering if anyone else is planning for this weekend? Love talking about gear and crap, so if anyone is in a place similar to me and working on the planning, I'd love to have someone to bounce ideas around with. Additionally, I hated the idea of mail drops on the AT and only used them when I needed something replaced. So opinions on this for the PCT are welcome!

Like always aiming to do things cheaply, but really I just need to commit to this and start getting excited...

annie

leaftye
01-17-2011, 16:06
Yogi for the trail & town guide. Halfmile or Postholer for maps. Asabat for the water report. That's what I use.

But you want the little wonders. In that case, you want the 3-book set from Wilderness Press.

Mags
01-17-2011, 16:16
I wrote this Q&D guide...maybe it will help?

http://www.pmags.com/pacific-crest-trail-planning-info

lori
01-17-2011, 18:07
I suspect you will need to use mail drops on the PCT... it's not like the AT with all the stores just off trail. Suggest you read those guides and the PCTA website, and get used to the idea of a bear canister, at least for the Sierra Nevada stretch.

Desert Reprobate
01-17-2011, 18:38
Attend the ADZPCTKO for up to date water information and presentations about the trail. Folks that start early often shuttle back to attend.

leaftye
01-17-2011, 18:54
I wouldn't attend ADZPCTKO for a water update. A fresh up-to-date water report can be printed out at Warner Springs, Idyllwild and Big Bear. I'm sure there are a few places further down the trail too, but that's as far as I made it. It's worth attending for a snow update though. People much further down the trail are usually there and will tell what the snow is like up ahead.

Woods
01-17-2011, 20:44
I sent you a pm as I'm looking at that same time frame maybe a little later or maybe just more 0 days depending on snow levels.

BrianLe
01-18-2011, 05:49
In addition to Mags resource, you could consider the FAQ on Postholer (http://postholer.com/faq.php#Maps).

sbhikes
01-23-2011, 21:49
I used the three wilderness press guide books and the data book that goes with it. I guess that's old-fashioned nowadays. I liked the wordy guidebooks but I like words and I like natural history. You can do the trail without maildrops from home. Just do them on the trail. Plenty of stores along the way, just some are really small so you do a maildrop from a larger store to some of the places with smaller ones up ahead. Yogi's guide is good for knowing what towns have what.

StormBird
03-17-2011, 04:16
I am planning to start the trail after the kick off weekend. See you out there!