PDA

View Full Version : Durable raingear

topshelf
01-17-2011, 22:37
Is there any suggestions for some durable rain gear?

I need something to protect from the rain while hiking, fishing, and coaching athletics. I'm looking for a jacket and pants, no ponchos of any sort.

I fish in some pretty remote and rough terrian that involves a ton of climbing over rocks. It is where I'll be the roughest on a jacket.

I also don't want to spend a whole ton on this pair either. I can't afford to drop more than $100 on the jacket and about the same on the pants.

I highly doubt this is possible, but just maybe...

leaftye
01-17-2011, 22:47
Military goretex. It's about as bomber as it gets. You could probably get both for $50.

topshelf
01-17-2011, 22:56
Does it come in non-camo?

leaftye
01-17-2011, 22:59
It does if you're willing to look around and probably pay a lot more.

topshelf
01-17-2011, 23:02
How durable is the Marmot Precip?

Blissful
01-17-2011, 23:11
Precip is pretty durable, I have used it on two LD hikes.

Hubby loves his dri ducks.

topshelf
01-17-2011, 23:15
I'd buy some driducks in a heartbeat if I didn't have to use it for fishing also. They wouldn't last one day and there's no way I can afford to get two jackets.

DBT fan
01-18-2011, 01:29
Precip is pretty durable, I have used it on two LD hikes.

Hubby loves his dri ducks.

Marmot Precip are more durable than the Driducks but the ducks are much cheaper.

Tinker
01-18-2011, 01:36
The Precip doesn't breathe well enough to keep up with a sweating hiker. It's well ventilated, though, and tough. The waterproofing comes from a combination of a polyurethane inner coating and a durable water repellant treatment on the outside. The DWR is subject to wear and contamination by dirt, and when that happens, the water "sheets" (spreads by molecular cohesion) and makes the garment completely non-breathable. If the DWR is not replenished the fabric will eventually leak through. I've had trouble with the inner coating peeling off around the back of the neck with the three jackets I had (may have been fixed - I haven't owned one for three years).
eVent fabric is supposed to be the most breathable waterproof fabric. I have an REI Shuksan jacket which is expensive, but it's durable. It still doesn't handle my sweat when I'm hiking all out in wet weather.

topshelf
01-18-2011, 06:55
The Precip doesn't breathe well enough to keep up with a sweating hiker. It's well ventilated, though, and tough. The waterproofing comes from a combination of a polyurethane inner coating and a durable water repellant treatment on the outside. The DWR is subject to wear and contamination by dirt, and when that happens, the water "sheets" (spreads by molecular cohesion) and makes the garment completely non-breathable. If the DWR is not replenished the fabric will eventually leak through. I've had trouble with the inner coating peeling off around the back of the neck with the three jackets I had (may have been fixed - I haven't owned one for three years).
eVent fabric is supposed to be the most breathable waterproof fabric. I have an REI Shuksan jacket which is expensive, but it's durable. It still doesn't handle my sweat when I'm hiking all out in wet weather.

this is what I've heard. Would there be any options in the 150 range if I didn't get any pants to go with?

BackTrack1
01-18-2011, 08:36
I wouldnt recomend dry ducks if you are going to be near any trees, my Girlfreind had a pair and ruined them on the first twig she came accross,
as far as a recomendation, I cant help you, im in the process of trying to find good rain gear myself, I'll keep watching this thread.
I currently have a Marmot, I dont know if its really waterproof or if im sweating in there.

topshelf
01-18-2011, 09:15
I wouldnt recomend dry ducks if you are going to be near any trees, my Girlfreind had a pair and ruined them on the first twig she came accross,
as far as a recomendation, I cant help you, im in the process of trying to find good rain gear myself, I'll keep watching this thread.
I currently have a Marmot, I dont know if its really waterproof or if im sweating in there.

have you tried the old put it over a bucket and put some water on it? it'll tell you if it's waterproof or water resistant or neither.

bulldog49
01-18-2011, 09:44
Is there any suggestions for some durable rain gear?

I need something to protect from the rain while hiking, fishing, and coaching athletics. I'm looking for a jacket and pants, no ponchos of any sort.

I fish in some pretty remote and rough terrian that involves a ton of climbing over rocks. It is where I'll be the roughest on a jacket.

I also don't want to spend a whole ton on this pair either. I can't afford to drop more than $100 on the jacket and about the same on the pants.

I highly doubt this is possible, but just maybe...

Given your price constraints the Precip is an excellent choice, good balance between breathability, durability and price. I used a Precip jacket for about 5 years before it wore out. I'm on my 2nd pair of precip pants.

sixguns01
01-18-2011, 09:46
I have both the Precip and Dri-Ducks jacket. The Precip is very durable and use it on trips when I know I will encounter a lot of rain. The Dri-Ducks are used when I'm pretty sure that rain is unlikey but I have been caught out in downpours and they have held up great. Plus the dri-Ducks suit, jackets and pants, run about 15 bucks total. Dri-Ducks aren't the best for bushwacking but you don't need that.

my 2 cents

topshelf
01-18-2011, 09:57
I have both the Precip and Dri-Ducks jacket. The Precip is very durable and use it on trips when I know I will encounter a lot of rain. The Dri-Ducks are used when I'm pretty sure that rain is unlikey but I have been caught out in downpours and they have held up great. Plus the dri-Ducks suit, jackets and pants, run about 15 bucks total. Dri-Ducks aren't the best for bushwacking but you don't need that.

my 2 cents

Well I know I won't be bushwacking on the AT, but I need a dual purpose jacket for fishing and yes I will be bushwacking and encountering many briars and rocky situations.

topshelf
01-18-2011, 10:00
REDO!

Well I know I won't be bushwacking on the AT, but I need a dual purpose jacket for fishing and hiking. When I fish I will be bushwacking while fishing highland streams and will be encountering many briars and rocky situations.

mister krabs
01-18-2011, 10:13
Basspro and cabelas have goretex paclite jackets for about 100 bucks. They are a tough option and about as cheap as it gets for unused real goretex. They don't have any pit zips, but the mesh pockets work semi-OK for ventilation. Bass Pro (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_74200_325016000_325000000_325016000_325-16-0) has them on closeout for 80$ Cabelas has them for 100 (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-GORE-TEX174-PacLite174-Rainy-River8482-Parka-150-Regular/724148.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3D searchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProduc ts%26Ntt%3Dpaclite%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeade r%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=paclite&WTz_l=Header;Search-All%20Products)

the goat
01-18-2011, 10:29
How durable is the Marmot Precip?

precip is great, definitely durable enough for your purposes.

Wags
01-18-2011, 10:58
mr crabs giving great advise. the cabela's jacket is actually a pretty sweet option.

topshelf
01-18-2011, 11:21
Anybody know how much the cabelas jacket weighs? How small does it pack down?

topshelf
01-18-2011, 12:18
After some searching I found this link to some backpacker magazine reviews

http://www.backpacker.com/september-2010-100-rainshells/gear/14468

mister krabs
01-18-2011, 12:23
I have the bass pro one. It packs in its pocket to about 6x6x2.5 inches. Mine is 15oz. Another thread on whiteblaze stated the cabelas weighs the same.

TallShark
01-19-2011, 00:24
Marmot Precip jackets right now on Sierra trading post for super cheap by the way... i think if you sign up and get the coupon they're sub 75 dollars.... holla

ec.hiker
01-19-2011, 00:37
I got some marinecorp issued rain pants and jacket and they are super durable I got 3 sets check out the gear for sale forrum.