PDA

View Full Version : January/Febuary Hike on southern AT

Transient Being
01-17-2011, 21:09
Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, but does anybody do any 7-14 day hikes this time of year? I really don't have anything better to do this time of year, so the thought has crossed my mind recently.

trainhopper
01-17-2011, 21:18
Im in nothern nj part of appalachian right now and its cold but if you prepare you can do that length down south . Research the temps down there and get a suitable bag. Go for it.

Tennessee Viking
01-17-2011, 21:28
I have heard of thru-thikers starting as early as Thanksgiving. Go ahead for it.

Cookerhiker
01-17-2011, 21:31
There are several WBers who backpack in winter. Tipi Walter goes out for the length of time you're talking about.

The key is having the right gear and knowing how to use it. Search around the forums and you'll see lots of threads on winter camping including some recent discussions.

Im in nothern nj part of appalachian right now and its cold but if you prepare you can do that length down south . Research the temps down there and get a suitable bag. Go for it.

Chances are the AT is colder in the South than Northern NJ because of the elevation difference - you're at least 2,500' higher in GA and possibly 4,000' higher in places if you hike in NC.

The Solemates
01-18-2011, 07:41
winter is my favorite hiking season in the south. i dont get to head out for 7-14 days at a time, but i often do 3-5 day trips in the winter.

jeremesh
01-18-2011, 07:47
winter is my favorite hiking season in the south. i dont get to head out for 7-14 days at a time, but i often do 3-5 day trips in the winter.

Same here, I much prefer the cooler weather but a weekend is about all I get to do unfortunately.

birdog
01-18-2011, 09:06
I do the GSMNP section(70 miles) at least once every winter. I like the solitude and the challenge. I'm prepared for it because the temps can be 15 below zero at night. The snow depth can REALLY slow you down at times but i've had some of my best times on the trail during the winter. Go for it!

10-K
01-18-2011, 09:12
Man I've been trying to go on a hike since before Christmas and haven't been able to because of the snow.... (I want to hike, not hunker down or go camping).

My current plan is to hike the BMT through GSMNP the 29th of this month and that's looking sketchy at the moment.

At least I can do 10-20 mile day hikes but I'm really hitching to go on a longer multi-day hike.

The Solemates
01-18-2011, 16:09
Man I've been trying to go on a hike since before Christmas and haven't been able to because of the snow.... (I want to hike, not hunker down or go camping).

My current plan is to hike the BMT through GSMNP the 29th of this month and that's looking sketchy at the moment.

At least I can do 10-20 mile day hikes but I'm really hitching to go on a longer multi-day hike.

huh? whats wrong with snow?

10-K
01-18-2011, 17:04
huh? whats wrong with snow?

Nothing when it's not 2' deep.

I like to hike, not slog.

The Solemates
01-18-2011, 18:02
:) sounds like its time to bust out the snowshoes or skis

do you really have 2 feet? i was just in NC a couple weeks ago...there were 2 foot drifts, but certainly not 2 feet of a uniform snow blanket

kayak karl
01-18-2011, 18:07
I have heard of thru-thikers starting as early as Thanksgiving. Go ahead for it.
who would you expect to see in the middle of the winter. nobody is out there.:rolleyes:

10-K
01-18-2011, 18:07
:) sounds like its time to bust out the snowshoes or skis

do you really have 2 feet? i was just in NC a couple weeks ago...there were 2 foot drifts, but certainly not 2 feet of a uniform snow blanket

No, not here but I was looking at the GSMNP website and they had a blurb about there being deep snow and ice and some trails being impassable (http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm).

That's where my planned hike is. I'm working on a Plan B now just in case but a lot can happen in the next 11 days.

rockytop7
01-18-2011, 23:54
A friend of mine was in the Slick Rock area (south of GSMNP) this weekend and there were waist high drifts in the higher elevations, but it is beginning to warm some.

hopetofinish
01-19-2011, 00:06
Anyone know about snow conditions from Hot Springs to Devil Fork Gap? I'm with 10-K, I want to hike, not "slog" thru snow.
Looks like there'll be some more melting throughout the week, but the ridge may be a different story.

The Solemates
01-19-2011, 05:55
snowing like crazy where i'm at right now