PDA

View Full Version : january night at mashipacong shelter

trainhopper
01-17-2011, 20:51
Camping at mashipacong as I speak. Cold but not terrible with a fire and dry clothes. Concerned about tomorrows weather of snow freezing rain and rain. Only a two night hike so not far to go but winter camping is a different experience. Dumbass friend forgot tent poles but we made a tarp out of tent. Hope these winter bags do the job. Any words of advice or encouragement would be great.

Cookerhiker
01-17-2011, 21:37
Good luck, enjoy the outdoors, and stay warm! Freezing rain could be a problem in an open tent converted into a tarp so perhaps you should stay in a shelter for your second night. Keepping those dry clothes dry is key to a comfortable night.

BTW, is Mashipacong the shelter with the elaborate privy?

johnnybgood
01-17-2011, 21:42
Staying dry is your major concern tomorrow , tonight it's about staying warm.
Insulated long john's and top with dry omni-wool socks and head cap with what your wearing .
Down is best for winter camping . What kinda bags do you and your friend have ?
-- what's the temp. rating ?
Hopefully you have good rain gear for tomorrow. Gaiters ? extra pair of socks --

trainhopper
01-17-2011, 21:50
overpacked plenty of clothes. Both people with me have down marmot bags rated 0. I have synthetic nothface neg 20. Staying dry is key but going to be hard tomorrow. High around 30 you think it would just snow.

10-K
01-17-2011, 22:00
Oh wow.. did you string the tent up so you can use the tent floor as a ground cloth?

Forgetting the tent poles is a pretty big forget. :)

trainhopper
01-17-2011, 22:07
No we all have sleeping pads used canopy and tent as a tarp with shelter. Just got in bag now and am toasty. Hope it lasts till am. Goodnight