PDA

View Full Version : Which Way Do I Go?

Larry Dean
01-19-2011, 11:23
A change in plans, (my employer's and thus mine), has caused a delay in my 2011 thru hike departure date from mid April to the first of June. Is this too early for a SBO? If so, where is a good starting point for a flip flop? :confused:

Lone Wolf
01-19-2011, 11:26
wait til mid-june and go SOBO

brewcity
01-20-2011, 12:36
I am also interested in a SOBO. I was thinking June 1st. What are the advantages/disadvantages to starting June 1st vs June 15th.

Delta-Dawn
01-20-2011, 13:05
While I don't know for sure, I have been told that in early June the mud and the flies are horrible, that is one of the main reasons I am waiting until July to start. In my opinion, those days are going to be hard enough in the beginning, I don't want to add the misery of constant mud and being bombed by flies to make us lose our mental momentum.

Larry Dean
01-20-2011, 13:42
Delta-Dawn

I too have heard the stories of flies and mud. Have you considered a flip flop? Start in Harpers Ferry in early June NOBO and then return to Harpers Ferry and go SOBO. I am told you will be hiking with early thru NOBO'ers and then catch up with the SOBO hikers after you flip.

If you are in Marietta, we could arrange transportation to W VA??

bigcranky
01-20-2011, 13:50
You can start anywhere from Harper's Ferry to New Jersey on June 1, hit Katahdin, then flip south. The main advantage that I see to this plan is that you get to finish twice -- once in Maine, and once again in Georgia.

Delta-Dawn
01-20-2011, 13:53
I did entertain the thought of a flip-flop, but only briefly. :) I just like the idea of starting there and coming home. It's the journey, ya know? Won't have the same mental and emotional impact if I flop, IMO. Plus, it makes for a better story. ;)

Blissful
01-20-2011, 13:58
Your going to get mud and deerflies even in July. A lot depends too on previous snow - moisture levels, t-storms, etc. And a few river crossings aren't that wonderful either. But I will say if the mtn is open June 1, go for it. Just have DEEt and netting. Much better chance too of finishing south in good weather.

Blissful
01-20-2011, 14:00
You can start anywhere from Harper's Ferry to New Jersey on June 1, hit Katahdin, then flip south. The main advantage that I see to this plan is that you get to finish twice -- once in Maine, and once again in Georgia.

Several did it this year that I met, and they were just as excited and it was just as great a journey for them.

Migrating Bird
01-20-2011, 15:07
I started May 29th last year, very dry year, no people, bugs or mud - just great hiking.

Blissful
01-20-2011, 15:13
I started May 29th last year, very dry year, no people, bugs or mud - just great hiking.

You must've lucked out. We had all three in early July in the 100 mile wilderness. But it was a dry year for snow, they said, comparatively speaking. Last summer was THE year to start early.:)