PDA

View Full Version : Lunar Duo

STICK
01-18-2011, 22:27
Well, I finally got another tent for 2, the Lunar Duo. Green with the UL floor and I went ahead and ordered another sheet of Tyvek for a ground cloth. I am letting him seam seal it so it will take a few extra days to get here, but maybe by this weekend or early next week!

khumbukat
01-18-2011, 22:53
Just got one as well. We got grey w/ultra light floor. Used for the first time this weekend in Pt. Reyes National Seashore. This tent is amazing. The space to weight ratio can't be beat. Can't wait to see how it performs on a stormy night. Gonna get some longer stakes and hope for the best.

10-K
01-18-2011, 23:15
Just got one as well. We got grey w/ultra light floor. Used for the first time this weekend in Pt. Reyes National Seashore. This tent is amazing. The space to weight ratio can't be beat. Can't wait to see how it performs on a stormy night. Gonna get some longer stakes and hope for the best.

I can't think of one bad thing to say about this tent - amazing is the right word.

You won't be disappointed on a stormy night - I've been through some really, really bad thunderstorm / high wind situations with mine and stayed dry as a bone.

You'll still be figuring out ways to get a better pitch 5 years from now.

STICK
01-18-2011, 23:16
Right now I am going to stick with my 7.5" MSR Groundhogs but I would like to try some of those Ti-Eye or the CorkScrew Mountainfitter titanium stakes...I am definitely anxious to get it in though!

khumbukat
01-18-2011, 23:44
I didn't try, but is it possible to pitch the tent with the canopy touching the ground all the way around? I'm thinking this would be the best way to keep high wind out. I know this would be bad for ventilation, but in a big storm...

rockytop7
01-19-2011, 00:01
I have a Lunar Solo, and I'm not sure if I would ever want to pitch it with the walls all the way to the ground, or if its even possible? You may be able to get the walls opposite the door, but I don't think the material is cut in such a way as to get it all touching. And if you could, that would be a very non-optimal pitch, IMO. I would think it's better to pitch it normal and maybe try and get it a little lower, I don't think wind would be that much of an issue.

STICK
01-19-2011, 00:15
How about if the trekking poles were not extended to a full 45". Wouldn't this lower the entire tent enough for the edges to be nearer the ground? Only problem I can think of with this (other than the obvious condensation) is that the floor would be entirely on the ground and the mesh wouldn't do well to keep water from coming up on the floor. From what I can tell the tent does not have a bathtub style floor anyway.

SMSP
01-19-2011, 00:18
I got see the Lunar Duo this past weekend from Chii36. I was impressed with it's size and layout. Not only are their two vestibules, but the overhang on the ends appear to offer gear coverage if needed.

STICK - I think I forsee another backyard camp out forthcoming.............

SMSP

10-K
01-19-2011, 07:50
I didn't try, but is it possible to pitch the tent with the canopy touching the ground all the way around? I'm thinking this would be the best way to keep high wind out. I know this would be bad for ventilation, but in a big storm...

You'll probably wind up doing this as you get used to pitching the tent without even trying. It will work but pitched correctly wind isn't a problem (try it and see) and the ventilation is important if you have 2 people in the tent.

Honestly, the tent is so big that I don't think one person could breathe enough to cause a serious condensation problem no matter how you pitch it.

But, setting it up properly is the best way to get a good pitch. There are so many ways you can tweak the pitch that you can make just about anything work in a pinch though.

STICK
01-20-2011, 18:37
It shipped out today! I can't wait for it to get here...

bigcranky
01-20-2011, 21:54
I can't think of one bad thing to say about this tent - amazing is the right word.

You won't be disappointed on a stormy night - I've been through some really, really bad thunderstorm / high wind situations with mine and stayed dry as a bone.

You'll still be figuring out ways to get a better pitch 5 years from now.

+1 on all three points. Absolutely love our Lunar Duo.

Chop
01-21-2011, 00:23
I got see the Lunar Duo this past weekend from Chii36. I was impressed with it's size and layout. Not only are their two vestibules, but the overhang on the ends appear to offer gear coverage if needed.

STICK - I think I forsee another backyard camp out forthcoming.............

SMSP

I have tucked my shoes under the end and it is fine.

RE: Bathtub floor. This is probably the one area that I am not crazy about with the Lunar Duo. I don't feel like the floors really comes up much at all on the sides.

Other than the above, really like the tent, and intend on taking it on a thru this summer.

SweetAss03
01-21-2011, 00:31
Got mine for Christmas. This weekend was the first nice weekend that I could set it up in the yard and get the seams sealed. I can't wait for spring! It is an amazing tent! Huge!

hikingshoes
01-21-2011, 00:48
Well, I finally got another tent for 2, the Lunar Duo. Green with the UL floor and I went ahead and ordered another sheet of Tyvek for a ground cloth. I am letting him seam seal it so it will take a few extra days to get here, but maybe by this weekend or early next week!

Hey,STICK!!!Ive had my eye on that one for sometime.My friend used this tent on his thru-hike last yr.and he loves it.We use to see how fast he could put up his tent as i was putting up my tarp/Hammock.Hope you enjoy your new tent.HS:sun

hikingshoes
01-21-2011, 00:54

STICK,See if he will put some stripes of seam seal in the floor.My friend told me his pad would slide around,but after the stripes no more sliding around.Hope this helps.HS

khumbukat
01-21-2011, 01:45
I have found the best method for silnylon floors is a coating of diluted silicone over the entire floor surface. Not only does this eliminate the slip issue, but also increases the waterproofness and adds to the durability. This is the reason I felt comfortable with the ultralight floor option.
Looks like we will be taking this tent trekking in Ecuador and Peru in May and June of this year. Several nights we will be camping above 4000 meters, and that is why I asked about high wind and storms.

Stephan

hikingshoes
01-21-2011, 18:49
Hey,STICK!!!Ive had my eye on that one for sometime.My friend used this tent on his thru-hike last yr.and he loves it.We use to see how fast he could put up his tent as i was putting up my tarp/Hammock.Hope you enjoy your new tent.HS:sun
C:\Users\Owner\Pictures\2010-01-10 Swampfox Passage-2010\Swampfox Passage-2010 002.JPG

Here is a view from my Hammock!!HS:banana

chili36
01-21-2011, 21:53
We love it. This thing has plenty of room. Condensation wasn't an issue with both vestibules zipped shut in 34 degree weather.

There are 6 guyouts on this in addition to the 6 stakes it takes to set it up. I am thinking groundhogs with guy out ropes on those would make this thing bomb proof in high wind.

I was very curious about how it held up in stormy weather and two other people I know who have this tent never experienced a problem. I was at Land Between the Lakes in 2008 when we got hammered in March. I was in a Six Moon Europa and they were both in Lunar Duo's. I had one guy out pull loose on the side, but they didn't have any problems.

This is one piece of gear I would recommend to anyone without hesitation.

STICK
01-22-2011, 01:39
I am letting him seam seal it which is why it didn't ship out til yesterday but I am hoping that it is on my doorstep tomorrow!

I have some SilNet in a tube and I will use it to makes dots on the floor. But nice thing about my Neo is that the bottom is not as slick as other other pads.

STICK
01-23-2011, 00:32
The Lunar Duo arrived today. I briefly set it up in the yard and took some pictures. I wrote an initial review and posted some pics on my blog. Here it is if you are interested:

http://stick13.wordpress.com/2011/01/22/six-moon-designs-lunar-duo-arrives/

STICK
01-24-2011, 19:09
Ok, so I went out and set the tent up again. Again, wow. I am super happy with how happy this tent is to set up. The only thing is that I keep forgetting to put the inner ceiling poles in...as seen in the picture below...

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu88/STICK13/P1000529.jpg

So, there I am laying inside my sleeping bag on my tallest air pad (the Exped SynMat 7). I did not even come close to touching the ceiling at the head or the foot. Sweet.

One thing I think I will have issues with is the way the floor slides. Not the stuff on the inside, but rather the way the whole floor moves around. I would really like to have some small loops on the four corners of the floor so that I could stake the corners down and it be somewhat stationary. For now I think I will put some SilNet dots on top of the Tyvek sheet I am using under the tent (as well as inside the tent). Maybe this way the floor will stick to the Tyvek sheet and become a little less mobile and then the stuff inside the tent will stick to the dots as well... I dunno, I will see. What yall think?

Here is one other picture (wearing my new jacket too!):

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu88/STICK13/P1000531.jpg

SMSP
01-24-2011, 22:18
So, is it really necessary to use the short poles for the roof?

Do they provide stability or just give the tent more shape for entry/exit?
Or, both?

Also, I wonder how long will the elastic cord will last and/or hold-up between the tent corners and the rain fly corners?

Jason

hikingshoes
01-24-2011, 22:32
Ok, so I went out and set the tent up again. Again, wow. I am super happy with how happy this tent is to set up. The only thing is that I keep forgetting to put the inner ceiling poles in...as seen in the picture below...

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu88/STICK13/P1000529.jpg

So, there I am laying inside my sleeping bag on my tallest air pad (the Exped SynMat 7). I did not even come close to touching the ceiling at the head or the foot. Sweet.

One thing I think I will have issues with is the way the floor slides. Not the stuff on the inside, but rather the way the whole floor moves around. I would really like to have some small loops on the four corners of the floor so that I could stake the corners down and it be somewhat stationary. For now I think I will put some SilNet dots on top of the Tyvek sheet I am using under the tent (as well as inside the tent). Maybe this way the floor will stick to the Tyvek sheet and become a little less mobile and then the stuff inside the tent will stick to the dots as well... I dunno, I will see. What yall think?

Here is one other picture (wearing my new jacket too!):

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu88/STICK13/P1000531.jpg

Yep,your making me want it even more!!!!I dont think my friend that thru-hiked last yr.had any problems with the floor.HS

STICK
01-24-2011, 22:54
SMSP, I don't see how the ceiling poles offer any support really. And to be honest, the head room is plenty big enough even with out them. The first picture up there you can plainly see I did not have them in. That is because I forgot. The only way I remembered them is because I saw them laying on the ground around the corner of the tent...

Maybe though, it helps with the slope and getting a more taut pitch. I have not had it up long enough to really tell though. If not, hey I could leave 2.6 oz at home...

As for the floor, I don't think that the elastic will be a problem, however, it is necessary to create the "bathtub floor". By staking out the outer edges this pulls the edges up which forms the bathtub. I really do wish that the 4 corners of the floor could be staked out though so that the floor didn't move around.

Hey HS, I will bring it next time we go to Sipsey! For sure... Can't make it this weekend, we are taking my daughter out for her birthday (she will be 6) then next weekend I am on call...

10-K
01-24-2011, 22:58
SMSP, I don't see how the ceiling poles offer any support really. And to be honest, the head room is plenty big enough even with out them. The first picture up there you can plainly see I did not have them in. That is because I forgot. The only way I remembered them is because I saw them laying on the ground around the corner of the tent...

What sucks is not forgetting to put the spreader poles in - it's forgetting to take them out after I've already pulled out the stakes and trekking poles and am getting ready to fold up the tent.

I do that at least half the time..... :)

chili36
01-24-2011, 23:24
I had the same concern about the floor.

I tend to think that as the tyvek gets "roughed" up some more, it may help.

Silicone on tyvek wouldn't hurt.

I am not sure the header bars are absolutely necessary but to do "arch" out the top. All in all, I am very pleased with the tent and as I use it more, I am sure I will solve the minor issues I have with it.

STICK
01-24-2011, 23:26
10-K, Yep, trying to remember those poles will be something I will have to get used to for sure. After the first time I set it up and I started stuffing it back in the stuff sack I felt something hard and it took me a minute to realize what it was...

So, how about this, do you stuff it or roll it?

hikingshoes
01-25-2011, 01:07

Maybe though, it helps with the slope and getting a more taut pitch. I have not had it up long enough to really tell though. If not, hey I could leave 2.6 oz at home...

As for the floor, I don't think that the elastic will be a problem, however, it is necessary to create the "bathtub floor". By staking out the outer edges this pulls the edges up which forms the bathtub. I really do wish that the 4 corners of the floor could be staked out though so that the floor didn't move around.

Hey HS, I will bring it next time we go to Sipsey! For sure... Can't make it this weekend, we are taking my daughter out for her birthday (she will be 6) then next weekend I am on call...

Sipsey sounds good!!If im not working by then.Tell the little one we said Happy Birthday for use.
Hey,is one of ur poles lower than the other?I was just wondering if it would let the water run off better.HS:sun

STICK
01-25-2011, 01:36
It does look like the pole on the side I am not standing on is lower, but they were both the same when I measured them out. Of course one may have slipped a little or the ground may have been a little unlevel. However, rain will run off of this thing no matter how it is pitched. And there is super coverage all around the tent.

10-K
01-25-2011, 08:58
10-K, Yep, trying to remember those poles will be something I will have to get used to for sure. After the first time I set it up and I started stuffing it back in the stuff sack I felt something hard and it took me a minute to realize what it was...

So, how about this, do you stuff it or roll it?

I roll it and then stuff it in the bag as best I can. It's a tight fit unless everything is perfectly dry and I have a level place to roll it up.

When it's cold, wet and I'm on an unlevel place with a bit of mud and litter it's almost impossible for me to roll it up tight enough to get in in the stuffsack without it becoming a stuff job.

bigcranky
01-25-2011, 09:01
The little ridge poles are a minor PITA, but I like the extra headroom they provide.

We had this thing out in a serious major thunderstorm last summer, and it was totally dry inside. The roof canopy is a single piece of sil nylon, no seams. Slick.

bigcranky
01-25-2011, 09:02
Oh, and I replaced the stuff sack with a roll-top dry bag that easily swallows the whole tent. Then I can put it inside my pack w/o getting everything else wet. Take it out at lunch to dry in the sun, if possible.

STICK
01-25-2011, 11:18
How about misting in heavy rains? In heavy enough rains I get some misting using ny Sil tarp.

skinewmexico
01-25-2011, 11:30
I paid extra to have my Lunar Solo seam sealed. Won't make that mistake again.

STICK
01-25-2011, 13:30
I agree with you in that. I could have saved $30.

bigcranky
01-25-2011, 16:22
We had misting one time in our Double Rainbow, when it was raining harder than I have ever seen. Amazing amounts of water coming from the sky, and a little light mist coming through the fabric. (It wasn't condensation being knocked from the inside, as some people have surmised.) Not enough to be a big deal at that time.

I've been in some very hard rain in the Lunar Duo without any misting, but it wasn't quite up to the epic levels of that one storm.

JohnEbner
01-25-2011, 18:49
Grats on the new tent Stick. Looks like a winner.

STICK
01-25-2011, 18:50
Thanks Big Cranky. I haven't compared the two but I wonder if the silnylons are the same, or if one is heavier than the other. Like I said, I have noticed some misting (and like you said, it was not condensation falling) but it was occasional and it seemed to make louder noises like it was bigger drops.

10-K
01-25-2011, 20:38
Condensation, misting and what not are so dependent on where the tent is pitched that it's hard to make an apples to apples comparison with different people and the same tent.

I can say this - I've had my Lunar Duo out in a few storms so bad I was seriously worried about getting blown off the mountain - I mean really, really hard thunderstorms with ferocious winds - and I've stayed completely and totally dry.

And again, where it's pitched and attention to detail when pitching it is probably a good part of the reason why. The more you use it the better you'll get at putting it up.

STICK
01-26-2011, 18:33
Thanks 10-K. I will say that using my tarp has taught me a little about what you have described. As far as correct pitch, and even where it is pitched. Even in an A-Frame pitch, a tarp can collect condensation....

I can't wait to take this thing out...

Spokes
01-26-2011, 18:41
Here's a question for all you Lunar Solo/Duo owners:

What size tent stakes work best for you? I need some for my Solo but don't want to waste money experimenting.

Cheers!

10-K
01-26-2011, 18:48
Here's a question for all you Lunar Solo/Duo owners:

What size tent stakes work best for you? I need some for my Solo but don't want to waste money experimenting.

Cheers!

I think the Easton 9" stakes would be perfect but I've only been able to find the 8" ones which are adequate.

Regular tent stakes aren't quite long enough to get the lift I need for proper air flow.

STICK
01-26-2011, 21:07
Currently I have a set of MSR Groundhogs which are 7.5" but I would love to try some of the Ti-Eye and the Corkscrew Mountainfitter titanium stakes eventually (and I will...) The Ti-Eye stakes are being sold in 6" but he will also have them available in 8" soon. I think the corkscrews are only in 6" and not sure if he plans on making some 8" or not. However, the groundhogs are great stakes.

10-K
01-26-2011, 21:13
Keep in mind the higher you can pitch it the more headroom you'll have. That's not an issue in the Duo because it's so palatial but on the Solo it's pretty important.

STICK
01-26-2011, 21:58
10-K, so are you actually inserting the stakes all the way in the ground or leaving them partially exposed to get a higher pitch?

(Maybe I am reading into it... :) )

10-K
01-26-2011, 22:05
10-K, so are you actually inserting the stakes all the way in the ground or leaving them partially exposed to get a higher pitch?

(Maybe I am reading into it... :) )

I leave as much of the stake visible as possible and raise the strap on the tent as high as possible on the stakes - on a Groundhog it would be the notch at the top of the stake where the cord is. The Easton 8" stakes allow quite a bit more rise than the Groundhogs and I wish I could find some 9" ones.

Actually, with the Duo and Solo both I carry an extra stake(s) and guy out the vestibule(s) separately from the line that is extended on the sides that hold up the pole(s). (If this doesn't make sense, never mind :) )