PDA

View Full Version : Portable stoves...

Chubbs4U
01-18-2011, 03:21
I have been looking into the MSR Reactor stove and the Jetboil stoves. Jetboil has a few and the MSR is a bit bigger but doesnt lock into the "flames". Any thoughts?

leaftye
01-18-2011, 03:27
Are you looking at the titanium Jetboil?

Chubbs4U
01-18-2011, 03:57
Hey leaftye. You seem to be around quite a bit and people like me, inexperienced, really appreciate it. Not sure which one but saw a few I liked. I bought the MSR online from a store and just happened to be in the area of an REI. I went in and checked out the stoves and really liked how the Jetboil was connected and it was a bit smaller. Ill decide when I get my MSR but wanted to hear others opinions. If their is a better Jetboil to get let me know.

leaftye
01-18-2011, 04:41
I have a Jetboil, but haven't been able to play with the MSR. I'm sure both are very good stoves. From the reviews I've read, picking between the two is splitting hairs. Anyway, Jetboil showed a titanium version at the Outdoor Retailer show last year. If I remember correctly, it's a bit shorter and weighs just under 10 ounces.

Okay, so the convenience of the MSR Reactor and Jetboil are very tempting. If you only do freezer bag cooking and if you can give up some convenience, you might want to look at the Backcountry Boiler (http://www.theboilerwerks.com/). Not only does it weigh less, but you also don't have to carry around a fuel canister.

rockytop7
01-19-2011, 21:07
Both are very similar products from very reliable companies. Only reason I would suggest to choose one or the other is if you are concerned with weight or packability, in that case go with the smaller lighter one (jetboil). If you're not concerned with those factors, just pick which one you think is the prettiest! I do believe the jetboil will bring 2 cups to boil in 90 seconds, which is pretty impressive. Not sure about the reactor though.

greginmi
01-21-2011, 16:52
I have both and found you need to get the stove that meets your needs.

The Jetboil is mainly a smaller version of the Reactor with a couple critical differences. The Reactor definitely has an advantage when it comes to capacity and cold weather/high altitude conditions. The Jetboil is a bit more flexible in that you can do more then boil water if you get the pot stand and stabilizer kit.

Both stoves are very rugged, pack up efficiently and boil water very quickly.

I bought the Reactor intending on selling the Jetboil, but ended up keeping both. Go figure...