PDA

View Full Version : Hammock camping on an AT thru-hike

ryan850
01-19-2011, 11:20
Have any of you used a hammock tent for a thru-hike? Did you have problems with that? I have a Clark NX-150 and love it. It's 3 lbs 6 oz, but when you figure you don't need a ground cloth or pad its not bad. It also has pockets on the outside that I stuff clothes, rain coat, and other supplies into to help insulate. I've used it in temps around 28-32 degrees, so understand what that is like. My concern is more in that I will have areas where finding a spot to hang it will be a problem. Due to lack of trees or certain regulations.

Any experience on this would be great appreciated. I am planning on starting a sobo hike in early June 2012..

strollingalong
01-19-2011, 11:38
I'm going to hammock it. the green tunnel won't provide problems for trees. and where you can't hammock, you can´t tent either. I don't think there are any more problems than that

strollingalong
01-19-2011, 11:38
apart from obviously looking after the trees you use.

ryan850
01-19-2011, 11:43
apart from obviously looking after the trees you use.

I use the tree straps, even though it adds a few ounces. They have worked great so far leat aving the trees as I left them.

ryan850
01-19-2011, 11:52
Thanks for the info, and the reassurance. I've gotten so used to sleeping and sitting in the hammock. I have a lot less back pain in the morning and sleep more soundly.

TheYoungOne
01-19-2011, 11:57
There is a series of youtube video from a guy called Etherbud that did a thru-hike with a Hennessy Hammock, however it seems he was big into shelters and just used the hammock as a backup.

Cookerhiker
01-19-2011, 11:59
Have any of you used a hammock tent for a thru-hike? Did you have problems with that? I have a Clark NX-150 and love it. It's 3 lbs 6 oz, but when you figure you don't need a ground cloth or pad its not bad. It also has pockets on the outside that I stuff clothes, rain coat, and other supplies into to help insulate. I've used it in temps around 28-32 degrees, so understand what that is like. My concern is more in that I will have areas where finding a spot to hang it will be a problem. Due to lack of trees or certain regulations.

Any experience on this would be great appreciated. I am planning on starting a sobo hike in early June 2012..

Welcome to WB:welcome! If you search around the WB forums you'll see lots of existing threads on almost any subject. Re. hammocks, there's an entire series of threads here: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=104

Shrkbit143
01-19-2011, 12:24
Check out http://www.hammockforums.net/ for more info on hammocking the trail

Doc Mike
01-19-2011, 13:45
read "300 zeroes" he used a hammock

JaxHiker
01-19-2011, 14:24
I can't imagine (or don't want to imagine) hiking w/o a hammock. Shelters certainly don't appeal to me for sleeping and neither does the ground.

rockytop7
01-19-2011, 22:01
Once you make it south later in the year it might get cold, but you'll def have enough trees!

RadioFreq
01-21-2011, 16:47
Don't forget the underquilt.

bear bag hanger
01-21-2011, 18:03
I used a hammock for the whole way during my 2004 AT thru hike. No real problems. Sometimes you can hang inside a shelter, but be careful - during my Long Trail hike a guy managed to bring down a whole shelter by hanging from the corner and a outside tree.

hikingshoes
01-21-2011, 18:08
Attroll use his hammock all the way.Check his thru-hike out. http://www.youtube.com/user/attroll1

pelicanme
01-21-2011, 18:36
I did the southern 300 miles of the AT with a Clark North American last Spring and had no difficulties.

Abatis1948
12-14-2014, 09:47
Those of you that have hiked the AT using a hammock, I wouldlike to know your personal system and how it handled the weather. I have hikedmost all of the Georgia sections many times, but have most always used a tent.My last three overnighters have been with a hammock and I have found I restbetter. I plan my hike for 2016, andwill be using a hammock for the whole hike, except for the GSMNP. Anyinformation and advice for using a hammock on the trail will be well received.
Thanks.

ALLEGHENY
12-14-2014, 11:22
Used my Clark N.A. the whole way on my 2012 AT thru hike. It lasted me 8 years. I just bought a new one. I used thermarest ridgerest pad. Hung it any place I saw fit. Kept me safe.

SouthMark
12-14-2014, 22:08
Susan "Hammock Hanger" Turner used a hammock for her entire thru and so have many others. In fact she used her hammock and so did two of my friends for their JMT thru which would be a much much greater hammock challenge than the green tunnel.

Cuacoatchoo
12-15-2014, 03:31
You'll definately see hammocks on the AT.

Regarding saving weight on the sleeping pad. Keep in mind that a couple sections including the GSMNP and white mountains might require you to sleep in the shelters on wooden bunks. Sleeping pads are worth their weight in gold. Couple of the AT hostels also have wood bunks as well.

Since those sections are relatively small you could just mail yourself a pad for those sections.

Dochartaigh
12-15-2014, 10:18
You're basically stuck using a pad in a hammock if you're going to through hike in it I think (with wings on the side to keep you warm. Otherwise you have to carry your underquilt for when you hang, and lug around an extra pad for when you have to sleep on the ground - tough choice for many as most find underquilts MUCH more comfortable when sleeping in a hammock (besides the times when it's like -10º out when a pad can insulate better for the weight than an underquilt). I'm only planning on doing section hikes so YMMV on what you want to bring on your extended trip.

Connie
12-15-2014, 11:19
Is it possible to have an uninflated air mattress in the hammock, without getting too warm, because it would not be "breatheable" and no underquilt, then, use the air mattress if you have to sleep in a shelter or hostel with wood benches or wood slats "beds" or have to go to ground?

wdanner
12-15-2014, 15:16
Holy resurrected thread, Batman!

Connie
12-15-2014, 20:00
It got "resurrected" in post #16.

I am interested. Any experience?

scope
12-15-2014, 21:05
Those of you that have hiked the AT using a hammock, I wouldlike to know your personal system and how it handled the weather. I have hikedmost all of the Georgia sections many times, but have most always used a tent.My last three overnighters have been with a hammock and I have found I restbetter. I plan my hike for 2016, andwill be using a hammock for the whole hike, except for the GSMNP. Anyinformation and advice for using a hammock on the trail will be well received.
Thanks.

My system is pretty standard, though I do have a large tarp with doors on the end. "Weather" is typically two things, wet and wind. Hammock systems deal with wet better than tents. Folks often interpret an open tarp as being open to weather, but if you're hanging in trees, you don't get as much windblown rain. There will be a lighter colored hex shape on the ground below my tarp - I consider this "area" my tent.

The second thing is wind, which is a significant concern with hammocks. Tents block wind pretty well, though there can be issues with getting in staked out, etc. A hammock tarp will block wind as well as a tent in most cases. Sometimes, though, wind will tend to swirl, and if you don't have doors on the ends, you may get some wind channelling through your tarp. That can make even a mild night very cold. You can use an undercover which will help block some wind from underneath, and you can also use a wind sock which completely covers you top and bottom.

Once you learn how to use your system, a hammock setup is more flexible and better for a greater range of temps than a tent setup - IMHO.

Is it possible to have an uninflated air mattress in the hammock, without getting too warm, because it would not be "breatheable" and no underquilt, then, use the air mattress if you have to sleep in a shelter or hostel with wood benches or wood slats "beds" or have to go to ground?

Not quite understanding why you would have an uninflated air mattress in your hammock? Uninflated = no insulation. Too warm only if its 70 and you need the hammock to be breathable. Certainly, you can use an inflated pad instead of an UQ and then you would have that pad for the places you mention.

SouthMark
12-15-2014, 21:19
I carry a Gossamer Gear Gorilla and use a three panel Gossamer Gear Night light as a back pad. I use a 3/4 under quilt and can use the night light under my feet when needed and also when I have to stay in a shelter.

Abatis1948
12-15-2014, 22:19
Scope & SouthMark,
What are your suggestions for quilt, under quilt and/or Pad to handle a mid-March start at Springer? Would you use 10, 20 or 40 degree? I already have a 40 degree under quilt and was wondering if it would hold for lower temps if used with a pad and a 20 degree top quilt. If needed I will spring for a lower degree under quilt. I have done no hammock camping below 45 degrees. Thanks.

scope
12-15-2014, 23:04
Since you have a 40 you can switch to, I'd say go low with a 10 or even a zero (since those are more readily available) UQ. I use a zero into the 40s, but then, I'm a wuss.

Combining insulation types can be tricky. Take my opinion with a grain of salt, though, as I seem to get into these arguments with engineer and physics types who will argue insulation is insulation. I think its much more complex than that. If you take two sleeping bags, using one over the other, you have thicker insulation of the same type and get a legitimate increase in insulation. Down insulates by trapping air, but I believe down insulates more efficiently with warmed air. Put a pad between you and the down, and you are effectively insulating the down from your body heat, such that it more easily loses whatever heat it does trap. For the most part, what you're doing with a pad/quilt combo is making the pad more efficient. In many cases, that can be fine, and you don't need any pad wings because you have an UQ on the sides. There are many folks who use pad/quilt combos with success. Of the folks I know, who I've camped with, only one uses a pad/quilt combo, and its a thin reflective pad like what you use inside your car windshield to insulate the inside from heat. I have my doubts about its effectiveness - though he swears by it - and he does occasionally have to deal with condensation.

Dochartaigh
12-15-2014, 23:06
I've only done hammock camping down to 42º. That was with a 25º 3/4 length Jarbidge (synthetic) underquilt with small CCF pad for my feet, and a Hammock Gear 40º down quilt with 2 ounces of overstuff. I was plenty warm wearing just boxers. Underquilt is much more important than the overquilt for keeping warm people say.

A/B
12-16-2014, 01:50
I did half the AT in 2014 before getting injured; will finish in 2015. My system: NX250 with top quilt. Love it, and many admirers along the way. Heavy, but the poles and pockets make it a tent in the air. Great for occasional privacy, great in the rain to keep gear off the ground. Never had a problem finding a place to hang. Used Whoopieslings. Even with pockets, for me temps below 50 degrees needed some insulation.
Heavy, so I broke down and bought a Hammockgear.com tarp with doors for $300; tough and very light. Top quilt I bought from them, as well; recommended! For comfort in cold and the occasional shelter stay, as well as some hostels, I decided to go with an inflatable. (Tried 1/8" foam, but didn't work for me, especially on the floor). I tried a standard 20x72 Thermarest, but not wide enough in the hammock; I was always fighting with it. Changed to a Therm-A-Rest NeoAir Xlite Large, 25x77. 4 ounces heavier, length I don't need, but the width is perfect and luxurious. Worked so well for me, that I used the air mattress regardless of temp, for the comfort. Total weight, about 6 pounds: 3.5 for hammock with lines, .5 for tarp, 1.2 for quilt and 1.0 for mattress. Luxury set up at the price of weight, but always knew that I could look forward to a good night's sleep.

Abatis1948
12-16-2014, 17:35
Folks,
This is exactly the type of information I am looking for. The first time I used the hammock was at Hawk Mountain this past July. I was just using the hammock with a 40 degree sleeping bag. I woke with my shoulders chilled. Took my Frogg Toggs poncho and covered my shoulders. This worked. My next overnighter was at the Toccoa River Swinging Bridge on the BMT. The temp was in the upper 40’s and I was using a pad with wings and the same 40 degree bag. This worked well. The next time I used a 40 degree UQ and I was sleeping without cover most of the night. I know with what I have I can sleep well down to about 45 to 40 degrees in comfort, but knowing how the weather is in early March in Georgia and NC, I wanted some good advice before I spent high dollars. I like he idea of a tarp with doors. I will start shopping for a 0 degree or 10 degree UQ. Thanks.

Grits
12-16-2014, 19:57
Not quite understanding why you would have an uninflated air mattress in your hammock? Uninflated = no insulation. Too warm only if its 70 and you need the hammock to be breathable. Certainly, you can use an inflated pad instead of an UQ and then you would have that pad for the places you mention.[/QUOTE]

You are right it depends on your system but a air mattress always works better partially inflated and having a double layer hammock vs single layer makes a difference. Check out Shug's videos to learn more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0

Speakeasy TN
12-21-2014, 16:59
I have a 25 degree top and bottom set. I use a neoair in the hammock and have slept down to that. As a hammock newbie I am not getting an ideal fit and was still pretty comfy. The neo will let me go to ground in the Smokies. As it gets warmer, I plan to trade out the quilts for a 40 degree bag. Best stay warm investment was down booties! Teamed with beanie and gloves makes a nice night.

Cuacoatchoo
12-21-2014, 22:53
My buddy tried using a neoair in his hammock on our Mount Rogers trip in Late October. He reported he was pretty cold. Later that winter he got a 20 degree under quilt and reported it was much warmer and comfortable. I recall chuckling a couple times when I heard the sweaking of his neoair as he shifted several times before finally falling out his hammock. (Imagine a thud and a "ooff" noise).

TomN
12-22-2014, 08:32
I use a 20 degree top and bottom quilt and I am comfortable down into the 40s, once it gets in the 30s I get cold but I am a very cold sleeper. I have had a couple times where wind has blown rain under my tarp and gotten stuff wet but normally not a problem. If it is going to be close to freezing much on a trip I take a Squall 2 tent, Xtherm pad and 10 degree GoLite sleeping bag. Much warmer than my hammock.

Flounder940
12-23-2014, 10:58
I used a Jacks R Better Mt. Washington 4 underquilt and a JRB High Sierra Sniveller top quilt, both rated to 0-5 degrees. I left in mid Feb. 2013 and saw single digit temps through the end of March. I also carried one of those Thermarest Zlite egg crate looking mats that I cut a few panels off of to make it closer to torso length. This served as my sit pad or if I went to ground or slept in hostels.

The he thing to remember about the shelter rule in The Smokies is, if the shelter is full, you can tent or hang outside in the vicinity of the shelter. With a mid-March start date, the shelters will be full.