PDA

View Full Version : Mid-March start clothes

Aquaman12
01-19-2011, 08:24
I'm pretty new to posting on these forums but have reading for a while. I plan on starting my thru mid-march 2012. I haven't done a lot of cold weather hiking but plan on it spring and fall this year to prepare. I'm unsure of how much insulation I'll be needing. I realize it comes down to preferance but I'm trying to get an idea so I can get out ASAP. My thoughts so far is: microweight T smartwool baselayer, longsleeve mdweight smartwools, north face 300wt fleece jacket, midweight smartwool bottoms, convertible nylon pants, and using frogg toggs as a rain suit/ windstop. Not sure if I should drop the money to buy some sort of down jacket or sweater or if what I have will do. Any input would be great. Just trying to take in the knowledge.

Aquaman12
01-19-2011, 08:26
Sry, this is a NOBO hike.

4shot
01-19-2011, 09:08
that's a good list. If you decide to go for a down jacket instead of the fleece, pick up a Land's end model at Christmas. usually will be on sale for about $50 or so. I carried one the whole way (it makes a great pillow). I think it was one of the best value items gear-wise in my pack. add 2-3 pair of socks to your list as well.

10-K
01-19-2011, 09:17
Don't forget a pair of mittens and something to cover your neck and head.

Aquaman12
01-19-2011, 10:07
As far as socks go I am undecided between smartwools or injinji. From what I have read the injinjis wear rather quickly. I do plan on carrying light gloves or glove liners.

garlic08
01-19-2011, 10:14
It's a tough question about the down layer--I struggled with that one, too, for my early April start. I ended up carrying a cheap 12-oz down vest for the first month. I was happy with that and would recommend something similar. I would have survived without it, but I would have had a few cold camps (or I could have bailed out into town). I carried a Marmot Driclime jacket instead of a fleece, which is lighter and less bulky.

Aquaman12
01-19-2011, 10:51
The lands end site is having a 70% off sale and the lghtweight down jackets are 35 bucks. Sounds like a steal to me. Has anybody else tried these out and what are your thoughts.

swjohnsey
01-19-2011, 12:23
The have the 100 wt fleece pullover for around $13. You have enouch cold weather stuff for Alaska. The only time you need it is when you are sitting still in camp. Even when the temp at night drops to freezing, daytime temps should be in the 50s. Fleece gloves, hat and maybe scarf are a godsend.

Spokes
01-19-2011, 14:24
Basic NOBO clothing system (ala, the Mountain Crossings Method (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4)) is:

- light and mid-weight (top and bottom) base layer ( I used Patagonia 1 and 3's)
- short sleeve synthetic shirt
- baggy nylon shorts
- rain jacket and pants
- synthetic or down filled jacket
- socks (2 pairs)- I used Bridgedale Trekker's but came to like Vermont Darn Tough socks!

I started with an REI synthetic jacket but bought a MontBell down jacket as soon as I got to Neels Gap. Ended up being the best purchase of the whole trip and I carried it the entire way. I added a very lightweight fleece pullover in the Whites.

Cheers!

Blissful
01-19-2011, 20:21
Or convertible pants and skip the shorts and lightweight lower base layer
I would also take a third pair of socks.

Pommes
01-20-2011, 00:14
The mountain crossing method is what im going with. This is te best idea ive seen out there. Plus it only takes about 4 days to get to your first oufitter on the AT. I say go with the mountain crossing method at first and then tweek it after you been on the trail a few days.