PDA

View Full Version : Hiker Hostel in GA

walrus5757
01-18-2011, 14:57
Does anyone know if the Hiker Hostel in GA is still open? I have sent E-mail and no reply, I have called and the phone is Temporarily out of service.

Pak-Man
01-18-2011, 16:13
From what I know they are definitely up and opporating.. I would give it a little time. Josh is working a lot by himself because Leigh is out Training for a massive marathon..

"dirt"

mikecordes
01-18-2011, 16:29
They are open..I talked to Josh last week

swamp dawg
01-18-2011, 16:35
Try 770 312 7342 or email [email protected] , I will be there soon. The best hostel I have stayed at and the most friendly folks on the trail. Leave a message they will get back to you.

JaxHiker
01-18-2011, 16:52
Definitely a great place to stay.

ClassY
01-18-2011, 19:26
I talked to them today on the phone. Made reservations w them as well.
They will get your messages and will do their best to accomidate you.

~ClassY

johnnyblisters
01-18-2011, 19:28
Cant wait to stay there, April 5th confirmed!

writeronthestorm
01-18-2011, 20:13
I'm having a problem communicating with them as well. I filled out the reservation form online and I didn't hear back. After a couple weeks I decided to send an email, and then was promptly told that they had received my reservations, but my flight arrived too late in the day for a pick-up (7pm)... Which really sucks considering the change fee for my flight is $180.0... Anyways, I responded offering to pay extra for the late pick up, and/or asking if they would pick me up in the morning if I stayed at a hotel near the airport. That was about a week ago, and I still haven't heard back. I'm wondering if I should just forget about them and find another way. I mean I feel like they aren't very interested in me as a customer, and I'm feeling a little bummed about the whole thing. If they don't want my business I wish they would just tell me, instead of ignore me. It's frustrating.

Helios
01-18-2011, 20:33
I'm having a problem communicating with them as well. I filled out the reservation form online and I didn't hear back. After a couple weeks I decided to send an email, and then was promptly told that they had received my reservations, but my flight arrived too late in the day for a pick-up (7pm)... Which really sucks considering the change fee for my flight is $180.0... Anyways, I responded offering to pay extra for the late pick up, and/or asking if they would pick me up in the morning if I stayed at a hotel near the airport. That was about a week ago, and I still haven't heard back. I'm wondering if I should just forget about them and find another way. I mean I feel like they aren't very interested in me as a customer, and I'm feeling a little bummed about the whole thing. If they don't want my business I wish they would just tell me, instead of ignore me. It's frustrating.

Josh does his best to go out of his way and accomodate a lot, I mean A LOT, of folks. I spent 2 days there and rode around with him a bit. His phone doesn't stop and neither does his car.

They fix breakfast in the morning, then get everyone to the trail. Either Amicalola, the FSR, or Woody Gap. He even picked up and dropped a few section hikers off at Gooch Gap. These aren't short runs. Besides picking up folks at the train and bus station, it stays busy there.

They do there best to meet the needs of hikers, but can't do it all. If they emailed you back and said they can not, it's not that they don't want your business, it's just a matter of they are not able to.

Try Survivor Dave and see if he's available.

writeronthestorm
01-18-2011, 20:40
They never said they couldn't do it. They just that it was later than they normally picked up. And they also asked me If there were other options. Thats why I wrote back with those other ideas that I've listed in my previous post... And yeah, I'm sure they are great people, and I don't mean to come across like I think otherwise, it's just frustrating that I am not getting a response.

walrus5757
01-18-2011, 23:25
I have tried my phone and e-mail and have not been able to connect with them. It soulds like "the place to stay" and I hope to stay there....I was wanting to talk to them first before I book my flight. Perhaps tomorrow.

RockDoc
01-19-2011, 01:27
Nice folks indeed. And a tasty breakfast too.

My only comment would be to watch out if you are squeemish about high-speed rides on curvy dirt roads. Josh drives the road to Springer a lot and he drives it fast. On our ride to Springer a budding thru-hiker suddenly hollered "PULL OVER"! Josh stopped the van and the hiker jumped outside and immediately lost his breakfast.

I thought he deserved the trail name "Pull over" from that experience, but it did not seem to stick...

Trailweaver
01-19-2011, 03:02
I agree. . . don't want to ride in the back seat in that van!

For those who don't know - we have just had a realllly bad snow storm here in GA - unusual amount of snow for us - and it's possible that the HH lost power (and phone service?) during that time. I don't know this, but it could explain why they have been slow to respond to people's needs. Give them time - I've never been let down by them. They simply always come thru, and believe me - they do serve a lot of people, as well as a lot of great food!

traildust
01-19-2011, 10:24
Keep trying. Patience. It is worth it.

ARambler
01-19-2011, 13:47
Sunday, I was in the Atlanta airport and thought of the Hiker Hostel.
1) You should plan on using the MARTA train to get to North Atlanta.
2) You will still be a long way from the hostel. You should be particularly flexible if you are single. They loose money on you if they cannot combine rides.
3) 7 pm is too late to arrive at the airport.
4) Be nice to the hostel. They take many back to the airport after they get off the trail. If you cannot get on the trail, you may need them more to get home.
Rambler

Old Hiker
01-19-2011, 13:56
Nice folks indeed. And a tasty breakfast too.

My only comment would be to watch out if you are squeemish about high-speed rides on curvy dirt roads. Josh drives the road to Springer a lot and he drives it fast. On our ride to Springer a budding thru-hiker suddenly hollered "PULL OVER"! Josh stopped the van and the hiker jumped outside and immediately lost his breakfast.

I thought he deserved the trail name "Pull over" from that experience, but it did not seem to stick...

What?? Not Ralph? Ralphinator? Ralph-man? Ralph-of-the-woods?

walkin' wally
01-19-2011, 14:57
Does Josh usually do the Shuttle from North Springs?

Awol1970
01-19-2011, 15:01
Does Josh usually do the Shuttle from North Springs?

LOL! A rousting drive on a forest service road is what I would consider a primo start to a thru-hike.:D

MkBibble
01-19-2011, 16:35
the north spring marta station is MUCH faster for shuttle drivers to get in and out of. it will only take you about 45 minutes to their by train from the airport, and is very easy.

i have ridden with josh before and it didn't seem fast, but i WAS in the front seat...

HH is an incredible value. they could easily charge much much more than they do. if i would have paid only what they asked for, i wouldn't have been able to live with the guilt...

gipcgirl
01-19-2011, 19:26
Does anyone know if the Hiker Hostel in GA is still open? I have sent E-mail and no reply, I have called and the phone is Temporarily out of service.
I have had recent emails from HH (in the last 2 days) they are always busy but go out of there way to accomodate and help as many hikers as they can. I stayed with them last year, after collecting me from the train station, organising a shopping trip and drop off at Springer not to mention the awesome breakfasts, very friendly and helpful. I am staying again with them this year and am looking forward to it. Don't give up maybe they are having communication problems etc. Nice people.

walrus5757
01-22-2011, 02:53
I was able to contact HH by phone and asked them to reply to my e-mail I had sent. They did...Now I am waiting for them to reply to my reservation request. It sounds like they are great people. THANKS for all of the replys. See you on the trail.

walrus5757
01-23-2011, 01:59
Reservations made...All is well. Atlanta, here I come.
See you on the trail.

Marta
01-23-2011, 20:21
Reservations made...All is well. Atlanta, here I come.
See you on the trail.

Yay! Have a great hike!