PDA

View Full Version : Where/when to switch from Winter to Summer gear

RichardD
01-17-2011, 21:39
I will be starting the AT from Springer on March 23. I have just purchased a Winter underquilt for my Hammock and combining this with my WM 20 deg bag and down jacket I am pretty sure of sleeping warm.
I plan on sending this gear home and using my Nest underquilt, a very lightweight synthetic bag rated to 32 deg (good to about 45 deg) and my Mont Bel down liner jacket. This should keep me comfortable to about 40 - 45 deg.
My question is where / when would I likely need to make these switches.
I was thinking Damascus or possibly Groseclose to switch to Summer gear (likely end April/ early May at my hiking rate) and somewhere before the Whites to switch back to Winter gear. I am not at all familiar with the country North of Virginia but I have seen recommendations of Gorham NH to switch back to Winter gear.
I realise that I could well have to make adjustments to plans along the way but I want to at least have mail to adresses set up for my wife to mail the gear before I start my hike.

DrRichardCranium
01-17-2011, 21:44
Switch to summer gear in Damascus, VA, then switch back at Glenclliff, NH.

Lone Wolf
01-17-2011, 21:53
switch in Pearisburg, Va. no sooner. trust me

StormBird
01-17-2011, 22:15
get summer gear in pearisburg, va and winter gear in glencliff, nh

topshelf
01-17-2011, 23:21
I'd switch after you get through Grayson Highlands. Just because of the variability on the mountain. Last May I was on Grayson and I thought it would be a nice temp. day and it was in the 30's and blowin 40 mph. So agreed on Pearisburg. You could always get it sent to where ever and bouncebox it a time or two until you don't think you need it anymore.

stranger
01-17-2011, 23:29

Agreed...switching at Damascus is often too early, when you leave Damascus you go back up to 5000 feet again and you can see snow, even in May. If you are really looking to get rid of stuff wait to Atkins, just after Grayson Highlands.

CrumbSnatcher
01-18-2011, 01:40
after the grayson highlands

Jim Adams
01-18-2011, 16:16
get summer gear in pearisburg, va and winter gear in glencliff, nh

says it all!:sun

geek

RichardD
01-18-2011, 23:46
Thanks for the info. Pearisburg it is. Also Glencliff, NH

Spokes
01-18-2011, 23:52

1+......... LW is right.

then Hanover, NH (Glencliff at the latest!)

Bronk
01-19-2011, 06:00
The rule of thumb I was told before I left was do not send your winter gear home until after April 15th or after you pass Roan Mountain, whichever is later. So I sent my stuff home from the post office in Elk Park, NC.

Didn't have any problems until I was 2 days outside of Pearisburg and woke up to SNOW on May 21st. The night before I was so cold I wrapped both my tent and rainfly around the outside of my sleeping bag. The only clothing I had was a pair of shorts, a pair of jogging pants, a sleeveless tshirt and a rain jacket. IT WAS COLD.