PDA

View Full Version : Appropriate raingear & layers for a CT hike

Tilly
01-19-2011, 10:39
Hello fellow hikers,

What kind of raingear or lack thereof did you use on your hike?

Traditionally I've carried a rain jacket/pants (especially in the spring/fall) and a pack cover. I know pack covers don't work for everyone but they work for me. I've also used only a poncho, traded out pants for a rainskirt, and at one point carried like 3 pounds of raingear. This is all for rainy E. coast hiking.

At first I thought I'd use a poncho & pack cover but I don't know if that will keep me warm enough, as I often hike in my rain jacket and pants if it's cold.

Secondly, I bring running stretch pants to hike in when it's cold/shoulder seasons. Will I need something for my legs on the CT for a late June and July hike?

Thanks!

Mags
01-19-2011, 15:21
I personally do not like ponchos for hiking in CO, but that is me.

Here's my current gear list for CO

http://www.pmags.com/mags-gear-list

I hike in shorts and long underwear. Above treeline, the need for it can happen any time of the year. But, other people may have different takes

If you have any questions, please let me know!

maybe clem
01-19-2011, 15:44
About how many days of rain did you get on your thru, Mags?

Mags
01-19-2011, 22:08
About how many days of rain did you get on your thru, Mags?

I hiked in early Fall, so there is less rain. I did get caught in one nasty snowstorm, though, at 12500' on Labor Day weekend. :eek:

Based on the OP's time frame, afternoon t-storms almost daily are more likely as opposed to multi-days of rain like the AT or the Pacific NW.

fiddlehead
01-19-2011, 23:29
Frogg Toggs work for me.
I also did the CT trail early (2000) and rain wasn't a huge factor although wind was.
I'd stay away from the poncho.

garlic08
01-20-2011, 00:19
I agree, ponchos aren't the nicest garments above treeline. A light rain shell with a good hood is fine. Rain pants aren't critical IMO. I just wear long trousers and no shorts or long underwear. I now have a pair of homemade silnylon rain pants that only weigh a few ounces so I usually bring them on long hikes above treeline, just for comfort in the monsoon storms.

I'm starting to think of a COT thru next summer, so maybe I'll see you out there.

Tilly
01-20-2011, 09:30
Thanks everyone for your input.

I am putting the poncho idea aside. They're a little lighter than my regular rainstuff but I was worried about the wind generated by afternoon TS, esp. above treeline.

Hole-In-The-Hat
01-20-2011, 11:03
On your question about pants: you will definitely want pants of some kind for the CT, especially for evening, early morning and rain. Overnight lows can easily be 25-30 degrees...

q-tip
02-26-2011, 16:04
Planning the CT thru in June-Aug. I found using a 39 gal. trashbag as a rain skirt is excellent, and a 39 gal. bag cut as a jacket are the best rain gear I have. Bringing Marmot Precip ( mostly for cold), Mont Bell Wind Parka and Mont Bell ul rainpants. I think I should stay dry and worm most of the way.

300winmag
03-10-2011, 23:59
A PACKA poncho/pack cover is about the best rain top you can have for backpacking. Wish I had one but I spent my descretionary funds on a CC Sidewinder stove W/ Inferno kit.

In the meantime I'll be taking my Cabela's PacLite GTX parka but not the Cabela's Pac Lite pants. (I think.)