PDA

View Full Version : Bubba Burger? good or nasty?

Wise Old Owl
01-19-2011, 00:30
Not much to do with hiking - sorry.... But the wife came home with these frozen planks of nasty... I may be old school but who eats a grey frozen bugger? If you grab hamburger meat from the store it lean and red. Would you eat a grey tomato? I think not... I looked at this and I know they are jumping off the shelves but come on,-People are so lazy they cant make their own patties? What is in it that makes it that color? Not even frozen Mc Donalds looks that bad.

I jammed them into the george forman and fed them to the dog. They shrink by 1/3! they are so loaded with fat.

Rugby licked my face to death.

If she comes home with it again, I might go vegan.

So help me I will choke if I see this stuff on July 4th.

Mrs Baggins
01-19-2011, 07:12
My son likes them but it has more to do with the convenience than the taste. I tried buying some that were "100% Organic." They were 200% vile in every way - taste, texture, even appearance. I'll just buy a package of ground beef from now on.

Wise Old Owl
01-19-2011, 08:15
Thanks _ I knew I would get a chuckle

10-K
01-19-2011, 08:17
It's like frozen pizza, only a hamburger.

SamXp
01-19-2011, 08:56
Might have picked up an old box. I've bought Bubba Burgers that were a healthy pink right out of the box. They do shrink down and are loaded with fat, but there's no easier way to fill up the bellies of guests than fatty burgers so that's my modus operandi when the guys come over.
I save the hand made patties for people who know the difference (not many of those these days). Each patty generally gets nearly a full clove of garlic! Oh yeah.

max patch
01-19-2011, 09:41
They're not bad, and easily the best of the frozen patties. I used to keep a box in the freezer for emergencies.

Too high in fat though; haven't eaten one in years. Read the box.

Tennessee Viking
01-19-2011, 10:21
When I used to work Target, I cooked some tasty frozen hamburgers patties. I think it was Birchwood. You can usually find them at higher end grocery stores.

sarbar
01-19-2011, 13:00
It's like frozen pizza, only a hamburger.

I am cracking up, that says it perfectly!

Old Hiker
01-19-2011, 13:07
I use the Wally-World brand patties. They used to have 95% meat, but now the highest is 85%.

This is just for the quickie factor: slap them frozen on the grill, make more than necessary and have leftovers the next day or so.

I haven't hand made burgers in years. I toss the HB packs into the freezer as soon as I get home, as I don't use them immediately.

Wise Old Owl
01-19-2011, 21:50
Nobody else said it was nasty .... oh well

TheChop
01-19-2011, 22:04
Can't stand that type of crap. I've never priced it out but buying ground chuck in those tubes has to be cheaper and better quality than pre-made frozen hamburgers. How much time are you saving? Take meat, roughly mold it, put on grill. You're saving yourself 5-10 seconds?

TheChop
01-19-2011, 22:17
To go further and reenforce your distaste of them it always bums me out when you go over to somebody's house for a cookout and they pull out those. You're making ten or so burgers. I can see if it's a massive ordeal where you've got to feed 40-50 people but really you couldn't spring the extra buck or two? I know it's free food and I'd never say it to anyone's face but geez. It's ground beef. It's ONE INGREDIENT. It's not like you've got to do meat origami to make a patty.

So yeah I'm with you man. It's like buying a frozen peeled banana because it's slightly easier to fix...

Black Wolf
01-19-2011, 23:26

I say...NASTY..I had a roommate years back that loved this things...$00.25 Mac&Cheese and few Bubba burgers and he had meal...I called 'em hockey pucks...

Erin
01-20-2011, 00:03
Laughing...if you look closely, you can see the spur marks. Yuck.

JaxHiker
01-20-2011, 15:10
I guess I'll be the oddball. I love the Vidalia onion ones. Mmmm. :D

Mrs Baggins
01-20-2011, 15:52
To go further and reenforce your distaste of them it always bums me out when you go over to somebody's house for a cookout and they pull out those. You're making ten or so burgers. I can see if it's a massive ordeal where you've got to feed 40-50 people but really you couldn't spring the extra buck or two? I know it's free food and I'd never say it to anyone's face but geez. It's ground beef. It's ONE INGREDIENT. It's not like you've got to do meat origami to make a patty.

So yeah I'm with you man. It's like buying a frozen peeled banana because it's slightly easier to fix...

My husband and I once sat down and hand-made 60 hamburger patties for a party we were having. It was never even a question not to do it ourselves. The box of Bubba Burgers is in the freezer for when my son wants a quick meal and not I'm not around. If I'm home and he wants burgers for dinner (and I love a good burger) I'll make a trip to the store for the ground beef and make them myself. Sometimes, when I can find it, I mix in a pound of ground bison meat, too. MMMMM Good! :D

max patch
01-20-2011, 15:56
It's ground beef. It's ONE INGREDIENT.

It isn't when I make a burger.

Wise Old Owl
01-20-2011, 19:14
Laughing...if you look closely, you can see the spur marks. Yuck.

You are kidding... It doesn't moo if it unidentifiable!

Wise Old Owl
01-20-2011, 19:15
My husband and I once sat down and hand-made 60 hamburger patties for a party we were having. It was never even a question not to do it ourselves. The box of Bubba Burgers is in the freezer for when my son wants a quick meal and not I'm not around. If I'm home and he wants burgers for dinner (and I love a good burger) I'll make a trip to the store for the ground beef and make them myself. Sometimes, when I can find it, I mix in a pound of ground bison meat, too. MMMMM Good! :D

I will be right over..... :D

Feral Bill
01-20-2011, 20:09
If you have to ask...

Wise Old Owl
01-20-2011, 20:32
Yea FB we are askin WHAT IS IN A BB buger?

Roche
01-20-2011, 20:35
What the hell is in scrapple?

max patch
01-20-2011, 20:36

The crap thats not good enough to put in a Bubba Burger.

Mrs Baggins
01-21-2011, 09:01

As they say about "hash" in the south...."everything but the squeal."

SamXp
01-21-2011, 10:14

I do it deliberately because the mass majority doesn't appreciate the effort. When I have friends over that do appreciate the effort, I go the extra mile. Three hours of laboring over the perfect batch of sushi rice and a fine Sashimi grade Tuna and creative, carefully constructed sushi rolls and I know they'll appreciate the effort.
Bubba Burgers taste good enough when they're cooked right, though. Two flips, that's it.

Wise Old Owl
01-21-2011, 10:26
I think they left out the moo and replaced it with the worst of scrapple.

Spokes
01-21-2011, 12:58
Not too keen on the Bubba Burger. Taste like flavored cardboard to me.

I grilled up a dozen or so Kirkland brand frozen all beef hamburger patties for a get together a couple weeks ago and they were yum-yum good! Found 'em at Costco.

Roche
01-21-2011, 15:20
I think they left out the moo and replaced it with the worst of scrapple.Thanks for the warning. I've had scrapple....

MyName1sMud
08-24-2011, 17:56
isn't the red in the meat food coloring?

hamburger meat is supposed to be brown naturally. :D

Sierra Echo
08-24-2011, 18:13
Oh my GOODNESS!!! This has nothing to do with the AT!!! *gasp* This thread shouldn't be allowed to see the light of day. Someone quick~! call a mod! Oh be still my beating heart!

DaveSail
08-24-2011, 18:20
The only ingredients are beef ; ( unless you get the ones with cheese or onions . ) They have to be done on a grill . Won't work in a fry - pan .
The Black Angus are the best . All animals are organic . So , of course , beef is organic . Leave them on the grill till juices start to come up .
Then , do the other side . They have always been great for me . But , they are expensive !

So , lately , I buy the freah - ground , ( not in plastic or frozen , ) 80 / 20 Angus , in one - pound quantities . Cut each in thirds , and make
three patties . [ Bubba Burgers are 1/3 pound each . ] Wrap each in plasic - wrap then in foil . Freeze . Instant Bubba - Burgers !

He does SOMETHING to the meat to make it hold together on the grill . I don't know what , as nothing shows on the ingredient list !

If you drive into NYC on the NJ Tpk , there is a giant billboard : " New York ( Heart ) Bubba Burgers " .

David V. Webber

Wise Old Owl
08-24-2011, 22:20
Oh my GOODNESS!!! This has nothing to do with the AT!!! *gasp* This thread shouldn't be allowed to see the light of day. Someone quick~! call a mod! Oh be still my beating heart!

OMG men and beef - even Genevieve didn't care.....

WHERES THE BEEF CLICK HERE

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0pb8QyB9iM)

harryfred
08-24-2011, 22:29
I use the Wally-World brand patties. They used to have 95% meat, but now the highest is 85%.

This is just for the quickie factor: slap them frozen on the grill, make more than necessary and have leftovers the next day or so.

I haven't hand made burgers in years. I toss the HB packs into the freezer as soon as I get home, as I don't use them immediately.
+1 I do hand pat local, unfrozen, lean, I gound it myself, beef. but I am up to a bit of lazyness. It is better than McD:):banana

harryfred
08-24-2011, 22:32
[QUOTE=10-K;1097389]It's like frozen pizza, only a hamburger.[/QUOTE
Agreed

Sierra Echo
08-24-2011, 22:35
OMG men and beef - even Genevieve didn't care.....

WHERES THE BEEF CLICK HERE

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0pb8QyB9iM)

I don't think any men have posted in this thread. Males, yes. Men, no.

harryfred
08-24-2011, 22:37
I agree do not like Bubba Burger. The Wally World LEAN burgers are acceptable, If I am being lazy.

Wise Old Owl
08-24-2011, 22:50
I don't think any men have posted in this thread. Males, yes. Men, no.

MY REPLY

10 characters or less
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmBMi2djzRA)

Tuckahoe
08-24-2011, 22:52
Lean burgers??? what the hell?? Heritics!

Sierra Echo
08-24-2011, 22:53
MY REPLY

10 characters or less
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmBMi2djzRA)

I'm not clicking on your links. If you have something to say, then just say it.

Wise Old Owl
08-24-2011, 22:56
Someday you will discover men only jest and are having fun, (not at your exspense)

It's SNL's Lowered Expectations... Harmless.

LDog
08-24-2011, 23:41
Right off the grill, it's hot n nasty! A real Jim Dandy!

DapperD
08-25-2011, 00:07
Not much to do with hiking - sorry.... But the wife came home with these frozen planks of nasty... I may be old school but who eats a grey frozen bugger? If you grab hamburger meat from the store it lean and red. Would you eat a grey tomato? I think not... I looked at this and I know they are jumping off the shelves but come on,-People are so lazy they cant make their own patties? What is in it that makes it that color? Not even frozen Mc Donalds looks that bad.

I jammed them into the george forman and fed them to the dog. They shrink by 1/3! they are so loaded with fat.

Rugby licked my face to death.

If she comes home with it again, I might go vegan.

So help me I will choke if I see this stuff on July 4th.I used to buy frozen burgers many moons ago, but quit after hearing about all the different cases with people getting sick with E.Coli, etc...A lot of that type of frozen burger meat is nasty. The sources could easily be old, sickly cows that are bought on the cheap. Also the thought of frozen meat inadvertently becoming unthawed and then refozen and sold to unsuspecting consumers is unsettling and something to seriously consider also:eek:.

Rain Man
08-25-2011, 10:01
If you grab hamburger meat from the store it lean and red.

You know why it's so red?! And the answer has nothing to do with nature.

Rain Man

max patch
08-25-2011, 10:26

Rain Man

And that beautiful pink salmon in the grocers case has had some "help" also.

Sierra Echo
08-25-2011, 15:48
Someday you will discover men only jest and are having fun, (not at your exspense)

It's SNL's Lowered Expectations... Harmless.

WOO, you know I have to just give you grief sometimes!
And Lowered Expectations use to come on MadTV! :P

Wise Old Owl
08-26-2011, 00:33

Rain Man

OK I will bite, Rainman what are they doing to make it red - I heard about the pink salmon getting help.

Maddog
08-26-2011, 03:00
Ground Beef Color - Red versus Gray-Purple Meat The bright red color of ground beef is often used by consumers as a selection factor when purchasing hamburger, but a dark gray-purple color may not necessarily be a bad thing.

All warm-blooded animals contain a pigment called myoglobin in meat tissues. This pigment is normally a dark grayish-purple but when it comes in contact with oxygen, it becomes oxymyoglobin and reacts by turning a deep red color. Meats that are vacuum-packed have not been exposed to oxygen long enough to turn red.

It is for that eye-pleasing coloration that most fresh ground beef sold in clear packages at the market is packaged using a clear film that is oxygen permeable. The oxygen goes through the film and allows the meat to turn that pretty red color we associate with fresh beef. This is why it is not recommended to freeze meat in store packaging.:)

DaveSail
08-26-2011, 15:02
Yes , and that is why you should take ground - beef out of the store packaging as soon as you get it home .
Wrap it properly , and freeze it if you are not going to use it immediately . [ I use plasic - wrap first , and
then aluminum foil . The plastic tends to " relax " and un - seal the meat . So , when I want to use it , I
just remove the foil and defrost it in the microwave still in it's plastic. No mess ! ] Also, the white foam trays
may not be perfectly sterile ! They come in tall , shrink - wrapped stacks , and once opened , they are
exposed to " whatever " 'till the stack is used up !! DVW