PDA

View Full Version : Winter backpacking/camping

DAJA
01-18-2011, 09:13
Has anyone considered doing your hiking/snowshoeing during the night when it's coldest as your body heat will keep you warm, then sleeping during the day with the sun keeping you comfy warm under your tent/tarp/hammock?

Just a thought recently on a night snowshoe... I was warm, and visability was remarkable with the moon reflecting off the snow..

Yukon
01-18-2011, 09:16
Snowshoeing at night with a clear sky and a full moon is AWESOME!

canoehead
01-18-2011, 09:29
Add some Backcountry skiing into the mix and that will be a good time. Actually we do it all the time at night, full moons are great.

jeremesh
01-18-2011, 09:30
Add some Backcountry skiing into the mix and that will be a good time. Actually we do it all the time at night, full moons are great.

And tomorrow night is the full moon:sun

canoehead
01-18-2011, 09:37
I'll be out in it. Right now its snowing we've got almost 25" of the white stuff on the ground and we're in for 8" today & maybe some to top it off.

garlic08
01-18-2011, 09:37
I suppose in ideal conditions it would be nice--full moon, no deep-snow trail hazards like creeks or tree wells, little or no avalanche hazard, with a well-marked or already-packed trail, or in an area you're familiar with. I've enjoyed evening trips like that but have never considered an all-nighter. I think I'd have to work a while at changing my daily rhythm for that.

DAJA
01-18-2011, 09:46
I'll be out in it. Right now its snowing we've got almost 25" of the white stuff on the ground and we're in for 8" today & maybe some to top it off.

We're having a bad snow year here in Eastern Canada again this year... We might have 12" on the ground and it's pretty crusty, but I'll take what I can get at this point.. Calling for snow then rain then freezing rain then snow tonight and tomorrow.. So I can't imagine we'll have much snow by tomorrow.. Hoping for a big dump this weekend..

I suppose in ideal conditions it would be nice--full moon, no deep-snow trail hazards like creeks or tree wells, little or no avalanche hazard, with a well-marked or already-packed trail, or in an area you're familiar with. I've enjoyed evening trips like that but have never considered an all-nighter. I think I'd have to work a while at changing my daily rhythm for that.

Yeah, you'd wan't to be confident in your surroundings for sure to avoid injury or worse.. And it would take some effort to change your sleep pattern to a daytime routine, but millions of folks do it for work, so surely I could adjust accordingly..