PDA

View Full Version : My thru hike clothes

Snake Farm
01-17-2011, 22:19
Today I went on a little (big, $350) shopping spree at EMS. I picked up most of my clothing for my through hike.

Marmot Zeus 800 fill down jacket
Marmot PreCip Rainjacket
Field and Stream Rainpants
EMS Techwick Midweight Pants
EMS Techwick Midweight 1/2 zip top
ExOfficio Boxers
EMS Techwick Boxers
EMS Techwick Long Sleeve Shirt
EMS Techwick Tee
EMS Excursion Pants, the legs zip off to make shorts
Smartwool socks medium cushionx2
Smartwool socks light cushionx2
(Gonna take three pairs of socks with me, or 2 depending on my total pack weight.)
Gonna go pick up some swim trunks at WalMart if I can find any, and that should do it.

P.S. If you guys are interested, EMS is having a winter sale. I got almost all my gear at like 20-40% off. (Sorry if thats advertising, just letting you guys know)

Stir Fry
01-17-2011, 22:24
Look good I'd leave the rain pants and get a rain rap............ Cooler and easer to put on and take off. Also lighter

Snake Farm
01-17-2011, 22:27
Rain rap? Not sure i've heard of that, care to fill me in friend?

leaftye
01-17-2011, 22:42
Rain skirt. Make it yourself, or get one from ULA or Zpacks.

10-K
01-17-2011, 22:49
The only thing about a wrap in March is that a good cold drizzle mixed with some sleet is a real possibility and with a wrap your pants below the knees get wet.

I love my ULA skirt but I'd take real rain paints if the temps were going to be in the 40's or below.

Snake Farm
01-17-2011, 22:52
I think im gonna stay with my rainpants, dont really like the skirt look or the fact that my legs are exposed. But thanks for the info.

How's the clothing list looking to everyone else?

leaftye
01-17-2011, 22:58
It looks heavy to me. I don't need insulation when I'm hiking, especially for my legs. Do you? If I need anything, it's just something to break the wind, which is much lighter and smaller. You already have plenty of insulation in that down jacket for breaks and camp.

Blissful
01-17-2011, 23:01
List looks pretty good to me.

Snake Farm
01-17-2011, 23:09
It looks heavy to me. I don't need insulation when I'm hiking, especially for my legs. Do you? If I need anything, it's just something to break the wind, which is much lighter and smaller. You already have plenty of insulation in that down jacket for breaks and camp.

The reason for the insulation is that I hear its still snowy in Georgia in April and when I get to the whites I know i'll want them. If they get to be unecessary i'll just mail 'em home.

On another note; I absolutely hate when these products dont have the weight listed on them. I've been searching the web and cant find too many answers either. Guess i'll just have to stuff sack them and weigh them together.

sbhikes
01-17-2011, 23:13
Leave the mid-weight stuff home. Rainpants + Excursion pants = mid-weight pants. Rain jacket + Techwick Tee or Long-sleeved Shirt = Midweight top. (I'd bring the long-sleeved and leave the Tee home, but then I live out west where it's not humid and the mosquitoes will eat me up.)

Swim trunks? Whatever happened to skinny dipping?

chiefiepoo
01-17-2011, 23:16
Ex officio boxers make tolerable swim trunks, appearance wise. Dry quickly too. You'll figure a way to keep your junk out of sight.

Snake Farm
01-17-2011, 23:27
By swim trunks I meant the cheap nylon ones from walmart to use as a second pair of shorts/bottoms. Currently I only have my excursion pants/shorts.

letmebefreee
01-17-2011, 23:52
I'd say it looks pretty good. Swim trunks are probably not necessary, though because when will you really need a 2nd pair of shorts? During laundry, we wore our rain pants & for swimming, we swam in our clothes/underwear because let's face it, they needed to be immersed in water anyway. ;)

HOWEVER, I am a believer in taking maybe more than you need & sending it home IF you decide you don't need it once you're out there. Your back will tell you whether or not it wants you to carry so much crap or not! I carried a small fleece blanket with me all the way & so many people thought I was completely nuts BUT it made me comfortable & that was something I had to decide for myself.

Snake Farm
01-21-2011, 17:39
I weighed it all out today and it came to 6lbs. for everything (raingear, down jacket, clothing worn. Anyone care to comment? Think its too heavy/just right?

Snake Farm
01-21-2011, 17:41
This doesnt include boots and I forgot to get a hat and mittens.

valiweva
01-21-2011, 17:48
I bought a big agnes fly creek 2 tent in portsmouth for $296.I plan on taking advantage of that sale for more stuff.

hikerboy57
01-21-2011, 17:51
This doesnt include boots and I forgot to get a hat and mittens.
I love EMS gear, but instead of the precip, take a look at the Marmot Mica. Its lighter , much more breathable, and has kept me dry in downpours. Its a bit more expensive, though.

soulslosher
01-25-2011, 10:08
When are you leaving?

It seems you have too many pants.. Keep the rain pants and also get baggy synthetic shorts or just take the excursion pants... and so there solves your shorts problem as well.. And two long sleeve shirts? Are you a cold hiker?

Funkmeister
01-25-2011, 10:49
I hate EMS clothing. Tecwick stuff unraveled quickly (after a few washings). Zip-off pants had zipper problems within a season of using them heavily. Sure, you can return it, but I'd rather save the time and get another manufacturer's stuff.

I'd like you choice of down jacket, though. Nice buy.

Snake Farm
01-26-2011, 19:21
Well im starting in rought March 28th and I feel like its still gonna be a bit chilly. Just wanna be prepared. Worst case scenario, I mail them home.

Snake Farm
01-26-2011, 19:22
Roughly, that is ^

Snoring Sarge
02-05-2011, 22:55
You can save the postage and just leave unwanted stuff in a hiker box.. Karma always comes around.

swjohnsey
02-06-2011, 00:16
Marmot Precip top and pants
100 fleece 1/4 zip top and pants
running shorts
long sleeve poly T-shirt
fleece hat
fleece gloves
3 pr Wrightsocks
down booties (for sleeping)

Leaving March 30.

bigcranky
02-06-2011, 10:00
Your list is fine, enjoy the hike. You'll want the rain pants for cold wet weather, and the mid weight layers for camp and sleeping. The down jacket is very useful at the start of a nobo thru hike, and again at the end.