PDA

View Full Version : Merrel Moab Mid

Snake Farm
01-17-2011, 22:38
Hey all, I was looking at a few hiking shoes today and came across the Merrel Moab midsize boot (http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/12464M/0/Mens/Moab-Mid-GORE-TEX-XCR?dimensions=0)

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these shoes? Im looking for a compromise between waterproofing and breathability. I hear Goretex holds water out for a bit but then takes forever to dry when wet, and they also make your foot turn into a sauna. Any advice is much appreciated!

Blissful
01-17-2011, 22:59
Hey all, I was looking at a few hiking shoes today and came across the Merrel Moab midsize boot (http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/12464M/0/Mens/Moab-Mid-GORE-TEX-XCR?dimensions=0)

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these shoes? Im looking for a compromise between waterproofing and breathability. I hear Goretex holds water out for a bit but then takes forever to dry when wet, and they also make your foot turn into a sauna. Any advice is much appreciated!

They are pretty heavy I see. I wouldn't want an exrtea 2 lbs on my feet. And they are not needed for AT hiking.

bert304
01-17-2011, 23:06
I have a pair and I think they are great. They do get a little warm when it is real hot but I do not mind. The one issue I have had with the boots is the small shoe lace keeper on the tongue of left shoe tore when I pulled the laces tight. I would give them an 9 out of 10. The soles grip really good on the rocks here in PA.

centsless
01-17-2011, 23:40
I have those exact shoes, except that they are the non GORE-Tex version. I really like hiking in them.

They do run a bit small in the footbox, but other than that they are very comfortable, grips really well, even in wet terrain. (compared to my new Keen Targhee II... which will be retired pretty soon)

I've hiked in them in the Adirondacks & Smokies and they've held up pretty well.

Try Zappos, you might get a better price on them too.

STICK
01-17-2011, 23:48
I have them, the exact pair. They have been great boots. Never even a hot spot. Kept my feet dry in wet conditions. Warm in the cold conditions, and fairly cool in the warmer months. Traction is great, but IMO the best traction is proper foot placement.

However, no matter how good (or bad) the boot is it really all comes down to how well it fits your foot.

jeremesh
01-18-2011, 00:12
I have wide feet and these worked well for me. It took me a while to figuer out proper lacing but once I did, they are great.

Luddite
01-18-2011, 00:50
I had a pair of Moab Ventilators and the rubber piece over the toes tore off pretty quickly. That happened with another pair of Merrells I had too.

These are the ones I'm talking about. http://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Moab-Vent-Walnut-Shoes/dp/B0046W5LFC

Snake Farm
01-18-2011, 18:15
Im gonna go try them on sometime this week, as well as some others. Anyone have recommendations that I should keep my eye out for?

Buffalo Skipper
01-18-2011, 18:21
I have the non-GorTex version (Moab Ventilators). I love them! They are comfortable and keep you dry because they breath so well. I wore them this last weekend with wool blend socks (one day SmartWool, the next Thorlo wool-blend). After a day of hiking, the socks were not even damp! I credit the boots.

I have not yet worn these in wet hiking conditions, so I cannot fully (blindly) endorse them in wet conditions, but I went with these because of reviews I read of a guy wearing these in Alaska (summer). He said they shed water so well after crossing streams that they were dry by morning.

Good luck making a choice.